The Smoking Goat Restaurant
3408 30th St
San Diego, CA 92104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smoking Goat Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thesmokinggoatrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6199555295x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, French
- Executive Chef: Fred Piehl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Takeout, Wine
A word from The Smoking Goat Restaurant
The Smoking Goat serves up French & American countryside fare using highest quality meat, and local produce. Our service is casual. We carry a carefully chosen beer and wine list at a range of price points. The small space offers a most unique and enjoyable experience to our guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Smoking Goat Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North Park ›
The Smoking Goat Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (71)special occasion (37)notable wine list (34)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (16)hot spot (16)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious but still won't come backdocdoorDined on 8/16/2014The food was fantastic. The flavors of the dishes and presentation of the food were wonderful but the service ruined the experience. The waiter didn't get our entire order so we got our entrees before we got our appetizer. The food took almost 40 minutes to come out and the waiter didn't come back to see if we needed refills on our cocktails during the wait. The only time he was quick was when it was time to give the bill to us. In addition there was food and a dirty straw on the seats and the restaurant did not have good A/C airflow (basically sweating during dinner). The waiter did not comp our appetizer or try to rectify the partially missing food order. Won't come back and probably wouldn't recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Never a bad mealhonestreviewDined on 8/9/2014I don't commonly write reviews, however, this is more of an extended review for my many visits to The Smoking Goat. Maybe I can start off by saying I am a foodie. Or I can skip the pretentious know-it-all jargon that proves I watch a lot of Food Network. I've got it! Let me name drop all the fantastic restaurants I've been to..... I have eaten at Smoking Goat several times over the years, even before they expanded. The one thing you can expect from The Smoking Goat, is a constantly changing menu. I have never had a disappointing meal. Each time I have found my meal highly enjoyable. Its 30th Street so I expect a little bit of noise with my meal. The size of the slow cooked pork belly was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven-Mix of very good and badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014The appetisers were generally good-especially the duck pate which was excellent. However, the mussels special was subpar-the mussels were like rubber. The banana dessert was excellent. The main courses (pork chop and chicken) were suprisingly poor. The pork chop was dry. The mashed potatoes were bland and the vegetables were overcooked. We had an excellent bottle of wine and the 1/2 off on the bottle (Wednesday special) is a great deal.
- Great Happy HourCamilleDined on 8/6/2014Walked in expecting to have an amazing dinner, and ending up having a great sampling of all their happy hour food for only $6/plate! And a bunch of drinks (wine/beer) for under $5/drink. What a great surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un-prententious Foodie FindFoodieforthoughtDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent, especially the Rib Eye and Truffled Fries entrée. Menu is limited but you have an entrée for most every protein (beef, pork, fish, chicken) and all are done to a very high level of flavor and taste. I will take a few amazing menu options over a lot of so-so options any day! Ambience is cozy and low key. Service was excellent with a wait staff that was accommodating without being oppressive. As a "Foodie" it was pleasant to find such a high level of culinary expertise in a location and environment that was unpretentious. It was an enjoyable experience that I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014We had a really knowledgeable server. Food was real good. I got the pork chop which I highly recommend..Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant!!!CydneyDined on 7/27/2014The food is fantastic!! The pork chop was outstanding!!! Everything is made with the freshest ingredients and the staff is always nice and helpful too. Thanks for an enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingkneeceeDined on 7/26/2014I was looking forward to dinner here as I had read reviews and received positive recommendation from acquaintance whose opinion I trust. Service was fair trending to poor. Food was served cold, corrected quickly and appetizer and drink were comped. However, food was not to expectation. Noise level was so loud, conversation was nearly impossible. No likely to return.Special Features:
- never disappointshardtopleaseDined on 7/23/2014Smoking Goat has great food and a and a very good wine list and wine by the glass. When I feel like treating myself and husband to an exceptional night I choose the Smoking Goat. If someone is visiting and I want to make a good impression I choose the Smoking Goat. Besides a great food and wine experience the service and ambience makes for a totally satisfying experience.Special Features:
- Perfect!DineOutSDVIPDined on 7/23/2014The baked Brie, sauce on the ribeye, and goat cheese cheesecake were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinersSDVisitorDined on 7/19/2014Food was good but the service was almost non existant. We ordered appetizers immediately upon being seated and, even after inquirying about their status, didn't receive them for 50 minutes. The waiter blamed it on the crabcake taking a long time. It would have been more acceptable to us if he just admitted our order was overlooked. The pepper appetizer was incorrectly described as "peppers from Spain and not spicy". But, beware, while not off the charts hot, they definitely have some spice.
- A must visit!DeaconDined on 7/19/2014The Smoking Goat is the real deal. Great menu with quality food. Lovely layout and but could use more outdoor seating arrangements. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was great everything was very tasty and the service was amazing and very attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice managerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We went to smoking goat with another couple for dinner. They had the ceviche to start which I was told was good. The waiter recommended it. For dinner I had the summer salad. Our friends had beat soup and split a burger. Everything was good. Throughout the meal the restaurant manager came by to check on us and chitchat. He was very nice and engaging. He made us feel genuinely welcome and was concerned that we had a nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experiencescooterDined on 7/18/2014Duck fat fries were awesome! Although the halibut was very good, the waiter said it was poached, but it came with a fried crust around it which also dried it out a bit. Not my idea of poached. Nice atmosphere and the wait staff is very attentive. I did mention in my open table reservation that it was our anniversary but no one said anything to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood eateryweeklydinerVIPDined on 7/13/2014Well prepared and tasty food in a casual atmosphere, moderate pricing. Enjoyed it. The only reason I don't do 4 stars is I like good wine, and this is a beer drinkers neighborhood. One Chardonnay by the glass, un-oaked and acid, too fruity Sencerre...they need some better stuff, or at least some of the usual standbys (recommend La Crema chard) . One drinkable Bordeaux (cru bourgeois) by the glass thank goodness!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duckfat Truffle Fries <3anonymousDined on 7/9/2014Duckfat Truffle Fries were amaaaazing. I wish they had more options on the menu, but the pork chop and chicken were both good as well. Love the ambiance and they have a huge wine selection, which is pretty great. Wednesdays, they have 50% off bottles!! It was a little on the expensive side, but well worth it for the food!Special Features:
- Delicious!!KimitikDined on 7/6/2014The most thoughtfully, carefully prepared food in the neighborhood! A gem of a restaurant with great ambience and excellent yet relaxed service. I had the Bavette Steak last night. It was mouth wateringly delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great daily menuSanchezDined on 7/2/2014the atmosphere of the Smoking Goat matched the food - Great! You won't be let down at this hot little eatery. We had 2 apps, the Scallops were cooked to perfection& the Crabcakes were ehh - tasted more like tuna filler than anything else just not what I expected from this place , but still tasty. Entree's - She had the Pork chop cooked to perfection, very moist inside. I had the Rib-Eye with truffle fries and small greens. The steak was cooked to perfection. Beer & wine menu was exceptional. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoelVIPDined on 6/27/2014Good food, but too noisy. The noise level was beyond being comfortable. Waiter was sarcastic almost rude.
- Perfect first dateMGR1Dined on 6/26/2014Smoking Goat was the perfect recommendation from a good friend of mine. No wonder it's his favorite restaurant. The staff was just perfect. Their food is prepared flawlessly, and their wine recommendation was spot on. I will be back again very soon. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014Great (1st) visit to Smoking Goat - we're glad we finally tried it after hearing the buzz for years. Great servers (Guillermo is terrific), delicious flavors. Enjoyed: heirloom tomato/burrata/arugula salad (delicious grilled bread made for great croutons), tomato risotto (so delicious), Lillet blanc with blood orange as aperitif, roast chicken. Not a stuffy vibe, but a wonderful place with great food and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need to step it back upZillionaireDined on 6/20/2014Was great place now average at best - not firing on all cylindersSpecial Features:
- Everything was greatNoneDined on 6/18/2014Food was delicious, service was fantastic, the griddled banana bread was spectacular!Special Features:
- A great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/14/2014First time at this restaurant. Glad we went! DO NOT MISS THE DUCK FAT FRIES!! Fish of the day was white sea bass. Chef prepared this dish to let the fish shine, other components on the plate accompanied the fish nicely. Great wine by the glass list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great North Park eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Second visit to Smoking Goat was a great success. My husband and I get to go out about never so the experience has to be good. We had early reservations (6:45) got there at 6:30 and were seated right away. Service was prompt and friendly. We ordered several small plates and split a burger. All were super tasty. The only one I wouldn't order again was the short rib angliotti but the scallop, pork belly and burger were delish. The fries were outstanding. I couldn't drink (pregnant) but their wine list looks pretty nice. Beer list ok, could be better. Restaurant is really cute inside and pleasant for a date night conversation. A bit pricey, but since we go out never, why not splurge? We will certainly return I'm sure.Special Features:
- Great!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2014Second time there and food was even better. Try the burger, risotto, burratta, scallop, and crab cakes. Service was great and very professional. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- High-end food, underwhelming settinchuckDined on 6/13/2014The food was very good and well presented, with prices to match the high end taste. The setting was a dive bar, with exposed conduits, dim lights, and kitschy stuffed goats. The feeling was less than casual. The wait staff was attentive, but not the outgoing type. I thought with the high ceilings that ambient noise was going to be an issue especially with our table in the open, but the echoes and reverberations were moderate. Overall experience was good.Special Features:
- best food in North ParkKevinDined on 6/10/2014Having been multiple times to the Smoking Goat and to the other top places in North Park over the years, I believe the Goat has the best food of them all and there is some other very good food places in the area. The quality and presentation is consistently terrific at the Goat and it is also a very comfortable place to dine. A nice wine list as well as decent selection of bottle and draft beers. Don't believe they have cocktails if that is important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTheaterGoerDined on 6/8/2014We have eaten at the Smoking Goat twice before and been very satisfied. This time the menu was so limited I ordered appetizers instead of an entree. The beet soup was good but the rest was ordinary. My husband's steak was chewy and very thin. We will not be going back anytime soon.
- Fantastic ScallopsEatAlittleDined on 6/6/2014Had a fantastic scallop appetizer. Wonderfully browned on the outside, great blend of flavors with mushrooms and puree. Staff is friendly but there always seems to be a bit of lack of interest from management in their customers experience. We live in the neighborhood but only go in once a year. Never really figured out who is running the show there. Staff could use a little coaching on how to describe the food items considering you are asking for top dollar on entrees. Some great dessert and location is great.Special Features:
- Diner's DelightGoatdinnerDined on 6/5/2014We have enjoyed the unique offerings at the "goat" on several occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected surprise...alteredegoVIPDined on 6/5/2014Dined at this restaurant before attending a concert in the North Park area of San Diego, a 15 minute walk from University Avenue. Seated immediately in a nicely appointed venue with some of the most comfortable chairs I have sat in in a restaurant. Wine list simple and superb. I had gazpacho before being served a pork chop as the main entree, and both were well prepared and delicious. My wife had a chicken dish that was also excellent. Americano-style coffee afterward completed an excellent meal. We do not dine in this area often, but when we return, we will make a beeline to this fine establishment--a real gem that deserves more recognition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2014Eclectic and endulgent menu- ordered only small plates and had great understanding of style and tasteSpecial Features:
- Excellent, as always.LindsvhDined on 5/31/2014Smoking Goat has never disappointed. Best steak in San Diego, hands down, and best risotto I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cwilsonDined on 5/30/2014Sat outside...food was very good - very good. The 4 star rating is for my gf's steak being a bit overcooked (more medium than med-rare), but it still had great flavor. I had halibut and it was perfectly cooked and flavored.Special Features:
- Love the food here!Food4ThoughtDined on 5/21/2014Love the French inspired food with an American twist. My favorite is the duck fat fries! You can't stop eating them! Recommended if you like French food with with a twist.Special Features:
- Great service and foodJSDOWNEYDined on 5/16/2014Duck Fried French Fries a must! Great salads, fishs and duck. Cozy and local, nice place to enjoy tasty food with friends.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/16/2014I found this restaurant by accident on a local restaurant list. Decided to try it one Friday evening and was so glad that we did. The menu is small but everything is prepared with attention and care. The tartiflette was incredible. I was amazed at the intense aroma that came from it as it was brought to the table. The duck liver pate was equally good. The bread is fantastic. I had the halibut which was an enormous portion and paired wonderfully with a sweet and smoky red pepper sauce. The scallops are very large and perfectly prepared and served atop a most wonderful and unusual green apple risotto. This will become a regular spot for usSpecial Features:
- Get the rib eye steak!meatVIPDined on 5/11/2014Get the rib eye steak, very juicy, grilled to perfection with a light crunch on the outside. Comes with duck fat fries which is also yummySpecial Features: