The Smith - East Village
55 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - East Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124209800
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 8 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 8 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 10 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Special Events: Please inquire for details
A word from The Smith - East Village
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Smith - East Village reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (131)good for groups (116)neighborhood gem (96)hot spot (94)great for lunch (77)fit for foodies (72)vibrant bar scene (68)late-night find (36)special occasion (27)kid-friendly (20)great for outdoor dining (20)romantic (17)notable wine list (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I had been to The Smith East Village before and loved the food. I knew that the drinks were well made and the service was always good. They accommodated for a large group extremely well. The food and drinks came out in a timely, and we did not feel rushed whatsoever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have been eating here at least once a month for years and never had a bad experience - the food and service have always been great. Among our favorites are the mushroom omelet, the fried chicken and waffles (Wed. evening only), gnocchi (we share as an appetizer), pork chop, burger, brick chicken, and mediterranean salad. Our only complaint is the noise level which makes conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Fun, casual atmosphere for after work or with a group of friends. Definitely on the loud side but in a fun way! Food was very good and very good service as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014Biscuits and gravy, delish. Salmon Benedict, standard. One complimentary cocktail is nice. Good service, but noisy. Definitely make a res, and tell everyone to show up on time, they won't seat you until the whole party is thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Energetic Food very good Had trout which was very nicely prepared Sampled pasta that my wife ordered which was very tasty as well Young enthusiastic crowd Very welcoming and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Live The Smith!SkeeterDined on 8/16/2014Went to The Smith in May with visiting friends. Had the Shrimp which are seated on a bed of the most dleicious creamy jalapeno (not too spicy either) grits. These grits are soooo good they're available as a side dish as well. If I wasn't in a restaurant full of people I would've licked the plate. Also they have some great cocktails too. The Moscow Mule is my favorite. It's vodka, ginger beer and lime. Resfreshing with a kick. All in all a great place to eat and they seated us in a booth as requested. Back in the '80s I was love The Smiths now I Love The Smith Restaurant.Special Features:
- Too noisyFeliciaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food and service were ok but way too noisy. Sound bounces off the tiled wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchJeevesDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service as usual. Drank less than I normally do at brunch, and it was STILL great.Special Features:
- A local favouritetraceyaustralia9744Dined on 8/15/2014I love this place. It was the first restaurant I went to in NYC and now it's my local favourite. I just keep going back. The food and vibe are fun and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014I love the smith! My friend and i were visiting the city and stopped in for brunch! We both had such a lovely experience! If either of us are back in the city we will be stopping again without a doubtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2014I have been to The Smith several times, at all three of their locations - each and every time I have had great service, delicious food, and a damn good cocktail to go with it.Special Features:
- Great for foodies not conversation!CraveTastyDined on 8/8/2014The food was delicious and service fantastic. I went here to meet friends I hadn't seen in a while and we wanted to catch up...bad choice for those who want to converse because it got so loud.Special Features:
- Solid upscale comfort foodBnycVIPDined on 8/4/2014Good pitstop when you're craving some upscale comfortable food in casual yet nice surroundings in the east villageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Lobster RollsJannVIPDined on 8/3/2014The lobster rolls for brunch were extremely flavorful and satisfying. Lots of fresh lobster with tarragon, lemon aioli and small seeded & diced bits of tomato that were a surprisingly nice addition. House made Old Bay chips are also a winner. The only down side is the noise level.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The food is always excellent and the service is always outstanding. You guys have the best wait staff and a super fun and creative menu!Special Features:
- A Fun Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014It was our 1st experience at The Smith and it was exceptional! The vibe of the place is just pure fun. Loved the wait staff. And the variety of dishes was excellent. Don't miss the portobello fries and the black pasta! Outstanding!!!!Special Features:
- delicious brunch!mh47VIPDined on 7/27/2014everything I have had here has been delicious! the latka eggs benedict, hot potato chips with cheese, french toast, sicilian eggs, coffee and bloody marys are all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delayed, but DeliciousplatespottingVIPDined on 7/26/2014Despite having an 8:30 reservation, we were seated at 9pm since our table was still occupied by the previous guests. That was really annoying; however, the food came out promptly and delicious. The bone-in rib eye with chimichurri is a winner!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Such a fun place for someone who isn't a foodie but loves an early night vibe.Special Features:
- Lively with great foodCoolCDDined on 7/20/2014The Smith is lively, casual, with a great brunch menu -- somewhat pricey but the quality is excellent -- and attentive, friendly service. A winner if you're looking for a place to meet friends or being out-of-town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place every time I goMrCEVIPDined on 7/18/2014I love going to the Smith. It's always has great food. It's affordable. I have never had anything there that I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert at The SmithFunDessert072104Dined on 7/18/2014My daughter and I enjoyed the visit for the dessert. Fun atmosphere. Great Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cpZolerDined on 7/17/2014A great place for big groups and for birthdays. The food is good, the environment is youthful and trendy, and the service is great.Special Features:
- Love the Smith!kelsosboDined on 7/12/2014The Smith is one of my favorite places in the East Village. The food is great, the decor is cool, and it's great when they open up the front of the restaurant in the summer so you're half inside and half outside. For an appetizer I recommend the cauliflower flat bread, the mac and cheese, or the oysters. For an entree I really recommend the salmon! Also, the side of brussel sprouts is delicious - perfectly seasoned and the right amount of crispy.Special Features:
- too loudgaminetteDined on 7/12/2014The food was really good, but be prepared to either shout or eat in silence because whomever you're dining with won't be able to hear you over the street traffic (both car and pedestrian) and the other diners who are shouting to each other. The staff was super nice and the food was great, but I won't be going here again.Special Features:
- BobbieDined on 7/9/2014OK food..OK service.Not impressed.The waitress was MIA, much of the time. The special that night was fried chicken and the waitress suggested it.The meat was fatty and the breading was an inch thick and not very flavorful, Won't go back.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/8/2014I've been to The Smith several times and it was delicious as always. I had the tuna tartare and I love the kale quinoa salad and added salmon on top. For drinks I had a special Watermelon - Cucumber cocktail and I loved it, it was really refreshing. The service was great. The only thing I think they need to improve on is the bread. They don't get you that much bread and I feel like it doesn't look fancy being served in a white paper back. If they put it in a basket it would be much nicer (and wouldn't waste paper!) It also was pretty loud in there - I think if they had more table dividers it would hold the sound better.
- Never had a bad experienceColleenVIPDined on 7/5/2014The Smith is consistently solid in every way. Their food is excellent. Their service is always great. This is the third Smith I've been to, and it did not disappoint. I highly recommend it for brunch, lunch, or dinner. You just can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Perfect.LovedItDined on 7/4/2014We were in NYC for a week and loved the smith so much that we went back two times. Lauren was an excellent waitress and went above and beyond for my friend and I. The food was so delicious and exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatComfortVIPDined on 7/1/2014We weren't focused on limiting calories, and our reservations were at a tricky time for most restaurants (2 pm). We had the fried string beans - great tempura batter with enough salt that the Ranch dressing wasn't required. Then the chicken pot pie and trout schnitzel to follow - excellent. Their Moscow Mule wasn't good and wasn't served in a copper mug, so skip it. They did better with the Gimlet. The service had a sluggish start but improved somewhat over the course of the meal. The restaurant opens to the street but it's in a particularly busy area, so it's not a great outdoor dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnermitfoodluvrDined on 6/29/2014I brought a group of friends to The Smith for my 21st birthday dinner. The food was a bit pricey but the food was worth the cost. Thanks for the enjoyable meal!Special Features:
- Wonderful Bruncheast7thDined on 6/29/2014Everyone was great. We were sat quickly, our server was attentive, the food was wonderful and we were able to enjoy our conversation.Special Features:
- Solid choice for a casual mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/24/2014Upscale comfort food with choices for people who'd like something lighter - good salads (kale is excellent), fish (like the trout schnitzel). Drinks are good. Service is friendly and generally efficient. Biggest problem is noise level which makes conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy to enjoy mealAA0728Dined on 6/24/2014This is by far the nosiest restaurant in Manhattan. Although our wait staff tried to "scream" the specials to our table, most of our requests were obviously not heard as we had to send one dish back twice! They were gracious about it but they should refrain from opening the front of the restaurant as the truck noise from the street is unbearable Its too bad because the food could be enjoyed more if you could hear yourself think and if you did not have to dissuade the people walking up to the table and pan handling! Probably a better place to go for a drink or in cooler months when the restaurant is not open to street. This was an awful experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/22/2014Food has gone downhill....this used to be a great neighborhood spot, but the burger bun was stale, the BLT&E soggy and not very appetizing.
- Great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Went here for brunch and it was great. Good food, great homemade soda, good service and a nice place.Special Features:
- Great brunch experienceDaniDined on 6/22/2014Five of us sat at a booth for a delicious brunch, complete with accomodating and pleasant staff, great music in the background and a picture booth ($3 for 4 snapshots) downstairs near the bathroom. Also - the bathroom's many stalls are completely sealed off separate spacious little rooms. Lovely.Special Features:
- LOUD but solidOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/17/2014Great salads, good variety of choices, professional service, and daily special is a good deal. BUT IT'S VERY LOUD. Of course, loud translate into a fun, energizing, hip vibe. Just be prepared.Special Features:
- Yum Yum YumNikkiCDined on 6/14/2014Had a nice meal at the Smith on a Saturday night. Our waitress was very attentive and nice. The food was delicious - especially the pork chop with the braised Kale and flapjacks - it was cooked perfectly. The banana cream pie in a jar was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service excellentWayneNYCDined on 6/13/2014The Smith truly delivers! Everything that I and others have tried has been excellent. The pork chops are cooked perfectly and are simply delicious. The lobster rolls (a special on Fridays) are excellent. I love grits, and The Smith's jalapeno cheddar grits are the best - creamy and very flavorful. The service is also friendly and very efficient. Like everyone notes, the restaurant can get quite noisy so it is not the place for a quite, intimate dinner, but otherwise, The Smith is truly the real deal for a great meal in a fun, energetic atmosphere.Special Features: