The Smith - Midtown
956 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126442700x
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 7:30 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 10 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for all catering inquiries.
- Special Events: Please inquire for further details
- Cross Street: 51st Street
- Public Transit: The closest subway stops are the 4 & 6 train at 51st and Lexington Avenue or the E & M train at 53rd & Lexington Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a parking garage located at 251 East 51st Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue.
A word from The Smith - Midtown
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. Diners at The Smith Midtown can also choose from our hand-picked wine list and full raw seafood bar. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Smith - Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
The Smith - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
455 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (203)great for brunch (199)hot spot (163)neighborhood gem (156)vibrant bar scene (138)great for lunch (137)fit for foodies (129)kid-friendly (49)late-night find (40)special occasion (38)great for outdoor dining (34)notable wine list (15)romantic (13)scenic view (9)Show More
- Noisy spot with good foodbruncherVIPDined on 9/16/2014Don't plan on having a conversation over dinner without shouting across the table, but if you don't mind dining in a very loud environment the food at The Smith is great.
- Smith Midtown for DinnerAndyatLunchDined on 9/16/2014The restaurant decor was very nice however, I was surprised by the woman who greeted me, she seemed very out of place - poorly dressed, green streaks in her hair and a lip piercing. Everyone else who worked there was more professionally attired. Service was very good, appetizers were great. I ordered mussels as my entree and was surprised how little meat was in each mussel, about half the size I have had elsewhere. My friend ordered the strip steak and said it was excellent. One issue with The Smith restaurants is their wine glasses, or non-wine glasses I should say. Wine is served in short rocks style glasses, a major turn off for me. I plan to eat there again and will order something else next time and will not order wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute must try!nycfoodieDined on 9/14/2014I took friends visiting from Europe to the Smith this past Sunday night and it could not have been a more enjoyable evening. I had the pot of mussels (a must try!) and everyone loved their meal. I made a reservation on open table for 6 people and we were seated at one of the fabulous tables at the front of the restaurant with a few of life outside on 2nd ave. I've has brunch and dinner at the smith now and would come here for any occasion! Two huge thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food &service but VERY LOUDFrequentDinerNYCVIPDined on 9/14/2014I love The Smith, especially for brunch. Their steak and eggs breakfast is amazing! Since the chefs' idea of "medium" is a bit on the cooked side, I usually request "medium rare" to get "medium." No big deal. Their brussel sprouts are to die for! They fry them and add orange zest that gives an amazing flavor. IMO the only thing that kills he ambiance is how LOUD the restaurant gets. The acoustics are HORRIBLE, and once the restaurant is full it's almost impossible to have a conversation. I'd prefer an ambiance that is quieter and easier on the ears.Special Features:
- Not as good the second timeChuckVIPDined on 9/14/2014This was my second time to this The Smith location for brunch. The last time, the food was outstanding. This time, it was very average. I got the mushroom omelette that my son got last time, but instead of being light, fluffy and bursting with the flavor of the fresh sauteed mushrooms with zesty cheese, the eggs were flat and dense, the mushrooms had very little flavor, and the cheese was an amorphous goo without much taste. Clearly something changed. The juice was fresh squeezed, the coffee was good, and this time they kept the cup full! My friend had the French toast which was a huge portion, but very, very sweet stuff. The best part of the meal were my potatoes, which were crispy and really, really good.Special Features:
- worth the noiseweeatoutVIPDined on 9/11/2014Very interesting menu. Great Ribeye steak. Portobello fries, deliciousSpecial Features:
- Consistently Great.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/9/2014Consistently great in service, food & overall experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014Service was courteous, prompt, and friendly. The food was very good. The tomato soup with cheddar was great. It's a lively spot along 2nd avenue. The restaurant opens up onto the sidewalk and it is great for people watching.Special Features:
- The SmithLoanickDined on 9/7/2014Great food had the corn bisque and it was awesome, however space reduced and it's a very loud ambiance. Great for groups, will need previously reservation. Service is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!BarbaraDined on 9/6/2014The Smith was a great choice for dinner with a group of friends. It's lively, vibrant, and fun. The starters and bar snacks were fun to share, the cocktail list was a hit (they also were happy to accomodate cocktails not on the menu) and everyone enjoyed their main courses as well. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- BrunchiliciousjcmeatloverVIPDined on 9/6/2014Very good Bloody Mary! Shared the Sicilian baked eggs and Smoked Salmon Benedict, wonderful and delicious! Great vibe and services. Been here for dinner and brunch didn't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchDanSDined on 9/6/2014Great place for brunch. Recommend a reservation because it does get very busy. We needed to be in and out quick because my friends were seeing a show. Not only did our waitress make this happen, but she was fantastic, friendly and helpful while she did it!Special Features:
- Great lunch--but not for doing biz!GretaDined on 9/5/2014While the reviews clearly pointed toward a loud atmosphere, there was a suggestion that were quieter pockets in the restaurant, so when I arrived I asked for us to be seated in a quieter section. I think that the hostess tried to accommodate us but unfortunately, a table full of 20-something guys was seated next to us... and it was clear they weren't going back to work. By the end, it was so loud that we were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder yelling to each other. The food was great, and we both agreed that we'd be happy to go back, but never again when business is involved.Special Features:
- Loud and rushedLoudDined on 9/4/2014Was our second time back. Noise level was deafening. Went for lunch with kids. Service was terrible and we felt rushed. Wait staff walked by without stopping several times, had to be grabbed to get any attention. If you have a kids menu, give the kids some paper and crayons. Had the raw bar, was good but Iwon't be returning here. Not a relaxing enjoyable experience. Stressed me out.Special Features:
- Delicious and Unique FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014The menu has so many different options of food, American with a twist. The steak salad is unbelievable and a huge portion. They have funky drinks as well with a full bar. It was pretty loud inside, but once sitting at your own table it's fine.Special Features:
- Great FoodsgermanmdDined on 9/1/2014Great Food, great service. Party of six for breakfast. 2"thick french toast. Fluffy waffles, great coffee.Special Features:
- Yummyboop716VIPDined on 8/31/2014the food was amazing, very busy even with a reservation we waited briefly. my only complaint is bad acoustics, the noise level was uncomfortable for chatting, we were a table of 5 and could barely hear each other.Special Features:
- perfect brunch spotkix315Dined on 8/31/2014Food amazing. ..unique choices. ..also has good cocktails...cool atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Patience is key when going to The Smith for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUCCESSLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have enjoyed dinner here before but never with this particular group of friends who can be difficult at times. Well, thank you to THE SMITH for not disappointing! Everyone loved the food and we were at the best table so we could actually hear ourselves talk. I told our server to pick from three choices for me and surprise me...the Swordfish was the best I've ever had. My friends loved the blistered peppers, portabello fries and string beans. thanks for great dinner.Special Features:
- Terrific food & drinks. Full stop.GlossGalDined on 8/30/2014Whether Roberto is at the bar mixing the best Manhattan I've had in my life or Gaby is waiting tables and assuring that your experience at The Smith is sublime, the food carries you to a place somewhat unexpected in a restaurant with three locations in Manhattan. And The Smith on 2nd Avenue is terrific. Do. Not. Miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Jones for The SmithOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014I'm addicted. The Smith is a dangerous place for those of us with addictive personallities . Go for the GNOCCHI before they change the menu. Go twice. Be prepared for reaching forks from all directions. The gnocchi should be on "The Best Thing I ever Ate". Everything else on menu that we tried was fantastic, the chicken, the fish, oh, and of course , the mac 'n cheese. The drinks are really good as well. The service was terrific every time we went. The Smith has become one of our favorite places to meet and have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two huge thumbs up!!nycfoodieDined on 8/28/2014The smith is the perfect spot for any occasion. I've been for brunch--great with or without alcohol--and it's my go to spot to get drinks for a casual date. It's always lovely, young and packed and is a guaranteed good time. Couldn't recommend it more highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOmarLisandroDined on 8/27/2014The Smith is always a good place not only for the variety in the menu but also for the outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect brunch locationGlobetrotterDined on 8/25/2014We visited The Smith twice while we were in NY in August. The location is good is your midtown - we stayed at the Grand Hyatt on 42nd and could walk to the restaurant in around 10 minutes. The team there are great from a service perspective - friendly and attentive. The decor of the restaurant is light and contemporary, with lots of different seating for different groups. And the food was excellent... We took in brunch on both occasions and both the adults and children (we have 4 of various ages) enjoyed the food that was served. All round an excellent restaurant and one that we'd highly recommend.Special Features:
- Interesting menu,extremely loudFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We had Sunday brunch here, and the menu items were interesting. They do provide a free drink with the meal. If before, noon, they have to be "virgin" drinks. Portions are ample. The Potato Waffle Benedict with blended spinach was good ($16), and very filling. The Ranchero eggs ($16) were also good. The Carrot Cake Donuts ($9) were great! How anyone can really enjoy the noise, is hard to believe, and very hard to have any kind of meaningful discussion. The walls are covered in tile, and the floor also, so there is noise absorbing material. The area by the bar with outside doors is about the quietest area. Can't say we would rush back, as there are so many wonderful restaurants around. That being said, though, worth a visit.
- Frustrated with serviceDissapointedVIPDined on 8/24/2014My friends and I picked out one of the great omelets that The Smith has to offer. At first we were excited to see that the price included a drink or a glass of juice. We learned that the restaurant couldn't serve alcohol before noon which was fine, so we asked what else we could get. The waitress pointed out their homemade sodas so we each tried one of those. Much to our surprise when the bill came, the soda was an additional $6 charge (on top of the $16). We explained our surprise and she was unapologetic. We felt misled and ripped off. We were very disappointed in how she handled and would not return to this restaurant as a result.Special Features:
- Loud and unpleasant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Avoid this restaurant unless you want to be squeezed in at a tight table and unable to hear your dining companion even when shouting. The waitress brought the wrong dish but we were so anxious to get out of there that we didn't say anything. Very disappointed.
- Great midtown lunch spotGregoireVIPDined on 8/21/2014Better than a lot of the other restaurants in the Middle East for low key lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.GoodeatsDined on 8/20/2014Had a nice night out with family. Great food and service!Special Features:
- Great but too noisylisaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful if you don't want to have a conversation. Best for two people but hard to hear for any bigger table. Good food and fun vibe.
- Super loudCATDVIPDined on 8/19/2014Nice food, terrific service, fair prices Had trouble having a conversation as it was so loud Based on that, I will not be returningSpecial Features:
- Good food too loudTable44Dined on 8/19/2014Second time going to The Smith and the food does not disappoint. The first time we sat in the back (7 ppl) it was way too loud but we thought maybe it was the table location. This time we sat in the front next to the open doors. Thank goodness we had the outside, it actually made it quieter... If you're going for the bar scene then great. If you want to have dinner with friends and hear them you may be out of luck.Special Features:
- The Smith dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The service was great however the food was just average and expensive. My wife had a chicken with brie salad. There was very little chicken and literally one small slice of brie. I had seared tuna salad tuna was blackened and very hot pepper flavor. My son had a hamburger which he said was ok...
- Bright spot along 2nd AveGlossGalDined on 8/18/2014There's a great deal of care that goes into every single dish served at The Smith. The food is stellar and the service (particularly if Gaby is on the floor) matches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good - service not so muchlovetodineDined on 8/17/2014They made a few mistakes on the appetizer orders but were reasonably pleasant about it. We then waited approximately 45 minutes between our appetizers and main meals. They apologized but we said it was fine. The food was good so we were happy to over look it. Unfortunately, they started to get busy and pressured us after 10 minutes to see if we were done with our meals when clearly we had more than 50% of our food on our plate. The same person came by 3 times in short order. Finally, we said we are done - give us the check. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Best Brunch EverFoodandWine123VIPDined on 8/17/2014Whenever I visit NYC my friends and I try to make it to The Smith for brunch. The food is incredible. I had the pancakes with ricotta and caramel sauce and the candy bacon - delicious! Great coffee as well and if you want something with a little kick they have fantastic cocktails. An Old Fashioned goes great with the bacon. Our server was fantastic - she took great care of us. Will definitely go back next visit to New York.Special Features:
- Noise trumped food enjoymentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014This was our 2nd brunch, much later than previous experience and at 11:30 the noise level made any conversation rather public for the way we needed to almost shout across the 2 top table less than a arms length from the other tables talking just as loud. The tile amplifies the noise. Food respectably safe. Baked eggs overcooked, but flavors right on delicious. Pricey benedict was solid, but unremarkable, almost flat flavors. Waitstaff attentive and obviously on their toes with the crowded room. Will simply try another place in a big city or go early to avoid such commotion.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Visiting daughter in NYC. Best recommendation a 20 year old every gave me.Special Features:
- Great food but noisyHighstandardsDined on 8/16/2014The food And service were excellent but it was so noisy it was difficult to carry on a conversation. Too much tile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.