The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Non-Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
266 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (170)fit for foodies (127)neighborhood gem (101)good for groups (96)notable wine list (83)vibrant bar scene (76)great for lunch (68)hot spot (58)romantic (57)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (15)great for brunch (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Yum!SassyDined on 8/9/2014Good food, good service, clean, prompt and courteous staff. Easy parking and easy in and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigDVIPDined on 8/8/2014The specials for Worcester restaurant week were excellent.Special Features:
- King FishdinealotDined on 8/8/2014We went to the Sole for Restaurant Week and were very pleased as always. The choices were minimal but the food was very good as always. My wife had the salad and Broiled Haddock while I had the Salmon Marsala and the flourless chocolate cake. Both entrees were cooked perfectly and very tasty. The salad and dessert were big enough to share and the portions were decent size for a $14.14 special. Service excellent as always. Great place for A special dinner with Fish being their specialty.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Lunch SuperbOldGuyDined on 8/8/2014Bride and I thoroughly enjoyed Restaurant Week Lunch menu. Choices and flexibility broad and diverse for the low price. Entrees superb,as we enjoyed salmon and haddock choices. Service was superb and attentive. Free close ample parking a huge plus. Have eaten here several times in past and continue to enjoy the ambiance and meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014We love bluefish and that was one of the three featured entrees on the Worcester Summer Restaurant Week menu. So we chose Sole Proprietor for our dinner over the many other restaurants available. We chose wisely -- the bluefish was great as was everything else about the meal. I'm sure you will still be able to get bluefish now that Restaurant Week is over. P.S. We've eaten here before and everything is great.Special Features:
- Greatest Seafood in shoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Best place for Seafood in-shore, Much better than those "legal places:Special Features:
- Always superiorKinderVIPDined on 8/6/2014Always superior service, food and wine. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in worcesterYCENDined on 8/6/2014It's a very good place to go, not just for dinner, but for lunch. Price is not that concerned. Don't worry about that $$$. Food are great A little bit less room between tablesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014Worcester Restaurant Week - food was good and a great price for two courses. Service was wonderful; I had noted in my reservation that it was my father's birthday, and they made his dessert with a "happy birthday" written on the plate with a candle. It was perfect. Only problem is that it was very loud; we had two larger parties next to us and we had a very hard time hearing each other for most of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sole Continues Their High StandardsCarlBigDaddyJDined on 8/2/2014Once again I was rewarded with an excellent meal; crab rissotto, as was the rest of our party. My brother-in-law from Chicago was impressed and said he would recommend the Sole to a friend coming into Worcester in a few weeks. The place was packed and parking/seating took a while but I guess that is the price you pay for a great place.Special Features:
- enjoyable saturday night mealPaulalouDined on 8/2/2014We were seated on time for our 7:00 reservation - a nice surprise. We expected to wait. We were excited to see that we had not missed out on Buster!! There were a large number of crab appetizers and entrees. We got the crab spring roll - would have been really good if the ratio of crab to rice noodles was more in favor of the crab! I had the flounder stuffed with crab, scallops and shrimp - excellent. My husband had a perfectly cooked filet with stuffed shrimp -also an excellent choice. Service was very attentive, without being intrusive. They really have the service down pat. When is it bustling, like it was on Saturday night, there is not much you can do about the noise - so sit back and enjoy the food and service!!Special Features:
- Outstanding seafoodLocalDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Living in Metrowest, we always travel to Boston if we're dining out. In 30 years, we've probably dined in Worcester a dozen times- we just never think of it. I had a discount coupon from Open Table so we decided to try The Sole Proprietor. Our experience has completely changed our opinion of Worcester restaurants in general and The Sole Proprietor is now our #1 seafood restaurant in eastern Massachusetts. That's how great it was! The menu is huge, the food is prepared well and tastes great and the service (Joe and Mike) was off the charts. Rarely does one encounter a perfect evening, but this was it!Special Features:
- MartyDined on 8/2/2014We all ate off the seasonal crab menu. Everything from app, to 2 soups, to 3 dinners was excellent. Parking is very busy. We were seated about 10 minutes into our reservation time.Special Features:
- Great food, service, tight spaceedceDined on 8/2/2014The title summarizes it quite well. Since the space is tight, any louder conversation at the neighboring tables makes your own conversation more difficult to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time here; excellent againDoncookeDined on 8/2/2014Great food and excellent service. Not inexpensive but worth every penny. And Buster the immense inflated crab is back!Special Features:
- luvfrshfishDined on 7/28/2014This is the best seafood restaurant in town. Not cheap but worth it. I had simply cooked flounder. Not as good as the last one I ate which I caught myself hours before it went into the oven. That comparison is unfair; I haven't caught a flounder myself in over a year. Did it the last time i was on the Gulf of Mexico at St. George's island. The wait staff was great. Attentive but not obtrusive. Made me feel quite comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm nearly impossible to please...PaddlerDined on 7/27/2014...but, The Sole Proprietor hits the mark in EVERY WAY. I am an accomplished home chef, and I usually leave even high end restaurants feeling like I could have done better for far less money. Sole IMPRESSES and makes me feel like I've been REWARDED by having a break from the kitchen that really pays off. Great value (not cheap) for excellent dishes. The menu presents everyone with a tough decision with eclectic preparation styles and wide variety of seafood sure to have you debating between a few top contenders. But, you can't go wrong so don't worry! Our waitress was professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and had impeccable timing. All staff was smiling and pleasant. The whole experience was perfect for all four in our party.Special Features:
- SoleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Our total dinner experience was wonderful. We were seated immediately, the wait staff was helpful and knowledgeable and made great suggestions. Each of us were completely happy with our delicious entrees and plan to return soon.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The restaurant is one of our faves. The food and service was amazing. My only complaint was the crowded and busy atmosphere. I know 6 pm is peak time but the tables in the center of the back area are so crowded. Personally, those tables would be better used for groups of 4, we were a twosome, dressed to impress, and on a date (free time from our 3 young children) and I would have much preferred a booth or small table out of the way. I didn't ask because they were so busy and that seemed to be rude to ask the staff to accommodate something so trivial while so busy but some intuitiveness on the staff's part, might have been nice. My only other complaint, is the dessert menu. More varied and unique options are needed.Special Features:
- The solecapennDined on 7/25/2014Great food, excellent service!!! Highly recommend going when buster the crab is in town ... Great crab menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary DinnerFoodieDined on 7/25/2014My partner and I recently celebrated our tenth year together. We were fortunate that we had been given a very generous gift certificate to Sole Proprietor in Worcester as a holiday present and we were able to use this for our special occasion. Also celebrated my 60th birthday there with him 3 years ago-wonderful meals and memories from both!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014If you want great seafood and to be treated special, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dnb81Dined on 7/25/2014This is the 4th time I have been to this restaurant. I had the lobster roll, lobster was great, roll was stale. I asked for no salt on the fries but could not be accommodated. My lunch mate had the tuna tip special. She enjoyed it. She let me taste her dish. I found the tuna to be over cooked.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!rkamVIPDined on 7/24/2014I always enjoy going to the Sole! The food was fantastic and our server was very informative and attentive.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant!!Nate65Dined on 7/22/2014I always enjoy my visit to the Sole and highly recommend to all m friends. We sat in a side room this evening and it was much quieter and easier to visit with my friend. My meal was excellent as always!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salad was a bit skimpyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014i ordered a salad with salmon and the fish portion was fine, but the salad was smaller than in the pastSpecial Features:
- Very Popular Locals RestaurantJamesVIPDined on 7/21/2014Sole Proprietor has a nice selection of fish dishes, a raw bar, and sushi. The food is good and the prices are fair. We continue to have the same issue with this restaurant--you can't have a leisurely meal there because they bring your food too fast. Our dinners came while we were still eating our salads. The waiter just slid our salad plates to the side and plopped down our dinner. They have a nice wine list too, but there was no time to order wine, since we were still drinking our first cocktails when dinner came. They really are focused on turning those tables. We were leaving 65 minutes after arriving. I guess it's a good place to go if you are in a hurry.Special Features:
- impressed and happysilletimeDined on 7/19/2014The best dining experience my family and I have ever experienced. Jim and Yuri are awesome...I will request them every time...I can't say enough. My 13 & 14 yr old sons were treated like equals too...it was fun, the food was great...Thank you Jim & Yuri for spoiling us for every other restaurant! We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014The setting was nice and the wait staff were extremely nice. The food was fair, however, the lobster was not fresh and the clam chowder tasted like sausages. The dessert was phenomenal and the crab menu looked good.Special Features:
- SkippyDined on 7/15/2014Have been meeting friends here for 4 Years. Usually sit at a booth in the bar but it was full so we were seated in a small room just off the bar. Somewhat noisy. Somewhat tight. Service was not as good as other years but it was very busy. Would still return as the food is very good!Special Features:
- Great for BusinessLuisDined on 7/13/2014All our customers love the food and the ambient, you will never go wrong with this restaurantSpecial Features:
- The sole was great food and serviceZladyDined on 7/12/2014The only problem was the noise level you could not hear the person sitting next to youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the SushiJimAndLindaDined on 7/12/2014Ordered the Firecracker and Sayonara Sushi apps and enjoyed them thoroughly. Service was attentive and knowledgeable; liked having a team of two wait staff to attend to our table of four. Was a great way to celebrate a birthday. Will plan on returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodcarlsgalDined on 7/12/2014Love the freshness of the seafood here. We came specifically for the Buster event. Three of us had the very yummy soft shell crabs--they were very big and full of delicious meat. My husband's dish, however, was disappointing. It was some kind of crab casserole with cheese and was very heavy on the cheese and had very little crab. He was pretty disappointed. Despite that, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service and food outstanding!luvcfoodDined on 7/11/2014We went for a birthday celebration (my husband and myself) and were not disappointed. Our waiter, Yuri, and his 'assistant' , Carmen, were excellent. Their timing was exactly the way we like it, not rushed but there when you needed them. Yuri had an excellent knowledge of the menu and food and gave excellent suggestions. We will definitely return to the Sole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousz4westDined on 7/11/2014as always the food was delicious and the service exceptional. it was buster's week - the appetizer of king crab legs was recommended and we were glad it was - two king crab legs was enough of an appetizer for 3 people. the baked stuff shrimp which was stuffed w/crab was not your run of the mill bread crumb stuffing - in fact I could not find a bread crumb! these baked stuff shrimp were so tender and the stuffing so delicious - highly recommended! swordfish (2 different kinds) was sublime. as a side note 2 people in our party could not attend last minute - a fender bender - and the sole took this in stride and did not make us feel as if we were 'taking up space.' manager is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014The Sole is always good. We love going there for special occations. The food is well prepared and the menu is diverse enough without being overwhelming. Service is very attentive but doesn't make you feel rushed. Great drinks as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014The Sole never fails to provide a superb dining experience...great seafood, good and attentive (but not overbearing) service, and a nice atmosphere. The prices are moderate (actually the food pricing is very fair and reasonable), but watch the wine and drinks which can make your tab soar. In Worcester, there is no better seafood restaurant.Special Features:
- My wife's Birthday celebrationTin17Dined on 7/9/2014From the moment we arrived thru the Birthday tulip cup desert our dining experience was truly memorable. We once again enjoyed the Sole to the fullest. Our servers were outstanding . They both seemed to enjoy serving us and that once again made our dining with you wonderful. Yours has quickly become our first dining choice as we have never been disappointed when we dine there.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!SharonDined on 7/7/2014The food and service is always top notch, and I have yet to have a bad experience.Special Features: