The Smith - Midtown
956 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126442700x
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 7:30 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 9:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 9:30 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for all catering inquiries.
- Special Events: Please inquire for further details
- Cross Street: 51st Street
- Public Transit: The closest subway stops are the 4 & 6 train at 51st and Lexington Avenue or the E & M train at 53rd & Lexington Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a parking garage located at 251 East 51st Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue.
A word from The Smith - Midtown
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. Diners at The Smith Midtown can also choose from our hand-picked wine list and full raw seafood bar. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Smith - Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
The Smith - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
457 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (210)great for brunch (198)hot spot (182)neighborhood gem (149)great for lunch (147)fit for foodies (144)vibrant bar scene (133)kid-friendly (48)late-night find (46)special occasion (40)great for outdoor dining (26)romantic (15)notable wine list (11)scenic view (8)Show More
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014The location is beautiful. I've been a fan of The Smith for years now and they have kept up with their standards here. Food was yummy and on point. The my cappuccino was perfect-which isn't always the case in the city. The staff from the door to management was friendly and helpful. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale BarOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Had a great time getting a drink and a bite at The Smith with a buddy. We ate at the bar where they had a great drink menu that would satisfy any beer drinker or a lover of spirits. I had the fleet mignon which was on par with any steak house and and my buddy had the burger which was cooked to perfection. Young hip crowd filed with professionals. Vibrant scene that was delightfully noisy and alive. Loved it. .. will be back with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itmtnycDined on 10/21/2014Went here on a Tuesday evening with friends. We got there and were seated promptly, always a plus. I was stunned by how quickly each and every table filled up within a half hour or so, especially on a Tuesday night. The food was excellent. We opted for the Burratta starter, because how could you not order Buratta when it is on the menu? It was amazing! Lucky for me I went on a Tuesday & was able to order the Short Ribs. The meat was just right and the risotto it was served over was great. I was worried it was going to be a bit too heavy, but it was perfect. If you are at The Smith on a Tuesday, it is a must-have. We also got the portobello fries as a side, YUM-MY! Overrall a great experience, I'd definitely go back, this time for Brunch!Special Features:
- Great placeEastSiderDined on 10/18/2014This is a great place to get brunch, lunch or dinner with a friend - any day of the week. It's trendy, delicious and comfortable.Special Features:
- renieDined on 10/18/2014I love The Smith. The swordfish, steak and pretzels are wonderful!Special Features:
- Brunch!lumanatrixDined on 10/18/2014A great place to meet friends, and take out-of-townees to discover the joys of a typical NYC brunch culture. Brunch was great. The speed at which it was served was timely for a long relaxing and fun conversation. The restaurant fills up fast, so a reservation to guarantee a spot might be a good idea if you have a time limit.Special Features:
- Great Food and ViberobertoDined on 10/17/2014I've been here several times and the food is always delicious, the vibe is very energetic and trendy. This is a great spot for brunch or lunch/dinner with friends. It is very loud, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown GemWestVillagerDined on 10/15/2014Love this place. I can always count on consistently good food and a great time. Service is a bit slow sometimes, but given the vibrant environment and the cool crowd, the wait is tolerable. Unique cocktail list; wine list is short but covers all the bases. I always say this place is the perfect mix between a casual neighborhood bar and your favorite trendy/fancy Manhattan restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Avoid the BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/15/2014I've been to The Smith a few times and the food has always been outstanding, however this time around I ordered the burger and wow what a disappointment. Small, flavorless and down right way overpriced at $17 for what you actually get. Great place otherwise though...lively and great for a group of friendsSpecial Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Really great restaurant when meeting friends around Grand Central. The food is absolutely delicious and we loved our waitress. All parties must be present to be seated - which I do wish they'd say in advance, especially since Grand Central is close by, they should be more lenient when your party is waiting on a guest arrival dependent upon the trains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's my goto spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/12/2014When visiting Manhattan, I always stop by The Smith for something to eat. It never fails me.Special Features:
- Never a Bad ExperienceRG314Dined on 10/12/2014I am never disappointed by my experiences at The Smith. Although it was my first trip to this particular location, I still experienced what I have come to expect from The Smith - great food, great service, great times. I was there for brunch and for the biscuits and gravy. Portion size wasn't too filling but very delicious! Each of my friends also got great food - from the pancakes with the amazing syrup to the Salmon Eggs Benedict. Cocktails were also great - try the passion punch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchSwissyDined on 10/12/2014The reservation has worked smoothly and we got our table at the desired time the food was excellent, the staff very friendly, we had a very good timeSpecial Features:
- Great food but too noisyLesADined on 10/11/2014Menu had something for everyone and each dish was very well cooked and presented. Service was a little rushed. Tables were crammed together which, combined with the terrible acoustics, ment that we could barely hold any conversation.Special Features:
- Solid for Group BreakfastRWhiteDenDined on 10/11/2014We made reservations for a group of 8 and were well accommodated. The Smith is a solid and dependable choice, though not for a romantic or quiet breakfast. It is bustling with business and there was a small line on the two mornings that we ate here. The food was well cooked and creative in menu selection though not exactly what I would say a "foodie" choice. Still, I highly recommend The Smith for your consideration and it easily beat two other breakfast choices we made during our stay in the mid-town area.Special Features:
- Go for food & bev, accept the noiseGlossGalDined on 10/10/2014You already know that the food (i.e., lobster roll, cheddar jalapeno grits) & drinks (i.e., killer wine list, Manhattan, Bette Davis) are killer. And here's how you know that your night at The Smith on 2nd Ave is made more perfect: taking care of your table is Gaby or Michael. The icing on this excellent cake is Roberto behind the bar. And these folks just make am already excellent restaurant experience even better. Is it noisy at night? Yes. Does it mess up the experience? No. Be aware of the bustling scene when you walk in and don't think about it following that. You'll be set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunHppyFlwerDined on 10/10/2014The Smith was fun and the food and service were right on. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeafeninghungrybeanVIPDined on 10/8/2014As others reviewers mentioned, this place is incredibly noisy because of all the people and hard surfaces. We liked the food but could barely hear each other without shouting. Found this to be annoying and taxing after just a few minutes. If you want to have a decent conversation you might want to consider a different restaurant.
- Good times!UESeaterDined on 10/7/2014I was in a group on a Tuesday night and it was busy but in a good way. The food came quickly and was great. I loved the drinks! I had montauk oysters and the pressed chicken with mash potatoes- my husb had the chicken soup and lamb chops- def good food! Would def go back hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loudFoodieVIPDined on 10/7/2014Clearly a spot for after work crowd. It is a little loud and hard to hear. Food is decent. Service is ok, but you are definitely rushed. Nice place to go once in a while if you are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Fun BrunchsbauerlDined on 10/5/2014I had a lovely brunch with friends at The Smith. The waitress took a while to come over, but once she took our order, the service was speedy and attentive. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing brunch!SuzyQDined on 10/5/2014We loved our brunch at the Smith! The atmosphere was a bit noisy and bright for us after a late night out, but it is definitely a very cool restaurant. The amazing french toast, home fries and bacon made up for it. We'd love to visit again and sample more of the awesome menu!Special Features:
- Great, slightly overpricedvisitorDined on 10/5/2014Went for sunday brunch. Great flavors, good service, they bring purified and sparkling water which was nice. It reminded us of home, so Portland, OR residents should definitely stop by. Contrary to what the yelp page says, they do welcome children. perfect portion sizes, but a bit overpriced. We also ate at Sarabeths, which was around the same price, but gave large portions. Service there was terrible though. We were completely forgotten about by our waitress and after we finished (our 1 year old included) we sat for a good 15, 20 minutes waiting for her to look our direction to ask for a check. We're honest people, but we were about to dash. End rant. But if i had to rank them, the smith was a much better experience altogether.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, kind of loudaprilluv4VIPDined on 10/3/2014We were a party of 7, and our table was ready when promised. We enjoyed our food, especially the shrimp and grits and beer battered string beans. This place is good for all kinds of eaters, meat, fish or vegetarian options available. I do think it was really loud, with the music, and the people, it took some yelling to make sure we heard each other.Special Features:
- Fantastic brunchkp1234Dined on 10/3/2014We went for brunch at half 7 so it was very quiet but the general atmosphere and decor was friendly and modern. The food was great - lots of choices and served with complimentary cheese biscuits (scones in the UK). The bar area looked great and can really image it is lively and fun in the evenings.Special Features:
- Special Occasion DinnerhungrygirlsDined on 9/28/2014A group of friends and I came to The Smith to celebrate a birthday and was beyond happy with the entire dinning experience. I have been to The Smith before and greatly enjoyed the food. This time was no different. Our waitress was very friendly and accommodating and my whole group of friends said it was the best meal they had in a long time. I ordered the swordfish and look forward to coming back and ordering it again. The brussel sprouts were delightful, we could not get enough of them. The Smith is one of my top favorite restaurants in Manhattan and I always have a good time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeatDined on 9/28/2014Great food great staff. had brunch here and it was great. Altough tis very noisy so dont go here if you are hangover from à saturday day night out. But i strongley recomend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aprillongDined on 9/28/2014Always love The Smith ..... the noise level is terrible .... would go more often, can't stand the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freakin' Awesomesoutherncharm52Dined on 9/28/2014The Smith is a crowd pleaser. We went with 8 guests and all 8 were very pleased. The attention to detail in the offerings on the menu was splendid. No dish was "average" everything was done with special care. Would highly recommend to anyone. We will be back!!Special Features:
- great ambiance, inconsistent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Restaurant accepts reservations for brunch so there was no wait, which is a huge plus and not too common with Sunday brunch spots in the city. The semi-open dining area was great when we were eating. Everything was bright, and we were able to enjoy the moderate weather outside and a nice breeze now and then. I was craving mac and cheese so I ordered theirs as an appetizer for our table. It was DELICIOUS. Piping hot skillet with nice crust and a creamy blend of cheeses that even as a long-time cheese-hater/rejector I LOVED. Big portion too, as we were all pretty much full from that alone (we were a party of 3). I got the special, which was a prime rib eggs Benedict. Okay flavor, but came to me lukewarm; a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, lack-luster servicemummybubbleDined on 9/27/2014My friends and I went to The Smith for brunch on a Saturday morning. The host was very kind and accommodating since two of our friends were running late. Once they arrived, we were seated quickly and given menus. Our waitress took our orders and the food arrived relatively quickly. The food itself was solid - very tasty, well priced, well executed. The only real problem was that our waitress never stopped by our table again for the entire service. In fact, we had to flag down another waitress and ask for the check.Special Features:
- The Smith was awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We visited The Smith over the weekend while vacationing in NYC based on it's good reviews. It did not disappoint either! It was hands down the best restaurant breakfast/brunch I've ever had! The glazed donuts with chocolate dipping sauce were divine! The cheddar biscuits are also a must. We would have loved to had dinner there, but we will just have to do that next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!SweetsDined on 9/26/2014Great food, service & ambiance! Our waitress was efficient & really nice. Added to the whole dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty specialsSJohnDined on 9/23/2014delicious specials - noisy restaurant, difficult to have a long conversation but great food.Special Features:
- Really Good/fun atmosphereDinnerinSBVIPDined on 9/21/2014Although crowded the restaurant went above and beyond to accommodate us. Food was delicious and service was great! I would highly recommend. Give yourself enough time though, very crowded and definitely make a res.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ited11Dined on 9/21/2014I just love coming to The Smith for brunch on weekends. The atmosphere is just great and the food is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch standbyvlnycVIPDined on 9/20/2014bustling, energetic, pretty without being pretentious or overly hip. great brunch/lunch menu.Special Features:
- YackieohVIPDined on 9/20/2014Way too loud...they should work on that and everything else would be so much more enjoyable! Great brunchSpecial Features:
- Wear your ear plugs!CoopDined on 9/19/2014Ate here based on online recommendations. Should have heeded warnings about noise level! It was the loudest restaurant I have ever eaten at to the point where it kind of ruined the whole dining experience which is too bad because the food and service were very good. If you like restaurants that jam you in and you like really loud - and I mean really loud - restaurants then this is a good choice. I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Acoustics Are TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/18/2014While the food was good and ambience, my friend and I had to practically scream at each other throughout our meal. Not a good place if you want to have a nice calm meal and actually hear each other speak. Also, our waiter completely forgot about us halfway through our meal. Next time we saw him he was handing us our check without even asking if we wanted dessert or coffee. I don't plan to return any time soon.Special Features: