The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar
1312 E 53rd St
Chicago, IL 60615Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thesitdown53.com/
- Phone: 7733243700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm, - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer all sorts of catering options, please contact us directly for further details.
A word from The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar
Working out of two kitchens we offer you, our guest, the option of two different options for your meal. We are a Cafe & Sushi Bar. We offer fresh Sushi prepared in our open kitchen along with a mediteranean inspired cafe menu with such items as our Checken Pesto Sandwich or our Old World Salad. Each end of our menu truly compliments the other. We hope you come by and visit soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (3)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Love Sit Down!!!!formerwaitressDined on 8/1/2014We are so lucky to have this restaurant in our neighborhood! With all the new restaurants that have been opening and then occasionally closing, this restaurant is the best and reminds you why you loving living in Hyde Park.Special Features:
- Don't go for the sushiFoodieDined on 7/13/2014I was looking for a sushi place near by that I could rely on so I gave Sit Down a try. I went in for lunch and ordered their nigiri sushi special. It was very poorly made and I could tell the quality of fish they used was very poor. The fish was also not fresh and I could not finish my dish due to my worry that it might be dangerous for me to continue eating the sushi they served. It was, however, very hot and perhaps they don't have a constant source of supply that allows them to use fresh fish for their sushi. It also didn't help that the workers were eating lunch at the same time right next to my table and they were using their hands... gosh... that was disgusting to see. Overall, very disappointing experience.
- Terrific Gluten-free Choices!cachtoDined on 6/14/2014Fabulous gluten-free selections! Everyone was satisfied with the food. Great choice! The management and wait staff were terrific! It's difficult to find a restaurant that please both those with Celiac and those who don't need gluten-free, but this is one of the best choices I've ever found. The gluten-free bruschetta was fabulous!Special Features:
- Great Varietyhydepark40thDined on 6/6/2014We had a great variety of food among us for lunch...from soup to salad to sushi. It was all good. The service was fine. We were not in a hurray and neither were the waiters. It was the perfect place to meet, eat, and chat.Special Features:
- The following 23 reviews are from the The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- Sitdown is a terrific findOlliesmom1VIPDined on 2/18/2014Sitdown is a terrific find in Hyde Park. The owner Sal is always on hand to make you feel welcome. He features his grandmother's soups and while it may sound strange to mix pizza and sushi, his fish is the among the freshest in the City. If you think Pizza and sushi is a strange mix, don't dis it until you have tried it. He also offers gluten free and vegetarians always find tons to choose from. He offers saki night and half price bottles of wine on one weekday night.Special Features:
- Hyde Park GeodeGypsyDDined on 2/14/2014Finding the restaurant was like looking at a geode. It's what's inside that counts. No ostentatious display; in fact, it was hard to find even with the help of my smart phone and standing outside the door. But the restaurant is filled with warm and welcoming staff serving yummy food. My wife enjoys sushi and similar items. She's ready to go back when we visit Hyde Park again. I had Jambalya Stew and Caprese Salad. Delicious. Stopping then would have left us satisfied, but the dessert selections were so enticing we extended our visit.Special Features:
- A Reliable Gem in Hyde ParkKnongDined on 2/14/2014I love the Sit-Down for its fresh ingredients and variety. Where else can we order from a vast sushi menu AND get a steaming bowl of jambalaya? And they're both fresh and delicious? Great salads, sandwiches, appetizers (love the tempura shrimp as well as the bruschetta), super fresh sushi. Street parking is easy, the staff is helpful and attentive, relatively easy to get a table. Oh, and wonderful desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/4/2014Great apple salad, followed by excellent thin crust pizza and adequate sushi. Had a first date here very early in the evening, so I'm sure it gets louder as the place fills. 3 tables seated whip we were there. I would love to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at a8itallupDined on 1/25/2014My longtime friend and I both turned 60 a few months ago and decided to meet for lunch at SDCSB. We both tried the luncheon specials which are delicious, nutritious, generous and affordable. I chose the Chicken Pesto Sandwich, with berries and 1/2 serving of miso soup with crab. She had the grilled vegetable sandwich with berries and jambalaya. The sandwiches were generous and savory. The berries were pleasantly fresh and sweet. The waitress was welcoming and attentive. The soup was fresh and hot at serving, which was a very pleasant offering on a cold blustery Saturday that preceded the Arctic vortex. Dining was such an enjoybale and pleasant experience. We will be coming back and will bring friends and relatives.Special Features:
- Girls lunchCharDined on 10/15/2013We had a great time but the waitress seemed annoyed and she never brought the salad I ordered.Special Features:
- Yum-yumWindyCityLoVIPDined on 10/12/2013We had yet another great meal as we headed to Hyde Park for an early dinner before a concert on UC campus. Menu really covers the gamut from great salads, sandwiches, pasta, pizza and sushi! Our group had a bit of this and that and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. We have enjoyed SitDown several times now, seeking it out as a HP option to what seems (to us northsiders) rather limited options. So, THANK YOU!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh. too many cream cheese options18thcfoxDined on 9/11/2013Not enough sushi rolls with adventurous stuff...pretty unimaginative. I like hawaiian rolls, things with fruit in them, octupus, squid, etc.
- Creative YUM!WindyCityLoVIPDined on 4/28/2013We come to Hyde Park 3 or 4 times a year for concerts or theatre and have the area a bit lacking in great food places. So we're very happy to have found the Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar since it seems have "something for everyone - AND sushi"! Creative menu, very fresh, generous portions (my hubby and I shared a wonderful apple & greens salad and also a sandwick and were quite satisfied). A woman was seated - on the first warmish day of our very-slow-to-come spring - outside, having a martini and enjoying an appetizer. It was such a delight to see an al fresco adventure. She was so content!! We were, too! We will absolutely return!Special Features:
- SushiShedVIPDined on 4/23/2013Great variety of Sushi and other foods for non-sushi eatersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was just mad that a 15%OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013I was just mad that a 15% service fee was added to my bill when my entire party didn't even show up. Yes I reserved for 10 people but I never got a notification about the service fee and also my entire party didn't even show up. UnacceptableSpecial Features:
- One of my favorite placesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/3/2013One of my favorite places in Hyde Park. Staff is friendly and friendly crowd. I made a reservation (not necessary) and my table was waiting. Our server and everyone was very nice. Although it is known for their sushi they do have other wonderful items on the menu. The jambalaya was delicious and not spicy served with warm bread. The steak sandwich served in a pita bread was wonderful. Please don't leave without having dessert. I had a slice of chocolate cake topped with macadamia nuts. Very rich and you can share it. The best part of it all is that they have Pepsi on their menu (big time kudos for that)! Good place, good food what more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Wide range of choices on menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013Each member of my party commented on how much they enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant and quality of the food. The dessert was particularly outstanding as we all shared two different choices. The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar has a wide range of choices that are suitable for any picky eater, even an entire gluten-free menu. I will definitely be coming back and enjoying other menu items soon!Special Features:
- Sit Down? Don't mind if I do.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2013Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar had amazing martinis and great sushi. Service could be improved slightly, as we were waiting for our waitress a couple of times for requests, but overall, it had great ambiance, was quiet enough to hear each other, but very energetic.Special Features:
- The food was very fresh. LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013The food was very fresh. Love the Gluten Free menu. The place was nice but not too fancy. I was comfortable there in my regular clothes but felt like I was getting something special. It is my new favorite Hyde Park restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2013First timer... Enjoyed the food and the friendly neighborhood atmosphere. Sushi was pretty decent for the price and the night I came was a half off special on bottles of wine. I will come back.Special Features:
- The Sit Down Cafe & SushiNA11VIPDined on 3/16/2013The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar is a good restaurant in Hyde Park. They also serve sandwiches, but I only had the sushi, and it was good. I recommend this place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sit Down cafe is a goodNA11VIPDined on 3/16/2013The Sit Down cafe is a good spot for sushi and sandwiches. Nothing over the top, just a good spot to go to if you are in the area.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)josephisenDined on 3/10/2013This is an amusing, eclectic, restaurant, with food for a wide range of tastes, all good. Often, the restaurant has uni (urchin roe), a great treat for me. The wines are well chosen. At first, the combination of sushi and pizza may seem puzzling, but then when you see families where the parents eat sushi while the kids eat pizza, or groups of more and less adventurous eaters, it all makes sense.Special Features:
- We don't get to Hyde ParkWindyCityLoVIPDined on 2/9/2013We don't get to Hyde Park often but when we do (concert, etc.), we come to the Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar. They seriously have "something for everyone" in the realm of cross-cuisine offerings. burger? sushi? pizza? it's all there. luncheon specials look really inviting and affordable. And, with a nice bar with reasonable beer/wine/sake lists, it's a fun and tasty deal. Surely busy - make a reservation!Special Features:
- The service was attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2013The service was attentive but not in your face. They were pleasant and helpful. Regarding the food, the menu has something for everyone, but it is not so much that it would impeded the quality. My sandwich was good, and my girlfriend likes this place a lot because it has an extensive selection of gluten-free options. AND, the gluten-free brownie, with the chocolate sauce, is amazing.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerPleasedVIPDined on 12/5/2012I thought our server was slightly scared of us. Although the place is small, I felt she was very attentive to us and our requests. I wish she had taken the reigns a little more and given us suggestions based on what we were ordering. We had this amazing appetizer that was like a tuna salsa served with chips. We ended up ordering it twice more! I wouldn't say the sushi was the best I've ever ordered but they had great choices and a good amount of fish in the rolls. A very nice place to eat and somewhere I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012The food was fresh with excellent portion sizes. The servers were friendly and the atmosphere was very inviting.Special Features: