150 3rd Avenue S #110
Nashville, TN 37201Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesouthernnashville.com/
- Phone: (615) 724-1762
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am, Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matt Farley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Southern and TomKats are pleased to offer a variety of full service catering and event planning options to meet your specific needs. Whether you"re planning a private dinner for 50, or a lavish event for 500, we can customize a menu that is right for you. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
A word from The Southern
Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Southern - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Southern reviews from OpenTable diners
690 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (387)fit for foodies (370)vibrant bar scene (284)good for groups (270)special occasion (255)great for brunch (221)great for lunch (173)neighborhood gem (162)great for outdoor dining (146)notable wine list (72)late-night find (68)romantic (58)kid-friendly (25)scenic view (24)Show More
- A Must for DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014I frequent The Southern often, given it's location to the Symphony Hall, and other attractions. I love the food, love the service, and truly appreciate having such a wonderful restaurant in our city. It made me proud to see it listed in the NY Times. Well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!Emilie6580Dined on 11/21/2014Loved this restaurant, the service was great and the food was awesome. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great high end contender in Nashville.RestuarantRetroDined on 11/21/2014Great ambiance and experience every time I go. This time just not crazy about the beer battered fish for lunch. The sides and drink were above par as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad noiseBigRichDined on 11/21/2014While I often recommend The Southern for lunch, it has become unacceptable for any meaningful discussion due to the high noise level. I recommend going for a late lunch when the noise is more tolerable.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was fabulous! Service was excellent. Really enjoyed our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014On the noisy side but the food was great, wait staff needs to be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern experienceAdventurerDined on 11/19/2014My daughter and I were on our first trip to Nashville and a friendly shuttle driver recommended this restaurant. We walked through on a very busy Monday night football crowd and the place smelled delicious but had an hour wait so we made reservations for mid-week and had a wonderful meal. Service was excellent and the desserts looked heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Flavor ExplosionBethieDined on 11/18/2014The Southern does everything right. The service was excellent, drinks were fantastic, and the food! Oh my goodness. Every bite was full of flavor. You can't go wrong with The Southern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Dine in NashvilleYardleyVIPDined on 11/16/2014Great restaurant! Noisy but the food was great. My hand picked steak was great. My wive's pork chop was also great. The Red Grits (Tapioca with a variety of berries) topped off a great meal. Steven our waiter was great and his recommendations were spot on! Philip the manager was very hospitable and made sure we were well serviced and the food was perfect. I would recommend it to anyone and it is conveniently located near the Johnny Cash and Country Music Hall of Fame Museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DelightCelticThunderFanDined on 11/16/2014Ours was a first time visit to The Southern, selected because of its proximity to the Schermerhorn. Yet, that mundane reason for choosing a restaurant led us into a delightful dining experience. We were greeted warmly, seated immediately, and taken care of in a gracious way. Our orders were brought in short order, and service was attentive throughout the meal. The blue-cheese biscuits and steak appetizer was an excellent starter, and the fish tacos with jicama slaw were quite the treat. Had we know how good the food would be, even the short wait time would have seemed too long! And, of course, the availability of Jeni's ice cream for dessert didn't hurt either! We'll be back -- whether there's a concert or not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome findcablelakegirlDined on 11/16/2014Girls trip to Nashville . It was so awesome we had great food wonderful atmosphere and the people watching was so much funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014No wonder The Southern has quickly garnered such a wonderful reputation. The food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at The SouthernBroBeckDined on 11/16/2014I was impressed all the way around, great ambiance, super food and super service. Sitting in the main room is fun, you can see the kitchen, and bar and hear the live music and the cheerful sounds of other diners makes it more enjoyable. It was our first visit; we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service and Raw Meat :-(KCishereDined on 11/15/2014Service is super slow on a Saturday night after a Predators game, even with a reservation. Also, we ordered a T-Bone to be between medium and medium well, and it came back medium rare. We sent it back and it came back like jerky.Special Features:
- food was good , menu a little priceypakman1Dined on 11/15/2014Food was good , menu a little pricey especially the oysters, service was fairSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a nice dinner for our first visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I think the restaurant has a cool vibe and we enjoyed the energy. I was a little surprised at the pricing which I felt was a bit high considering the dishes were small. I think we will go again, but have different expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best server i have had in yearsrocknrollaVIPDined on 11/15/2014The menu was great and eclectic. Our server made fantastic recommendations on both food, wine and whisky. I had the fish special which was fantastic. Deserts were awesome. Will be back. Make sure to make a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Excellent food, lively fun atmosphere, great bluegrass band playing at our visit! Beautiful bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SoFi02Dined on 11/15/2014I love this place more every time I visit. The food is always great and the service impeccable. You'll want to come back more and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great Servicesarahfinn54Dined on 11/15/2014I would definitely recommend this place for brunch. The atmosphere was great (lots of TVs playing college football), the service was excellent and the options diverse. Mimosas were only $4.00, so impossible to go wrong. As the Southern is known for oysters, I got two and they were really good. I ordered the Southern Fried Egg Sandwich, which I must admit, was only average. The quality of the bacon was great and the fries were amazing. My friend ordered the steak (which they are also known for) and biscuit Benedict, which she really liked. Also, like everywhere in Nashville there was live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Brunch Perfection!EatTravelEatDined on 11/15/2014Fantastic atmosphere, delicious brunch cocktails, killer menu- I really appreciated the mix of breakfast and lunch offerings- overall fabulous Saturday brunch! Tennessee sipping cream with coffee, The Highway, and hot chicken salad shouldn't be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioustalbDined on 11/14/2014This was our favorite meal of the weekend we spent in Nashville. The steaks were fantastic. They were so tender and full of flavor. The chicken fried steak was amazing served over macaroni and greens. You want to make sure you eat here if you are in Nashville! It is very loud here so pick somewhere else if you are out for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumVIPDined on 11/11/2014Cool ambiance, the oysters were really good and we like the grilled option which was surprisingly good. The fish tacos were good but not great as lacked a bit of flavor but the hamburger received top marks. The deviled egg was a nice starter for the group. Drink menu had a number of interesting options but since we went for lunch, decided to hold off on the alcohol.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageVictorDined on 11/10/2014Tried the Southern again. It's still not worth it. Food is ok. Nothing great. Took forever this time to get the food. For the price, it's just not worth it. The Blue Points were good, but that doesn't have a lot to do with the restaurant.
- Love. Hate. Love. Hate.returncustomerVIPDined on 11/10/2014Sometimes on, sometimes off. This time, off--our server disappeared for stretches of time, the food was only all right, and the host was past disengaged and diffident to rude. I get the strong sense this is not a fun place to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and ConvienentBillDined on 11/9/2014Always a pleasure to eat at the Southern before events downtown...Fish and Grits are a sure bet...the Lamb T-bone was not a favorite this time as it was tough and very small portion...stick with the Beef Steaks or seafood...Atmosphere always fun and energetic...great wine list and prices not too far out of lineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014The reservation time was not upheld but the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMPWSDined on 11/9/2014I love going to the Southern for brunch. The menu is not a carbon copy of every other brunch menu, the food is very well prepared and, although it is very, very busy, the service is excellent. Well done, Southern!Special Features:
- DisappointingtwinsDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant gets a lot of hype. It is very, very loud, the service was unattentive and the food was very expensive for the quality. There were 4 of us, we each got something different - only one of us like the dish we ordered. They did have our table ready (we'd made a reservation), and the guys doing the valet parking were on top of it.Special Features:
- A Southern Treatmecelec79Dined on 11/8/2014I took my wife here for an anniversary dinner. The food is great and not too pricey. Close to many attractions downtown. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S. Comfort Food - Lively SettingJennyFDined on 11/8/2014The brucnh menu was fun and inventive but heavy on the deep-fryer, though there are a couple of salds on the menu. Both of my attempts to use the Ladies Room found a line out the door. Hard to believe such a large restaurant meets code with only two ladies room stalls and one sink.Special Features:
- Yum.GidnarbDined on 11/7/2014Best steak I have ever had. My husband thought the mashed potatoes were life changing.Special Features:
- Long waitRockyDined on 11/7/2014Food and service were great. Had to wait almost an hour before they honored our reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterMollyDined on 11/7/2014There was cartoons playing on the TVs and steak was a little overdone. Ordered crabcakes and it was literally 2 bites, smallest ones I've ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodEnjoysfoodDined on 11/7/2014Great Food Fast and very good service. We had great steaks done exactly to our liking with delicious sides. We were going to the taping of the Country Music Christmas Special and we got served and had a very nice dinner with time to spare. Great location in Nashville. Overall a wonderful dinner experience.Special Features:
- So good!!GainesvilleGatorDined on 11/7/2014From start (deviled eggs) to finish (bananas foster bread pudding) everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambiencejohncDined on 11/6/2014I had the chicken fried chicken with squash (very tasty) and great white cheddar mac and cheese. I had mac and cheese in 3 separate places in Nashville and this was the best of the three (others were Jacks and Pucketts). I would order it again in a second. My wifey had the filet which I sampled -- it was great. My only negative to share is the price of drinks -- $20 for a round of two drinks seems a bit unreasonable to me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014The sliders were the best thing on the menu. We wanted to go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hot and spicy!DeltaladyDined on 11/5/2014Bloody Mary's spice was excellent ! Lunch plates were all delicious and the homemade hot sauce was perfect accompaniment! Take a bottle home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not afraid to tell it all brothertellitallbroDined on 11/4/2014We eat all over the world (Hong Kong to NYC, and everything in between) hubby declared he would return "to Southern for a steak that good".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.