The Smith - Midtown
956 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126442700x
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 7:30 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 10 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for all catering inquiries.
- Special Events: Please inquire for further details
- Cross Street: 51st Street
- Public Transit: The closest subway stops are the 4 & 6 train at 51st and Lexington Avenue or the E & M train at 53rd & Lexington Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a parking garage located at 251 East 51st Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue.
A word from The Smith - Midtown
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. Diners at The Smith Midtown can also choose from our hand-picked wine list and full raw seafood bar. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Smith - Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
The Smith - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
448 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (213)great for brunch (187)hot spot (175)neighborhood gem (148)vibrant bar scene (144)great for lunch (138)fit for foodies (130)late-night find (46)kid-friendly (46)special occasion (40)great for outdoor dining (33)notable wine list (13)romantic (13)scenic view (10)Show More
- Special Occasion DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014A group of friends and I came to The Smith to celebrate a birthday and was beyond happy with the entire dinning experience. I have been to The Smith before and greatly enjoyed the food. This time was no different. Our waitress was very friendly and accommodating and my whole group of friends said it was the best meal they had in a long time. I ordered the swordfish and look forward to coming back and ordering it again. The brussel sprouts were delightful, we could not get enough of them. The Smith is one of my top favorite restaurants in Manhattan and I always have a good time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Great food great staff. had brunch here and it was great. Altough tis very noisy so dont go here if you are hangover from à saturday day night out. But i strongley recomend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiance, inconsistent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Restaurant accepts reservations for brunch so there was no wait, which is a huge plus and not too common with Sunday brunch spots in the city. The semi-open dining area was great when we were eating. Everything was bright, and we were able to enjoy the moderate weather outside and a nice breeze now and then. I was craving mac and cheese so I ordered theirs as an appetizer for our table. It was DELICIOUS. Piping hot skillet with nice crust and a creamy blend of cheeses that even as a long-time cheese-hater/rejector I LOVED. Big portion too, as we were all pretty much full from that alone (we were a party of 3). I got the special, which was a prime rib eggs Benedict. Okay flavor, but came to me lukewarm; a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, lack-luster servicemummybubbleDined on 9/27/2014My friends and I went to The Smith for brunch on a Saturday morning. The host was very kind and accommodating since two of our friends were running late. Once they arrived, we were seated quickly and given menus. Our waitress took our orders and the food arrived relatively quickly. The food itself was solid - very tasty, well priced, well executed. The only real problem was that our waitress never stopped by our table again for the entire service. In fact, we had to flag down another waitress and ask for the check.Special Features:
- The Smith was awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We visited The Smith over the weekend while vacationing in NYC based on it's good reviews. It did not disappoint either! It was hands down the best restaurant breakfast/brunch I've ever had! The glazed donuts with chocolate dipping sauce were divine! The cheddar biscuits are also a must. We would have loved to had dinner there, but we will just have to do that next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!SweetsDined on 9/26/2014Great food, service & ambiance! Our waitress was efficient & really nice. Added to the whole dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty specialsSJohnDined on 9/23/2014delicious specials - noisy restaurant, difficult to have a long conversation but great food.Special Features:
- Really Good/fun atmosphereDinnerinSBVIPDined on 9/21/2014Although crowded the restaurant went above and beyond to accommodate us. Food was delicious and service was great! I would highly recommend. Give yourself enough time though, very crowded and definitely make a res.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ited11Dined on 9/21/2014I just love coming to The Smith for brunch on weekends. The atmosphere is just great and the food is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch standbyvlnycVIPDined on 9/20/2014bustling, energetic, pretty without being pretentious or overly hip. great brunch/lunch menu.Special Features:
- YackieohVIPDined on 9/20/2014Way too loud...they should work on that and everything else would be so much more enjoyable! Great brunchSpecial Features:
- Wear your ear plugs!CoopDined on 9/19/2014Ate here based on online recommendations. Should have heeded warnings about noise level! It was the loudest restaurant I have ever eaten at to the point where it kind of ruined the whole dining experience which is too bad because the food and service were very good. If you like restaurants that jam you in and you like really loud - and I mean really loud - restaurants then this is a good choice. I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Acoustics Are TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/18/2014While the food was good and ambience, my friend and I had to practically scream at each other throughout our meal. Not a good place if you want to have a nice calm meal and actually hear each other speak. Also, our waiter completely forgot about us halfway through our meal. Next time we saw him he was handing us our check without even asking if we wanted dessert or coffee. I don't plan to return any time soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Great scene, menu has lots of great things on it, food was lacking flavor...Special Features:
- Noisy spot with good foodbruncherVIPDined on 9/16/2014Don't plan on having a conversation over dinner without shouting across the table, but if you don't mind dining in a very loud environment the food at The Smith is great.
- Smith Midtown for DinnerAndyatLunchDined on 9/16/2014The restaurant decor was very nice however, I was surprised by the woman who greeted me, she seemed very out of place - poorly dressed, green streaks in her hair and a lip piercing. Everyone else who worked there was more professionally attired. Service was very good, appetizers were great. I ordered mussels as my entree and was surprised how little meat was in each mussel, about half the size I have had elsewhere. My friend ordered the strip steak and said it was excellent. One issue with The Smith restaurants is their wine glasses, or non-wine glasses I should say. Wine is served in short rocks style glasses, a major turn off for me. I plan to eat there again and will order something else next time and will not order wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute must try!nycfoodieDined on 9/14/2014I took friends visiting from Europe to the Smith this past Sunday night and it could not have been a more enjoyable evening. I had the pot of mussels (a must try!) and everyone loved their meal. I made a reservation on open table for 6 people and we were seated at one of the fabulous tables at the front of the restaurant with a few of life outside on 2nd ave. I've has brunch and dinner at the smith now and would come here for any occasion! Two huge thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food &service but VERY LOUDFrequentDinerNYCVIPDined on 9/14/2014I love The Smith, especially for brunch. Their steak and eggs breakfast is amazing! Since the chefs' idea of "medium" is a bit on the cooked side, I usually request "medium rare" to get "medium." No big deal. Their brussel sprouts are to die for! They fry them and add orange zest that gives an amazing flavor. IMO the only thing that kills he ambiance is how LOUD the restaurant gets. The acoustics are HORRIBLE, and once the restaurant is full it's almost impossible to have a conversation. I'd prefer an ambiance that is quieter and easier on the ears.Special Features:
- Not as good the second timeChuckVIPDined on 9/14/2014This was my second time to this The Smith location for brunch. The last time, the food was outstanding. This time, it was very average. I got the mushroom omelette that my son got last time, but instead of being light, fluffy and bursting with the flavor of the fresh sauteed mushrooms with zesty cheese, the eggs were flat and dense, the mushrooms had very little flavor, and the cheese was an amorphous goo without much taste. Clearly something changed. The juice was fresh squeezed, the coffee was good, and this time they kept the cup full! My friend had the French toast which was a huge portion, but very, very sweet stuff. The best part of the meal were my potatoes, which were crispy and really, really good.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceLWCfromCTDined on 9/13/2014A friend recommended The Smith as a somewhat casual place to grab dinner with my mother and sister after seeing a matinee show on Broadway. We chose it based on the menu and the proximity to Grand Central. We were very pleased with the service and the food. I would go back again. It was a little bit noisy, but it didn't really bother us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the noiseweeatoutVIPDined on 9/11/2014Very interesting menu. Great Ribeye steak. Portobello fries, deliciousSpecial Features:
- Consistently Great.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/9/2014Consistently great in service, food & overall experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014Service was courteous, prompt, and friendly. The food was very good. The tomato soup with cheddar was great. It's a lively spot along 2nd avenue. The restaurant opens up onto the sidewalk and it is great for people watching.Special Features:
- The SmithLoanickDined on 9/7/2014Great food had the corn bisque and it was awesome, however space reduced and it's a very loud ambiance. Great for groups, will need previously reservation. Service is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!BarbaraDined on 9/6/2014The Smith was a great choice for dinner with a group of friends. It's lively, vibrant, and fun. The starters and bar snacks were fun to share, the cocktail list was a hit (they also were happy to accomodate cocktails not on the menu) and everyone enjoyed their main courses as well. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- BrunchiliciousjcmeatloverVIPDined on 9/6/2014Very good Bloody Mary! Shared the Sicilian baked eggs and Smoked Salmon Benedict, wonderful and delicious! Great vibe and services. Been here for dinner and brunch didn't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchDanSDined on 9/6/2014Great place for brunch. Recommend a reservation because it does get very busy. We needed to be in and out quick because my friends were seeing a show. Not only did our waitress make this happen, but she was fantastic, friendly and helpful while she did it!Special Features:
- Great lunch--but not for doing biz!GretaDined on 9/5/2014While the reviews clearly pointed toward a loud atmosphere, there was a suggestion that were quieter pockets in the restaurant, so when I arrived I asked for us to be seated in a quieter section. I think that the hostess tried to accommodate us but unfortunately, a table full of 20-something guys was seated next to us... and it was clear they weren't going back to work. By the end, it was so loud that we were literally sitting shoulder to shoulder yelling to each other. The food was great, and we both agreed that we'd be happy to go back, but never again when business is involved.Special Features:
- Loud and rushedLoudDined on 9/4/2014Was our second time back. Noise level was deafening. Went for lunch with kids. Service was terrible and we felt rushed. Wait staff walked by without stopping several times, had to be grabbed to get any attention. If you have a kids menu, give the kids some paper and crayons. Had the raw bar, was good but Iwon't be returning here. Not a relaxing enjoyable experience. Stressed me out.Special Features:
- Delicious and Unique FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014The menu has so many different options of food, American with a twist. The steak salad is unbelievable and a huge portion. They have funky drinks as well with a full bar. It was pretty loud inside, but once sitting at your own table it's fine.Special Features:
- Great FoodsgermanmdDined on 9/1/2014Great Food, great service. Party of six for breakfast. 2"thick french toast. Fluffy waffles, great coffee.Special Features:
- Yummyboop716VIPDined on 8/31/2014the food was amazing, very busy even with a reservation we waited briefly. my only complaint is bad acoustics, the noise level was uncomfortable for chatting, we were a table of 5 and could barely hear each other.Special Features:
- perfect brunch spotkix315Dined on 8/31/2014Food amazing. ..unique choices. ..also has good cocktails...cool atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Patience is key when going to The Smith for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUCCESSLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have enjoyed dinner here before but never with this particular group of friends who can be difficult at times. Well, thank you to THE SMITH for not disappointing! Everyone loved the food and we were at the best table so we could actually hear ourselves talk. I told our server to pick from three choices for me and surprise me...the Swordfish was the best I've ever had. My friends loved the blistered peppers, portabello fries and string beans. thanks for great dinner.Special Features:
- Terrific food & drinks. Full stop.GlossGalDined on 8/30/2014Whether Roberto is at the bar mixing the best Manhattan I've had in my life or Gaby is waiting tables and assuring that your experience at The Smith is sublime, the food carries you to a place somewhat unexpected in a restaurant with three locations in Manhattan. And The Smith on 2nd Avenue is terrific. Do. Not. Miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Jones for The SmithOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014I'm addicted. The Smith is a dangerous place for those of us with addictive personallities . Go for the GNOCCHI before they change the menu. Go twice. Be prepared for reaching forks from all directions. The gnocchi should be on "The Best Thing I ever Ate". Everything else on menu that we tried was fantastic, the chicken, the fish, oh, and of course , the mac 'n cheese. The drinks are really good as well. The service was terrific every time we went. The Smith has become one of our favorite places to meet and have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two huge thumbs up!!nycfoodieDined on 8/28/2014The smith is the perfect spot for any occasion. I've been for brunch--great with or without alcohol--and it's my go to spot to get drinks for a casual date. It's always lovely, young and packed and is a guaranteed good time. Couldn't recommend it more highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOmarLisandroDined on 8/27/2014The Smith is always a good place not only for the variety in the menu but also for the outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect brunch locationGlobetrotterDined on 8/25/2014We visited The Smith twice while we were in NY in August. The location is good is your midtown - we stayed at the Grand Hyatt on 42nd and could walk to the restaurant in around 10 minutes. The team there are great from a service perspective - friendly and attentive. The decor of the restaurant is light and contemporary, with lots of different seating for different groups. And the food was excellent... We took in brunch on both occasions and both the adults and children (we have 4 of various ages) enjoyed the food that was served. All round an excellent restaurant and one that we'd highly recommend.Special Features: