The Smith - Midtown
956 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 644-2700
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 7:30 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 9:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 9:30 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for all catering inquiries.
- Special Events: Please inquire for further details
- Cross Street: 51st Street
- Public Transit: The closest subway stops are the 4 & 6 train at 51st and Lexington Avenue or the E & M train at 53rd & Lexington Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a parking garage located at 251 East 51st Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue.
A word from The Smith - Midtown
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. Diners at The Smith Midtown can also choose from our hand-picked wine list and full raw seafood bar. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Smith - Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
The Smith - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
470 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (227)great for brunch (204)hot spot (182)fit for foodies (163)neighborhood gem (149)great for lunch (137)vibrant bar scene (134)kid-friendly (46)special occasion (37)late-night find (37)great for outdoor dining (26)romantic (17)notable wine list (8)scenic view (5)Show More
- BusyED2EATDined on 11/16/2014I would recommend a reservation here. They are very busy all the time. It's a loud and fun atmosphere. If you can compete with the noise level you will enjoy yourselves and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantExcellentVIPDined on 11/15/2014The Smith is my go-to restaurant to go with friends. Food and service are consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationRunningShushDined on 11/15/2014I read many positive reviews about The Smith and decided to go for my birthday. The food and service were great and we enjoyed the whole experience a lot. The desert was sent to us as a gift and it was so delicious! I hope to return on my next NY trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Velee3Dined on 11/15/2014Nice meal before Chamber Magic Show at the Waldorf-Astoria. Started with the spicy salmon tartar, followed by the trout schnitzel and juicy pork chop and 2 espressos. Good meal in a buzzing, casual setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, huge portions!brunchbuddyDined on 11/15/2014The food was amazing for brunch. I made a reservation but still had to wait on our table for about 15 minutes, however the wait without reservation was 1.5 hours. The waiting crowd at the door was pretty hectic but the serving staff once seated was great! Food came out quickly, was totally delicious and we weren't ushered to leave our table which was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StephDined on 11/15/2014We met some friends for an early Brunch (10am) on Sat. We'd made reservations, which was a good idea since it was packed by 11am. The food and service were very good. I found the portion sizes were a little big, so was unable to finish my meal. We'll definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy for a ReasonTXDogLoverVIPDined on 11/14/2014The restaurant was very busy but thank goodness we made reservations through Open Table. They provided a booth in a corner that was a little more quite than some of the open areas. The cocktails were seasonally appropriate, creative and great tasking. The food was definitely above average in quality and taste. Our party order a variety of entrees, shrimp & grits, brick pressed chicken and salmon. All three dishes were creative and tasty. The wait staff was very attentive and provided the perfect amount of service - allowing us to take our time to review the menu and checking on us frequently but not too frequently. We would recommend The Smith as a dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended menus itemsDYLANDined on 11/14/2014Porkchops, salmon, mac n cheese are all fantasic and highly recommededSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingkokoVIPDined on 11/11/2014They take reservations, everything on the menu is delicious and the service is great. Can't complainSpecial Features:
- CiyweekendDined on 11/9/2014Reservation was honored within a reasonable time . Hosts made eye contact and smiled even though their stand was mobbed . Food was excellent . Servers were busy but attentive . We were not rushed .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Great place for breakfast. Had the Ranchero Scramble and it was amazing! Loved the fact that unlimited soda water was complimentary for each table.Special Features:
- Fantastic Dinner!Kym417Dined on 11/8/2014Dinner at The Smith was fabulous...everything was uniquely perfect...from the Portobello fries, roasted tomato soup, Porterhouse for two, to the Pumpkin bread pudding! We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Need to impress a colleague or client, but don't want to destroy the expense account with Lavo and the like? The Smith is the answer. Solid food, libations are plentiful and service is prompt*. You're welcome. *usually. Push your 2 o'clock 30 minutes, to be safe.Special Features:
- Good for crowdsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014group lunches, good drinks, good service, modern space, and modern American vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAY TOO LOUD!! I was screaming to my friendAviEatsOutVIPDined on 11/7/2014We eat at 11:30 to beat the crowds. -- We left as soon and we could push the food down and get the heck out of there. Absolutely so loud that we screamed the entire time and I said my throat was killing me. We talked outside. Sad. Service great - but he rest failed big time.
- FoodyDined on 11/6/2014Always fun.good menu .great crowd.never disappoints. We have been here numerous times. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- best kale and quinoa salad.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/6/2014The Smith always good. We sat in back room which was much more pleasant than front room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here, will be backhungryturtleDined on 11/6/2014I had heard that this was a fun place with very good food and drinks. We were not disappointed. They had a small menu but it presented a wide variety of selections. The prime rib and bar steak were cooked perfectly and well seasoned. Very tasty. The desserts were a real treat (no pun intended) too. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good noise - good nightMikeGDined on 11/5/2014Great work dinner experience at the mid-town Smith. It's noisy in a good, buzzy way and the menu was intersting and tasty. Wine list seemed a little pricey, but the house carafe options are reasonable and good. Definitely go back.Special Features:
- Loud but funMTKUKDined on 11/5/2014Go there for lunch - it's great if not v loud. Excellent food but the service takes a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisy and crowdedBruncherDined on 11/4/2014It's a good restaurant, great energy, nice atmosphere and good food. The only complaints I have are two: that tables are set very closely so there is a lack of space to move around or to have a private moment. Also the tile walls aren't good for the acoustics - the place is often crowded, and therefore it gets both a little cramped and loud. Despite this, I like it! Have been there twice and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very impressedJillb04VIPDined on 11/2/2014The atmosphere was fun and energetic, staff was very nice and accommodating, and mostly the food was delicious! Great menu, great location! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, lots of cheer!DebbieDined on 11/2/2014The restaurant was crowded but handled the business very well. The staff was friendly and courteous. Food was very good for brunch with lots of options. I had The Croaker with ham, eggs, cheese and sourdough bread. It was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DatebeelewwDined on 11/1/2014It was a wonderful place for special date night with my boyfriend. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Good timesShusha75VIPDined on 10/27/2014Everything was great as per usual. Service a tad slow, but they sat us right away which I appreciate especially in a big group.Special Features:
- Great lunch!GroovymomDined on 10/27/2014Chose The Smith from Open Table reviews and was not disappointed. Food was great and there was a wide variety of choices for my group of 8 co-workers. Table was big enough for group to enjoy conversation. Noise level was as expected and service was good.Special Features:
- AmazingLauraDined on 10/26/2014I am from london and love eating out in nice restaurants. We came across this by accident and it was the best meal we had in New York by far! Really unusual flavours that worked perfectly together the food was beautiful! Service was amazing as well. What an amazing restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The SmithFauzlyDined on 10/26/2014Food was good, ambience good. Quite competitive in food pricing as to other eateries in NYC. Maybe it was cold the night I went but it would be great if the restaurant could open the door to th streets as this was one of the reason we decided on the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyBabyl314Dined on 10/26/2014Food choices offered a lot of variety which is nice as scrambled eggs or omelettes can be boring. Brunch special included a cocktail. The hubby drooled over the salmon benedict and got the passion punch while I chose the Sicilian baked eggs (three eggs baked in a spicy tomato sauce with spinach and artichokes--yum!) with an apple champagne. Everyone at the table loved their food as much as I did and the waiter was super nice and accommodating to our requests. Would definitely come again. Especially with a group as the place is enormous! The only downside is the noise level. It did make conversation difficult across the table but the food made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but...NancDined on 10/26/2014This was our third meal at the Smith and, as always, the food did not disappoint. The potato chips with blue cheese were a delicious starter, and the various omelettes we all ordered were filling and quite good. The waitress was attentive and friendly. My one complaint was that we had a reservation, and an airplane to catch, but we had to wait for over 20 minutes to be seated. This meant the meal was more rushed than it should have been, which was a disappointment for all of us, and not the way to start a meal. The restaurant may need to get a better handle on their reservation process.Special Features:
- missyzDined on 10/25/2014Service was lousy. My salad and entree were good. My husbands meal was not. We've been to the other Smiths before and had a nice meal with great service. Was disappointed in the Midtown location. I would recommend the other Smiths not the midtown one.Special Features:
- Breakfast and Bloody MaryFresserDined on 10/24/2014Great Midtown spot for tasty breakfast with a kick. We had eggs Benedict, Ricotta Pancakes, Egg white feta omelette, mushroom omelet and the side potatoes - oh do not forget those potatoesSpecial Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014The location is beautiful. I've been a fan of The Smith for years now and they have kept up with their standards here. Food was yummy and on point. The my cappuccino was perfect-which isn't always the case in the city. The staff from the door to management was friendly and helpful. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale BarJimmyJumpManDined on 10/22/2014Had a great time getting a drink and a bite at The Smith with a buddy. We ate at the bar where they had a great drink menu that would satisfy any beer drinker or a lover of spirits. I had the fleet mignon which was on par with any steak house and and my buddy had the burger which was cooked to perfection. Young hip crowd filed with professionals. Vibrant scene that was delightfully noisy and alive. Loved it. .. will be back with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itmtnycDined on 10/21/2014Went here on a Tuesday evening with friends. We got there and were seated promptly, always a plus. I was stunned by how quickly each and every table filled up within a half hour or so, especially on a Tuesday night. The food was excellent. We opted for the Burratta starter, because how could you not order Buratta when it is on the menu? It was amazing! Lucky for me I went on a Tuesday & was able to order the Short Ribs. The meat was just right and the risotto it was served over was great. I was worried it was going to be a bit too heavy, but it was perfect. If you are at The Smith on a Tuesday, it is a must-have. We also got the portobello fries as a side, YUM-MY! Overrall a great experience, I'd definitely go back, this time for Brunch!Special Features:
- Carrot Cake Donuts, Apple ChampagneletthemeatcakeDined on 10/19/2014We had an amazing brunch a couple weeks ago. We made a quick, easy reservation, got a great corner table and our waiter was attentive and helpful. The food was incredible. We started with the little donuts and got the apple champagne cocktail instead of my standard mimosa -- wow. We try to mix it up every week to go to new places, but we're definitely coming back.Special Features:
- Great placeEastSiderDined on 10/18/2014This is a great place to get brunch, lunch or dinner with a friend - any day of the week. It's trendy, delicious and comfortable.Special Features:
- renieDined on 10/18/2014I love The Smith. The swordfish, steak and pretzels are wonderful!Special Features:
- Brunch!lumanatrixDined on 10/18/2014A great place to meet friends, and take out-of-townees to discover the joys of a typical NYC brunch culture. Brunch was great. The speed at which it was served was timely for a long relaxing and fun conversation. The restaurant fills up fast, so a reservation to guarantee a spot might be a good idea if you have a time limit.Special Features:
- Great Food and ViberobertoDined on 10/17/2014I've been here several times and the food is always delicious, the vibe is very energetic and trendy. This is a great spot for brunch or lunch/dinner with friends. It is very loud, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.