26 Bond St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmilenyc.com/
- Phone: 6463295836
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch: Monday - Friday | 8:00AM - 4:30PM Saturday & Sunday | 10:00AM - 4:30PM Dinner: Monday - Sunday | 6:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Melia Marden
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Smile
Tucked away in a landmarked 1830s townhouse on picturesque Bond Street, The Smile is the perfect setting for delicious food in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. The Smile's American/Mediterranean menu is seasonally focused and designed by executive chef and former art world caterer, Melia Marden. While popular with the lunch and coffee crowd, "the dimly lit, wood-ceilinged space feels even more charming and tavernesque at night." The restaurant is open seven days serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Smile reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)romantic (21)fit for foodies (19)great for brunch (7)good for groups (7)special occasion (7)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just dreadfulfoodfanaticDined on 10/18/2014I never write a bad review, but while we ate this very poorly served and tasteless meal, we actually wished we were food critics so as to crush this terrible restaurant. The food was not actually bad, it was just so tasteless and uninspired that it would be a poor offering from a home cook. Don't go!
- OverratedLiniDined on 10/9/2014I'm not sure why people come to this restaurant, other than a good location and a pleasant atmosphere. The wine list was short and way over-priced (a small glass of Chianti for $16?) and each dish we ordered was more bland and forgettable than the one before it (not to mention not hot). And, to top it off, we were asked to vacate our table in order to accommodate a large group, without any accommodation for us. So not a place I will ever go back to, and I wouldn't recommend it either.Special Features:
- No Smile HereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/5/2014Where to begin? I don't understand the rave reviews for the food here -- none of the four dishes we tried were anything special (when we finally got them after nearly an hour on a slow night) and the iced tea (or tea-scented ice water) was charged by the serving. Service was haphazard -- our server never returned to the table after taking our order. Astonishingly, the room started to become smoke filled from the open kitchen and the staff's solution was to open the front door (where we were seated) and turn on the air conditioner in the rear on a very chilly night. When I objected they moved us while explaining that the kitchen did not have an exhaust fan! I don't have sensitive eyes at all but they were stinging by the time we left.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We had a lovely evening! The food was delicious and the atmosphere was great! It was cozy and warm. I loved the quinoa bowl with squash and egg!Special Features:
- Delicious ambiance, great cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/25/2014This is just the most delicious ambiance, quite literally the coziest restaurant in NYC. Loved their Stawberry Fields cocktail with Thai chili infused vodka. Seasonal menu is great too - got the kale salad and plum cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Smile (Noho)LizaVIPDined on 9/22/2014Tucked away a few steps below street level, you’ll find The Smile, a hybrid general store and cafe; however, no one goes to shop; they go to eat in the artfully rustic atmosphere. With the music low and the tone conversational, this dimly lit, wood-ceilinged space emits a charming and tavernesque feel that is perfect for a meal with friends, family or a date. In addition, this ‘straunt is great for GF and vegetarian foodies! The owners, Carlos Quirarte and Matt Kliegman, are the duo behind the Jane hotel ballroom and Westway. Ideal meal: Moroccan lamb meatballs and spaghetti & heirloom tomato sauce with fresh mozzarella & basil Read my full review: http://wp.me/p4iPrh-9CSpecial Features:
- Food Excellent; Other Not so Much!NYCTINADined on 9/12/2014The food, as always was outstanding - the freshness, the wonderful flavors! Some very odd things though - first, I had requested a quiet table. Although there were many tables in corners when we arrived, we were told they were all reserved and we were put in the MIDDLE of the restaurant in the NOISIEST possible place with a strong freezing draft on my shoulders for the whole meal. Impossible to hear across the table. EXACTLY what I didn't want! Then, we ordered a bottle of rose. We were told they only had 2 bottles left & would keep them to sell by the glass! So,you HAVE 2 bottles, but we can't have one of them! Then just say you're out. It put a real damper on the meal - I was embarrassed since I had recommended The Smile.Special Features:
- Incredible foodNYCTINADined on 8/1/2014The food was just amazing - the corn alone is worth the visit!! The service was great. The only downside was that by the time we left, we had to SCREAM to be heard - just ruins a dinner for me. I don't understand why restaurants cultivate that. It did make us leave faster so maybe that explains it.Special Features:
- Brought a smile to my face!CaseyTDined on 7/23/2014Wow! Really great food and a fun, young staff. My two friends and I split the plum crostini and marinated goat cheese to start. Then we all shared the mussels, lamb meatball entree, and arugula and roasted tomato salad. We were so thrilled with the whole meal and completely stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is incredible.ExperiencedDined on 7/8/2014Great service, great food my only complaint was the temperature but it was an insanely hot day. Their cocktails were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsF4356Dined on 6/27/2014Love love the dips & the brisket! This restaurant is always on my hit list to go to when in NYCSpecial Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the The Smile reviews archive.
- Refreshing experienceLovetoEatDined on 6/24/2014We had a very good meal here. Good service and food. My plum crostini was well prepared and the ricotta fresh and delicious. It is a manhattan restaurant with a very Brooklyn vibe and was a fun place for a girls dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousPrincess7VIPDined on 6/18/2014My first dining experience at The Smile was delicious. I had the tomato salad and arctic char and both absolutely divine. Fresh and lovely. Did not love our seating....in back against wall....tiny and cramped.....but that can easily be improved on our next visit. ha. Highly recommend. And I've heard their brunch is amazing! Cannot wait to try it.Special Features:
- thursday night - a bit noisy...azaleaDined on 6/5/2014but, for this neighborhood it isn't bad. over-priced mediocre glass of wine, but again, it's the neighborhood....Special Features:
- really great foodnoonisVIPDined on 6/4/2014Such great food. The desserts took a long time to appear but were very worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/1/2014The best part of our evening was the food. Fresh, well-plated and very tasty. Our server was competent, attentive, and thoughtful.
- highly recommandablenewyorkloverDined on 5/23/2014First time I went to the smile and didn't get disappointed. People are extremely friendly and make you feel at home immediately. Super nice food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood findCKNYCDined on 5/14/2014Cute rustic, romantic vibe here. Good selection of appetizers and entrees - the menus has a good selection of seasonal vegetable items as well, which is nice. Specialty drinks are tasty, wine portions are pretty small. The only thing I've had here that I wouldn't oder again was the Tartare, which was a bit mealy and tasteless.Special Features:
- Enjoyable but lacking in some areasdinnerdateDined on 5/9/2014Nice restaurant aesthetic. Overall, the vibe was casual and approachable, unlike higher-end or really trendy places. The appetizers-lamb meatballs and kale salad- arrived room-temperature and undercooked, respectively. We shared the brisket and the pork loin for mains, and we liked both, although they were somewhat sweet for meat dishes. The hosting staff was incredibly helpful and friendly both over-the-phone and in person, but the service at the table was inattentive and somewhat frustrating. We were never able to get water refills nor locate our server. Go here for a laid-back evening where you and your friends can here yourselves talk. But don't expect to be "wow"ed by the food, wine, or service.Special Features:
- Lovely!nathalieparkerDined on 5/7/2014Delightfully rustic! Service was lovely and food was delicious. The old fashioned was, too, quite marvelous. Absolutely recommend!Special Features:
- Loved it.PantsThatDineDined on 4/25/2014What a gem! Great coffee beverages. And although the menu is small, nothing disappointed. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually I love this placemelovescakeDined on 4/23/2014But last night, I was very disappointed. I called in the afternoon to put in a comment for our reservation to send a dessert with a candle after our dinner for my boyfriend's birthday. Just to make sure that the comment was definitely left, I secretly asked the hostess during our meal and she confirmed that it was. At the end of dinner.. my server forgot. We said no to the dessert menu, got the bill, paid it. nothing. I went over to the hostess again. She then relayed the message to the server (for supposedly the 4rth time) to send over a dessert with a candle. At the very end before we were leaving.. it came. At this point, he knew it was coming and the surprise that I so much tried to make happen was spoiled. Frustrating.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014We found the food bland and overpriced. At first the prices appeared moderate but there were no sides included. We even had to pay for bread. Do not know why people called it a neighborhood gem. Would suggest you go elsewhere.
- Very cuteYumtownDined on 4/14/2014Collard green salad is wonderful. Sausage in the orrecciette special was the best sausage I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurant withrofreDined on 4/12/2014Very nice restaurant with good service. Good price-quality ratio. Nice portions, only too much ' gelato' for dessert but that's a minor detail.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014My date and I loved it. Everything from the wine to the entrées and following coffee was on point. Quite noisey but it added to the energy of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- space=small/tight; food/flavor=bigBigmaBrooklynDined on 3/7/2014small and tight in space BUT food was big in flavor. drink selection was so-so.Special Features:
- Smiling from ear to earChhrriDined on 3/6/2014Quite possibly the best restaurant experience I've had in New York City. We were greeted warmly by the hostess, our server was prompt and attentive, and the menu is phenomenal. The minted sugar snap peas and the trio of dips are something I could eat every night. The entrees and wine list are thoughtfully chosen, and the vibe is great. Highly recommended. So good in fact, that I would go back - in a city with more restaurants than anyone can possibly try in a lifetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Bowery GemWendyDined on 3/1/2014Charming, vibrant restaurant scene with great menu! Loved the brussel sprouts! We asked for a quiet table in the corner and got one where we could converse and see the bustling crowd. I definitely recommend this neighborhood jewel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious night outMeatLoverDined on 2/28/2014This was a fantastic place to eat. And we really enjoyed our dining experience. The entrees were delicious. My pork chop was cooked nearly rare and you could really enjoy the sweet meat complimented by the house made apple sauce. Our one complaint with the food was that the entrees were meat heavy with little vegetable matter on the plate. Had we not ordered the additional salad the whole meal would have been almost exclusively meat. Still a huge fan though and can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend The Smile!AtozDined on 2/21/2014Highly recommend The Smile! I actually visited twice in ten days! And everyone must try the cauliflower crumble, it's so so so delicious!Special Features:
- Apple almond upside down cake!MFEEatsDined on 2/17/2014Scrumptious! Although all the food was outstanding, I will dream of this cake until I return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentines. It's one of the few places that had last minute openings. It is very cute and cozy inside. Food was very good. We had the cauliflower crostini, lamb meatballs and the pork chop and all was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayMelKDined on 2/14/2014Food was okay, but overpriced. Service was mediocre at best. Difficult to get the waitress to give us the time of day. Won't return.
- love itaisle7Dined on 2/7/2014great comfort good, love the rustic interior. service is sometimes not so attentive, but that's ok, goes with the laid-back vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Winter Spotaep2011Dined on 2/5/2014Love this restaurant - a great spot during the cold months and always good food and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Literally Worst Service EverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2014I come here often, but this was the first time I visited in the evening. Our waitress was surly from the beginning, and rushed us to order the second we sat down. We ordered our appetizer and our entree at the same time, the appetizer came out quickly, and we then proceeded to sit and wait for our entree for FOURTY FIVE MINUTES. We were seated at 7:25, and it was literally 8:40pm by the time our entrees came. We were seated in the rear of the restaurant, and were one of two couples when to be seated when we first arrived. The dining room filled, with 6 other tables being sat after us. EVERY SINGLE TABLE, INCLUDING A 6 TOP, WAS SERVED THEIR ENTREE BEFORE WE WERE. When I asked why it took so long, the waitress ignored me. We won't be backSpecial Features:
- Rustic and super romantic.LilItalynycVIPDined on 1/17/2014Rustic and super romantic. Had a great date night here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2014The Smile has always been my go to for a dim lit lovely atmosphere which includes wonderful cocktails and healthy hearty foodSpecial Features:
- Cozy nook on Hip Street.shelken1202VIPDined on 1/11/2014Has a local neighborhood feel on the most hip street inNoHo. Have had brunch and dinner both were equally inspired menus and dish preparations. Seems the tourists have not discovered The Smile neither have the noisy hipsters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.