The Smoke Ring
309 Nelson Street
Atlanta, GA 30313Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
The Smoke Ring
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.smokeringatlanta.com/
- Phone: 4042286377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm (kitchen closes at 10)
Friday: 11:30am - 1:00am (kitchen closes at 11)
Saturday: 11:00am - 1:00am (kitchen closes at 11)
Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am (kitchen closes at 11)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jordan Wakefield
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday nights.
A word from The Smoke Ring
This Bar-B-Que haven is the brainchild of Chef Jordan Wakefield. Jordan and wife Erin Wakefield opened the doors in October 2014. This "Gastroque" concept is very chef driven, with a focus on the meat itself, as well as an infusion of unique southern cuisine. However unlike most Bar-B-Que restaurants, the sides are not an afterthought. The creamy mac-n-cheese is topped with bread crumbs and baked to order. Our crispy brussel sprouts are flash fried, then drizzled with sweet maple syrup. Just as Jordan put his touch on all of these classic items, his wife Erin created an award winning cocktail list that pairs perfectly with the delectable food. The Restaurant is located at 309 Nelson Street, in the eclectic Castleberry Hill neighborhood. We are just a short walk from many downtown attractions, such as CNN Center, Phillips Arena, Centennial Olympic Park, and The Georgia Dome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Smoke Ring reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- great findmztraviaDined on 10/18/2014Nice cozy BBQ spot! The food was great! The service was wonderful. The pricing was great as well. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014We went to the smoke ring this past weekend before the bears/falcons game. It was close to the stadium, and it was very crowded. We did get seated fairly quickly, but the service was so slow. We had to wait forever for our food to come out, and when it did, it was cold. the food was good, but I really would have liked it warm. There was no friendliness from the staff. We were told that our food was being checked on three times, but there was no follow up. I asked for ketchup for my fries and never got it, I had to go to another table and ask for theirs. It is a very cute place, but try it when they are not crowded at all. Even though they had a crowd, I feel as though they could have handled it better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful BBQ and great bourbon!LeinieloverVIPDined on 9/28/2014Flew in on a Sunday evening and headed out for a bit of BBQ. Great looking place, not too busy on a Sunday evening, but the food was really good, the libations cold and great selections... but the bar staff outshined it all. Thanks Taylor. LLSpecial Features:
- Great Place after football gamePapaBDined on 8/30/2014Reserved a table to eat dinner while MARTA cleared out from the football game. Fast seating in a busy environment. Great server. Took a few minutes to get the food with all of the crowd, but it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth your while!FoodluverDined on 8/15/2014I was expecting an authentic bbq spot, but ended up with food that left a lot to be desired! The mac and cheese was dry, the collards tasted of vinegar and the bbq was a bit dry as well. The best thing I tasted was the corn on the cob.Special Features:
- WestsideFoodieDined on 7/27/2014Although I've had great meals here before, the Sunday brunch was not as good as usual. Even though the wings were awesome, the breakfast burrito had many over charred pork pieces. Although there was a large party present, the music level did not help matters when trying to talk to fellow diners - very loud.Special Features:
- good neighborhood QueNYtransplantVIPDined on 7/4/2014I'm not from Atlanta so I don't know all the ins and outs of the BBQ scene. I've heard Community BBQ is an old favorite and that locals pooh pooh the Brothers BBQ place. Smoke ring is near where I was staying near the Georgia dome so it fit the bill. The BBQ is probably not award winning but it is solid. I liked the Alabama white sauce, which I never had before and which was a nice complement to their pulled pork. Overall I would say their brisket and pulled pork was better than their baby backs which seemed to have a thick coating of dry rub which was a bit too salty for my taste but overall solid when you have a hankering for Que!Special Features:
- Out of the way, not quite worth itConferenceExibitorDined on 6/30/2014I found the place while in Atlanta for a conference. It was a mile walk from our Hamton Inn hotel through seemingly deloate and abandoned streets. The food was OK but definitely a little over-priced. The beer selection was nice and the portions were a little small. I would not recommend this to others who stayed in town.Special Features:
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014Found this place scrolling through open table and glad I went. Food was good, at a great price. Had 2 small kids along and they were happy especially with the ice cream! Service was also good, attentive without smothering. In an up and coming neighborhood. Taxi drivers don't quite know how to find it but with a little help from a smart phone map you can guide them.Special Features:
- Dynamite food and killer drinksOregonEaterDined on 6/28/2014The food at The Smoke Ring is second to none. The fried green tomatoes topped with chow-chow are an excellent appetizer. Their burgers are amazing, and the best side to get is the fried brussels sprouts drizzled with maple syrup. Simply an amazing dish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before Concert @ PhillipsEricVIPDined on 6/28/2014The sides were the best part of the dinner, the meats were good, but nothing to rave about or drive out of my way for. The portions were also very small for the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best smoked BBQ!4HonestusVIPDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant is my new favorite in ATL. Close to Turner field and not in the best neighborhood, but it's directly across from the fire station, so i wasn't really concerned. The food is some of the best BBQ i have had anywhere. They smoke and dry rub the meat, you add sauce if you want. Good beer and whiskey list made it even better. Enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 3 reviews are from the The Smoke Ring reviews archive.
- Great RibsMayankDined on 5/25/2014As the name implies, this is the place you want to go for smoked ribs, brisket etc.. The half rack of ribs was great and that along with the 2 included sides was enough for a great dinner. The server was very pleasant and attentive and took time to explain the sauces available and even suggested some combinations that other diners thaought were out of this world. Would definately go back again.Special Features:
- OMG! HorribleHungryinthecityDined on 5/23/2014The food was not seasoned - the baked beans were crunchy as if they had been saved from the day before. The chicken needed salt and more. I was greatly disappointed with my dining experience, which was made worse by the poor service I received.Special Features:
- Holy MolyFoodLover11VIPDined on 5/9/2014Food was amazing! Found this gem our first night in ATL and could not have been happier. Fried okra, deviled eggs, brisket, pulled pork platters, mac and cheese, brusselsprouts - all amazing!! We all shared and we're so glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.