The Society Restaurant & Lounge
8229 Georgia Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Society Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.societyss.com/
- Phone: 3015658864
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thurs: 3:30pm - 12:00am, Friday 3:30pm - 2:00am
Saturday 2:30pm - 2:00am Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday Dinner 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sit down or buffet service
- Private Party Facilities: Call us today to hear about our wide variety of private dining options! Society Restaurant and Lounge has one private dining room and one semi private lounge area, in which we are able to accommodate a maximum of 16 seated in private room and 20 reception style.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Waskewich 8776496361
- Entertainment: Live Music - Tuesday through Thursday
DJ - Friday and Saturday
Call the restaurant for schedule or more information. There is a two hour table limit policy enforced for all reservations made before 8 PM. Please understand that this only being done to accommodate other diners. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
- Special Events: Reggae Tuesday every week
"Secret Society" Live band every Thursday
Friday Nights featuring various artist Live Music
Saturday Nights Come Listen to our DJ Spin
A word from The Society Restaurant & Lounge
Sunday brunch, dinner, out door dining and a full late night lounge experience in an upscale dining environment. Our cuisine combines classic American fare with authentic Caribbean flavors. Special menu features include Caribbean Jerk Chicken, Red Snapper and Homemade Bread Pudding. We also feature live entertainment every Tuesday through Thursday and a DJ on Fridays and Saturdays. Society restaurant and lounge is inspired by our deep love of people, community and hearty food. We celebrate the achievements of past and present influences and promote collective involvement to advance our local community. Come and grab a drink. Stay for dinner. We welcome you to experience the best of who we are, where we go and what we eat. Ask us about our corporate happy hour specials and birthday party packages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Society Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)hot spot (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- False AdvertisingDineNGoDined on 7/31/2014A year ago I went with my cousin on Thursday night and they had a live band playing. The ambience was nice and the crowd was upscale. Now, thinking the same and going by opentable.com written narrative and description of lounge, I took my out of town guest there this past Thursday. Again, it stated online, live band Tues-Thurs, Fri-Sat is a DJ. We get there on Thursday night and there is a DJ. I ask the host "where is the live band according to the website?" Her reply, "live band is only the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month." The website needs to be updated to reflect the same. In addition, the crowd was definitely ghetto with the DJ and not upscale. However, the DJ played great music yet too loud. Disappointed...Special Features:
- Very nice place to chillhappyhourhunterDined on 7/30/2014There service here was great. Very attentive staff and the food is excellent. They have a new deck up stairs that makes hand crafted martinis and the view is great. The live music over dinner was just right. Would recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with good musiclovesfoodDined on 7/28/2014Group of two couples enjoyed a good meal with great live jazz music.Special Features:
- Brunch was awesomekennydDined on 7/27/2014The brunch was amazing. Everything was seasoned and prepared with love. Unlimited mimosa and great service. Not to mention that bread pudding OMG. I will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lounge type spotpvannDined on 6/27/2014I love the bread pudding. Great place to come for food, drinks, or simply dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 122 reviews are from the The Society Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Delisciousness!!mssunnydaizDined on 4/27/2014A must for brunch! Find your way there for a different spin on brunch. You'll be content for days ... seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchZiggy13VIPDined on 4/20/2014I have been here before, but this was the first time for brunch. The food was okay, nothing to write home about, the service was great at the beginning and it went downhill after that. The mimosa were mediocre, I wish they wouldn't premix the champagne and juice in advance. The mango mimosa was definitely not worth the $2 upcharge.Special Features:
- Varied brunch buffeat a great priceGemmyVIPDined on 4/6/2014Brunch at Society offers the standard French toast and omelets, but it also includes steamed crab legs, jerk chicken, fried plantains, cheesy grits in addition to an unlimited mimosa option.Special Features:
- Music was hoping!MarylandCrabDined on 4/2/2014Everything was great. The band was jumping and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience....great staffCustomer2014ADined on 3/23/2014I had such a wonderful time at the Society Lounge! I went there this past weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday with a few friends/family. A few people turned into a CROWD! More people than expected showed up, and I was worried. Luckily, the manager, Byron, was very accommodating. He found additional space for my group and checked in on us frequently to make sure that we were having a great time. The ambiance was lovely and the food was INCREDIBLY delicious! (We were there for brunch- the FRENCH toast is divine!!) Our waitress, Carmelita (aka Carla) was so nice and kept the drinks coming. It was WORTH it and I look forward to my next visit to DC so that I can go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating is a bit of a hassleMsAmazing2uDined on 3/22/2014I've been to this spot a few time and really like it. So I convinced my significant other to date night there. We made reservations and I requested a booth. Unfortunately, when we arrived on time, we did not have a booth. We sat a 2 person seater in the middle of the restaurant. Hated it. I requested to be moved a couple of times and was blown off. Plus the 2 hour maximum at the table had us looking at our watch the whole time. Not cool when we're in deep conversation. The food is good but unless I can guarantee the seating I want, I will not be back. Just to make more money, you incovenience your guests with those tight 2 seater tables. Shame on managment!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Service veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014Food was great. Service very poor. Waiter seemed to be a nice guy but was very over whelmed. Music too loud for a dinner.... If any one is interested for a peaceful dinner dont pick this place.....it feels you are in a club at 8pm.Special Features:
- Great timemsamazing2uDined on 3/15/2014Met there with a few friends and the atmosphere was fun. There is a DJ at night and we enjoyed the music. Food was delicious with a Caribbean date. Looking forward to attending again. I did not like the 2 hour maximum for the table. We kept looking at our watches which took away from the enjoyment a little bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shot in the dark gone right!BreninskiDined on 3/8/2014I was in need of a place that served American cuisine. Silver Spring has been in need of a great place and The Society has hit the spot. I came for a quick dinner with my mom and fiance before the start of a performance on a Saturday evening (both are very picky eaters). I originally was concerned about time being a critical factor but even with the place starting the dinner service rush, they handled everything smoothly. Food came out hot, delicious and in a timely manner. No complaints from ANYONE at the table. The entire staff was informative, professional, and very courteous. I can't wait to try this place for a late night out, I'm sure the transformation will be just wonderful.Special Features:
- Great food, great crowd, great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/5/2014This was our first time at Society and we really enjoyed ourselves. There were four us and every dish was hot and delicious. The service was great, the crowd was having a good time. There is great live entertainment there too. Check it out. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayJohnDined on 2/14/2014The chicken truffle Marsala on the Valentine's Day menu was awesome If it's not on their regular menu, it should be. Had a drink called the The Champion; amazing! Service was really good, too; had a few people come by and ask how we were doing and how was everything. Great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food, Spirits & Spirit!MikeandLisaDined on 1/24/2014The Society has a unique combination of innovative, high-end cuisine and a contagious positive spirit from the staff. Started off with tasty cocktails. The appetizers were sensational - shrimp n grits for me, a spicy but well-flavored gumbo for my wife. We both had the tilapia & scallop entree - awesome! An unbelievable bread pudding (what else?) for dessert. The ambience was cozy at the beginning, with soulful (not sappy) tunes in the background. The staff worked as a team and were all cheerful; this cheerfulness is something that differentiates The Society from other high-end establishments. Heads-up: things get a lot louder after 8 PM. If you want romance, come early. If you want to party, come later. Either way, we're coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ❤️❤️❤️BrunchloverDined on 1/23/2014The layout is modern and very clean. The staff is amazing, from hostess to managers. Owner is genuinely interested in feedback and the wait staff is always attentive. The food is absolutely amazing! Good happy hour, and a nice variety of entertainment- from live singing duets to old school r&b to jazzy gogo groups. Thouroughly enjoy myself each and evey time I go.Special Features:
- Delicious food. Live musicMoniDined on 1/19/2014Delicious food. Live music is always great. Highly recommend for a girls night out or a birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Great food, a bit over-pricedSSFoodies8389Dined on 1/18/2014Food was good, but not for the price. If everything was marked down about $2-$4, this place would be a hit in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice energy, not a great restaurantNorbertDined on 1/10/2014Uncomfortable seating, wobbly table, a waitress who rushed every course, and forgettable food. Cool energy, enjoyable DJ, nice ambience.Special Features:
- Great service; we'll be backRickVIPDined on 11/15/2013They are always so attentive and work hard to make sure that you have what you need and are enjoying the meal, but not in an overbearing way. The service is great. And, the food is delicious. It's a little loud so don't expect a quiet dinner, but it's loud in a fun energetic way. Just come in expecting it and have a great time. My wife and I both got the Cajun pasta dish. It is very tasty with the right amount of spice. My wife got a glass of Cabernet and I got a glass of Pinot, both which were very good. It's not a huge wine list both they were good so we didn't need more choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thursday Night ExperienceDeezyresDined on 11/7/2013Visited on Thursday evening with live entertainment by Secret Society band. Band was great, food was great, and venue had a nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisejeffDined on 10/26/2013Went for a romantic anniversary celebration and found a hoppin', loud party scene. My mistake. Didn't bother staying for dinner since we couldn't hear each other. I'd try again if I were about 20 years younger.Special Features:
- Not enough spaceDelectableVIPDined on 10/20/2013I went here for brunch with my friends and we were a party of 4, but we were supposed to be a party of 6. I am glad the other 2 couldn't make it because this place it too small to host big parties. The food was phenomenal however, I am still thinking about the fried talapia.Special Features:
- Great food!NjeriCDined on 10/13/2013If you want great food in a great setting, visit Society Lounge. The Sunday brunch is especially excellent. Everything on the brunch menu was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great, attentive.JTMDVIPDined on 10/12/2013Service was great, attentive. Wings were great. Gumbo had bones in it and did not really seem like typical gumbo. Thin, no rice. Had the flavor of crab in it, but was told there wasn't any in it. Maybe it was the shrimp. Scallops were kind of fishy. Maybe just a bad night. Chicken and waffles tasted great, but is the chicken supposed to be wings?
- Was Just OkSplinkysgirlDined on 10/6/2013Unfortunately, the place was smaller than it appeared on the website. The tables felt crowded together. The Sunday brunch choices were very good but the taste was basic - nothing special. I didn't hate it but I wouldn't consider it as a repeat place for me.
- Bountiful BrunchDCdiningdivaDined on 10/6/2013My second time having brunch at Society and both times the food was delectable!!!! The service was timely and the staff is extremely responsive and courteous. I celebrated birthdays with a group of lovely ladies and we had a dynamic time. The food selection is good. They have an omelet bar some made to order selections, crab legs, crab balls, shrimp and a variety of other selections for all different tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is Devine. Chef is amazingTKluvs2dineDined on 9/29/2013Chef came out to chat with patrons and made sure we were enjoying the food. Brunch was sooooooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music way too loudKenBDined on 9/26/2013Our server and the manager were great. The food was average to good. However a big detraction was the music volume. It was excessive. I had to shout at people who were sitting no more than two feet away from me and we were sitting on the opposite end of the restaurant from the band and music. It was my first time there but I doubt I will go again.Special Features:
- I liked the Society Lounge,MLJMDined on 9/25/2013I liked the Society Lounge, we went right after work at 6:30pm the atmosphere was verry laid back and there werent' many patrons. The staff was friendly and attentive, as the evening continued more people came in for dinner and also to sit at the bar. One of the reasons that we choose Society Lounge is because on Saturday nights if you drive by there is always a line outside and it looks like it's really happening, but maybe that is only a weekend occurence. All in all we had a good time, the food was good, the drinks were potent and the staff was very good.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2013I never venture out to Silver Spring but me and a couple of friends had reservations at the Fillmore for a comedy show as a birthday celebration to me. So, we got on Open Table and Yelp and searched for restaurants local to the theatre where we could "turn up" before the show. This place was a GREAT find. For a Saturday night, the place was not crowded. I had the Salmon Spinach salad and had the 0-44 cocktail along with a shot later on. The ambiance and vibe of this restaurant is amazing - nice jazzy, R&B and pop playing in the background. It wasn't even crowded! I would highly recommend this place to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time at Society loungeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013The waitress and other staff were very pleasant. They catered to our every need and made sure everything was great. The food was wonderful as well.Special Features:
- Hot SpotDedeDined on 8/20/2013Great place to meet with friends and mingle with a mature crowd. Food and service was great. Music was EXCEPTIONAL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehh, OK I guessFoodLoverDined on 8/9/2013Dined @ Society Lounge on a friday night. Celebrated 3yr wedding anniversary. Ceasar salad-perfect. Had the snapper, hubby the pasta. Fish too salty but perfectly portioned. Rice & peas bland but cooked. Spinach left a sort of odd taste in mouth. Hubby's shrimp & chicken were fresh, noodles al dente, but sadly sauce was cheap tasting, like a kid's bbq spaghetti recipe. Drinks-phenomenal. Society Lounge is NOT stingy with the liquor. My O-44 was delish! Will definitely return to SL, but will prob stick to drinks & appetizers. Prices a tiny bit higher than I like, but expected for the area. Live music a plus. Be careful w/ valet-we were told $7, but car behind us charged $10 & they were in a similar sized make/model, not some hard 2 park TKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2013Great restaurant. Stopped by for Happy Hour. The staff was great. Atmosphere wonderful. I'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best location ever!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2013This lounge is worthy of being in DC, but found right in the middle of downtown Silver Spring. One of the few lounges where when you make a reservation you can be seated and participate in the happy hour still. Prices are very reasonable 5 dollars for most drinks and of their appetizers. The manager came around and checked on the patron what is a very nice touch. The lounge itself is very chic and has a very nice vibe to it. Since I live in this area I've visited here about 6 times and I can honestly say that it doesn't get too crowded and I have no complaints. Definitely a neighborhood gem!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2013I can always count on a good time and excellent food at SL. Whether you are coupled-up, hanging with friends or flying solo - this is the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to put on the Air conditioner!OsagieDined on 6/25/2013The air condition was very low. When asked if it could be adjusted, the manager stated that she couldn't because it was a controlled air system. For an establishment that is fairly new, I find it difficult to believe that the air system could not be adequately adjusted. and I certainly wasn't the only one fanning myself repeatedly that night.