575 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3941
- Phone: 2026376100x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch (served in our Bar & Lounge):
11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Saturday
11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tuesday – Friday
Closed Sunday & Monday
5:30 p.m. – 10 p.m., Tuesday – Thursday
5:30 p.m. – 11 p.m., Friday & Saturday
Closed Sunday & Monday
Bar & Lounge:
4 p.m. – 11 p.m., Tuesday – Thursday
4 p.m. – 12 a.m., Friday & Saturday
Closed Sunday & Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Scott Drewno
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact Erica Frank at (202) 637-6106 or email@example.com. Thank you!
- Special Events: Please contact Erica Frank, Catering Sales Manager, at (202) 637-6106 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Source
The Source is the first fine dining restaurant in the nation’s capital headlined by Master Chef Wolfgang Puck. Designed by EDG, the three-level restaurant is the signature dining experience at the Newseum, an interactive museum of news. The Source offers two distinct dining experiences as well as a private room located on the lower level that seats up to 40 guests. The ground floor bar and lounge where guests enter offers approachable dining in a casual setting and features a traditional Japanese Izakaya menu offering sushi, sashimi, noodle dishes and authentic "Robata" grilled dishes. Upstairs, guests can enjoy a menu that features Puck’s modern take on Asian cuisine. The Source is the recipient of many awards and accolades including #3 ranking on Washingtonian Magazine's "Top 100 Restaurants" list, "2008 New Restaurant of the Year" Award and "2008 Restaurant of the Year" from DC Magazine plus has received three stars from Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Source reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)special occasion (100)notable wine list (54)great for lunch (50)romantic (47)hot spot (38)good for groups (35)great for brunch (32)neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (15)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Classy service, decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely dinner at The Source. First and foremost, I must mention the gracious service. Everyone was helpful and kind, and we never felt rushed. Moreover, we happened to mention to our server that we were there to celebrate a special event, and he had a gratis dessert ready for us at the end of our mean--a completely unexpected and lovely gesture. The food was good--nicely presented and certainly tasty. That said, there was little we ate that sent our mouths into orbit. In other words, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal but did not leave thinking "I've got to have that again" (except perhaps for the chocolate souffle!). Finally, although classy, we found the decor a bit cool and corporate.
- Dim Sum Yum!!kmlateVIPDined on 9/27/2014Very nice dim sum brunch on Sat. Drinks were delicious, dumplings were tasty and the buns were yum yum.Special Features:
- The Source had no resourcesBluntbutfairDined on 9/26/2014The food was disappointing, ordinary and pedestrian. Would have no way of knowing the appetizers were anything other than frozen Trader Joe potstickers. The bar was excruciatingly slow, despite the $14.00 price tag on cocktails, some of which we're filled to the brim and others less so. The mains were ok but not up to celebrity chef reputation and prices. A manager hovered about but had no apparent impact on the food service. Overpriced and overrated.Special Features:
- ExquisiteSmartwalker1Dined on 9/26/2014The flavors and presentation of each dish ordered was just exquisite!Special Features:
- W.Puck's The SourcetommyvDined on 9/25/2014Great food. Uniquely prepared Asian dishes that will amaze in an inviting atmosphere. Great location on Pennsylvania Ave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was great, as always. No complaints about the food and service. My only complaint is with the bathrooms. I went a couple of times and there were very long times both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior ExperiencedeliciousdiningbyjeriDined on 9/19/2014The Source is worthy of distinction in the DC firmament of outstanding dining spots in DC. Very Welcoming, superior service, and beyond excellence in food. The lamb chops were yummy, the pork chop was delicious, the steak was to die for, and the sea bass was incredible...A once in a lifetime experience... Worth every penny. yet definitely not a frequent place to dine unless you have won the lottery...if you have, get yourself to The Source..Special Features:
- TashiVIPDined on 9/19/2014A lovely lunch at The Source after a morning at the National Gallery. So nice to have such a fabulous lunch option near one of our favorite museums. The entrees of drunken noodles with shrimp and the steamed salmon with bok choy were both delicious and beautifully complemented by the "riot of vegetables".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made Birthday Specialkellgirl22Dined on 9/15/2014When making my reservation, I mentioned it was my boyfriend's birthday and the restaurant went out of their way to make it special. They printed "Happy Birthday" on the menu and let us sample two amazing appetizers (the spicy tuna tartar was absolutely phenomenal!). When another customer nearby slipped and broke her glass, shattering some of it near our table, the staff immediately provided us with a new tablecloth and round of drinks. Several managers came up during our meal to wish him a happy birthday and ask about our meal, which was much appreciated. The duckling and halibut were top notch, and the carrot cake was one of the best desserts I have ever had! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A foodies delightLiindaBVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food at The Source remains superb. Many new trendy spots have opened but really cannot compare in the quality and presentation of food. The dumplings and tuna tartar appetizer are still outstanding. The Asian fusion gives everything s special taste. The lamb chops and chicken were outstanding. My only criticism would be the noise level. It was difficult to converse with the other couple we were with even though there were some empty tables around us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great job, Chef Scott!Live2EatDined on 9/13/2014Great job, Chef Scott and waiter Jason! Apps were sumptuous, perfectly seasoned. Entrees were well portioned and delicious, balanced with a medium Cabernet. Fabulous chocolate soufflé accompanied with a chilled Moscato and coffee. Overall excellent food, service and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way overpriceddtizzleDined on 9/13/2014The apps and sides were good but not worth it. The entrees weren't even that good, and were way way way overpriced.
- Great food!TopchefDined on 9/11/2014I've been here four times and the entire experience was great. I love eating and the food was great every time. I'm hoping Wolfgangpuck opens another restaurant in DC.Special Features:
- Delish!cherylDined on 9/6/2014We had the Saturday Dim Sum. Taste and presentation was superb. We had reservations and were seated almost immediately after arrival by a very pleasant hostess. Our main server, though fairly efficient , was snobby and seemed rather judgy. My husband and I had been on the Smithonian in the morning and though we were not in jeans we were not super dressy either, we were obviously tourists. The younger servers brought our dishes out with perfect timing. There was not one thing we were served that wasnt 100% wonderful in both taste and looks. Our next visit to DC will include a dinner at The Source.Special Features:
- Great dinnerBrianMVIPDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed dinner there with my wife and three kids (14, 11 and 7). All the food was great, and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- High prices, tiny portions, food okFineDinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014A lobster dinner costs $65 and the chef refused to substitute a green vegetable for rice. Rice is about the cheapest thing you can serve and they make it the side to every dish. Who wants rice with a fish dish. Who wants an all white food uninteresting plate. The Source needs a new chef. Average food at exorbitant prices. Btw, I refused the lobster when the chef refused me the vegetable. I will not have dinner or lunch at the restaurant again though the hosts and the server were good. Stay in the bar and try 3 appetizers for $22. That was the only value and that food was not served in the dining room.Special Features:
- Fabulous brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014We just love dining here on Saturdays. The brunch selection of dim sum size portions are simply wonderful! Luis, our favorite server, always takes such great care of us. And the Adios Nonino is my absolute FAVORITE bourbon cocktail of all time!Special Features:
- Third timeThought4foodDined on 8/29/2014Ambience tastefully chique, accommodates single conversation among 4 possibly 6 in certain spaces. Small and main dishes original, delicious Asian-inspired treats, desserts a bit more ordinary--accounting for lost star, nice variety of wines, with somewhat top-heavy prices. Service appropriately informative and attentive. Another very fine dining experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice service and excellent foodGenevaDined on 8/23/2014We chose the 8 course tasting menu for the dim sum brunch. Our favorites were the dan dan dumplings, lobster and shrimp roll, Chinese sausage fried rice, and Shanghai noodles. Pomegranate mimosa was delicious. Chesapeake bloody mary with horseradish panna cotta and crab was a production. The bloody mary came out first then the garnish came out much much later from the kitchen. Why would you put a drink on the menu that the bartenders can't make themselves? The restaurant was very busy but we still received good service. However, we were not too pleased about being seated next to the service station which was uncomfortable with the waiters bumping into us.Special Features:
- Poor Service Great FoodLAG2114Dined on 8/22/2014We went here last night (Friday) for a last DC dinner for our friends who are moving today. When we arrived, we were greeted nicely, then we went to the bar and got wonderful drinks quickly. Then, we went upstairs and were excited for dinner because we'd been here years ago and it was great. Unfortunately, it took us about 45 minutes from the time we sat down to when we got a glass of wine. The waitress was very nice but took a really long time to get to us, then she sent the sommalier over, but that took about 10 minutes. Then, it was another 10 minutes before we got to order our food. So, overall we just felt like we were waiting a lot. Food was good when it came. Would have been 4/5 stars if not for the service.Special Features:
- denisedeniseDined on 8/19/2014great place to dine while visiting newseum best warm chocolate chip cookies amazing sushi rolls fun time!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been open for years...still great!!JaketheSnakeDined on 8/16/2014Some of the recent reviews seem to be very negative. Yes, if you're from "podunk," or are used to chain dining like Outback, Longhorn, Red Lobster, etc., this is not the place for you. We've been going here since it's opening. Yes, the prices are high, but welcome to the big city. You need to stay at home if you are looking for cheap dining in D.C., New York, LA or any world capital city. The prices have "creeped" up over the last 10 years, but so have food costs. I will admit that the price creep here is higher than many other restaurants. Our service was stellar and we're not A-list celebs. However, if you go dressed like a thug or you're just off the farm, you will probably get treated like such. Dress for the place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th BirthdayThebig50Dined on 8/16/2014Our first experience and it was very nice. We enjoyed a great meal with our family celebrating a milestone birthday. Thank you for the great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Name - little wowdowntownfoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014We booked The Source during restaurant week, which comes at its own risk Our lunches, steak salad, salmon, and chicken curry were good, but did not have the wow factor expected. Our first course was good, but, again didnt have a standout that would warrant consideration again in the future. The best item was the carrot cake, it is a must order. At the end of the meal, the check arrive, and it appeared that there was a error with the soft drinks. To inquire we asked the waiter about the check and were informed about the Linguistics/Etymology of the English language and how ordering "at fine dinning restaurants work." The waiter was rude and did not handle the issue, how I would expect at a fine dinning restaurant.
- Very good lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing. The only thing I would change is it took awhile for the food to come out, but otherwise, it was a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Great food - energetic noiseDinArlingtonDined on 8/15/2014Food was fantastic - enjoyed all of it. Noise level was way too much. Interior doesn't have much to it - expected more given the location inside the Newseum and Wolfgang Puck. Odd service approach - asked us if we wanted something to drink but we had to ask to see the menu with the drink options (and specify whether we wanted to look at the cocktail or wine menu).Special Features:
- sleek setting, great foodspinsterkVIPDined on 8/14/2014The place is sleek modern and softly lit despite massive windows. It manages to have clean lines and angles without that annoying cavern echo that afflicts so many restaurants with hard surfaces. The food was sensational. Inventive, flavor drenched and ample. The suckling pig and cherry duck were tender, perfectly cooked with crispy skin and rich moist flesh. The fish dishes were fresh and lightly flavored. Everything cooked and timed perfectly. The carrot cake and chocolate souffle were both outstanding. It was not cheap but well worth the money. We were all very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Source-perfect source of good foodmtpeteDined on 8/14/2014The Source was the perfect spot for lunch. Five of us went for Restaurant Week. We were seated immediately, and were tended to perfectly - no rush whatsoever. The food was absolutely delicious. Little dim sums, one gal had corn soup that was a very healthy serving. Some of us had salmon and the rest had the chicken curry and sticky rice. It was out-of-this-world good. The chocolate dessert and the many-layered carrot cake were tasty. All in all, when we have a special occasion, we will be back. Despite its being a very upscale restaurant, there was no pretense. The service was outstanding. Made us feel very comfortable immediately upon arrival. Looking forward to trying it and eating off the regular menu.Special Features:
- okaydmarDined on 8/14/2014I found the restaurant meal unexciting. Not much flavor. The dessert was good, though.
- Great experienceLJH26Dined on 8/14/2014Food was excellent. Service was attentive without being overwhelming. I will definitely return.
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 8/13/2014This was the first time at The Source and was eager to try as the menu looked pretty good. We decided to just go for a bunch of appetizers (as they all looked so good) and everything was fabulous! They started by bringing over a taster from the chef that was just exquisite, they were followed by the food we ordered - every dish was bursting with unique and delicious flavors. They were so good, we couldn't stop ordering more! The only downside was that it took forever to get our initial drink order in and had to flag down our waiter several other times throughout the night. Other than that, I would definitely go again, but maybe would try the bar which didn't seem as busy as the upstairs restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice lunch.Foodlover25Dined on 8/13/2014Went for restaurant week lunch. I had the salmon and my wife had the chicken. Good portion sizes. Service was attentive. Would like to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit was excellentAbbyDined on 8/13/2014Quiet, clean atmosphere. Big tables, with space in between, makes it easy to have a conversation. Service was efficient but unobstrusive, Really enjoyed the food. Portion size was just right and everything was very tasteful and high quality. Will definitely recomment, and will go there myself.Special Features:
- MediocreDCJoshVIPDined on 8/13/2014Went for restaurant week lunch. Shu mai was almost inedible. Other appetizer and main dishes were better but unexceptional. The desserts were surprisingly good. They originally charged for three teas ($18) for refilling the teapot three times (but not for refiling the iced tea glass) without saying it was not a free refill. (The jasmine tea was very weak and the pot did not contain any tea leaves so they must have filled it from some supply in the back.) Thankfully they took the extra fillings off the bill when challenged (or the service component would have not even rated fair). The room itself was modern, spartan, and uninviting. I wont be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/12/2014Great experience from start to finish. Food was great. Service was great. Hit all of the details to demonstrate what separates an average from very good restaurantI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not this time but...nnewton6Dined on 8/12/2014My recommendation to others would be based on my other experiences at The Source. During this visit, the service was slow for no apparent reason and the food was only ok (I didn't bother finishing the main course). Due to timing constraints, we had to ask for the check when the dessert arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always delcious food at the sourceDCReviewer2013Dined on 8/12/2014came here for restaurant week and the food was fantastic and our server very kind. but outside restaurant week this is still a wonderful place to dine!Special Features:
- DC Restaurant Week the right wayTravellerDined on 8/12/2014I went to The Source for Washington DC Restaurant week and it was excellent. The choice, quality and quantity of appetizers, entrees and desserts was above the norm for what I have experienced at other DC Restaurants. A nice variety of selections and the quality was up to the standard I have come to expect at The Source.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealAngieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I had not been to the Source in quite some time and we were very disappointed in both the level of service and the quality of the food. We went there Saturday night at 9 pm expecting to find some great food and service. It took about 10 minutes before a waiter asked us for a drink. It took about another 15 minutes before he took our order. He did apologize that there were some larger groups there and that service would be slower, but when the food arrived it was overcooked (sea bass was dry and had heavy sauce) and was not delicious. So all around a real disappointment for a not inexpensive meal. The house wine though was good.Special Features:
- Left Disappointed!TroyMacDined on 8/9/2014We have eaten at The Source several times. Based on great past dining experiences, we returned on Sat, Aug 9th. Unfortunately, it wasn't good. Our first problem was when we arrived. Tayshawn (sp?) seated us at a table. We requested a table next to the window, which didn't seem like an unreasonable request given that the restaurant was nearly empty. She told us that only parties of 4 receive window seats. Well, we were a party of 4; but, 2 in our group cancelled. In spite of that, we noticed that 4 other groups of 2 were seated next to the window. On to the food, the 1st course was good. The 2nd course was great. The last course was not good. I'm not sure what happened; but overall, we left very disappointed and don't plan to return.