The Smoking Goat Restaurant
3408 30th St
San Diego, CA 92104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smoking Goat Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesmokinggoatrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (619) 955-5295
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, French
- Executive Chef: Fred Piehl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Smoking Goat Restaurant
The Smoking Goat is an award-winning French & American Bistro located in the heart of North Park. The meals served star in-season local, sustainable and organic ingredients and are paired with boutique wines, craft beer and/or hand-crafted cocktails. A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris, Executive Chef and Owner Fred Piehl pairs his classical training with down-to-earth bistro sensibilities to create culinary creations that are rustic, imaginative, and yet unpretentious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Smoking Goat Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North Park ›
The Smoking Goat Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (96)special occasion (46)romantic (46)hot spot (37)notable wine list (33)great for outdoor dining (24)good for groups (23)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent MenuRoroDined on 11/18/2014I've been here a couple of times now and the menu has been different each time, although they seem to keep some apps, salads and desserts which is great. The pork belly and duck have bone been perfectly cooked and presentation was great. The food has always come out withing a reasonable amount of time. The waiters were great and recommended a great wine. It's recently become a favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food - if they had itNoSmallThingDined on 11/16/2014We had a group of four for dinner on Sunday night (7:15pm). The restaurant wasn't that busy, we were seated right away and we had a great table. The waitress was very attentive but informed us they were out of two of their entrees. One of our group ordered ice tea, she came back and said they just ran out. WTF? She did brew a cup with a tea bag and brought the then fresh-brewed tea to the table. Who runs out of ice tea? Clearly whoever was in charge of ordering food, didn't make it in. BUT the food was excellent. Two orders of short ribs, pork belly and white bean cassolet. We will be back, I think it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!JULIANADAKOTADined on 11/13/2014This restaurant has been on my list of places to try for ages, somehow I hadn't quite gotten around to it yet but boy will I be back soon... It was FANTASTIC. Definitely should have gone sooner. I had the nightly special for this past Thursday evening, a pork chop served on a bed of whipped parsnip puree with an accompaniment of asparagus. It was divine. The large chop was cooked to perfection and had a melt in your mouth quality that was so good I quite literally finished it down to the bone and then gnawed on that too, just get every last little morsel. Great wine list, I gave it a gander but skipped to the cocktails. I'm normally a hard liquor girl and they don't serve it but I wasn't disappointed by the North Park Negroni. Aromatic and well balanced but not too overwhelming. Notable other picks were the burrata & prosciutto salad with arugula and a balsamic drizzle and the ribeye. I snuck a bit of the ribeye and it too was cooked to perfection, served with a small salad and duck fat truffle fries. Our server was excellent, having that rare quality of always being there right when you find yourself looking for something but without hovering. Perfect anticipation and killer recommendations. He was on point. I had a delicious concoction of banana bread for dessert that had been slightly caramelized and paired with a caramel sauce including fresh banana slices and a dollop of ice cream, also excellent. Again I stole a bite of the dessert across from me, a goat cheese cheesecake with an apricot drizzle that was also a force to be reckoned with. Fab espresso, fab decor and ambiance, and a meal that was to die for. What more can you ask for? I definitely won't be waiting so long to return for a second helping. Kudos Smoking Goat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeechbratVIPDined on 11/9/2014Excellent food. We got the braised short ribs, pork belly and the pear and Gorgonzola salad. All 3 were amazing!! The La Marea Mourvèdre 2012 is a perfect pairing with any of the above food items. It's light and smooth with jammy full flavored notes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor servicemeltingmomentsDined on 11/7/2014My boyfriend went to Smoking Goat for our 5th anniversary, and while I loved the food and enjoyed the ambiance, I can't say the same about the service. He was barely around and hardly attentive. We had to flag him down to place our orders after his long absence from our table since being presented with the menus. We ran out of water and never had our bottle refilled. I had to flag down another waiter to tell him my food was underdone (flavors were wonderful though) because our server never checked back with us after we placed our orders. He also didn't acknowledge that we were celebrating a special occasion. I wasn't expecting anything complementary but it would've been nice for him to at least acknowledge that it was a special day for us.Special Features:
- Better than Last TimeLouieCVDined on 11/7/2014Had the beet Salad and Cassulet. Not what I am used to in So. France, but it will do in San Diego. Regards,Special Features:
- PeggyMacSDDined on 11/5/2014First ate here during Restaurant Week and was so impressed with the food that I couldn't wait to come back. Returned with two friends to celebrate a Birthday and was not disappointed! All of our meals were delicious: duck, steak, and scallops. Wonderful escargot for appetizers...love the generous order of crisp bread that accompanied for dipping in the butter. Nice wine pour and good service made the evening a great success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork BellyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014Couldn't resist ordering and glad I didn't.... juicy, crisp, mouthwatering....Special Features:
- Dan11Dined on 10/25/2014Excellent French food. Relatively small menu, but each item is very flavorful, very carefully done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gift CertificatejavajoeDined on 10/24/2014A friend gave us a gift certificate to Smoking Goat so we used it.Special Features:
- Great price for wine and beerMikifoodieDined on 10/24/2014We had a great time sitting at the bar during happy hour. Very nice prices for drinks. The duck truffle fries were great albeit the presentation could be much better. Just thrown on a plate really detracts from the deliciousness and special flavoring the chef infused in these pommes frites. Having escargot on a happy hour menu is almost unheard of. Nice garlic butter. Snails were a little rubbery but still tasted nice. Beet salad was not memorable. Serve it with some more creative condiments, pretzel roll or brioche, better pickle and maybe even some carmelized onions. Oh, speaking of onions,l the onion soup gratinee is better left off the menu. Flavorless broth. Dinner menu is much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoking Sweet!MarrowBonzDined on 10/22/2014Most people I know are not fans of animal innards/offal. My guess is that this is due to preconceived perceptions, including some yuck factor, rather than experience eating the meats. Their loss. But the loss is mine, too, because few restaurants serve veal sweetbreads, beef tongue, lamb cheeks. So I rarely get to savor these much loved foods, unless I make them myself, which I sometimes do, though all are relatively labor intensive. Thankfully, for my taste buds, The Smoking Goat has not been deterred from preparing a most yummy veal sweetbreads appetizer with a subtle spinach gratin sauce that I had the enormous pleasure of enjoying. Our server was excellent--as is the entire staff. I will be looking for the chef's lamb cheeks...Special Features:
- Unique food near Balboa ParkBMorDined on 10/18/2014Spent the day at Balboa Park so the Smoking Goat was conveniently close by and was highly rated by Yelp reviewers. We order two popular items from prior reviewers - Pork Belly and Duck Breast and we were not disappointed. Both were flavorful. Duck was tender and not gamey. Server was friendly, timely and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Call for ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014Tried all potential times through Open Table and there was no availability except 5pm when they opened, which was much earlier than we wanted. When we arrived and all through dinner the restaurant was less than 1/2 full and they said there was plenty of room. Knowing this, I will call for reservation if Open Table can't offer time wanted. I am thinking that this potentially drives business away - we actually picked this restaurant because two others - through Open Table, were booked.Special Features:
- MediocreupsidedownluckyDined on 10/17/2014Comfortable Setting. Good Service. Specialty cocktails were weak attempt at delivering a Specialty Creation that makes you want to order another. The collective of the group was not impressed with the plates. The scallops and duck were overwhelmed by their partnered ingredients. Good Service. Won't go back.
- table for twoediblesandiegoDined on 10/12/2014i had the slow cooked porkbelly, and my friend had the cassoulet and both were absolutely incredible. The pork belly was tender and there was a lot of thought into crafting hte polenta that it rested atop. The cassoulet was very full of flavor and the beans were able to absord a lot of hte flavor of the lamb and the duck. For the appetizer we had the duckfat truffle fries that were incredible and stayed crispy. The service was quite nice. and the lighting was dim but not too dim. I only wished that they had a better selection of mixed drinks. They only had beer and wine as well as some cocktails made with sake i believe. Otherwise, everything else was delicious and the over all experience was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationSoCalFoodieDined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed our restaurant week choices. The goat cheese cheesecake was the best. It was a little overpriced for the one meal of fries, gnocci and desert for $35! Also, I put in my reservations that it was for a birthday celebration specifically, nothing was ever mentioned about my son's birthday, no singing, nothing. And secondly, we waited for 30 minutes after our meal was done for the forgotten dessert to be brought to the table. The bill had already come, and been paid and I finally caught the waiter's attention who had no idea why we were waiting around, I guess. I was a little bit disappointed at the I attention to detail and the 25 min. wait for our reservation.Special Features:
- FinallyitsKCDined on 10/1/2014I've had The Smoking Goat on my list of restaurants to try and the opportunity came during Restaurant Week. Basically, it was everything that I could've imagined and more. Every single dish was delectable and orgasmic. 10/10 would do again.Special Features:
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2014My first time at The Smoking Goat and it was delicious! One of the best meals I've had in SD in a long time. Even though their dishes are fairly sophisticated, the price is great and the taste is out of this world.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014Wait staff was wonderful and helpful in all ways. Food was unique and the blends the chef put together were fantastic. We had the onion soup, pear salad, rib eye (perfectly cooked as ordered), salmon (nice crispy skin), apple crisp and chocolate bread pudding.Special Features:
- Cozy and deliciouscoipticDined on 9/30/2014Can't believe I haven't been here before. Everything on the menu looked appetizing! I started with the pear salad, then the salmon, and finished with the pear cheesecake, all executed beautifully with just the right balance of flavors.Special Features:
- restaurant week let downSDFoodloverDined on 9/30/2014Wait staff were impersonal and appeared bored with their clients. Request for recommendations felt more like a canned response than someone who was interested in the cuisine. The place was not busy but we were rushed and made to feel like a nuisance. The food? Well, butter isn't a seasoning but my salmon and puree were swimming in it. My meal was overly sweet and coated my mouth with fat from the butter. The goat cheese cake was lovely.
- Great service. Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014I had high expectations for The Smoking Goat. While the ambiance was pleasant and the service was great, the food was good but certainly not amazing. The pear and bleu cheese combo was spot in but the greens were subpar. The duck was delicious but the brussel sprouts were way under done. The goat cheesecake was definitely one of a kind and my favorite part of the meal by far, but the chocolate bread pudding was missing something. Overall, I would return to The Smoking Goat to give it a second chance but I would hope the food would be improved considering the price the customer pays.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week offerings just oksurfmomDined on 9/28/2014I'm not sure about their normal menu but I found the Restaurant Week offerings to be just alright. I had the french onion soup which was a little bland and my husband had the escargot which also required salt to make it stand out. For dinner I had the slow cooked pork belly and my husband had the ribeye. Both were good but not out of this world. The table next to us had to return their salmon for being too watery and the gal didn't seem very impressed with the pork belly either. The desserts, however, were amazing! Chocolate bread pudding and "goat cheese" cheesecake. Waiter was nice but didn't really stand out. Ambience was cool and the chairs were super comfy. I'd be interested in trying out their regular menu.Special Features:
- YUM!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Came for Restaurant week and had the grilled beet salad and Duck-fat fries. I can eat just the beet salad and fries are fries (nothing to report there). Had the Underbelly and Duck breast, both were moist. Food you close your eyes to and savor all the flavors. Finished off with Goat cheese cheesecake and apple crisp. If you like creamy cheesecake, don't hesitate to order this baby. Nothing special about the apple crisp, but still tasty. Service was great, I thought would have been too pretentious, but it's very casual with an elegant woodsman decor inside. Caution if you eat outside, you can smell the smoke from the dive bar next door but you can see the action across the street at the North Parker. Parking can be tough at peak hours.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodieCutie23Dined on 9/27/2014This was my 2nd time here. Both times I was excited to order something specific from their dinner menu and both times there was a prefix menu. That said, the food was amazing. I really can't wait to order from their dinner menu. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was blown away!sami1031Dined on 9/27/2014The service and food were both the best we've experienced ever dining out. Amazing. We came in for restraunt week but will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoking Goat - SDRW 2014tomkDined on 9/26/2014Reservation through Open Table was easy to do and worked well. Received a confirmation text the day of the reservation - a nice touch. Our table was ready immediately. All food ordered was excellent. The ambiance was interesting and the servers were attentive. This is my third time to The Smoking Goat and it has risen to one of my top restaurants in all of San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTstylesDined on 9/26/2014The service was incredible starting from the server to even the bus-boys. The food was greatly executed. My steak was not cooked to what I ordered but was exceptional that I did not mention it to the chef. It was great to see the chef/owner at the hot plate though! One of my major perceptions of a restaurant is usually with the flatware -- the attention to detail to the flatware was flawless. I appreciate when the servers remove used/unnecessary forks/knives during service. I will absolutely return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Foodmbl2014Dined on 9/25/2014Having never heard of this restaurant before restaurant week, I was delighted by the choices and the outcome of the food. The restaurant itself was clean and not to loud, allowing me to actually carry on a conversation with the person sitting across the table from me. I would definitely recommend this place and I expect to come back soon.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014We went as a date night and didn't realize it was restaurant week. Their $35 restaurant week options were great and we had a great time and enjoyed the food a lot. We ordered the french onion soup (below average), duck fat fries (very crispy), snails (very garlicky), duck breast (well cooked) and the pork belly (very tender). Everything was really good.Special Features:
- Our first time at the Smoking GoattraveljunkieDined on 9/25/2014was restaurant week. What a great find. The food was fantastic and we are foodies so this is a serious comment. Young and hip, with a good bar area. You can eat at the bar or tables in the bar area which is nice. Out side dining is on the side walk but the restaurant has a nice open air feel to it. FUN!Special Features:
- Great place to eatluvfoodandwineDined on 9/25/2014Attended the restaurant for restaurant week and had a fabulous meal all the choices looked fantastic. Each of us had different dishes and they were all really excellent. Our waitress was very attentive and had good recommendations. Wine list was good and reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014I tried 3 restaurants during this year's SD Restaurant Week (2014). This was the best one!Special Features:
- Elegant Fare in a Casual SpaceAnneMacDined on 9/24/2014We had a lovely meal during Restaurant Week. My partner enjoyed the pork belly, which sat upon the most dreamy creamy cheesy polenta we had ever tasted. The greens that came with it were firm and flavorful. I had the duck breast over creamy butternut squash puree. The portions were generous and we left nothing behind on the plate. The goat cheese cheesecake with an apricot jam was light and airy, and very fresh. Parking near 30th and Upas can be challenging, but we found a nice spot just around the corner. A great night overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, slow serviceKayeightDined on 9/23/2014The place looked like a pintrest-hipster wall that came to life. The food was great, but main dishes felt "heavy". Service was slow, except for the check. I push both by starter and entree asside after waiting 10+ minutes for someone to come pick it up. A three course meal took almost 2 hours.Special Features:
- Good food good vibeSDsurfmomDined on 9/23/2014We really enjoyed our 1st visit to The Smoking Goat during restaurant week. The food was delicious and I especially liked the comfortable seatingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinej3ffDined on 9/23/2014The food and the ambiance the location was a great experience.Special Features:
- ABSOLUTELY A MUST!!!!grisVIPDined on 9/22/2014THIS RESTAURANT IS AMAZING!!! all we ordered was so so so good!!! definitely a MUST GO PLACE! we recommend the beet salad and snails for appetizers...Entree, the pork belly was to die for! and desert, goat cheese cheesecake! service was outstanding! great experience!Special Features:
- Delicious French Food!foodie4funDined on 9/22/2014Went here in a group of 3 for RW, the food was pretty good. The service was ok. We did discover that they have a happy hour worth checking out at another time! The gnocchi and pork belly were divine, as well!Special Features: