The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Non-Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
264 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (168)fit for foodies (127)neighborhood gem (100)good for groups (96)notable wine list (81)vibrant bar scene (75)great for lunch (69)hot spot (56)romantic (55)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (15)great for brunch (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- They respect the fish...DougSDined on 9/19/2014... or is that "honor the fish"? When you combine first-class ingredients with first-class preparation that is inventive without being showy, you get a memorable dish. They did that three times for the three of us (not counting the shared appetizers). Whatever you try will be handled by a kitchen that knows it's doing. The waitstaff is friendly without being obsequious and attentive without being intrusive. The atmosphere is understated elegant. All in all, the "Sole" stands alone in the Worcester area for fine seafood. (I haven't had their steaks, but I've seen and heard great things about them as well.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Impeccable attention is given to the preparation, presentation, and service of each plate. The staff are very knowledgeable in describing the offerings.Special Features:
- high standard as alwaysmonkeyhouseDined on 9/17/2014never fails. great fresh selection of seafood. great beer and wine list. parking can be a pain but worth it. the oyster-fest selection is fantastic (i would recommend the martha's vineyard or PEI oysters). definitely always use OpenTable to make a reservation - even for 2 or 3. we had no waiting - straight to our table. a great night.Special Features:
- one of two best fish restss in n.e.publicusVIPDined on 9/16/2014the sole is one of two of the best high end fish rstaurants in new england. service is invariably excellent and the preps consistently well executed if perhaps not extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014This is a fine, quiet, stylish restaurant , perfect for a special occasion or a well-earned evening out. It's not necessarily the perfect place for big eaters or people looking cheap, fast food. The service was exceptionally friendly and flexible. They did their best to adapt the food and proportions to suit our needs.Special Features:
- A real "find" for us. Great Food!WPIparentsDined on 9/14/2014A gem in Worcester! Check it out, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wasn't great...IBChowinVIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been to the Sole several times, the food is always good. At one time, the service was oustanding, this time is wasn't good at all.They tell you that 2 waiters or waitresses will be serving you but once they introduce themselves you rarely see either. (It has been like this my last 3 visits) Ordered a bottle of wine, wife's was served in a diry glass(lipstick on rim) Manager brought a clean empty glass, wanted to fill it out of my bottle. What happened to the full glass of wine they poured in a dirty glass? With 2 waiters they always think the other one is taking care of you. (I'd rather have one good waiter than 2 bad waiters) The Sole won't be my first choice for dinner anymore, it's pricey but I didn't mind when the service was good
- Outstanding dinnerFoodiefamDined on 9/13/2014Went to Sole Proprietor while visiting our college student. Wonderful restaurant, exceptionally attentive service, extensive wine list and menu. We had crab cake sliders, chowder, blackened shrimp and the best of all stuffed lobsters with scallops and a ritz cracker crust. Food was delicious! We will be back.Special Features:
- Expert preparationJmailctDined on 9/13/2014In a state over filled with "seafood" restaurants, it's nice to find one that actually knows how to cook it! Tender shrimp (unusual enough) that's not undercooked? Amazing. Makes you appreciate how many others are clueless. Of course freshness is mandatory, but that's just the first step! Busy energetic place so book early if you can.
- Good EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Was out to celebrate my mother's birthday with family and friends. We all had a wonderful time and our server was very attentive and prompt. I would recommend this place to all seafood lovers of any ageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafoodFriendtofriendDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at The Sole. Beginning with oysters, the Caesar salad, and finally each of us had different entrees - all excellent. The request for a booth was honored for the 4 of us - which made for very comfortable seating all around. Thank you for providing just the right atmosphere to spend time with good friends over delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsLovefoodDined on 9/12/2014We had dinner Friday night as an anniversary dinner with friends and my son and it was wonderful. Our reservation was on time and the food was simply delicious. Our waiter was very informed with everything and very gracious. Will definitely go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BkclubmbrBkclubmbrDined on 9/12/2014The Sole is our favorite restaurant and the one place we can go and ALWAYS have a wonderful dinner with exceptional service. Friday night we celebrated our anniversary and enjoyed yet another perfect dinner.Special Features:
- was just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Chowder was not spectacular; surf and turf was overcooked both the medium well filet and the baked stuffed shrimp which were small and had a flavorless stuffing which is odd for a seafood restaurant. However, service was good and lobster sushi was delicious as we're the two salmon dishes that hit the table. So 50/50 this particular night which was odd since the last meal we had there was fantastic with soft she'll crabs and crab risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is top notchNinaBDined on 9/6/2014Love the food - I had the lobster and whoopie pie - and the service is wonderful.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding as always!JennierDined on 9/6/2014I love the atmosphere in all of the rooms. I just found that the noise level was pretty high in the larger dining room than it is in the smaller ones where we have usually been seated. We had an 8:30 reservation and after arriving 10 minutes early, we were seated almost immediately. The Sole is one of our favorite restaurants and will frequently continue to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrecklesDined on 9/3/2014It was excellent - the fish was very fresh and the service was professional. However, it was noisy and difficult to hear my table mates at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- displeasednotsofastDined on 9/2/2014Never serve entrees on a table full of dirty plates. Too many tables for staff ? Served by a manager and he didn't come over later to apologize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointingomega3manDined on 9/2/2014Exceptional wait staff. Very accommodating. Menu never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantBabsDined on 9/2/2014Good food, good service and beautiful setting. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Yummy!BeepersDined on 8/30/2014We were looking for great seafood and we found it. The service was great! Our waiter was Joe, assisted by Mike. We will be back!Special Features:
- DisappointingrebhcDined on 8/29/2014Our group of 4 went to this restaurant expecting great things because it came so highly recommended. The shrimp dish was too garlicky to eat. The Char Oscar was mediocre with the sauce tasting like a mix. The waiter brought a butter knife when asked for a steak knife. Clam chowder was watered down & not very creamy. The pear salad was excellent. Oyster on the half shell were good but guest asked for crackers and tiny oyster crackers were delivered. Looked like tiny hats on oysters and very difficult to work with. Where were the saltines? Tiramisu was sent over by manager to make up for bad experience and it was good but considering the multiple misses..with a very expensive menu..the management was cheap too! Not a place to go!
- Worcester in town for dinnerkjbmDined on 8/29/2014I had been to Sole Proprietor for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed oysters and a lobster roll. The restaurant is very attractive. The waitstaff is knowledgeable and engaging. There are many items to choose from. We had delicious oysters and lobster bisque as a first course. The entrees have many interesting sauces and spices and are described in detail by the waitstaff. One of us ordered the tenderloin, scallop and shrimp entree. The tenderloin was cooked as asked, but thin, scallops were average. The shrimp had a Cajun rub and was good. We also ordered Sea Bass as a special. It was fresh but without presentation. We had a nice time. The food was very good, but not outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food and atmospherejgeatsDined on 8/24/2014A great place for us to meet friends who live in the Boston Area and those who live near Hartford. Great food, creative specials and an attentive waitstaff make for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Overall very good.VtslimDined on 8/23/2014Hard to find a consistent seafood restaurant, but this one is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer service at its bestbluedogVIPDined on 8/23/2014The wait staff and manager went above and beyond in assuring my steak was done right. Steak in a seafood restaurant? It is fine as a surf and turf dish... and was excellent along with all else!Special Features:
- Will never go back or recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014I have never written a bad review before so this is a first. My 8 year old daughter and I went for a special dinner. The food was okay though my lobster bisque was the consistency of pea soup and not good. The biggest issue was the service. We were, for all intents and purposes, ignored. We were given water at the beginning of the meal and sat without anything else to drink until I had to flag someone down when dinner was nearly over. Neither of us were ever offered anything to drink or asked at any time. My daughter's chowder was removed from in front of her while her spoon was in her mouth. Several other examples too. My 8 year old asked "Daddy why is the waitress mad at us?" I guess our smiling and being polite was offensive. STAY AWAY
- DependableJoPatVIPDined on 8/19/2014Good food always consistent salads are good excellent dressingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, Y'all!WhooopitupDined on 8/19/2014Second visit to the Sole Proprietor and I came all the way back from Dallas via Boston for business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The tastiest catch !StinkeytcDined on 8/16/2014First be sure to use Open Table, we arrived and people were being told 1 hour wait , and with OT, our table was ready with no waiting time. From our seating, service, food , atmospher ! All were phenomenal , it was a very relaxing and enjoyable evening, even though the place the restaurant was very busy. There was nothing deadliest about this catch ! It is truly a tastiest catch !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Team wait staffMaryKDined on 8/16/2014Angela & Andrew were very attentive. Never left us waiting for anything. The food was good and steaks were cooked exactly as ordered. Lobster tail & crab legs were great! Not a quiet place but still an enjoyable dinner:-)
- Gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014We know that the Sole has an energetic and loud vibe. Last Saturday night was ridiculous! We specifically requested not to be near a large group, since that makes the experience louder. Didn't matter. Chaotic atmosphere & evening. Three of us ordered off the restaurant week menu and one a la carte. Entrees & apps were fine but the house salad was lackluster. My daughter looks forward to the chocolate cup dessert and we were all disappointed at the lack of flavor. Half was whipped cream and the mousse was bland. We also ordered the dry, crumbly flourless chocolate cake. Poor. The service was not as professional as it has been in the past and I felt like I was at a chain restaurant. Was our go-to occasion restaurant. Not likely to return.
- DINING WITH MY DAUGHTERMichelle53Dined on 8/16/2014Going to "The Sole" has become a family tradition for celebrating birthday's and other special occasions. This last visit was this past Saturday celebrating my daughters 31st birthday! Our waiters Joe and Mike were terrific! When Joe delivered our drinks he delivered a hand written happy birthday napkin from Mike on the table before placing the drink, which brought smiles to the table! We had the good fortune to meeting a nice family that sat next to us where they too were celebrating a birthday -a 101st birthday! We ended up chatting with them for a while. We were told she has 8 children, 20 grand children and 30 great grandchildren. We enjoyed talking with them and had a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Always ImpressedBts22Dined on 8/15/2014Although this was not my first time at the Sole, it definitely stands out as my favorite visit so far. I went with the Restaurant Week menu and I was thrilled with the choice. The meal was excellent, the courses were well paced, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as alwayssmithie65Dined on 8/15/2014A consistent restaurant with excellent preparation of fish that is fresh and flavorful. the service is attentive without being intrusive. One of the best in central Massachusetts. When friends visit from out of town they request that we go here.Special Features:
- FabulousPegWDined on 8/12/2014We went to the Sole Proprietor during restaurant week. We were blown away. The place had a nice atmosphere and was fairly busy when we got there. Having it's own parking lot is a big plus in Worcester. We started out with the clam strip boat for the appetizer. Absolutely delicious and very good portion size. Next on I had a salad and my husband had the clam chowder. Nothing special about my salad (but it was good), but my husband found the clam chowder quite tasty. For our meals I got the salmon and my husband the bluefish. The dishes were delicious and portion size was (again) larger then we expected (especially being Restaurant week specials - they did not skimp at all). We loved the place and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sole!!!!KendalDined on 8/12/2014Best of the best!... We have been eating here for 30 years!Special Features:
- BradysMomDined on 8/10/2014Thanks for making our last night eating out in Massachusetts memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs an updateDebbieDined on 8/10/2014Decent food in a relaxed atmosphere. Good wine and beer selection.
- Super Seafood in WorcesterAandAinActonDined on 8/9/2014Food and service were outstanding. We were two couples and each of ordered something as appetizers and main courses. Everyone was very pleased with their choices. Drinks were well prepared. It was a Saturday and very busy but we were well taken care of and certainly not rushed. We'll be back!