The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Non-Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (179)fit for foodies (132)neighborhood gem (106)good for groups (97)notable wine list (85)vibrant bar scene (77)great for lunch (69)hot spot (60)romantic (56)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (18)great for brunch (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- SkippyDined on 7/15/2014Have been meeting friends here for 4 Years. Usually sit at a booth in the bar but it was full so we were seated in a small room just off the bar. Somewhat noisy. Somewhat tight. Service was not as good as other years but it was very busy. Would still return as the food is very good!Special Features:
- Great for BusinessLuisDined on 7/13/2014All our customers love the food and the ambient, you will never go wrong with this restaurantSpecial Features:
- The sole was great food and serviceZladyDined on 7/12/2014The only problem was the noise level you could not hear the person sitting next to youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the SushiJimAndLindaDined on 7/12/2014Ordered the Firecracker and Sayonara Sushi apps and enjoyed them thoroughly. Service was attentive and knowledgeable; liked having a team of two wait staff to attend to our table of four. Was a great way to celebrate a birthday. Will plan on returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodcarlsgalDined on 7/12/2014Love the freshness of the seafood here. We came specifically for the Buster event. Three of us had the very yummy soft shell crabs--they were very big and full of delicious meat. My husband's dish, however, was disappointing. It was some kind of crab casserole with cheese and was very heavy on the cheese and had very little crab. He was pretty disappointed. Despite that, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service and food outstanding!luvcfoodDined on 7/11/2014We went for a birthday celebration (my husband and myself) and were not disappointed. Our waiter, Yuri, and his 'assistant' , Carmen, were excellent. Their timing was exactly the way we like it, not rushed but there when you needed them. Yuri had an excellent knowledge of the menu and food and gave excellent suggestions. We will definitely return to the Sole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousz4westDined on 7/11/2014as always the food was delicious and the service exceptional. it was buster's week - the appetizer of king crab legs was recommended and we were glad it was - two king crab legs was enough of an appetizer for 3 people. the baked stuff shrimp which was stuffed w/crab was not your run of the mill bread crumb stuffing - in fact I could not find a bread crumb! these baked stuff shrimp were so tender and the stuffing so delicious - highly recommended! swordfish (2 different kinds) was sublime. as a side note 2 people in our party could not attend last minute - a fender bender - and the sole took this in stride and did not make us feel as if we were 'taking up space.' manager is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014The Sole is always good. We love going there for special occations. The food is well prepared and the menu is diverse enough without being overwhelming. Service is very attentive but doesn't make you feel rushed. Great drinks as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014The Sole never fails to provide a superb dining experience...great seafood, good and attentive (but not overbearing) service, and a nice atmosphere. The prices are moderate (actually the food pricing is very fair and reasonable), but watch the wine and drinks which can make your tab soar. In Worcester, there is no better seafood restaurant.Special Features:
- My wife's Birthday celebrationTin17Dined on 7/9/2014From the moment we arrived thru the Birthday tulip cup desert our dining experience was truly memorable. We once again enjoyed the Sole to the fullest. Our servers were outstanding . They both seemed to enjoy serving us and that once again made our dining with you wonderful. Yours has quickly become our first dining choice as we have never been disappointed when we dine there.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!SharonDined on 7/7/2014The food and service is always top notch, and I have yet to have a bad experience.Special Features:
- Crab Month RocksLovesItalianFoodDined on 7/5/2014We came here to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday. The drink menu was outstanding and so was the crab menu. There was something to tantalize everyone. The main menu had many great selections if crab was not for you. We enjoy eating here and have always had a great dining experience. The wait staff is professional but fun. Food that is supposed to be hot arrives hot. Will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sole is great.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014. The food is delicious and the staff is very courteous and efficient. Highly recommend The Sole to anyone!!Special Features:
- YUMseafoodisdeliciousDined on 6/29/2014such a delicious dinner catching up with one of my best friends! Our waiters, Randy and Beth were phenomenal: great service, very knowledgeable, and very kind. Will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "sole" of the worcester groupBGBostonVIPDined on 6/28/2014Worcester Restaurant group has 3 stores that keep us going west on a regular basis. The Sole Proprietor is my favorite of the 3. Great portions, great food, great service and fair prices. It is hard not to order starters but you may not be able to finish dinner if you do. The Maître' D told me the Tuna sashimi was very good and he wasn't kidding. Extra rare with Killer wasabi , this was the best ahi tuna I have ever been served outside of sashimi in Japanese restaurants. Beet salad was very tasty albeit more salad than beets. the other meals were all very good.....but the Tuna warranted its own review!Special Features:
- Great DinnerCBGBSSDined on 6/28/2014Many interesting choices are available at this Seafood oriented restaurant. We can recommend it and would return. High energy crowded place with great accomodating service. We had the Haddock with Lobster Newburg which was excellent along with the Seafood Saute (lobster, scallops and shrimp) which was also excellent. Hatts off to the kitchen crew. No room for dessert and the Spanish coffees were a good ending to a satisfying experience.Special Features:
- CarolDined on 6/28/2014Party of 4 and each enjoyed their meal. Excellent preparation and spicing. Front staff and wait staff very professional and attentive!Special Features:
- We just keep going backCodyRFDined on 6/27/2014This is the best seafood you will get in worcester and the surrounding area. Large portions, great service, great selection.Special Features:
- Quality seems to be going downLvanGoDined on 6/24/2014The last couple times we have eaten at Sole we have been disappointed in the food. Most of the fish and seafood items have been over cooked and the other aspects of the dish not very special for the price you pay. As always the staff is pretty great and if you manage to get seated in one of the quieter rooms the ambience is rather nice.Special Features:
- Excellent Choice!MikeDined on 6/24/2014After over 20 since visiting last, The Sole Propeietor is still an excellent choice to dine when in the Worcester area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sole reviewReviewDined on 6/21/2014- sushi was mediocre, rice over cooked or not fresh - food was under seasoned - entrees were good - service with two servers very confusing- constantly asking if we've gotten this or thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We lucked out that this week was lobsterfest! Lots of creative entrees and appetizers featuring lobster.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Jim and Yuri were fabulous and we will request them when we go again. Going to make it a tradition to at least go again every year on our anniversary plus a few times in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood MeccaFinedinemstrDined on 6/20/2014If you are looking for great seafood and don't mind a noisy restaurant then be sure you experience this delightful gem. The food is superb and the drink selection is very impressive. The seafood platter included Lobster, Mussels, Clams/Oysters on half shell and was magnificent. The service could have been better however, the restaurant was packed on a weekend night. Aside from the noise level, the only improvement I would recommend is to improve the waiting area so it is not cramped for patrons waiting for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerfoodloverDined on 6/17/2014The service was great and the food was incredibly good plenty of selections on the wine list. The noise was a bit much but that was mainly from an obnoxious person seated behind us. I would highly recommend the sole proprietor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day delight!!KayBDined on 6/15/2014Great choice of restaurant to celebrate Father's Day with the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Wonderful ServiceJustineDined on 6/15/2014The Sole always comes through with fresh seafood prepared beautifully. Interesting cocktails, an extensive wine list, and good beer choices. We went there with a group of 8 for a birthday on Father's Day. The place was packed. The wait staff must have been zonked, but they were lovely, attentive, and warm. It's a bit pricey for us, so we don't go very often, but it is always excellent when we do go. Highly Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!FoodiewestDined on 6/14/2014Terrific food - shrimp tacos, swordfish, scallops & shrimp dish. Ate at the bar, Mark was great - made my special order swordfish happen; one of the best Old Fashioned I've ever had and very helpful with the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YoungerDined on 6/14/2014The food was delicious. The staff was friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great lunchjimbocu70Dined on 6/12/2014We had an excellent lunch celebrating a colleague's birthday; the Sole is routinely excellent. A group of us were also there for dinner last saturday night, and enjoyed ourselves immensely.Special Features:
- Best local seafood restaurant!Crazy4CrabLegsDined on 6/11/2014Best seafood restaurant in Worcester! Always fresh and always delicious! Been there a million times and have yet to have a less than wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As rememberedjpl67Dined on 6/10/2014While not having the opportunity to go to "The Sole" in awhile I decided to take my wife there for our 25th Anniversary. We received the table we requested, had a wonderful meal complete with special wishes on our dessert plate for our anniversary. This restaurant knows how to treat their customers, has a great stafff and wonderful food choices. We can't wait to have a chance to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceAmbroseDined on 6/7/2014Great food and service -- busy, moderately noisy, pricy. But definitely a great place for a special lunch or dinner. Make reservations to avoid long wait on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Seafood? Go to The SolebiggakoDined on 6/7/2014The first thing you notice about The Sole Proprietor is the tastefully appointed nautical theme of the restaurant. It is a very comfortable atmosphere especially for that special dinner night out. Next is the menu with many dishes that are unusual and intriguing. The kitchen staff is top notch so you cannot go wrong with any choice. The specials are always creative and delicious. Finally I have to mention the wait staff. Their expedience, accuracy and product knowledge are surpassed solely by their sunny dispositions. They work in teams of two even when servicing a table for two. This means that one of your servers is always near by if you need them and they both know what the other is doing for you at any given moment. They must have ESP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetheSoleDined on 6/6/2014Enjoyable dinner, food was delicious and the service was outstanding. We had dinner, salad and dessert....tulip dessert was as always the best choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!SharonDined on 6/6/2014Dining at the Sole is always a pleasure. You can count on great food and service, and you get what you pay for. Will continue to keep going back.Special Features:
- Best Swordfish EntreePhillyDawgDined on 6/5/2014Fantastic swordfish special, perfectly grilled with a tasty salsa topping over succotash mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014Food was delicious. Large menu. Service by the "wait team" was excellent and friendly. Crowded for a Wednesday night. Strongly recommend it for the full evening. Take your time and enjoy.Special Features:
- Great spot for seafood in WorcesterAdderley3CVIPDined on 6/2/2014This restaurant offers tops shelf service and food to the seafood lovers of greater Worcester. The menu offers the chef's creative expressions of fresh fish and more to satisfy most every diner. The staff is attentive and helpful and won't let you leave without offering a smile. Wine list is good and diverse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed......KateKDined on 6/2/2014Not the best night I've had in terms of dining at The Sole. We've had much better! Appetizers were better than dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1475 reviews are from the The Sole Proprietor reviews archive.