The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474x
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
269 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (177)fit for foodies (135)neighborhood gem (103)good for groups (101)notable wine list (83)vibrant bar scene (70)great for lunch (65)romantic (61)hot spot (60)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (18)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great! Been many times andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2009Great! Been many times and it is consistently terrific!Special Features:
- We enjoyed a terrific lunchHarvestVIPDined on 8/10/2009We enjoyed a terrific lunch as we always do at the Sole.Special Features:
- Not a fan of the Sole. IOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2009Not a fan of the Sole. I feel like their menu has been the same for the last 10 years. I'm not sure what the draw is to this place. Service is always good, just like at all the WRG spots.
- The Sole is Always exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2009The Sole is Always exceptional -- the food, the wine, the service. It's a restaurant that I would feel comfortable taking someone from out of town to show them what wonderful seafood we have in our area! Upscale and AwesomeSpecial Features:
- We had a great night! EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2009We had a great night! Everything was perfect. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- The Sole continues to be aPatinaVIPDined on 8/7/2009The Sole continues to be a flawless dining experience. Never disappoints. The most consistent restaurant in Massachusetts. Fresh fish with nicely appointed sides are great value. Service is spot on. Without a reservation be prepared for a wait and I must say worth it. Not a problem you can wait at the vibrant bar and enjoy a drink, shrimp cocktail or fresh local oysters. Always fun!! I know next time you will bring your friends!!Special Features:
- We went to The Sole ProprietorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2009We went to The Sole Proprietor as a part of Worcester Restaurant Week and ordered from the price fixed menu for the event. It was delicious! There was a good selection on the special menu and more than enough to eat - we actually had to take the included desserts to go! The prices are usually a little bit too high to consider for a regular night out, so it was nice to be able to go for no reason and pay a little less. It was the first restaurant I thought of when I heard of the Restaurant Week deals!Special Features:
- We have lived in WorcestermainphillyDined on 8/6/2009We have lived in Worcester and our first time actually dining at the Sole. We had tried in the past but the wait was too long. Thankfully we made reservations with Open Table this time as the wait was at 45 minutes when we arrived! The place was packed and very loud. It took almost 10 minutes to be seated (while waiting in a crowded lobby area - no standing room or room at the bar). The food was delicious and the portions were huge. Way too much food for one person!!! We would definitely go back but try for a quieter night (i.e. beginning of the week not Thursday!)Special Features:
- Seafood, as always was well-prepareGilreignVIPDined on 8/5/2009Seafood, as always was well-prepared and service was prompt and non-intrusive.Special Features:
- Food was superb.....was seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2009Food was superb.....was seated on time.....enjoyed being seated in quiet section next to dining room. Felt that bottle of wine served, think it was not worth the price charged and told waitress, but nothing was done. For same price I've had better.Special Features:
- Took my wife for her birthday,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2009Took my wife for her birthday, she is big into crab. We had an excellent time. Order the sangria, but have them put it in a glass. If you order the sangria for two they bring it in a fish bowl with two huge straws......yes, very embarrassing! Great time and great service!Special Features:
- We did not find The Sole ProprietorOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2009We did not find The Sole Proprietor to be up to its usual standards of near perfection.
- Each aspect of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2009Each aspect of the restaurant was superb. The rolls, the appetizer, the soup, the entree. The service was efficient and our glasses were always full. I will bring all my out-of-town guests to this restaurant for delicious new-england seafood. 5 stars from me!Special Features:
- Dining at the Sole PropietorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2009Dining at the Sole Propietor is always an event to look forward to. We are never disappointed!Special Features:
- My husband did not enjoy hisOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/18/2009My husband did not enjoy his meal. This was the second time we dined there. The first time he had the surf and land and the portions were small. The second time he had the Tuna and it was over cooked and dry. We will not be returning.
- This was our third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2009This was our third time at The Sole Proprietor and we love the food, the creative drink menu and the excellent wine list. The ambiance is rather on the loud side, and the serivce is typically very good, but on this visit, we had a waiter who was constantly rushing us. I would still go back another time for excellent seafood creatively prepared.Special Features:
- I took my wife to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2009I took my wife to the restaurant for the first time for her birthday. I chose the Sole because I had heard incredible raves about the seafood. Unfortunately, my wife and I found the food to be just average. With the rave reviews from other people who have been there (and the prices a little on the high side), we expected extrodinary food. My wife got a seafood combination dish (lobster, shrimp, scallops). There were only a few tiny pieces of lobster which was very disappointing, and the wine sauce it was in was overly salty. (No leeks and fennel to be found in it like the menu stated either). On the other hand, the service was excellent! Our waiter was wonderful ! He was very attentive and professional. And the atmosphere was great !Special Features:
- I've been a loyal customerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2009I've been a loyal customer of the Sole for years and years. It has consistently been outstanding and the prices compared to other equivalent seafood restaurants are reasonable. Nice Job!Special Features:
- This is my all time favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2009This is my all time favorite restaurant. We always have wonderful food and service. This month is especially wonderful because of "Buster". We look forward to July every year for Buster and special crab prices!Special Features:
- This was my second visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2009This was my second visit to the restaurant, the first visit being in June, when lobsterfest was occurring. The bisque was absolutely terrific. This visit was during the July crab celebration. The stuffed mushroom appetizer that was very good. The mushroom was not overpowered by the stuffing, and the flavor was an appropriate blend. The entree was a haddock with crab newburg (I think I'm spelling that correctly) topping, and it too was very good. One of the best overall seafood places at which I have eaten. I will definitely be back the next time I am in Worcester. This visit was a bit on the noisy side, but that was due to a specific party of guests nearby, however, the building does not lend itself to quiet dining.
- Took my avid seafood loverVeronicaDined on 7/9/2009Took my avid seafood lover boyfriend to the Sole for his birthday, and boy were we impressed!! Not only was the place hopping for a Thursday night, we were seated on arrival (I recommend making reservations) and quickly approached by our waitress who was a jack at her trade. I thought I hated seafood until I tried their baked haddock, and my boyfriends king crab was to die for. For being so busy the food came quick and we enjoyed every last bite!!!!Special Features:
- We were seated ahead of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2009We were seated ahead of our reservation time. The food was excellent and the service was superb. We never felt rushed and enjoyed the entire experience.Special Features:
- Though at the peak of thePatMVIPDined on 7/8/2009Though at the peak of the lunch hour, the restaurant was full and noisy, the ambience was good, the food was outstanding, and the staff was excellent, polite, efficient, attentive, helpful. Lunch for a special occasion was a delight!Special Features:
- Highland Street in WorcesterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2009Highland Street in Worcester is definitely congested. We come up from "the sticks" in NE CT. Finding a spot in the Sole's parking lot can be tricky. Most times, you have to hunt around on a side street. This as an indication of the Sole's well-deserved popularity. The service is courteous and professional. Try to pick "off nights" - if there are any. I've only dined there twice, and the place has been jammed both times. It can get loud with every table filled. (later reservations are recommended) The signature seafood entrees are very good.Special Features:
- Excellent food, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2009Excellent food, the service was good but not outstanding, several times we felt neglected or forgotten about, it appeared that the waitress had some other groups that were friends or regulars that were attended to first.Special Features:
- Great food and big portions.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2009Great food and big portions. Not a place for a quick dinner. Make sure you have at least 2 hours to spare for dinner.Special Features:
- I have been to restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2009I have been to restaurants all over the world and The Sole is my favorite. The menu and service is outstanding and the food is always cooked perfectly. I recommend this restaurant for any special occasion, date, or group dinner with friends and family. Excellent sushi as well...and save room for dessert, cannot be missed!Special Features:
- Love this restaurant--theyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2009Love this restaurant--they never disappoint. Consistently good seafood.Special Features:
- Waitress attentive and knowledgeablOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2009Waitress attentive and knowledgeable, service accurate, fast. Mentioned it was a birthday, and dessert came with a candle! Nice surprise for everyone at the table. Seated immediately at time of reservation.
- I can't comment on the outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/18/2009I can't comment on the outdoor dining as the weather was horrible the day we were there but the lunch menu selections were EXTENSIVE, the food was excellent, with generous portions and the prices were very reasonable. I would definitely visit again and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- The food was very good, however,PattiDined on 6/17/2009The food was very good, however, it took a very long time to get water at the table; it was quite loud and that made it hard to hear each other talk. The parking lot was full, so we had to drive around a bit to find a space on the street. Pretty good wine list, although there were definitely some gaps, such as no bottles of Cabernet Savignon that we could find listed.
- I have been going here forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/17/2009I have been going here for years and love the place. Food is always very good and service was overall good. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- My husband and I go to theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2009My husband and I go to the Sole once a month if we can and we love it. The food and service is always wonderful and now that they have added online reservations it makes it even better!Special Features:
- We went to the Sole for theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2009We went to the Sole for the Lobster Fest, which was absolutely excellent. Our server was well versed on everything on the menu and the wine list as well. All her suggestions that she made and we tried were all excellent. I did ask for a booth, we found not alot of room between the seat and the table, next time, I'll ask for a table for sure. My dad, who is 77 years old, had problems getting in and out of the booth. Other than that, everything was perfect.Special Features:
- great food! we ordered offM2242Dined on 6/8/2009great food! we ordered off the lobsterfest menu and all had wonderful meals!Special Features:
- The service and seating roomOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2009The service and seating room were sub-par for this expensive of a dining establishment. We did have 3 very good meals but one meal was below average. That was the meal that counted the most. I will not rush to get back here anytime soon.
- Service was excellent. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2009Service was excellent. Food delicious! Always a great meal in a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- I've been to the Sole manyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2009I've been to the Sole many times, it has lost it's charm for me. The tuna steak was not great, firecrackers were great as usual. I won't go back for a long time, and would not sit at a table again, only a booth, tables are too close to other guests for my liking.
- I really enjoyed it. The atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2009I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is nice. The food was excellent. The cost was on the higher side of reasonable but well worth it for the quality. A little too noisy in the dining room, but still worth it. The service was great. I will make this a regular destination for us.Special Features:
- We have been eating here forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2009We have been eating here for years and the quality of the food never diminishes. It is among my all time favorite seafood restaurants. Unfortunately I live 60miles away so only go ocassionally. We meet out friends who live 60 miles in the other direction several times a year. Although the restaurant can tend to be noisy, msome of the smaller rooms are more sedate.Special Features: