The Smith - East Village
55 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - East Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 420-9800
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 8 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 8 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 9:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 9:30 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Special Events: Please inquire for details
A word from The Smith - East Village
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Smith - East Village reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (135)good for groups (133)neighborhood gem (113)hot spot (113)fit for foodies (102)great for lunch (86)vibrant bar scene (81)late-night find (37)special occasion (31)kid-friendly (26)great for outdoor dining (20)romantic (19)notable wine list (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- MediocreMegc87Dined on 11/22/2014The food was overpriced and the restaurant was very crowded. Slow service for getting drinks. I had to send my meal back twice because the meat was not cooked. I was offered no reimbursement for my inconvenience.
- YumYummyDined on 11/22/2014It was my first time dining at The Smith. I attended for brunch with family. Perfect choice. Wish The Smith was in my neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot and LoudYummyDined on 11/22/2014Very crowded. But wait staff and hosts remain calm and friendly. Even with reservation the whole party must be there for seating. Wide variety on menu but it is LOUD. The street was a quiet oasis when we left. Fun,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findKarenSDined on 11/21/2014We found the restaurant when looking for a place to eat near Classic Stages on 13th that wasn't a pub or ordinary. The service was excellent, the free sparkling water a wonderful feature and the food was absolutely delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service a little slowMaryVIPDined on 11/18/2014We are regulars. It was packed and the service was unusually slow but overall it was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!!LoveitVIPDined on 11/16/2014This is always my first choice. Can't go wrong with anything, but I can live on the kale salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Food was awesome! We were 4 people on a Sunday for brunch and wanted to talk and catch up.. Definitly ask to sit downstairs! Noise level was defening upstairs.. Everyone loved what they ordered.. Get the chocolate chip cookies for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HKazVIPDined on 11/16/2014went with two friends for Sunday brunch - definitely make a reservation, because the wait for walk-ins was 1 hour+! food was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at The SmithMelroseDined on 11/16/2014We had a fabulous Sunday brunch at the Smith before going to the Public Theater for a matinee performance. I had the pancakes - literally amazing. So fluffy and yummy! It was PACKED so I'm really glad I made a reservation. We were seated right away! Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cramped but good foodNYfoodieVIPDined on 11/15/2014If you want a solid place to grab a quick bite in the east village, you can be sure the food will be good here. However, if you want to dine, skip it. The tables are way to small, god-forbid you all order large plates AND drinks, and the tables are too close together. Good for a quick bite but nothing really else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go back.yummyDined on 11/14/2014Jalapeño cheese grits, gnocchi, and the tuna tartare were all very good. Brussel sprouts were were decent; I think I'm partial to the way I prepare them at home. All in all, a fun atmosphere and food that I can only imagine consistently delivers. Not so quirky that you have to really be in the mood for it, but complex enough to not be boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the smith restaurant reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Overall a great experience. Went for dinner and had the barata as an appetizer which was amazing. My husband had trout schnitzel which he said was great and pumpkin bread pudding which was also great. The only negative is the table we were at was very close to the others. Otherwise service was great and so was the food. Already told many others about our successful find. Close to Webster hall which was convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-Public Theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Service was attentive. The entrees we ordered were tasty (pot of mussels, salmon, brick=pressed chicken, portobello mushrooms). The portobello mushrooms were heavily battered and only appetizing when piping hot. Both wines we tried (Pinot and Merlot) were a bit bland. A pleasant meal but not especially memorable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Great for brunch. Recommend vanilla bean french toast and eggs benedict!Special Features:
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014I've been here many times for brunch and it is always fantastic. The food is always, fresh, yummy and innovative. Service is always very good. From the egg dishes, waffles, and salads...it won't disappoint.Special Features:
- So loudCarlyHere123Dined on 11/9/2014Not the place to go if you actually want to talk to the people you are with. My reservation requested a corner table and we were sat in the middle of the place. People / waiters kept bumping into all of us and th acoustics were terrible. Not great for a party of 5.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Went here for a girls dinner/college reunion/catch up. Food was good, but nothing special. Standard menu. The Smith is a good "go to" place when you have a friend in town - they pretty much have something for everyone. I will note however that the service was excellent! From the hostess, to the bartender to our server- everyone was super nice and accomodating. Will definetly be back.Special Features:
- Tasty, reliable dinnerAnnieHVIPDined on 11/7/2014The Smith is a spot for a reliably good meal with friends. I've only had delicious food, and the service is solid. It's not the place where I'd take my parents (it's a bit loud); however, I frequently go there with friends. I've even taken out-of-towners there for a good meal on the way to something fun in the East Village.Special Features:
- great dinnerBrianDined on 11/6/2014Really good burgers and chicken pot pie and wine for a family dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsFoodDude28Dined on 11/6/2014The Smith was very accommodating and our waitress was great and provided excellent service. Would absolutely come back for dinner sometime soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little old New YorkWorkingclassDined on 11/5/2014We had a great bistro meal recently at The Smith in the East Village (the same block I wouldn't have walked alone on years ago). Our waiter was completely attentive - and patient - and guided us through our meal like a pro. He even treated us to champagne after dessert. The food is always reliable and yummy (esp the kale/quinoa salad and the NY Strip steak and the fried chicken with waffle). The Brussel sprouts were great! Didn't love the sticky toffee pudding - but the banana pudding was great. The service always makes a dining experience better - and our waiter was awesome. No complaints. Great atmosphere. Great place for a rain=y NY night. The Lincoln Center Smith is also good - but this one feels less "done." We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJKATZDined on 10/29/2014Great date spot! We ordered appetizers and shared and everything was delicious and I got a kiss at the end of the night :)Special Features:
- great restaurantcmlfDined on 10/28/2014The atmosphere was cool and calm. The service was great, everyone was very accommodating. We sat right outside in the early evening and there were enough people going by to make it entertaining but not distracting or too loud. The only thing we found a little odd was that the table was very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!marisanycDined on 10/25/2014I'm a big foodie. I love living in New York almost solely for the dining experiences. The Smith had it all. Great food, friendly staff and an amazing ambiance. The decor almost felt like early 1900s. The food was absolutely delicious, especially the calamari and string bean fries. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Smith- Lower East SideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Thankfully the food is worth the wait! I had made a reservation a few days in advance and yet my group and I still had to wait about 20 minutes for our table to be ready.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood find!BobbyDined on 10/25/2014Very good food and filled with Village people, not uptown people. Noisier than expected, but everyone loved their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- huh? hold on I am eating.tastyDined on 10/10/2014It was so loud it was difficult to hear anything including the waitstaff but food was good. Must try the ricotta gnocchi! !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but noisyHikechickVIPDined on 10/9/2014We loved our food (2 of us has the shrimp and grits and 1 had the steak salad) but it was very noisy and hard to converse. However, I would recommend and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for work meetingTeushayDined on 10/9/2014I went to the Smith two consecutive days. The first time was for a business meeting. I asked to be sat in the back where I can get more privacy and also make use of a spare table. I had to do a computer demo. They nicely accommodated. There was wifi. I had everything I needed. The meeting went awesome. It was a late lunch meeting so I ended up drinking 3 beers. I went the next day for another business meeting, though this time the business partner bailed in the last second. It was mid morning so I ended up just staying and getting brunch on my own. I had the steak and eggs. Surprised the stead was a better cut than your typical breakfast steak. I ordered it medium rare; was done perfectly.Special Features:
- food was great, coffee is yummmmcsdstyleVIPDined on 10/9/2014Stopped in for brunch on the day we arrived and went back the next day for a coffee. Great food, fantastic atmosphere. I love the open wall where you can sit, people watch and enjoy the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable foodjfoodhVIPDined on 10/4/2014Always a good choice Food is always good Service is very good Only complaint is the bread before the meal is disappointingSpecial Features:
- Solid PlaceCHARCHIMVIPDined on 10/4/2014First time trying the EV location, I have been to midtown before. Food is always great @ The Smith, and the atmosphere is awesome. Did a great job with the service as well. Keep it up!Special Features:
- Love The Smith!BrianNYVIPDined on 10/3/2014I've been going to a The Smith since it opened and it continues to be a go to place. My server, Lauren, was really wonderful and between that quality service and equally wonderful food, I keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!BigEatersFromMDDined on 10/3/2014We were a group of 10 for early dinner. Hostess and wait staff were very friendly, accommodating and attentive. The ambiance was fun and frenetic but not over the top. Food was excellent! Starters were very tasty and well presented. Entrees: we are a very sharing group so I got to taste several of the selections. I can recommend the trout shnitzel, house made cavatelli with brazed shortribs, and the house made potato chips with blue cheese dip. We'll definitely go back next time we're in Noho!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ModeratemelgDined on 10/1/2014I've been to The Smith on multiple occasions and multiple locations. I enjoy the East Village location because of its proximity to the trendy and vibrant neighborhood, but the restaurant set up doesn't make much sense and it's uncomfortably crammed. My friend and I were escorted to a corner booth where those next to us were required to essentially part the seas of their tables to let us into our assigned corner. This part of the experience was not at all enjoyable nor was it comfortable. The food was great, as it always is at The Smith. Our server was nice, not spectacular, and our seating arrangement was disappointing. I much prefer the Lincoln Center or Midtown East locations to East Village - truly a better dining experience each time.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedVardaDined on 9/28/2014Good food, good ambiance. We return to this place each time we are in NY.Special Features:
- Lively downtown casualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We love The Smith and this was our first time in the downtown location near Union Square, which was also great. The server made a mistake with our order but apologized and was willing to give us something else in exchange. Food is consistently good and fresh. I like that they have still and sparkling water bottles at the table, and good coffee drinks. Great for weekends, brunch, lunch, dinner and a movie.Special Features:
- not bad but too loudPartyof4Dined on 9/26/2014I've gotten too old! I can't take the loudness. However, food was good and service okay. A bit too salty but workers very nice. I would like to come back at Brunch instead of a Friday night. Ha. Will try again.Special Features:
- super loud!Bourbon92VIPDined on 9/25/2014the din in this place is pretty daunting. The food is fine, and the service is super-friendly and efficient. The Smith does a great business and they handle the crowds smoothly.Special Features:
- Extremely loud & incredibly close!IloveIceCreamDined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend and I went to the smith on a Saturday around 2:30. We got seated quickly because we had a reservation but the place was packed! Not suprising as the food is incredible here. However, it is definitely not the place for a leisurely brunch. We could hardly hear one another and we were practically on top of the table next to us. The smith is great for a solid tasty brunch but not if you are trying to catch up or be romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.