The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Non-Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (169)fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (98)good for groups (90)notable wine list (82)vibrant bar scene (75)great for lunch (73)hot spot (58)romantic (55)kid-friendly (23)great for brunch (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food and atmospherejgeatsDined on 8/24/2014A great place for us to meet friends who live in the Boston Area and those who live near Hartford. Great food, creative specials and an attentive waitstaff make for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Overall very good.VtslimDined on 8/23/2014Hard to find a consistent seafood restaurant, but this one is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer service at its bestbluedogVIPDined on 8/23/2014The wait staff and manager went above and beyond in assuring my steak was done right. Steak in a seafood restaurant? It is fine as a surf and turf dish... and was excellent along with all else!Special Features:
- Will never go back or recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014I have never written a bad review before so this is a first. My 8 year old daughter and I went for a special dinner. The food was okay though my lobster bisque was the consistency of pea soup and not good. The biggest issue was the service. We were, for all intents and purposes, ignored. We were given water at the beginning of the meal and sat without anything else to drink until I had to flag someone down when dinner was nearly over. Neither of us were ever offered anything to drink or asked at any time. My daughter's chowder was removed from in front of her while her spoon was in her mouth. Several other examples too. My 8 year old asked "Daddy why is the waitress mad at us?" I guess our smiling and being polite was offensive. STAY AWAY
- DependableJoPatDined on 8/19/2014Good food always consistent salads are good excellent dressingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, Y'all!WhooopitupDined on 8/19/2014Second visit to the Sole Proprietor and I came all the way back from Dallas via Boston for business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The tastiest catch !StinkeytcDined on 8/16/2014First be sure to use Open Table, we arrived and people were being told 1 hour wait , and with OT, our table was ready with no waiting time. From our seating, service, food , atmospher ! All were phenomenal , it was a very relaxing and enjoyable evening, even though the place the restaurant was very busy. There was nothing deadliest about this catch ! It is truly a tastiest catch !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Team wait staffMaryKDined on 8/16/2014Angela & Andrew were very attentive. Never left us waiting for anything. The food was good and steaks were cooked exactly as ordered. Lobster tail & crab legs were great! Not a quiet place but still an enjoyable dinner:-)
- Gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014We know that the Sole has an energetic and loud vibe. Last Saturday night was ridiculous! We specifically requested not to be near a large group, since that makes the experience louder. Didn't matter. Chaotic atmosphere & evening. Three of us ordered off the restaurant week menu and one a la carte. Entrees & apps were fine but the house salad was lackluster. My daughter looks forward to the chocolate cup dessert and we were all disappointed at the lack of flavor. Half was whipped cream and the mousse was bland. We also ordered the dry, crumbly flourless chocolate cake. Poor. The service was not as professional as it has been in the past and I felt like I was at a chain restaurant. Was our go-to occasion restaurant. Not likely to return.
- DINING WITH MY DAUGHTERMichelle53Dined on 8/16/2014Going to "The Sole" has become a family tradition for celebrating birthday's and other special occasions. This last visit was this past Saturday celebrating my daughters 31st birthday! Our waiters Joe and Mike were terrific! When Joe delivered our drinks he delivered a hand written happy birthday napkin from Mike on the table before placing the drink, which brought smiles to the table! We had the good fortune to meeting a nice family that sat next to us where they too were celebrating a birthday -a 101st birthday! We ended up chatting with them for a while. We were told she has 8 children, 20 grand children and 30 great grandchildren. We enjoyed talking with them and had a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Always ImpressedBts22Dined on 8/15/2014Although this was not my first time at the Sole, it definitely stands out as my favorite visit so far. I went with the Restaurant Week menu and I was thrilled with the choice. The meal was excellent, the courses were well paced, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as alwayssmithie65Dined on 8/15/2014A consistent restaurant with excellent preparation of fish that is fresh and flavorful. the service is attentive without being intrusive. One of the best in central Massachusetts. When friends visit from out of town they request that we go here.Special Features:
- FabulousPegWDined on 8/12/2014We went to the Sole Proprietor during restaurant week. We were blown away. The place had a nice atmosphere and was fairly busy when we got there. Having it's own parking lot is a big plus in Worcester. We started out with the clam strip boat for the appetizer. Absolutely delicious and very good portion size. Next on I had a salad and my husband had the clam chowder. Nothing special about my salad (but it was good), but my husband found the clam chowder quite tasty. For our meals I got the salmon and my husband the bluefish. The dishes were delicious and portion size was (again) larger then we expected (especially being Restaurant week specials - they did not skimp at all). We loved the place and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sole!!!!KendalDined on 8/12/2014Best of the best!... We have been eating here for 30 years!Special Features:
- BradysMomDined on 8/10/2014Thanks for making our last night eating out in Massachusetts memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs an updateDebbieDined on 8/10/2014Decent food in a relaxed atmosphere. Good wine and beer selection.
- Super Seafood in WorcesterAandAinActonDined on 8/9/2014Food and service were outstanding. We were two couples and each of ordered something as appetizers and main courses. Everyone was very pleased with their choices. Drinks were well prepared. It was a Saturday and very busy but we were well taken care of and certainly not rushed. We'll be back!
- Could Have Been BetterSheldonZDined on 8/9/2014Normally the noisy and crowded rooms can be overlooked. This time the cheerful but inattentive waitstaff and the very poorly prepared Bluefish brought them to the fore. Appetizers were good, but the special occasion was diminished when we had to send back the burned, overcooked bluefish. Kitchen staff should never have let that dish out - it was visibly bad, with taste to match. Better the second time around, but everyone else was finished when it arrived. Stuffed shrimp was good, as was "Land and Two Seas" and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. It could have been a good evening, but the inattentive staff and poorly prepared entree made it less so.
- Yum!SassyDined on 8/9/2014Good food, good service, clean, prompt and courteous staff. Easy parking and easy in and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigDVIPDined on 8/8/2014The specials for Worcester restaurant week were excellent.Special Features:
- King FishdinealotDined on 8/8/2014We went to the Sole for Restaurant Week and were very pleased as always. The choices were minimal but the food was very good as always. My wife had the salad and Broiled Haddock while I had the Salmon Marsala and the flourless chocolate cake. Both entrees were cooked perfectly and very tasty. The salad and dessert were big enough to share and the portions were decent size for a $14.14 special. Service excellent as always. Great place for A special dinner with Fish being their specialty.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Lunch SuperbOldGuyDined on 8/8/2014Bride and I thoroughly enjoyed Restaurant Week Lunch menu. Choices and flexibility broad and diverse for the low price. Entrees superb,as we enjoyed salmon and haddock choices. Service was superb and attentive. Free close ample parking a huge plus. Have eaten here several times in past and continue to enjoy the ambiance and meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014We love bluefish and that was one of the three featured entrees on the Worcester Summer Restaurant Week menu. So we chose Sole Proprietor for our dinner over the many other restaurants available. We chose wisely -- the bluefish was great as was everything else about the meal. I'm sure you will still be able to get bluefish now that Restaurant Week is over. P.S. We've eaten here before and everything is great.Special Features:
- Greatest Seafood in shoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Best place for Seafood in-shore, Much better than those "legal places:Special Features:
- Always superiorKinderVIPDined on 8/6/2014Always superior service, food and wine. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in worcesterYCENDined on 8/6/2014It's a very good place to go, not just for dinner, but for lunch. Price is not that concerned. Don't worry about that $$$. Food are great A little bit less room between tablesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014Worcester Restaurant Week - food was good and a great price for two courses. Service was wonderful; I had noted in my reservation that it was my father's birthday, and they made his dessert with a "happy birthday" written on the plate with a candle. It was perfect. Only problem is that it was very loud; we had two larger parties next to us and we had a very hard time hearing each other for most of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sole Continues Their High StandardsCarlBigDaddyJDined on 8/2/2014Once again I was rewarded with an excellent meal; crab rissotto, as was the rest of our party. My brother-in-law from Chicago was impressed and said he would recommend the Sole to a friend coming into Worcester in a few weeks. The place was packed and parking/seating took a while but I guess that is the price you pay for a great place.Special Features:
- enjoyable saturday night mealPaulalouDined on 8/2/2014We were seated on time for our 7:00 reservation - a nice surprise. We expected to wait. We were excited to see that we had not missed out on Buster!! There were a large number of crab appetizers and entrees. We got the crab spring roll - would have been really good if the ratio of crab to rice noodles was more in favor of the crab! I had the flounder stuffed with crab, scallops and shrimp - excellent. My husband had a perfectly cooked filet with stuffed shrimp -also an excellent choice. Service was very attentive, without being intrusive. They really have the service down pat. When is it bustling, like it was on Saturday night, there is not much you can do about the noise - so sit back and enjoy the food and service!!Special Features:
- Outstanding seafoodLocalDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Living in Metrowest, we always travel to Boston if we're dining out. In 30 years, we've probably dined in Worcester a dozen times- we just never think of it. I had a discount coupon from Open Table so we decided to try The Sole Proprietor. Our experience has completely changed our opinion of Worcester restaurants in general and The Sole Proprietor is now our #1 seafood restaurant in eastern Massachusetts. That's how great it was! The menu is huge, the food is prepared well and tastes great and the service (Joe and Mike) was off the charts. Rarely does one encounter a perfect evening, but this was it!Special Features:
- MartyDined on 8/2/2014We all ate off the seasonal crab menu. Everything from app, to 2 soups, to 3 dinners was excellent. Parking is very busy. We were seated about 10 minutes into our reservation time.Special Features:
- Great food, service, tight spaceedceDined on 8/2/2014The title summarizes it quite well. Since the space is tight, any louder conversation at the neighboring tables makes your own conversation more difficult to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time here; excellent againDoncookeDined on 8/2/2014Great food and excellent service. Not inexpensive but worth every penny. And Buster the immense inflated crab is back!Special Features:
- luvfrshfishDined on 7/28/2014This is the best seafood restaurant in town. Not cheap but worth it. I had simply cooked flounder. Not as good as the last one I ate which I caught myself hours before it went into the oven. That comparison is unfair; I haven't caught a flounder myself in over a year. Did it the last time i was on the Gulf of Mexico at St. George's island. The wait staff was great. Attentive but not obtrusive. Made me feel quite comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm nearly impossible to please...PaddlerDined on 7/27/2014...but, The Sole Proprietor hits the mark in EVERY WAY. I am an accomplished home chef, and I usually leave even high end restaurants feeling like I could have done better for far less money. Sole IMPRESSES and makes me feel like I've been REWARDED by having a break from the kitchen that really pays off. Great value (not cheap) for excellent dishes. The menu presents everyone with a tough decision with eclectic preparation styles and wide variety of seafood sure to have you debating between a few top contenders. But, you can't go wrong so don't worry! Our waitress was professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and had impeccable timing. All staff was smiling and pleasant. The whole experience was perfect for all four in our party.Special Features:
- SoleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Our total dinner experience was wonderful. We were seated immediately, the wait staff was helpful and knowledgeable and made great suggestions. Each of us were completely happy with our delicious entrees and plan to return soon.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The restaurant is one of our faves. The food and service was amazing. My only complaint was the crowded and busy atmosphere. I know 6 pm is peak time but the tables in the center of the back area are so crowded. Personally, those tables would be better used for groups of 4, we were a twosome, dressed to impress, and on a date (free time from our 3 young children) and I would have much preferred a booth or small table out of the way. I didn't ask because they were so busy and that seemed to be rude to ask the staff to accommodate something so trivial while so busy but some intuitiveness on the staff's part, might have been nice. My only other complaint, is the dessert menu. More varied and unique options are needed.Special Features:
- The solecapennDined on 7/25/2014Great food, excellent service!!! Highly recommend going when buster the crab is in town ... Great crab menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary DinnerFoodieDined on 7/25/2014My partner and I recently celebrated our tenth year together. We were fortunate that we had been given a very generous gift certificate to Sole Proprietor in Worcester as a holiday present and we were able to use this for our special occasion. Also celebrated my 60th birthday there with him 3 years ago-wonderful meals and memories from both!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014If you want great seafood and to be treated special, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.