The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: (508) 798-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474x
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (176)fit for foodies (143)neighborhood gem (111)good for groups (110)notable wine list (84)vibrant bar scene (75)hot spot (73)great for lunch (66)romantic (58)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (17)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great for fishOmnivoreVIPDined on 11/16/2014The company that owns the Sole Proprietor, 111 Chophouse, and Via, knows what it's doing. We've always had good luck at all three spots. We ate there on a busy Sunday night (the Patriots were playing an 8:30 game) and the only complaint I have is that my food came out a little cool. The server whisked it away and brought it back just right in less than two minutes. My wife doesn't eat meat, so having so many fish options is a real bonus for her. We just wish they'd open some locations closer to the eastern side of Massachusetts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backjjgoogsDined on 11/16/2014What a gem in near WPI in Worcester, MA. excellent seafood selection. great for dieters and foodies alike. service was very friendly, knowledgeable and willing to accommodate our requests. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining in WorcesterChopsticksDined on 11/15/2014I have never been disappointed at Sole Proprietor. Outstanding meal preparation is matched by exceptional service. This is one of the top dining experiences in Worcester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sundevils233Dined on 11/15/2014We went for our anniversary with the kids. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeGoodEatsDined on 11/15/2014I chose this place because I thought the name was clever. I took my wife and 2 daughters for dinner on a Saturday evening. It was busy, but the hosts and servers were very attentive and pleasant. I was happy there was a kids' menu for my youngest. The food was excellent. My wife had the seafood saute, and was happy. I had the pan seared bay scallops over parmesan risotto. It was delicious. My oldest had the autumn salmon, and she loved it. We split a slice of cheesecake, and could barely finish it. Prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somerhibf for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014There is a great bar menu. Restaurant menu changes with wonderful daily specials . There is something on the menu for everyone , even if you don't eat fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our worst experiences at the Sole in Years!moiramanVIPDined on 11/14/2014We have been going to the Sole for years - this was awful. I made the reservation early in the week and asked for the bar. We were seated in the geriatric room - dismal and no atmosphere. Our waiters were so prompt (one on them felt the need to sing out each course he was delivering!) - we were done in 58 minutes - on a Friday night. All they want to do is turn tables - it is horrible. In addition, I orderd a lime with my San Pellegrino - no lime. I ordered the salmon with the tomato-basil vinaigrette - no vinaigrette - they just threw some tomatoes on top of the salmon. My husband had to return his tuna because it was so undercooked. The sauted spinach was horrible - no garlic and no olive oil - I think it was just blanched. Bad service, bad seating choice and bad food. I won't rush back.Special Features:
- I ordered the Char and Just loved it!MalsieDined on 11/12/2014I usually order the same things in the line of fish, but Wednesday evening, I ordered the Char. It was the best fish I have ever had!! Everything about the evening was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningYank28Dined on 11/11/2014Enjoyed another wedding anniversary here and as usual not dissapointed in the service or food.Special Features:
- SoleLovediningoutDined on 11/10/2014There were five of us celebrating a birthday. The table next to us was very rowdy. Fortunately they left soon after we started dinner. The food was very good. However, this is the first time we felt rushed by the server. We have dined at the Sole many times and this is the first time we felt like this. The waitress was trying to remove items from the table while we were eating dessert. We noticed she was out of her waitress uniform before we finished our dinner. This dinner was on a Monday night and the restaurant was busy but no one was waiting for a table. We will return to the Sole because we like it so much.Special Features:
- DebMac0509Dined on 11/8/2014Our waitstaff was awesome.. We were too full for desert but one of our waitresses took note of our friends birthday and came over with a tray of strawberry's and Happy Birthday was written in raspberry sauce. What a very nice gesture!!! We'll be back again for sure.Special Features:
- Special Birthday LunchwillyDined on 11/7/2014I had been looking forward for weeks to my birthday lunch at the Sole. We had been there before and knew it would be great in every respect-especially the food. It was a delicious meal and the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Happy BelliesAllieCatDined on 11/5/2014The 6 of us enjoyed our birthday celebration dinner. Always impressed with the extensive menu, the rich ambiance, and the high level of professionalism of the waitstaff. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luch date with Wife...FessDined on 11/4/2014NEVER had a bad meal at The Sole. The Chefs are well attentive to their waiters to make sure all expectations are met with dining customers,Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014As always the Sole Proprietor delivers. Great food and great service. It is such a popular place for a reason. There are sometimes too many choices to consider, but you can always find something everyone will love. It seems that when we go there are lots of big parties and we are seated near them. The noise level is energetic, but it still is not overwhelming. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Great meal as usualJboneVIPDined on 10/27/2014Had an anniversary dinner with my wife and another couple. Food was fantastic although an unusually busy Monday made for a hectic wait staff. Oysters for an appetizer were fresh and tasty and my Salmon entree was cooked perfectly. Everyone was pleased with their choices. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeyDined on 10/26/2014The Sole has always been a great place for seafood & we have never been disappointed. They provide a good variety of choices that should suit any palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Oysters were fabulous, the service was great, our main meals were just ok. My husband had tuna that was overlooked, I had the stuffed haddock which was warm but not hot.Special Features:
- Good food, ok service, noisyteachermassDined on 10/24/2014The food was delicious, but it always is. We found the service a little pushy and that the servers interrupted and rushed us quite a bit, though the restaurant was not full and they couldn't have been focused on turning the table. Perhaps just the style? Or they wanted to go home? Wanting to make the sale is ok, but leaving us feeling rushed and like we were buying a used car... Eh. We will be back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great seasonal specialssAdderley3CVIPDined on 10/24/2014If you are done with the hum-drum and want a place which offers standard seafood fare as well as seasonal specials presented by a creative chef, check this place out for a filling meal. Great beverages of all types, and please save room for dessert!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we licked our plates!eldiabloDined on 10/24/2014we waited a little bit to be seated even with our reservation. But in the end it was well worth it. The food was absolutely amazing. The service was wonderful. And I brought a few special guests with me that night and everyone was over the moon. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKBigelowDined on 10/24/2014Visited on a Friday night for college parents' weekend. They were super busy and really didn't know how to handle it. Service was slow, food was mediocre and overall certainly not memorable. Would like to give them another shot on a regular night.
- Always meets expectations....FessDined on 10/23/2014I have NEVER had a bad meal at the sole.......I am in sales and always dining around the country.......bar none........this is the gem of all seafood restaurants...Special Features:
- Lovely Anniversary DinnerHudsonFoodieDined on 10/21/2014My husband and I chose the Sole for our 13th wedding anniversary date. The food was terrific and the wait staff was very good. The only lowlight was that the restaurant was very, very noisy. Our waitresses noticed that we were exchanging cards and asked the occasion. We told them it was our 13th wedding anniversary and when we ordered dessert to split, it came out on a nice plate with a lovely 'Happy 13th Anniversary' message written in chocolate with raspberry sauce hearts. Very thoughtful and much appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains a favoriteorrelseDined on 10/20/2014The Sole remains one of my favorite restaurants but this visit was somewhat "off." Perhaps our server was new. The service was uncharacteristically inattentive. And the recent evident training of the staff to recite insincere platitudes and to obviously try to upsell menu items is not pleasant. However, the food was very good as usual and I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eventsStarman65Dined on 10/19/2014Before we moved away, several years ago, the Sole was the restaurant to go to for special occasions. My daughter told me she was pregnant, with our first grandchild, while dining there. We also take all the "kids" there for birthday dinners. Such was the occasion this past visit. Our waitress, Carmen, made this a truly special experience. Carmen was very attentive, and helpful with all our questions. As busy as she was, she made ample time to make sure we felt like we were her only patrons. Thank you Sole Proprieter for always being consistently excellent, and hiring staff that strive to excel.Special Features:
- Perennial FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Lived in Worcester 20+ years ago. Continue to enjoy visits to New England. First enjoyed The Sole as a tiled diner-like place for great seafood. Now I plan my NE visits to include a reasonably priced hotel, check out my favorite artist's work (Jo Barry at the Prints and the Potter) and a fabulous dinner @ The Sole in Worcester. Last week spent the day at the Head of The Charles Regatta, then came 'home' to enjoy Oyster Fest + sumptuous seafood and perfect martinis with family and friends.Special Features:
- It was ok.JamesMariaDined on 10/18/2014The food is very expensive, the place is severely loud, the menu is huge too big for the table .. If four people sit in a table each one with a menu the menus would not fit on the table..the menus are huge not necessary. I order the lobster tail with asparagus, rice and mushroom me and my wife order the same thing and there was no mushroom on the plate we notice before we finish eating and the rice was jus kinda boiled tasteless ... The experience was ok but I feel like what I paid was only worth the lobster tail and the wine... But I pay over eighty dollars...I was still kinda hungry... I recommend people check this place for themselves.it was my first and last time there. I hope the manager get to read this...Special Features:
- Great seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Reserved based solely on reviews we read on Open Table. Were not disappointed. Food was great, as was the service. Good New England atmosphere.Special Features:
- Noisy, poor service, very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014We were there at 6:00 on a Friday night, place was packed, and noisy. The host said he was putting us at a quiet table, which wasn't, mainly because of a group at a table in the same room. Service was very rushed, waiter rushed us to order, there was a mistake in drink order, a mistake on salad dressing order, then the main course arrived when we were part way thru salads. We had asked for separate checks and they came with a complete mix up on who had ordered what. We were out of there in under an hour - not a pleasant experience. However the food was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014It's been awhile since dining at The Sole Proprietor since moving from the area. It felt good to be back, great food and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On-line ReservationsPD15Dined on 10/11/2014The on-line reservation system was fantastic! Quick and Easy. We were very well taken care of. The people at the hostess station and manager were so welcoming. Made us really feel special. Normally we come in and sit at the bar for dinner when it is just the two of us. But tonight we had a party of six and had a great time. The bartenders and wait staff are very knowledgeable and professional. The Sole Proprietor has always been one of our favorite places to dine. I highly recommend it to anyone that has not yet tried it.Special Features:
- Sole ProprietorGS1968Dined on 10/11/2014One of our favorites. Food and service always consistent. Nice atmosphere. Great restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentChrisMcpDined on 10/11/2014I've been dining here since I was a child and I try to come at least once a month still. Never a bad experience. Marc is the best bartender in Worcester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigDVIPDined on 10/11/2014The family got together for my birthday celebration. The booth worked for six. The food was fabulous. We had six different fish entrees and each was delicious. On Saturday it was crowded, noises and the servers were a bit stressed but nice. Overall excellent.Special Features:
- Always GreatChadbflVIPDined on 10/11/2014Dinner at the Sole is always a great experience. The food is well thought out, with incredibly fresh ingredients. The waitstaff are the best in the city. Each table gets 2 waiters and they really know the menu inside and out. I can honestly say, I've never had a bad experience here in the 15 years I've been going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicejlkbDined on 10/11/2014our meal was excellent and our waitress was knowledgeable friendly and helpful. the price point was on the higher side but it was a special night out. the one downside was that our leftovers were packed to go, and once we got home we realized that not all of the leftovers were packed up for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gift card redemptionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014arrived at 12:15 for lunch on Saturday, greeted right away with two smiling employees. Seated where we wanted to sit in main dining room booth. Was approached immediately by a waiter wanting to start off with water. Quickly returned and took our drink order, then our app. order. There were 3 waiters/waitresses tending to us and the few diners that day. Wonderful service and wonderful hot food! Best time to go for a relaxed lunch not busy and not loud. I had the salmon, out of this world, my husband had whole clams which melted in your mouth. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for it was a nice treat!Special Features:
- Special occasion not requiredLongIslandGuyDined on 10/10/2014Great food. Good Service. Friday eve expected noise level. Lunch times are quieter. Extensive selection. Don't save visiting for a special occasion. Have never been disappointed on several visits.Special Features:
- ReenieDined on 10/9/2014It was a last minute choice but a great one The oysters were absolutely wonderful Cannot miss Oyster Month everSpecial Features: