The Smith - East Village
55 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - East Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124209800x
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 8 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 8 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 9:30 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 9:30 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Special Events: Please inquire for details
A word from The Smith - East Village
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Smith - East Village reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (124)good for groups (115)neighborhood gem (96)hot spot (95)fit for foodies (78)great for lunch (76)vibrant bar scene (66)late-night find (31)special occasion (25)great for outdoor dining (20)romantic (19)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014The atmosphere was cool and calm. The service was great, everyone was very accommodating. We sat right outside in the early evening and there were enough people going by to make it entertaining but not distracting or too loud. The only thing we found a little odd was that the table was very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!marisanycDined on 10/25/2014I'm a big foodie. I love living in New York almost solely for the dining experiences. The Smith had it all. Great food, friendly staff and an amazing ambiance. The decor almost felt like early 1900s. The food was absolutely delicious, especially the calamari and string bean fries. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Smith- Lower East SideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Thankfully the food is worth the wait! I had made a reservation a few days in advance and yet my group and I still had to wait about 20 minutes for our table to be ready.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood find!BobbyDined on 10/25/2014Very good food and filled with Village people, not uptown people. Noisier than expected, but everyone loved their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- huh? hold on I am eating.tastyDined on 10/10/2014It was so loud it was difficult to hear anything including the waitstaff but food was good. Must try the ricotta gnocchi! !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but noisyHikechickVIPDined on 10/9/2014We loved our food (2 of us has the shrimp and grits and 1 had the steak salad) but it was very noisy and hard to converse. However, I would recommend and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for work meetingTeushayDined on 10/9/2014I went to the Smith two consecutive days. The first time was for a business meeting. I asked to be sat in the back where I can get more privacy and also make use of a spare table. I had to do a computer demo. They nicely accommodated. There was wifi. I had everything I needed. The meeting went awesome. It was a late lunch meeting so I ended up drinking 3 beers. I went the next day for another business meeting, though this time the business partner bailed in the last second. It was mid morning so I ended up just staying and getting brunch on my own. I had the steak and eggs. Surprised the stead was a better cut than your typical breakfast steak. I ordered it medium rare; was done perfectly.Special Features:
- food was great, coffee is yummmmcsdstyleVIPDined on 10/9/2014Stopped in for brunch on the day we arrived and went back the next day for a coffee. Great food, fantastic atmosphere. I love the open wall where you can sit, people watch and enjoy the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable foodjfoodhVIPDined on 10/4/2014Always a good choice Food is always good Service is very good Only complaint is the bread before the meal is disappointingSpecial Features:
- Solid PlaceCHARCHIMVIPDined on 10/4/2014First time trying the EV location, I have been to midtown before. Food is always great @ The Smith, and the atmosphere is awesome. Did a great job with the service as well. Keep it up!Special Features:
- Love The Smith!BrianNYVIPDined on 10/3/2014I've been going to a The Smith since it opened and it continues to be a go to place. My server, Lauren, was really wonderful and between that quality service and equally wonderful food, I keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!BigEatersFromMDDined on 10/3/2014We were a group of 10 for early dinner. Hostess and wait staff were very friendly, accommodating and attentive. The ambiance was fun and frenetic but not over the top. Food was excellent! Starters were very tasty and well presented. Entrees: we are a very sharing group so I got to taste several of the selections. I can recommend the trout shnitzel, house made cavatelli with brazed shortribs, and the house made potato chips with blue cheese dip. We'll definitely go back next time we're in Noho!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ModeratemelgDined on 10/1/2014I've been to The Smith on multiple occasions and multiple locations. I enjoy the East Village location because of its proximity to the trendy and vibrant neighborhood, but the restaurant set up doesn't make much sense and it's uncomfortably crammed. My friend and I were escorted to a corner booth where those next to us were required to essentially part the seas of their tables to let us into our assigned corner. This part of the experience was not at all enjoyable nor was it comfortable. The food was great, as it always is at The Smith. Our server was nice, not spectacular, and our seating arrangement was disappointing. I much prefer the Lincoln Center or Midtown East locations to East Village - truly a better dining experience each time.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedVardaDined on 9/28/2014Good food, good ambiance. We return to this place each time we are in NY.Special Features:
- Lively downtown casualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We love The Smith and this was our first time in the downtown location near Union Square, which was also great. The server made a mistake with our order but apologized and was willing to give us something else in exchange. Food is consistently good and fresh. I like that they have still and sparkling water bottles at the table, and good coffee drinks. Great for weekends, brunch, lunch, dinner and a movie.Special Features:
- not bad but too loudPartyof4Dined on 9/26/2014I've gotten too old! I can't take the loudness. However, food was good and service okay. A bit too salty but workers very nice. I would like to come back at Brunch instead of a Friday night. Ha. Will try again.Special Features:
- super loud!Bourbon92VIPDined on 9/25/2014the din in this place is pretty daunting. The food is fine, and the service is super-friendly and efficient. The Smith does a great business and they handle the crowds smoothly.Special Features:
- Extremely loud & incredibly close!IloveIceCreamDined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend and I went to the smith on a Saturday around 2:30. We got seated quickly because we had a reservation but the place was packed! Not suprising as the food is incredible here. However, it is definitely not the place for a leisurely brunch. We could hardly hear one another and we were practically on top of the table next to us. The smith is great for a solid tasty brunch but not if you are trying to catch up or be romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeefamilyDined on 9/18/2014Wonderful service. Wonderful food. We will go back when back in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ally26Ally27Dined on 9/17/2014The place was very busy and so loud I could hardly have a conversation with my partner. The food was ok, nothing extraordinary. The service was good but it was difficult to hear the waiter over all the noise. Definitely not a place for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Go for Drinks and Starters not MainKbulmerDined on 9/12/2014Go for drinks and starters not a main course. Starting the night we both had a speciality muddled drink at the bar as we were waiting for our table. They were great and had our hopes high for what was to come. After sitting at our table we ordered the warm potato chips with blue cheese fondu. It was excellent! We both ordered a main course, the Mac and cheese and the Steak salad; what a disappointment! It was bland and definitely less than expected. The server didn't follow up and we both didn't eat half of our dinner. I wouldn't recommend going for anything other than drinks and starters.Special Features:
- Too loudinstagramfoodieDined on 9/12/2014Overall, good food and fun spot. But the east village location tends to be a too loud for my taste. You should be able to hear your friends during dinner time.Special Features:
- ridiculously noisy!sa1209Dined on 9/9/2014We were a party of 5 and when I made the reservation I specifically mentioned I was with 2 firefighters and a widow. We had to scream at each all through dinner. Food was great but left with a headache. The Lincoln Center location is much better!
- BuzzingCharlieDined on 9/6/2014Vibrant place-great atmosphere. Full of people having a great time. Service prompt and food good-steak very flavoursom. House Savignon not the best but overall a very enjoyable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Bourbon selectionsPMortem777Dined on 9/6/2014Got there early (6:00) on a Saturday, before going to a show. The place was quiet. We asked the hostess if we had time to grab a drink and she was very nice and accommodating. When we sat down we had a great waiter (Mark). He gave us several recommendations, several of which we chose. The food was great and had just enough experimentation to make it interesting. If you are a bourbon fan, there is a nice selection (about 15 different options). As we were leaving (8:30), the place was getting packed. It looks like it is a younger crowd and it does get loud, but the food and bourbon make the place well worth it.Special Features:
- 3 LocationsExcellentVIPDined on 9/6/2014Been to 3 locations in NYC and love each one. Keep coming back. Everything excellent.Special Features:
- They never get it wrong...SerraDined on 9/6/2014For Brunch, it is the place to go to! Croaker and the pancakes... They are our go to food every time we go to The Smith... French toast is also fluffy and soft. You really cannot go wrong in this place... Make sure to go there hungry :) It is pretty loud both in Midtown and Lower East Side location, but funny enough, you get used to it in ten minutes (ask to be seated downstairs of the Lower East Side location if you like a little piece of quiet)Special Features:
- Consistently goodSShipleyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Live in the area and needed a last minute brunch idea for out-of-town friends. The food was, as usual, great and the place is always full of energy. Glad we went...however it is so loud, so don't go during the rush if you want a chill spot. Made a reservation bc the wait-time for walk-ins is usually stupid.Special Features:
- FunrobmDined on 9/6/2014Had brunch here with some family friends, it was really really great. Food was good, service was fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!bglutenfreeDined on 9/5/2014A bit loud, but the service is great and the food is delicious!! Great variety and they are good about catering to individual preferences! Very enjoyable experience! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy as alwaysFormerButterFanVIPDined on 8/31/2014Consistently good food, nice brunch spot. Both Union Square and UWS locations.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I had been to The Smith East Village before and loved the food. I knew that the drinks were well made and the service was always good. They accommodated for a large group extremely well. The food and drinks came out in a timely, and we did not feel rushed whatsoever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have been eating here at least once a month for years and never had a bad experience - the food and service have always been great. Among our favorites are the mushroom omelet, the fried chicken and waffles (Wed. evening only), gnocchi (we share as an appetizer), pork chop, burger, brick chicken, and mediterranean salad. Our only complaint is the noise level which makes conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningprincessDined on 8/21/2014Fun, casual atmosphere for after work or with a group of friends. Definitely on the loud side but in a fun way! Food was very good and very good service as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014Biscuits and gravy, delish. Salmon Benedict, standard. One complimentary cocktail is nice. Good service, but noisy. Definitely make a res, and tell everyone to show up on time, they won't seat you until the whole party is thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Energetic Food very good Had trout which was very nicely prepared Sampled pasta that my wife ordered which was very tasty as well Young enthusiastic crowd Very welcoming and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Live The Smith!SkeeterDined on 8/16/2014Went to The Smith in May with visiting friends. Had the Shrimp which are seated on a bed of the most dleicious creamy jalapeno (not too spicy either) grits. These grits are soooo good they're available as a side dish as well. If I wasn't in a restaurant full of people I would've licked the plate. Also they have some great cocktails too. The Moscow Mule is my favorite. It's vodka, ginger beer and lime. Resfreshing with a kick. All in all a great place to eat and they seated us in a booth as requested. Back in the '80s I was love The Smiths now I Love The Smith Restaurant.Special Features:
- Too noisyFeliciaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food and service were ok but way too noisy. Sound bounces off the tiled wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchJeevesDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service as usual. Drank less than I normally do at brunch, and it was STILL great.Special Features:
- A local favouritetraceyaustralia9744Dined on 8/15/2014I love this place. It was the first restaurant I went to in NYC and now it's my local favourite. I just keep going back. The food and vibe are fun and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.