The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474x
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (177)fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (105)good for groups (102)notable wine list (83)vibrant bar scene (71)great for lunch (65)hot spot (61)romantic (61)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (18)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- It was ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food is very expensive, the place is severely loud, the menu is huge too big for the table .. If four people sit in a table each one with a menu the menus would not fit on the table..the menus are huge not necessary. I order the lobster tail with asparagus, rice and mushroom me and my wife order the same thing and there was no mushroom on the plate we notice before we finish eating and the rice was jus kinda boiled tasteless ... The experience was ok but I feel like what I paid was only worth the lobster tail and the wine... But I pay over eighty dollars...I was still kinda hungry... I recommend people check this place for themselves.it was my first and last time there. I hope the manager get to read this...Special Features:
- Noisy, poor service, very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014We were there at 6:00 on a Friday night, place was packed, and noisy. The host said he was putting us at a quiet table, which wasn't, mainly because of a group at a table in the same room. Service was very rushed, waiter rushed us to order, there was a mistake in drink order, a mistake on salad dressing order, then the main course arrived when we were part way thru salads. We had asked for separate checks and they came with a complete mix up on who had ordered what. We were out of there in under an hour - not a pleasant experience. However the food was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014It's been awhile since dining at The Sole Proprietor since moving from the area. It felt good to be back, great food and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On-line ReservationsPD15Dined on 10/11/2014The on-line reservation system was fantastic! Quick and Easy. We were very well taken care of. The people at the hostess station and manager were so welcoming. Made us really feel special. Normally we come in and sit at the bar for dinner when it is just the two of us. But tonight we had a party of six and had a great time. The bartenders and wait staff are very knowledgeable and professional. The Sole Proprietor has always been one of our favorite places to dine. I highly recommend it to anyone that has not yet tried it.Special Features:
- Sole ProprietorGS1968Dined on 10/11/2014One of our favorites. Food and service always consistent. Nice atmosphere. Great restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentChrisMcpDined on 10/11/2014I've been dining here since I was a child and I try to come at least once a month still. Never a bad experience. Marc is the best bartender in Worcester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigDVIPDined on 10/11/2014The family got together for my birthday celebration. The booth worked for six. The food was fabulous. We had six different fish entrees and each was delicious. On Saturday it was crowded, noises and the servers were a bit stressed but nice. Overall excellent.Special Features:
- Always GreatChadbflVIPDined on 10/11/2014Dinner at the Sole is always a great experience. The food is well thought out, with incredibly fresh ingredients. The waitstaff are the best in the city. Each table gets 2 waiters and they really know the menu inside and out. I can honestly say, I've never had a bad experience here in the 15 years I've been going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicejlkbDined on 10/11/2014our meal was excellent and our waitress was knowledgeable friendly and helpful. the price point was on the higher side but it was a special night out. the one downside was that our leftovers were packed to go, and once we got home we realized that not all of the leftovers were packed up for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gift card redemptionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014arrived at 12:15 for lunch on Saturday, greeted right away with two smiling employees. Seated where we wanted to sit in main dining room booth. Was approached immediately by a waiter wanting to start off with water. Quickly returned and took our drink order, then our app. order. There were 3 waiters/waitresses tending to us and the few diners that day. Wonderful service and wonderful hot food! Best time to go for a relaxed lunch not busy and not loud. I had the salmon, out of this world, my husband had whole clams which melted in your mouth. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for it was a nice treat!Special Features:
- Special occasion not requiredLongIslandGuyDined on 10/10/2014Great food. Good Service. Friday eve expected noise level. Lunch times are quieter. Extensive selection. Don't save visiting for a special occasion. Have never been disappointed on several visits.Special Features:
- ReenieDined on 10/9/2014It was a last minute choice but a great one The oysters were absolutely wonderful Cannot miss Oyster Month everSpecial Features:
- Moment of Happiness:-)DaydreamsDined on 10/9/2014Great atmosphere, Great Services, especially online menu, I placed my orders when I reserved a table online. When hubby and I arrived, we chatted instead of go over the menu. However, we enjoyed our time there. Love everything about Sole. :-)).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always pleasedhappycamperDined on 10/8/2014As usual, another great dining experience at the Sole! Good was great, friendly and professional waitstaff. The only downside was waiting over ten minutes for parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodohenryDined on 10/7/2014A great place to dine. Good food and spirits and a nice place to spend time with friends and to celebrate happy occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect ChoiceSeafoodieDined on 10/5/2014We are not from the area and were looking online for a restaurant near Worcester Art Museum. We love seafood and the menu looked good so we made a reservation. We were seated promptly, drink orders were taken promptly, as were our appetizer, dinner and dessert orders. The food was excellent, the servers were very helpful and the prices were reasonable. I would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Solid restaurant but no wow factorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The restaurant enviroment was nice.dim lighting and eclectic trinkets all over. Food is good but it is $5-7 more a plate than it should be. I've had better food in the area for much less money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerFamilygirlDined on 10/3/2014It was my first visit. I took my dad for his 80th birthday. When he passed on dessert the waitress wrote happy birthday in chocolate sauce on a plate complete with a candle in whipped cream. He loved it! It's that special touch that will make me recommend Sole Proprietor to others.Special Features:
- consistently goodtanzanite105Dined on 10/2/2014always perfect for going out when visiting our son at WPI-consistently great foodSpecial Features:
- Seafood ExcellentHelenaWebekDined on 9/28/2014The seafood is exceptionally fresh, well prepared in a good low-key atmosphere yet one is well attended by the staff. Highly recommended for any type of seafood. There are some new specials which are innovative. The Sunday 3 course dinner is excellent and the price is very appealing. Portions are substantial and plated well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!yummmmDined on 9/28/2014Great food, great service, and overall a wonderful dining experience. Did get a little loud at some points, but everything else was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FISH SELECTIONSISSYDined on 9/27/2014THE ALASKAN SALMON WAS SPECTACULAR.....GRILLED TO PERFECTION. THE ROASTED VEGGIES AND ASPARAGUS WERE ALSO ROASTED TO PERFECTION WITH A LITTLE CRUNCH TO THEM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014If you only like seafood this is the place to go. You will pay a higher price per dish but the choices you have are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The SoleCharlieDined on 9/24/2014Had a great meal and superb service. A can's miss gem!Special Features:
- Sole ProprietoraldenmanDined on 9/24/2014Although a bit noisy, food is great. This place has one of the most extensive seafood menus in MA. The sushi is fresh & wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant to any seafood lover.Special Features:
- FantasticKateDined on 9/23/2014You always get the best food, freshest food and service is outstanding. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in Central Massluv5starsDined on 9/23/2014I've been to the Sole Proprietor many times and have never been disappointed. Their seafood is the best around. Sushi is also excellent. Great bar scene too.Special Features:
- Consistency is their traitLuvfudtastingDined on 9/21/2014Sole Proprietor is a great restaurant. Seafood is always fresh! For oyster lovers, they offer several options. Lobster is outstanding. Service is very good. Consistency is their trait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful mealdnb81Dined on 9/21/2014I have been here several times and the food and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Sister's BirthdaygallahadDined on 9/20/2014Originally scheduled for 24 August, My Sister's Birthday was moved to 21 September. Our server, Dustin, was excellent. I have criteria for "cold wine" (Ice AND water plus salt) and he fulfilled that request perfectly. The salads were great. My clams casino were excellant, as always. My sister's flounder was superb. "How do they ALWAYS cook fish so well?" she asked. Uncharacteristically, I asked for a recommendation for a wine. The Ramey 2011 Chardonnay ($51) was recommended. It took me back to my days of 1978, 1979, and 1980 white burgundies, that are no longer made that way. Thank you, Dustin, and the Sole, for yet another fantastic dinner.Special Features:
- They respect the fish...DougSDined on 9/19/2014... or is that "honor the fish"? When you combine first-class ingredients with first-class preparation that is inventive without being showy, you get a memorable dish. They did that three times for the three of us (not counting the shared appetizers). Whatever you try will be handled by a kitchen that knows it's doing. The waitstaff is friendly without being obsequious and attentive without being intrusive. The atmosphere is understated elegant. All in all, the "Sole" stands alone in the Worcester area for fine seafood. (I haven't had their steaks, but I've seen and heard great things about them as well.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Impeccable attention is given to the preparation, presentation, and service of each plate. The staff are very knowledgeable in describing the offerings.Special Features:
- high standard as alwaysmonkeyhouseDined on 9/17/2014never fails. great fresh selection of seafood. great beer and wine list. parking can be a pain but worth it. the oyster-fest selection is fantastic (i would recommend the martha's vineyard or PEI oysters). definitely always use OpenTable to make a reservation - even for 2 or 3. we had no waiting - straight to our table. a great night.Special Features:
- one of two best fish restss in n.e.publicusVIPDined on 9/16/2014the sole is one of two of the best high end fish rstaurants in new england. service is invariably excellent and the preps consistently well executed if perhaps not extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014This is a fine, quiet, stylish restaurant , perfect for a special occasion or a well-earned evening out. It's not necessarily the perfect place for big eaters or people looking cheap, fast food. The service was exceptionally friendly and flexible. They did their best to adapt the food and proportions to suit our needs.Special Features:
- A real "find" for us. Great Food!WPIparentsDined on 9/14/2014A gem in Worcester! Check it out, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wasn't great...IBChowinVIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been to the Sole several times, the food is always good. At one time, the service was oustanding, this time is wasn't good at all.They tell you that 2 waiters or waitresses will be serving you but once they introduce themselves you rarely see either. (It has been like this my last 3 visits) Ordered a bottle of wine, wife's was served in a diry glass(lipstick on rim) Manager brought a clean empty glass, wanted to fill it out of my bottle. What happened to the full glass of wine they poured in a dirty glass? With 2 waiters they always think the other one is taking care of you. (I'd rather have one good waiter than 2 bad waiters) The Sole won't be my first choice for dinner anymore, it's pricey but I didn't mind when the service was good
- Outstanding dinnerFoodiefamDined on 9/13/2014Went to Sole Proprietor while visiting our college student. Wonderful restaurant, exceptionally attentive service, extensive wine list and menu. We had crab cake sliders, chowder, blackened shrimp and the best of all stuffed lobsters with scallops and a ritz cracker crust. Food was delicious! We will be back.Special Features:
- Expert preparationJmailctDined on 9/13/2014In a state over filled with "seafood" restaurants, it's nice to find one that actually knows how to cook it! Tender shrimp (unusual enough) that's not undercooked? Amazing. Makes you appreciate how many others are clueless. Of course freshness is mandatory, but that's just the first step! Busy energetic place so book early if you can.
- Good EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Was out to celebrate my mother's birthday with family and friends. We all had a wonderful time and our server was very attentive and prompt. I would recommend this place to all seafood lovers of any ageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.