The Smith - Midtown
956 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126442700x
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 7:30 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 10 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for all catering inquiries.
- Special Events: Please inquire for further details
- Cross Street: 51st Street
- Public Transit: The closest subway stops are the 4 & 6 train at 51st and Lexington Avenue or the E & M train at 53rd & Lexington Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a parking garage located at 251 East 51st Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue.
A word from The Smith - Midtown
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. Diners at The Smith Midtown can also choose from our hand-picked wine list and full raw seafood bar. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Smith - Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
The Smith - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
483 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (223)good for groups (214)hot spot (162)neighborhood gem (161)great for lunch (153)vibrant bar scene (147)fit for foodies (123)kid-friendly (59)late-night find (50)special occasion (46)great for outdoor dining (41)notable wine list (14)romantic (11)scenic view (9)Show More
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014The Smith is always a good place not only for the variety in the menu but also for the outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect brunch locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014We visited The Smith twice while we were in NY in August. The location is good is your midtown - we stayed at the Grand Hyatt on 42nd and could walk to the restaurant in around 10 minutes. The team there are great from a service perspective - friendly and attentive. The decor of the restaurant is light and contemporary, with lots of different seating for different groups. And the food was excellent... We took in brunch on both occasions and both the adults and children (we have 4 of various ages) enjoyed the food that was served. All round an excellent restaurant and one that we'd highly recommend.Special Features:
- Interesting menu,extremely loudFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We had Sunday brunch here, and the menu items were interesting. They do provide a free drink with the meal. If before, noon, they have to be "virgin" drinks. Portions are ample. The Potato Waffle Benedict with blended spinach was good ($16), and very filling. The Ranchero eggs ($16) were also good. The Carrot Cake Donuts ($9) were great! How anyone can really enjoy the noise, is hard to believe, and very hard to have any kind of meaningful discussion. The walls are covered in tile, and the floor also, so there is noise absorbing material. The area by the bar with outside doors is about the quietest area. Can't say we would rush back, as there are so many wonderful restaurants around. That being said, though, worth a visit.
- Frustrated with serviceDissapointedVIPDined on 8/24/2014My friends and I picked out one of the great omelets that The Smith has to offer. At first we were excited to see that the price included a drink or a glass of juice. We learned that the restaurant couldn't serve alcohol before noon which was fine, so we asked what else we could get. The waitress pointed out their homemade sodas so we each tried one of those. Much to our surprise when the bill came, the soda was an additional $6 charge (on top of the $16). We explained our surprise and she was unapologetic. We felt misled and ripped off. We were very disappointed in how she handled and would not return to this restaurant as a result.Special Features:
- Loud and unpleasant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Avoid this restaurant unless you want to be squeezed in at a tight table and unable to hear your dining companion even when shouting. The waitress brought the wrong dish but we were so anxious to get out of there that we didn't say anything. Very disappointed.
- Great midtown lunch spotGregoireVIPDined on 8/21/2014Better than a lot of the other restaurants in the Middle East for low key lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.GoodeatsDined on 8/20/2014Had a nice night out with family. Great food and service!Special Features:
- Great but too noisylisaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful if you don't want to have a conversation. Best for two people but hard to hear for any bigger table. Good food and fun vibe.
- Super loudCATDVIPDined on 8/19/2014Nice food, terrific service, fair prices Had trouble having a conversation as it was so loud Based on that, I will not be returningSpecial Features:
- Good food too loudTable44Dined on 8/19/2014Second time going to The Smith and the food does not disappoint. The first time we sat in the back (7 ppl) it was way too loud but we thought maybe it was the table location. This time we sat in the front next to the open doors. Thank goodness we had the outside, it actually made it quieter... If you're going for the bar scene then great. If you want to have dinner with friends and hear them you may be out of luck.Special Features:
- The Smith dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The service was great however the food was just average and expensive. My wife had a chicken with brie salad. There was very little chicken and literally one small slice of brie. I had seared tuna salad tuna was blackened and very hot pepper flavor. My son had a hamburger which he said was ok...
- Bright spot along 2nd AveGlossGalDined on 8/18/2014There's a great deal of care that goes into every single dish served at The Smith. The food is stellar and the service (particularly if Gaby is on the floor) matches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good - service not so muchlovetodineDined on 8/17/2014They made a few mistakes on the appetizer orders but were reasonably pleasant about it. We then waited approximately 45 minutes between our appetizers and main meals. They apologized but we said it was fine. The food was good so we were happy to over look it. Unfortunately, they started to get busy and pressured us after 10 minutes to see if we were done with our meals when clearly we had more than 50% of our food on our plate. The same person came by 3 times in short order. Finally, we said we are done - give us the check. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Best Brunch EverFoodandWine123VIPDined on 8/17/2014Whenever I visit NYC my friends and I try to make it to The Smith for brunch. The food is incredible. I had the pancakes with ricotta and caramel sauce and the candy bacon - delicious! Great coffee as well and if you want something with a little kick they have fantastic cocktails. An Old Fashioned goes great with the bacon. Our server was fantastic - she took great care of us. Will definitely go back next visit to New York.Special Features:
- Noise trumped food enjoymentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014This was our 2nd brunch, much later than previous experience and at 11:30 the noise level made any conversation rather public for the way we needed to almost shout across the 2 top table less than a arms length from the other tables talking just as loud. The tile amplifies the noise. Food respectably safe. Baked eggs overcooked, but flavors right on delicious. Pricey benedict was solid, but unremarkable, almost flat flavors. Waitstaff attentive and obviously on their toes with the crowded room. Will simply try another place in a big city or go early to avoid such commotion.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Visiting daughter in NYC. Best recommendation a 20 year old every gave me.Special Features:
- Great food but noisyHighstandardsDined on 8/16/2014The food And service were excellent but it was so noisy it was difficult to carry on a conversation. Too much tile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but goodRfuncoDined on 8/15/2014The food and service was good, but the space reaches extremely high decibel levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, very poor serviceSalsfoodDined on 8/15/2014We had a 5pm reservation for a party of 8. The restaurant was fairly busy for a Friday, but the service was very poor. We didn't get asked if we wanted to order drinks, we had to go and find a waiter to take our food order. The food was tasty, the shrimp and steak as very good but it didn't feel like we got any attention the whole time we were there. Carrot cake doughnuts sounded good, but weren't fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait or Wait More in this Cafeteriatunein2tdineVIPDined on 8/14/2014The lack of service and vehement disregard of my presence was a slap in the face after supporting the other locations of The Smith NYC. After asking the hostess to send over a waiter/waitress because I knew what I wanted, I waited and waited. The bus boy came over and grabbed the used dishes from the table next to me and I asked for the waiter/waitress and he said someone was coming. The 2nd bus boy wiped the dirty table and told me SHE would be right there. I waited and waited. SHE kept walking to the back and did not return for 3 minutes and totally ignored the bus boy when he told her SHE had a table. I walked out! But I am rating the food as 5 because I would hope the food, at least, is as good as the other locations.
- Not as good as usualJRSNYCVIPDined on 8/12/2014Very accommodating abt changing reservation time. Then... Condensation from A/C dripping on us. Offered dessert menu before entrees arrived. French fries very undercooked. Mussels broth tasteless. Very different from multiple previous experiences here. Better luck next time, I hope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanaDined on 8/12/2014extremely loud starting around 7:30PM as we were seated toward the front so it was really hard to have a conversation. otherwise, food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food but deafening!LadyDoc1Dined on 8/12/2014The food was superb as was the staff. We were a party of 7 seated right in the middle of the restaurant to start. However, it was so noisy we couldn't even hear the person next to us. The staff was kind enough to move us before we even ordered our food. We were sitting half inside and half outside at that point and from then on our experience was fantastic. Food was simply spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luscious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/11/2014Food is fresh and delicious! My husband and I could probably eat here once a week. Favorites and a must...spicy salmon tartare, beer battered string beans, watermelon salad and these are just starters! I am typically not a vegetarian girl, however, the Bibimbap is out of this world! You can go wrong with any item on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite the scene at lunchALPSVIPDined on 8/11/2014Ambience nice, service and food very good, but the noise level was exceptionally high. Every surface is wood or tile. Couldn't hear my lunch companion. I'd like to go back, but probably will search for a place with equally good food and service which is quieter. For those who like an "exciting scene" this may be perfect.Special Features:
- Great Brunch !MaxOneVIPDined on 8/10/2014this is not the first time and we always have good experience so far , beside the noise the food is really good and I recommend to anyone , thank you !Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchscottyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Absolutely delicious brunch! Amazingly awesome Bloody Mary recipe. Best egg white omelette I have ever tasted! Only drawback is that it is rather loud in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bouncing noisemidtownVIPDined on 8/10/2014Remember the old bathrooms with all the black and tiles? Well, The Smith, though not a bathroom by any stretch is decorated with tiles. AND THE SOUND FILLS THE ROOM.Special Features:
- BrunchLilras14Dined on 8/10/2014I went here for Sunday brunch and it was a wonderful experience. When I arrived at The Smith, I saw a group of people waiting for their table. I was worried that I would have to wait but they honored my opentable reservation and I was immediately taken to my table. The food was amazing and the service was fast..it was very loud so don't expect to have any meaningful conservation with your brunch buddies. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food--perlaDined on 8/9/2014Must try brussel sprouts, tomato soup, trout, cauliflower flatbread, kale and quinoa salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Wanted to take my son out with my wife and my daughter. My son is always hanging out NYC and is very familiar with the NYC restaurant's scene. I wanted to eat on the upper east side, so he picked The Smith. Excellent choice all around, from drinks to appetizers to entree's. If I live in that neighborhood The Smith would be my local go to restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Midtown FindvabeachgirlinNJDined on 8/9/2014Hip atmosphere and full of locals, but serious about their food. Great brunch, nice well-priced wine list, huge portions, and extremely competent staff make this a very good option in this neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisytravelwithcousinsDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed brunch at The Smith - Midtown. They have some imaginative dishes for brunch that you don't typically find. The food was well prepared and the service attentive. Our only disappointment was the noise level - very high. Plus they had the music blasting at 10am, which we felt wasn't appropriate for a Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Enjoyable2ChainzVIPDined on 8/6/2014Staples of mine for meeting up with friends. Solid food and big bar scene. Nice bread to start and plenty of food choices.Special Features:
- Reliable for client meetingsagentxtDined on 8/4/2014Thank goodness for The Smith, a mirage in the midtown desert. I can always rely on their top notch service, quality ingredients, and a menu that satisfies diverse tastes. Besides which, the food is exciting without being intimidating, perfect for entertaining clients or colleagues during a lunch meeting. The gratis bottles of still and sparkling water are a really nice touch. The beautiful subway tiles make for a bit of a loud room, but if you're by the open windows in summer, that's not a problem. Great quality for a great price.Special Features:
- Loved The SmithEatingOutShouldBeFunVIPDined on 8/3/2014A tired family of four, we made brunch reservations based on a strong recommendation, and we were not disappointed! The only problem was not being able to fit more food in since it was all so delicious. The service was impeccable and we really enjoyed the casual yet elegant atmosphere. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great for a Girls Night Out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Great food, great service! I have a special spot in my heart for The Smith - the staff is always friendly and eager to accommodate each diner's needs (food allergies/preferences). My friends a I put our waiter, Colin, up to the task of recommending cocktails, and he was SPOT ON with each one! The food is always delicious and certainly did not disappoint on my last visit! We left very full, very happy, and sufficiently buzzed. I will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- EBASpeaksDined on 8/1/2014The midtown Smith is a rather large place with an open-air feel and an eclectic yet friendly ambiance. The Bistro menu is classic (salads, mussels, burgers, etc.) with some added special features like a chicken provolone sausage and a raw bar. There are a lot of choices- I had the shrimp and grits which was very tasty. Prices are Manhattan moderate and the wait staff could not have been friendlier and more accommodating. My only negative is that their choice to take bottled wines and serve them in small carafes and large carafes seems like a vehicle to overcharge somewhat on the wine. Still, all in all, a laid-back and enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- AnnaVIPDined on 7/31/2014Good restaurant but the noise was too loud; forget about having a decent conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fun eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/28/2014Great for bringing out of town younger guests. Always an energetic vibe with very good food and wide range of choices. Interesting cocktails. Noise level is very high; not recommended for those with hearing issues or prefer quiet conversation. One star off ambience for the bathrooms - love the unisex idea but it smelled pretty bad down there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.