The Society Restaurant & Lounge
8229 Georgia Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Society Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.societyss.com/
- Phone: (301) 565-8864
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thurs: 3:30pm - 12:00am, Friday 3:30pm - 2:00am
Saturday 2:30pm - 2:00am Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday Dinner 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sit down or buffet service
- Private Party Facilities: Call us today to hear about our wide variety of private dining options! Society Restaurant and Lounge has one private dining room and one semi private lounge area, in which we are able to accommodate a maximum of 16 seated in private room and 20 reception style.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Waskewich 8776496361
- Entertainment: Live Music - Tuesday through Thursday
DJ - Friday and Saturday
Call the restaurant for schedule or more information. There is a two hour table limit policy enforced for all reservations made before 8 PM. Please understand that this only being done to accommodate other diners. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
- Special Events: Reggae Tuesday every week
"Secret Society" Live band every Thursday
Friday Nights featuring various artist Live Music
Saturday Nights Come Listen to our DJ Spin
A word from The Society Restaurant & Lounge
Sunday brunch, dinner, out door dining and a full late night lounge experience in an upscale dining environment. Our cuisine combines classic American fare with authentic Caribbean flavors. Special menu features include Caribbean Jerk Chicken, Red Snapper and Homemade Bread Pudding. We also feature live entertainment every Tuesday through Thursday and a DJ on Fridays and Saturdays. Society restaurant and lounge is inspired by our deep love of people, community and hearty food. We celebrate the achievements of past and present influences and promote collective involvement to advance our local community. Come and grab a drink. Stay for dinner. We welcome you to experience the best of who we are, where we go and what we eat. Ask us about our corporate happy hour specials and birthday party packages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Society Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Silver Spring ›
The Society Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (17)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (8)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- This was my third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/31/2012This was my third time at Society Lounge, this time was for the New Year's Eve pre-party menu. Service: Terrible. First server, a young woman, disappeared without explanation. Second server, a young man, was aloof and disengaged. Took forever for our first glass of wine to arrive. Then, when we were still in the middle of our first course, out came our main dishes. This is a big problem and should NEVER happen for the prices being charged here. He shrugged and apologized. But the main courses just sat there getting cold while we tried to gulp down our first course. Main courses (tried fish and steak) were bland and nothing special. Finally a third server, a woman, came out and tried to save the day. She did her best and we appreciate
- Skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/9/2012We went on a Sunday night during the football game. The restaurant bar was crowded with Redskins fans cheering on their team. This made for a very undesirable evening, as it was difficult to hear my companions during conversation. The restaurant is mostly concrete and metals. There is nothing to absorb the sound. I cant even imagine how a jazz band would sound in that environment. The food was bland and the menu uncreative. The staff unfriendly and inexperienced in the service industry. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone and most certainly will never return
- Food was good. Not the placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012Food was good. Not the place to celebrate a birthday. Too noisy. Limited space/seating. When 10pm came they literally told us to leave as our table was reserved for 10pm and the party had arrived. We had ordered dessert but had not received it at this time. So rude. Won't to there again.Special Features:
- Don't Go On Wednesday NightsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/28/2012I made reservations on-line and when I arrived at the restaurant had to wait 5 mins and there were several tables open not sure why I had to wait 5 mins. Then once we got seated I asked the hostess for the special and she did not know and informed me she will be right back and when she returned, she still could not tells us about the special for the night. I asked her about the wine list and she said what ever is on the menu. I was so done at that point. When the food arrived it was cold. The night was not as good as I thought it was going to be. I will never go back on a Wednesday night again.Special Features:
- Sweet Spot in Silver Spring!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2012Had a great time at Society. It was our first time there (11/17/12) and we wanted to see if it would be a good spot for my friend's upcoming birthday. The place is a bit small but it's very nice inside and the bar scene is packed. Our server Andre was great and very accommodating. The food was good and their drinks were on point. They play live music on some nights and there's a DJ there on Saturday nights. The downside is that because the place is small there's a 2hr time limit for you to sit and eat. So make sure you don't take forever to order! But fortunately, my friend is friends with the owner so we got to stay a little while longer and really enjoyed ourselves ;) Other than that, I would definitely recommend going there.Special Features:
- A New(er) Spot in Silver Spring!CLBeeDined on 10/27/2012We had reservations for a Saturday night. We were taken right away and when we requested a table change so that we wouldn't be sitting right by the door, our request was accommodated. The food was very good, between us we had the calamari (great spicy aioli sauce), the Atlantic salmon with sautéed spinach and carrot pilaf (very well done), sea scallops (nice size and very flavorful), and the whole red snapper. The snapper was delicious, well-seasoned but it was difficult to debone in the reduced lighting. The bar was full. The mixed drinks were great, and huge; "O44" was a hit! The bread pudding was phenomenal! A DJ played "Old School" R&B a little later in the evening for listening and dancing. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent venue. Food, service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2012Excellent venue. Food, service, drinks, and customer service were A+++. Valet parking was an excellent choice I made as well.Special Features:
- Came for brunch on a SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2012Came for brunch on a Sunday around 11:45, my guest and I were the second guest there. Price was about 25 per person and includes unlimited mimosas which as a big plus. I was impressed at the options they had at the buffet, which included shrimp and oysters on ice, and crab legs. Along with the seafood, they served omelets to order, they do need to work on their waffles because they are smaller than regular size but thick and kind of dry. Society never really got packed which was great, which made it a neighborhood gem for me, I'm sure in time as more people find out about the restaurant it will change.Special Features:
- A Good Thing Gone Bad, FAST!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2012The service at Society has greatly declined, including the Valet Service. The taste and quality of the food does not compensate for the horrible service. The new staff is unfriendly and inattentive. We knew it was just a matter of time that this new restaurant would go down hill, and fast! We have no intentions of revisiting Society.
- A nice gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012I thought this was a nice spot. Especially for happy hour or just wanting to do dinner when you don't feel like cooking. It felt like it was definitely a grown up, mature spot...Special Features:
- I Love this place!!!ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2012I Love this place!!!Excellent service, food and ambience...Took my parents here who were visiting from LA and they loved it...Ive been her a couple times and the service has always been the same EXCELLENT!
- The food was cold. Also theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2012The food was cold. Also the waiter swiped my card 3 times for a single transaction. He was more into watching the game on tv than working.
- Bad TimingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2012The waitress was attentive but the overall service was extremely poor. We waited more than 40 minutes for our first "happy hour" drinks and another forty for the appetizers. The explanation was that the bar "ran out of martini glasses." When the appetizers finally arrive, my burgers, although I asked for well-done, were rare. I sent them back for replacement, and the new order was put on another diner's table. Many customers in our area complained about the slow service and poor customer attention. In addition, the restaurant was attempting to hold a author book signing, which was unfair to the author and patrons, because "happy hour" on Friday is not the proper venue for a book signing. No one paid attention to the poor author.
- I had originally booked forBellaDined on 8/31/2012I had originally booked for 4 people and they were very efficient in accommodating an extra 5 more people at a last minute request in the VIP section especially on a Friday evening. Our waitress was outstanding! I thought the service was very efficient. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Nice Jazz BrunchPennyDined on 8/19/2012The jazz band (female sax player) at brunch was excellent (and not too loud as some bands can be in a small space).Special Features:
- We arrived for lunch to findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2012We arrived for lunch to find we were the only occupants of the restaurant, which was quite nice to have the whole place to ourselves. The decor was very chic with a jamacian style menu. I fried mac n' cheese balls were delish! Prices were reasonable for lunch. Will go again :)Special Features:
- Great music BUT it was tooNayfromLADined on 7/31/2012Great music BUT it was too loud to hold a conversation with someone next to me. EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!!Special Features:
- Had a great time, food wasEB1993Dined on 7/31/2012Had a great time, food was good. There was also a live band playing classic Jamaican songs...they were a bit loud though. The good news is that you can sit away from the band, or come on a night other than Tuesday. Overall, you should definitely try this Silver Spring gem! :-)Special Features:
- The Society Lounge Brunch was greatAngelDined on 7/29/2012Relaxing atmosphere and great food. Went there for Sunday brunch. Nice assortment food on the buffet.Special Features:
- New and ExcitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012I thought this place was new and exciting, upon arrival I was excited to see valet parking and at a great price. The parking attendants were courteous and seemed to handle the cars well. I wasn’t fearful of having my car damaged or ransacked. Also, I really enjoyed the fact that I was able to make reservations online. My party was seated quickly and we had a great friendly waiter. Now, for the small things that bugged me, the dress code: my party was dressed to impress as indicated on the website and to see men in sneakers and shorts hanging off their waste I was disappointed. My expectations were high, and I didn’t get that impression that professional men would frequent this establishment. Secondly, the food was not great I had twoSpecial Features:
- My wife and I went here forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2012My wife and I went here for dinner during the week and it was great. We met the owners, Jason and Sandra, and they were very nice. My wife and I want to go back to try more items from the menu.Special Features:
- Great place for socializing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012Great place for socializing. Good food and atmosphere. A little small for live entertainment. Arrive early for good seating.
- I enjoyed the music and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2012I enjoyed the music and the cheesecake - but that was about it. I did have one nice female bartender. Our waitress (Gabby), was ok. The hostesses were a bit rude, for lack of better words. And, I didn't like the fact that they didn't want to offer us happy hour at the table we were at simply because we weren't seated at the bar, but we were at the table next to the bar. I also didn't like the restaurant telling OpenTable that I didn't honor my reservation, which I did. I won't go back.
- Very nice atmosphere. CatersDonnaDined on 7/25/2012Very nice atmosphere. Caters to the older crowd which is nice. Lemon drop martini needs some work but ok for $5. Definitely will recommend to others. Appetizers were yummy. New menus are needed.Special Features:
- This was my first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012This was my first time here and I was very impressed. The staff was very attentive to our party and knowledgeable of the menu. The atmosphere was great and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Society is Lots of PositiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2012Society is Lots of Positive Energy, Great Music, nice Crowd of Middle age people,overal Lots of FUN!!!Special Features:
- The service/food is alwaysReCeeVIPDined on 7/11/2012The service/food is always delicious. I have been several times and I will continue to let others know about this great restaurant in Silver Spring, MD.Special Features:
- I would not return for theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2012I would not return for the food or service, but I would return on tuesday night for the live reggae music and a few drinks!
- SO loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2012First review I have even been moved to write, but feel I would have liked to have been warned myself. The food at this place was good-to-great. I had a pulled bbq chicken sandwich, sweet potato fries, both excellent, and my friends were pleased with their meals as well. However, I doubt I'll go back, as I like to be able to speak to my dining companions. It was SO LOUD due to the bar noise (on a Tuesday!)and acoustics, even before the BAND started, that the three of us were yelling at each other to even have a conversation, having to repeat every other sentence. The reggae band started as we were finishing our meals, and we hurried to get out; at that point it was nearly deafening, no conversation possible at all.Special Features:
- We were a group of four andShirlGirlDined on 6/30/2012We were a group of four and everything started out ok, with fairly attentive service, and then it turned into an unacceptable dining experience. We hadn't finished our salads, and our entrees were brought to the table and plunked down in front of us while salads were still in place. One entree had the wrong side, and the waitperson took the plate from under his salad Bowl and scraped the side off his plate onto it, so she wouldn't have to take the plate back to the kitchen. We did not stay for dessert, because it was obvious that they were in a rush to have us finish our meal quickly.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2012I was very disappointed as I had heard great reviews about the establishment. However, the service was lacking. I sat for 30 mins. waiting for a waiter to come; I finally got up and asked someone for some assistance. I was told by a young lady that she would get my waiter and when I told her I had been waiting she immediately apologized and decided to serve me. It was very hot that night and the restaurant was very hot. There was a wonderful band that I went to see however the music was too loud for the establishment or perhaps my expectations. The menus were greasy and the table didn't have a table cloth.Special Features:
- I heard about this restaurantSJay1Dined on 6/22/2012I heard about this restaurant on a Fri from a co-worker who had not been yet. My husband and I had a free night, so I suggested we go that night for dinner. We had reservations for 7:15. Lots of people at the bar and a very "energetic" (very loud) noise level which came from the bar area. It's located next to the dining area. We were promptly seated at a two top table. It was very small and the proximity to other larger tables was very tight. A person or couple would pass by us, they had to turn sideways and apologize. There was an event happening @ 9pm, so workers began removing tables/chairs above our heads @ the end of our dinner. Our food was very good and the server was attentive. Would go back for drinks & apps w/friends.Special Features:
- Authentic Carribean freshnessShazVIPDined on 6/19/2012We went to dinner here for on a Tuesday night and the place was jumping. They have music nightly, and it was reggae night. Our waitress was lovely, very charming and competent. The food was excellent. I had a salad with rice and beans on the side, and they were cooked with a perfect Caribbean flavor. My dad loved his shrimp kebabs but my mom said they were too spicy even though she ordered mild. She shared some of my husband's salmon, and tho that is not her favorite fish, she said it was excellent. It had a sweet glaze they both liked, and my husband said mom's shrimp was great. I also tasted a side of spinach, which was terrific. No garlic, which is the lazy way, and not boiled to a pulp. Very fresh. Get Caribbean cannoli for dessert!Special Features:
- 3 of us had dinner. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/20123 of us had dinner. The food was excellent. 2 had salads with chicken, I had BBQ chicken sandwich. Martini was excellent. Tequila Specialty drink was nothing special. Weak point was the service. Waitress did not seem trained or experienced. But I would go back.Special Features:
- Room for PotentialArtNSoulDined on 6/14/2012This has the possibility of being a great restaurant/lounge, but the service is lacking. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt because they are still somewhat new, but I wouldn't suggest doing anything for a party or large group. Food was good, nothing amazing. But the atmosphere and the music is what you go for.
- We enjoyed the food very much.Srs1204Dined on 6/14/2012We enjoyed the food very much. The chic and modern ambiance is a nice addition to the downtown Silver Spring scene. However the musicgot too loud around 8:15. It seems the restaurant wants to exude a lounge like atmosphere at night, which I appreciate, but 8:15 isbtoo early. We were finishing dinner and the noise encouraged us to get going. On another night, though, I would return after 9pm for the bar scene itself.Special Features:
- Silver Spring GemReCeeVIPDined on 6/12/2012This is my second time dinning at the restaurant with friends. The food, wait staff and music is wonderful. I will continue to tell friends and family members about this great restaurant with the hopes they will stop by and love it just as much as I do.Special Features:
- Very nice spot in Silver Spring.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2012Very nice spot in Silver Spring. Maleak our waiter was very gracious. The atmosphere was really contemporary. Very nice evening! Thanks
- Nice neighborhood spotDCDinerAnneDined on 5/28/2012A nice nighborhood restaurant with a welcoming friendly atmosphere. Serves good food that doesn't change from visit to visit. Management is welcoming and happy to accommodate any needs.
- It was extremely hot in theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2012It was extremely hot in the restaurant. The food was okay; not great but okay. It was also very loud and was hard to hear the people at our table due to the music being so loud.