The Smith - East Village
55 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smith - East Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmithnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124209800
- Hours of Operation:
M-W: 8 a.m. – midnight
Th & Fri: 8 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sun: 10 a.m. – midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Special Events: Please inquire for details
A word from The Smith - East Village
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Smith - East Village reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (119)good for groups (110)hot spot (94)neighborhood gem (93)great for lunch (73)fit for foodies (72)vibrant bar scene (66)late-night find (31)special occasion (26)romantic (22)great for outdoor dining (20)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Lively downtown casualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We love The Smith and this was our first time in the downtown location near Union Square, which was also great. The server made a mistake with our order but apologized and was willing to give us something else in exchange. Food is consistently good and fresh. I like that they have still and sparkling water bottles at the table, and good coffee drinks. Great for weekends, brunch, lunch, dinner and a movie.Special Features:
- not bad but too loudPartyof4Dined on 9/26/2014I've gotten too old! I can't take the loudness. However, food was good and service okay. A bit too salty but workers very nice. I would like to come back at Brunch instead of a Friday night. Ha. Will try again.Special Features:
- super loud!Bourbon92VIPDined on 9/25/2014the din in this place is pretty daunting. The food is fine, and the service is super-friendly and efficient. The Smith does a great business and they handle the crowds smoothly.Special Features:
- Extremely loud & incredibly close!IloveIceCreamDined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend and I went to the smith on a Saturday around 2:30. We got seated quickly because we had a reservation but the place was packed! Not suprising as the food is incredible here. However, it is definitely not the place for a leisurely brunch. We could hardly hear one another and we were practically on top of the table next to us. The smith is great for a solid tasty brunch but not if you are trying to catch up or be romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeefamilyDined on 9/18/2014Wonderful service. Wonderful food. We will go back when back in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ally26Ally27Dined on 9/17/2014The place was very busy and so loud I could hardly have a conversation with my partner. The food was ok, nothing extraordinary. The service was good but it was difficult to hear the waiter over all the noise. Definitely not a place for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Go for Drinks and Starters not MainKbulmerDined on 9/12/2014Go for drinks and starters not a main course. Starting the night we both had a speciality muddled drink at the bar as we were waiting for our table. They were great and had our hopes high for what was to come. After sitting at our table we ordered the warm potato chips with blue cheese fondu. It was excellent! We both ordered a main course, the Mac and cheese and the Steak salad; what a disappointment! It was bland and definitely less than expected. The server didn't follow up and we both didn't eat half of our dinner. I wouldn't recommend going for anything other than drinks and starters.Special Features:
- Too loudinstagramfoodieDined on 9/12/2014Overall, good food and fun spot. But the east village location tends to be a too loud for my taste. You should be able to hear your friends during dinner time.Special Features:
- ridiculously noisy!sa1209Dined on 9/9/2014We were a party of 5 and when I made the reservation I specifically mentioned I was with 2 firefighters and a widow. We had to scream at each all through dinner. Food was great but left with a headache. The Lincoln Center location is much better!
- BuzzingCharlieDined on 9/6/2014Vibrant place-great atmosphere. Full of people having a great time. Service prompt and food good-steak very flavoursom. House Savignon not the best but overall a very enjoyable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Bourbon selectionsPMortem777Dined on 9/6/2014Got there early (6:00) on a Saturday, before going to a show. The place was quiet. We asked the hostess if we had time to grab a drink and she was very nice and accommodating. When we sat down we had a great waiter (Mark). He gave us several recommendations, several of which we chose. The food was great and had just enough experimentation to make it interesting. If you are a bourbon fan, there is a nice selection (about 15 different options). As we were leaving (8:30), the place was getting packed. It looks like it is a younger crowd and it does get loud, but the food and bourbon make the place well worth it.Special Features:
- 3 LocationsExcellentVIPDined on 9/6/2014Been to 3 locations in NYC and love each one. Keep coming back. Everything excellent.Special Features:
- They never get it wrong...SerraDined on 9/6/2014For Brunch, it is the place to go to! Croaker and the pancakes... They are our go to food every time we go to The Smith... French toast is also fluffy and soft. You really cannot go wrong in this place... Make sure to go there hungry :) It is pretty loud both in Midtown and Lower East Side location, but funny enough, you get used to it in ten minutes (ask to be seated downstairs of the Lower East Side location if you like a little piece of quiet)Special Features:
- Consistently goodSShipleyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Live in the area and needed a last minute brunch idea for out-of-town friends. The food was, as usual, great and the place is always full of energy. Glad we went...however it is so loud, so don't go during the rush if you want a chill spot. Made a reservation bc the wait-time for walk-ins is usually stupid.Special Features:
- FunrobmDined on 9/6/2014Had brunch here with some family friends, it was really really great. Food was good, service was fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!bglutenfreeDined on 9/5/2014A bit loud, but the service is great and the food is delicious!! Great variety and they are good about catering to individual preferences! Very enjoyable experience! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy as alwaysFormerButterFanVIPDined on 8/31/2014Consistently good food, nice brunch spot. Both Union Square and UWS locations.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I had been to The Smith East Village before and loved the food. I knew that the drinks were well made and the service was always good. They accommodated for a large group extremely well. The food and drinks came out in a timely, and we did not feel rushed whatsoever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have been eating here at least once a month for years and never had a bad experience - the food and service have always been great. Among our favorites are the mushroom omelet, the fried chicken and waffles (Wed. evening only), gnocchi (we share as an appetizer), pork chop, burger, brick chicken, and mediterranean salad. Our only complaint is the noise level which makes conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningprincessDined on 8/21/2014Fun, casual atmosphere for after work or with a group of friends. Definitely on the loud side but in a fun way! Food was very good and very good service as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014Biscuits and gravy, delish. Salmon Benedict, standard. One complimentary cocktail is nice. Good service, but noisy. Definitely make a res, and tell everyone to show up on time, they won't seat you until the whole party is thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Energetic Food very good Had trout which was very nicely prepared Sampled pasta that my wife ordered which was very tasty as well Young enthusiastic crowd Very welcoming and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Live The Smith!SkeeterDined on 8/16/2014Went to The Smith in May with visiting friends. Had the Shrimp which are seated on a bed of the most dleicious creamy jalapeno (not too spicy either) grits. These grits are soooo good they're available as a side dish as well. If I wasn't in a restaurant full of people I would've licked the plate. Also they have some great cocktails too. The Moscow Mule is my favorite. It's vodka, ginger beer and lime. Resfreshing with a kick. All in all a great place to eat and they seated us in a booth as requested. Back in the '80s I was love The Smiths now I Love The Smith Restaurant.Special Features:
- Too noisyFeliciaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food and service were ok but way too noisy. Sound bounces off the tiled wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchJeevesDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service as usual. Drank less than I normally do at brunch, and it was STILL great.Special Features:
- A local favouritetraceyaustralia9744Dined on 8/15/2014I love this place. It was the first restaurant I went to in NYC and now it's my local favourite. I just keep going back. The food and vibe are fun and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014I love the smith! My friend and i were visiting the city and stopped in for brunch! We both had such a lovely experience! If either of us are back in the city we will be stopping again without a doubtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2014I have been to The Smith several times, at all three of their locations - each and every time I have had great service, delicious food, and a damn good cocktail to go with it.Special Features:
- Great for foodies not conversation!CraveTastyDined on 8/8/2014The food was delicious and service fantastic. I went here to meet friends I hadn't seen in a while and we wanted to catch up...bad choice for those who want to converse because it got so loud.Special Features:
- Solid upscale comfort foodBnycVIPDined on 8/4/2014Good pitstop when you're craving some upscale comfortable food in casual yet nice surroundings in the east villageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Lobster RollsJannVIPDined on 8/3/2014The lobster rolls for brunch were extremely flavorful and satisfying. Lots of fresh lobster with tarragon, lemon aioli and small seeded & diced bits of tomato that were a surprisingly nice addition. House made Old Bay chips are also a winner. The only down side is the noise level.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The food is always excellent and the service is always outstanding. You guys have the best wait staff and a super fun and creative menu!Special Features:
- A Fun Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014It was our 1st experience at The Smith and it was exceptional! The vibe of the place is just pure fun. Loved the wait staff. And the variety of dishes was excellent. Don't miss the portobello fries and the black pasta! Outstanding!!!!Special Features:
- delicious brunch!mh47VIPDined on 7/27/2014everything I have had here has been delicious! the latka eggs benedict, hot potato chips with cheese, french toast, sicilian eggs, coffee and bloody marys are all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delayed, but DeliciousplatespottingVIPDined on 7/26/2014Despite having an 8:30 reservation, we were seated at 9pm since our table was still occupied by the previous guests. That was really annoying; however, the food came out promptly and delicious. The bone-in rib eye with chimichurri is a winner!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Such a fun place for someone who isn't a foodie but loves an early night vibe.Special Features:
- Lively with great foodCoolCDDined on 7/20/2014The Smith is lively, casual, with a great brunch menu -- somewhat pricey but the quality is excellent -- and attentive, friendly service. A winner if you're looking for a place to meet friends or being out-of-town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place every time I goMrCEVIPDined on 7/18/2014I love going to the Smith. It's always has great food. It's affordable. I have never had anything there that I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert at The SmithFunDessert072104Dined on 7/18/2014My daughter and I enjoyed the visit for the dessert. Fun atmosphere. Great Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cpZolerDined on 7/17/2014A great place for big groups and for birthdays. The food is good, the environment is youthful and trendy, and the service is great.Special Features: