26 Bond St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesmilenyc.com/
- Phone: 6463295836
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch: Monday - Friday | 8:00AM - 4:30PM Saturday & Sunday | 10:00AM - 4:30PM Dinner: Monday - Sunday | 6:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Melia Marden
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Smile
Tucked away in a landmarked 1830s townhouse on picturesque Bond Street, The Smile is the perfect setting for delicious food in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. The Smile's American/Mediterranean menu is seasonally focused and designed by executive chef and former art world caterer, Melia Marden. While popular with the lunch and coffee crowd, "the dimly lit, wood-ceilinged space feels even more charming and tavernesque at night." The restaurant is open seven days serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Smile reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (20)romantic (19)great for brunch (9)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)special occasion (5)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Incredible foodNYCTINADined on 8/1/2014The food was just amazing - the corn alone is worth the visit!! The service was great. The only downside was that by the time we left, we had to SCREAM to be heard - just ruins a dinner for me. I don't understand why restaurants cultivate that. It did make us leave faster so maybe that explains it.Special Features:
- Brought a smile to my face!CaseyTDined on 7/23/2014Wow! Really great food and a fun, young staff. My two friends and I split the plum crostini and marinated goat cheese to start. Then we all shared the mussels, lamb meatball entree, and arugula and roasted tomato salad. We were so thrilled with the whole meal and completely stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is incredible.ExperiencedDined on 7/8/2014Great service, great food my only complaint was the temperature but it was an insanely hot day. Their cocktails were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsF4356Dined on 6/27/2014Love love the dips & the brisket! This restaurant is always on my hit list to go to when in NYCSpecial Features:
- Refreshing experienceLovetoEatDined on 6/24/2014We had a very good meal here. Good service and food. My plum crostini was well prepared and the ricotta fresh and delicious. It is a manhattan restaurant with a very Brooklyn vibe and was a fun place for a girls dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousPrincess7VIPDined on 6/18/2014My first dining experience at The Smile was delicious. I had the tomato salad and arctic char and both absolutely divine. Fresh and lovely. Did not love our seating....in back against wall....tiny and cramped.....but that can easily be improved on our next visit. ha. Highly recommend. And I've heard their brunch is amazing! Cannot wait to try it.Special Features:
- thursday night - a bit noisy...azaleaDined on 6/5/2014but, for this neighborhood it isn't bad. over-priced mediocre glass of wine, but again, it's the neighborhood....Special Features:
- really great foodnoonisVIPDined on 6/4/2014Such great food. The desserts took a long time to appear but were very worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/1/2014The best part of our evening was the food. Fresh, well-plated and very tasty. Our server was competent, attentive, and thoughtful.
- highly recommandablenewyorkloverDined on 5/23/2014First time I went to the smile and didn't get disappointed. People are extremely friendly and make you feel at home immediately. Super nice food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood findCKNYCDined on 5/14/2014Cute rustic, romantic vibe here. Good selection of appetizers and entrees - the menus has a good selection of seasonal vegetable items as well, which is nice. Specialty drinks are tasty, wine portions are pretty small. The only thing I've had here that I wouldn't oder again was the Tartare, which was a bit mealy and tasteless.Special Features:
- Enjoyable but lacking in some areasdinnerdateDined on 5/9/2014Nice restaurant aesthetic. Overall, the vibe was casual and approachable, unlike higher-end or really trendy places. The appetizers-lamb meatballs and kale salad- arrived room-temperature and undercooked, respectively. We shared the brisket and the pork loin for mains, and we liked both, although they were somewhat sweet for meat dishes. The hosting staff was incredibly helpful and friendly both over-the-phone and in person, but the service at the table was inattentive and somewhat frustrating. We were never able to get water refills nor locate our server. Go here for a laid-back evening where you and your friends can here yourselves talk. But don't expect to be "wow"ed by the food, wine, or service.Special Features:
- Lovely!nathalieparkerDined on 5/7/2014Delightfully rustic! Service was lovely and food was delicious. The old fashioned was, too, quite marvelous. Absolutely recommend!Special Features:
- The following 111 reviews are from the The Smile reviews archive.
- Usually I love this placemelovescakeDined on 4/23/2014But last night, I was very disappointed. I called in the afternoon to put in a comment for our reservation to send a dessert with a candle after our dinner for my boyfriend's birthday. Just to make sure that the comment was definitely left, I secretly asked the hostess during our meal and she confirmed that it was. At the end of dinner.. my server forgot. We said no to the dessert menu, got the bill, paid it. nothing. I went over to the hostess again. She then relayed the message to the server (for supposedly the 4rth time) to send over a dessert with a candle. At the very end before we were leaving.. it came. At this point, he knew it was coming and the surprise that I so much tried to make happen was spoiled. Frustrating.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014We found the food bland and overpriced. At first the prices appeared moderate but there were no sides included. We even had to pay for bread. Do not know why people called it a neighborhood gem. Would suggest you go elsewhere.
- Very cuteYumtownDined on 4/14/2014Collard green salad is wonderful. Sausage in the orrecciette special was the best sausage I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurant withrofreDined on 4/12/2014Very nice restaurant with good service. Good price-quality ratio. Nice portions, only too much ' gelato' for dessert but that's a minor detail.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014My date and I loved it. Everything from the wine to the entrées and following coffee was on point. Quite noisey but it added to the energy of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- space=small/tight; food/flavor=bigBigmaBrooklynDined on 3/7/2014small and tight in space BUT food was big in flavor. drink selection was so-so.Special Features:
- Smiling from ear to earChhrriDined on 3/6/2014Quite possibly the best restaurant experience I've had in New York City. We were greeted warmly by the hostess, our server was prompt and attentive, and the menu is phenomenal. The minted sugar snap peas and the trio of dips are something I could eat every night. The entrees and wine list are thoughtfully chosen, and the vibe is great. Highly recommended. So good in fact, that I would go back - in a city with more restaurants than anyone can possibly try in a lifetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Bowery GemWendyDined on 3/1/2014Charming, vibrant restaurant scene with great menu! Loved the brussel sprouts! We asked for a quiet table in the corner and got one where we could converse and see the bustling crowd. I definitely recommend this neighborhood jewel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious night outMeatLoverDined on 2/28/2014This was a fantastic place to eat. And we really enjoyed our dining experience. The entrees were delicious. My pork chop was cooked nearly rare and you could really enjoy the sweet meat complimented by the house made apple sauce. Our one complaint with the food was that the entrees were meat heavy with little vegetable matter on the plate. Had we not ordered the additional salad the whole meal would have been almost exclusively meat. Still a huge fan though and can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend The Smile!AtozDined on 2/21/2014Highly recommend The Smile! I actually visited twice in ten days! And everyone must try the cauliflower crumble, it's so so so delicious!Special Features:
- Apple almond upside down cake!MFEEatsDined on 2/17/2014Scrumptious! Although all the food was outstanding, I will dream of this cake until I return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentines. It's one of the few places that had last minute openings. It is very cute and cozy inside. Food was very good. We had the cauliflower crostini, lamb meatballs and the pork chop and all was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayMelKDined on 2/14/2014Food was okay, but overpriced. Service was mediocre at best. Difficult to get the waitress to give us the time of day. Won't return.
- love itaisle7Dined on 2/7/2014great comfort good, love the rustic interior. service is sometimes not so attentive, but that's ok, goes with the laid-back vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Winter Spotaep2011Dined on 2/5/2014Love this restaurant - a great spot during the cold months and always good food and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Literally Worst Service EverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2014I come here often, but this was the first time I visited in the evening. Our waitress was surly from the beginning, and rushed us to order the second we sat down. We ordered our appetizer and our entree at the same time, the appetizer came out quickly, and we then proceeded to sit and wait for our entree for FOURTY FIVE MINUTES. We were seated at 7:25, and it was literally 8:40pm by the time our entrees came. We were seated in the rear of the restaurant, and were one of two couples when to be seated when we first arrived. The dining room filled, with 6 other tables being sat after us. EVERY SINGLE TABLE, INCLUDING A 6 TOP, WAS SERVED THEIR ENTREE BEFORE WE WERE. When I asked why it took so long, the waitress ignored me. We won't be backSpecial Features:
- Rustic and super romantic.LilItalynycVIPDined on 1/17/2014Rustic and super romantic. Had a great date night here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2014The Smile has always been my go to for a dim lit lovely atmosphere which includes wonderful cocktails and healthy hearty foodSpecial Features:
- Cozy nook on Hip Street.shelken1202VIPDined on 1/11/2014Has a local neighborhood feel on the most hip street inNoHo. Have had brunch and dinner both were equally inspired menus and dish preparations. Seems the tourists have not discovered The Smile neither have the noisy hipsters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute, cozy spot that servesJuliabee73Dined on 1/11/2014Cute, cozy spot that serves up tasty food. Feels a but like stepping into an English pub in an earlier time. The pork chop was delicious, as was my cider cocktail. The bib salad was unremarkable, but the fennel one was really refreshing and tasty. I loved the skates caramel gelato! We had a really friendly waiter. Service was a bit slow, but the food was with the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plenty to smile about!SatanscatsDined on 1/6/2014I frequently pickup lunch at Smile ToGo on Howard St in Soho, & was eager to checkout the original SMILE location for dinner. I was not dissapointed! Adorable atmosphere, GREAT food at great prices, & the same kind of friendly, fun staff I encounter at Smile ToGo. One staff member was even kind enough to chase me & my boyfriend down the street (in 10 degree weather!) because we'd forgotten our umbrella! Will definetly be back! PS- The fantastic cocktail menu was the highlight for me... Tried 4 different ones & each was a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013My third time dining at The Smile was on New Year's Eve. And it was great as the times before.Special Features:
- Very nicePleasedDined on 12/31/2013Came here for New Year's Eve dinner with my boyfriend. We got there at 6pm so there wasn't a big crowd. Ambience was nice & the food was good. I would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FindsydbVIPDined on 12/21/2013Had dinner here before seeing show at Culture Underground. Fairly priced and very tasty food. I had kale salad with chicken and husband had flank steak. Nice ambiance-- warm, cozy feeling. Good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth smiling aboutEvanVIPDined on 12/21/2013Wonderful neighborhood establishment that is always bustling (make a reservation!) and has tremendous food. Service is always a little ambivalent/lacking, but the food and the downright charming atmosphere always make up for it. (i.e. Service is par level, not subpar, but is outshined by the rest of the experience.) Try it. You'll like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful sunday supper!oinkoinkVIPDined on 12/15/2013The place is warm and inviting. The wait staff is friendly. The bread is crunchy yet soft and chewy. The lamb meatballs are to die for. Add to that great company and you're guaranteed the perfect Sunday dinner. I am definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great AtmosphereShirleyJayDined on 12/14/2013Having seen a matinee at the Public, we wanted to catch up with old friends. The Smile was the perfect place--two of us had an amazing combo of squash, cranberry beans, ricotta and an egg on top as the entree, while another had the brisket, and a third a pasta dish--we all relished every morsel, and I want to try to make the squash dish at home. The salads and starters were also fresh and tasty, and we finished it off with some sort of luscious banana concoction for dessert. But what really made our evening was the fact that the noise level was moderate enough that we could hear each other without yelling, despite the fact that the place was, deservedly, packed. It was the happy end of a perfect day for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.