The Sidecar Restaurant
3029 E. Main Street
Ventura, CA 93003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Sidecar Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesidecarrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8056537433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am-2pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-2:00pm Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Tuesday Nights are our Grilled Cheese and Jazz nights featuring a different local jazz group each week.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Kilcoyne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The SideCar Restaurant Catering provides the same highly acclaimed food, intriguing wines and the seemingly effortless professional service offered at our celebrated restaurant to you and your guests in any private venue - from intimate dinner parties to elaborate weddings and corporate events.
- Private Party Facilities: The SideCar Restaurant is available for private parties 7 days a week for lunch and Dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Lisa 8056537433
- Entertainment: Featuring a different local jazz group every Tuesday night for our Grilled Cheese and Jazz night.
A word from The Sidecar Restaurant
The Sidecar indulges Venturan’s with seasonally influenced, ingredient focused cuisine. Executive Chef Tim Kilcoyne incorporates the seasonal offerings of small local farms and purveyors as well as organic beef, lamb, pork, poultry and seafood for simply prepared cuisine. Since opening in 2003, The Sidecar has been honored by critics in numerous reviews, by both local and national press. We invite you to come experience the delicious offerings at The Sidecar. Since our menu changes daily, our past customers will experience a new collection of seasonal dishes every visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Sidecar Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great restaurantJM719Dined on 5/12/2013I've driven by this restaurant countless times and always told myself I would bring my wife there someday. Finally on Mother's Day I made reservations and had an excellent experience. I wish I would have come here sooner, it is defenitly going to be a place we eat at more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks!TinkercynDined on 5/12/2013Thank you for having an excellent menu for Mother's Day! It was delicious n fun! It was awesome to know that the chef picks ingredients that are fresh n local! Wish you guys were staying open!! Hopefull a new space comes soon!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last daysjamieDined on 5/11/2013It's ashame this restuarant is closing. Lease is up! the service was great. the setting was even better, you felt relaxed with the piano playing and the ambiance of the resturant. organic, local food. can't ask for much more. wish we discovered this place sooner. hopefully the Chef will open another restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodbye to a local gemLaarsDined on 5/10/2013We have loved the Sidecar since moving to Ventura 10 years ago. The food is excellent (possibly the best gourmet burger on the planet) and the ambience reflects the retro 60s look we love so much. We love you Sidecar, and we will miss you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last HurrahOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/2/2013Great to finally check this restaurant out before they close. Great food, quiet, and great service at a reasonable price. I hope they find a new location to open up a restaurant with a similar organic, local theme!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good bye Sidecarprincess12toesDined on 4/28/2013so sad to hear the hospital is buying the land and displacing this historic and adoravble dinerSpecial Features:
- Great food in a cute place.lolacanolaVIPDined on 4/28/2013Great food in a cute place. Unfortunately, they are closing in 2 weeks due to lease not being renewed. :-(Special Features:
- Food is great! Local farmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013Food is great! Local farm to table....great menu...Sunday brunch fantastic....just delicious food and reasonable priced...lovely old school charm..mellow relaxed atmosphere....we love it!Special Features:
- The grilled cheese night isOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013The grilled cheese night is way worth making the reservation for. My boyfriend and I couldnt decide two of the three gourmet grilled cheeses and choose to get all three. Sad to see this place go, the train car adds a lot to the ambianceSpecial Features:
- I am so sorry that SidecarOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/7/2013I am so sorry that Sidecar is closing. It has been one of my favorite restaurants for a number of years. I hope they find a new location and I will follow the chef wherever he goes!Special Features:
- Hope it's just a transitionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2013The Sidecar is an institution in Ventura and one of my favorite restaurants. They'll be moving out of their current location in a month, so I can understand they're running out of staples such as Tanqueray gin, Bombay Safire, black peppercorns,and filet mignon. Still, they have a month to go, and not replacing inventory isn't acceptable, especially if the prices don't reflect that. We begin with the menu. The paper it was printed on showed wear and tear. What does it really take to print new menus? I ordered the special appetizer, pork bellies with abalone for $22.00. The plate was truly appetizer size, that's ok but not for the price, and the pork bely, usually a juicy meat, was dried to rubber as was the abalone. The waiitress was great.Special Features:
- The Sidecar Restaurant hasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013The Sidecar Restaurant has quickly grown to be one of our favorite places to dine. Their food is fresh and true culinary experiences. Great for dates, small parties, GREAT FOOD, and an active bar. T. I've had the deviled eggs, grass fed burger, abalone and pork belly in a spicy blood orange sauce to duck, and an incredible lamb dish on Valentine's day. The butter scotch pudding is pretty darn good as is the bread pudding. The only other restaurant I can think of that may be of this caliber is Cafe Firenze in Moorpark, which is run by a 2x Top Chef candidate. Enjoy enjoy enjoy.Special Features:
- They had alot of staff, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013They had alot of staff, but didn't seem to have it together. Could use some leadership.Special Features:
- This is one fabulous restaurant,PeterVIPDined on 3/30/2013This is one fabulous restaurant, but unfortunately it is closing in May 2013 due to lease/developer issues. We hope that Tim opens a new place and continues the tradition of exceptional food offerings at a realistic and affordable price.Special Features:
- Off the TracksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2013This is a very tired shack that should really consider an upgrade or closing. The food was fair to I wouldnt' go back ever again. The attraction was the fact that it was supposed to resemble a train car. There was no train memorabilia to be seen, anywhere. The place is just old and wornout. Don't bother
- So sad that this restaurantRenaVIPDined on 3/27/2013So sad that this restaurant is closing. It is a wondeful place!Special Features:
- We were there on Grill CheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2013We were there on Grill Cheese and Jazz night. I loved the camaraderie and interaction between the band and the tables of seniors who were obviously regulars and fans of cruner tunes. The banter was delightful. We were welcomed as if we were regulars too. Very nice experience. Food was good, but the people experience stands out most in my memory.Special Features:
- Food is always good, however,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2013Food is always good, however, more vegetarian dishes would be desirable. Great customer service. Love the 'grilled cheese / music' Tuesdays.....again, a vegetable (onion, mushroom, etc.) cheese sandwich option on the special menu would be appreciated. (The white cheddar sandwich with parmesan crust was very good, though.)Special Features:
- Better City of Ventura VenuestbhslhVIPDined on 3/17/2013Grass fed beef; attempts sustainable agriculture, which is a major plus in this "reviewers" opinion; ambiance unique and much better than any chain restaurant; poor beer selection; average wine selection: one of the better venues in the City of Ventura. Probably not good for low fat or sodium., eg., salads are very good and fresh and not low fat/low sodium (might order dressings on the side to compensate).Special Features:
- Fab., as always. EspeciallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2013Fab., as always. Especially enjoyed the lobster bisque!Special Features:
- The staff is always friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013The staff is always friendly, professional, and accommodating. Although the entrees range between $18 and $32, the food is delicious, unique, and expertly prepared. If you dislike great food then stay away from The Sidecar.Special Features:
- Fablous Romantic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013I made reservations for a romantic birthday dinner for my husband at the Sidecar Restaurant. We showed up to our reservation and were immediately shown to our table. The wait staff were very friendly and knew all the specials and were able to give clear descriptions. The complementary bread was served hot, and the starter was fabulous. The entree was served with plenty of time in-between courses. I am definitely going to come back!Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)rgzspickVIPDined on 3/3/2013We enjoy the food at this quality Ventura restaurant. On a Sunday evening, we had beef rib nachos for an appetizer--excellent! For entrees, we had a great tasting hamburger with my wife enjoying her fried chicken and waffle special. Fine service added to the enjoyment of the food. I recommend The Sidecar for a nice, casual dinner in a lovely room.Special Features:
- Delicious food with uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2013Delicious food with unique tastes that we all loved. Thank you!Special Features:
- The salads from Sidecar areOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2013The salads from Sidecar are the freshest you can find in any restaurant. You can really taste the high quality ingredients in their dishes. They are modestly priced for what you get. It's a hidden gem in Ventura!Special Features:
- Tim does an outstanding jobPeterVIPDined on 2/23/2013Tim does an outstanding job of putting together a small but gourmet menu of items that are fresh, local, and expertly prepared. The menu changes with the seasons and is reasonably priced with items that cover a broad spectrum. On the current menu for dinner is a 50/50 burger that is 1/2 ground sirloin and 1/2 ground bacon as the hamburger patty. A fabulous item and on the dinner menu. The best sweet potatoe fries and the best blood orange martini's around.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013The food was very good and the restaurant and we enjoyed our food and our drink. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again in the future.
- Love that the kitchen usesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2013Love that the kitchen uses local and organic ingredients!Special Features:
- "Can't be beat at any price"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Been their for years. Great service, food, bar service, selection. We have been going their for years and have heard from friends who came up from LA to stay overnight that the recommendation we gave them for "The Sidcar Restaurant" couln not have been better.Special Features:
- Huge waste of a lot of money!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013This was by far the worst dining experience I think I've ever had. The special Valentines menu was terrible! We expected to have a nice meal with homemade sauces, good sides, etc. What we got was stale bread, awful salad made only from Arugula with a small amount of dressing (NOTHING else but Arugula, very bitter), bad bad bad appetizers, tough cut of steak all finished off with what seemed like a stale hard dessert. We arrived at 5:00 when the restraunt was slown and it took 45 minutes to get our appetizer! The bread we received was cold and hard. The pork appetizer (which was supposed to be something like pate) was a fat chunk of pork lunchmeat. The steak was a cut that I've never heard of and was tough.
- "Well worth many a visit"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/10/2013I'm not the most sophisticated diner, so, for my taste, The Sidecar is just unusual enough, without being beyond my ability to appreciate. The dishes we've tried, at lunch and at Sunday brunch, showed a thoughtful creativity, and veneration of available local ingredients, and were always well prepared...oh, and did I forget to mention, invariably delicious. Service and ambience are really tied together, and thanks to the charming hostess/bartender/server, there's nothing lacking here. Dishes don't come flying out of the kitchen, so, if you were hoping for an instantaneous, drive-thru tempo, well, don't. Service is well-paced and feels, as does the food, 'individual', and I hope that conveys my impression of their excellence.Special Features:
- We had a good meal but itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2013We had a good meal but it was not great. The menu is pretty limited.
- Entrees were good but menuScottVIPDined on 2/9/2013Entrees were good but menu was very limited. Nice atmosphere; good service and the entertainment was a a nice touch.Special Features:
- Love the Sidecar !!!! We goOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Love the Sidecar !!!! We go there a couple times each year when we come Home to Ventura for the Winter ! My Parents use to Dine there when I was a Young girl ~Special Features:
- Delicious and CalmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013Great place to take someone special. The service was great and food was outstanding! Definitely going back to try the other items on the menu. Price was just right as well.Special Features:
- We had to miss Tuesday night'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/6/2013We had to miss Tuesday night's grilled cheese night. And we were surprised to see the grilled cheese on the Wednesday night menu, very pleased.Special Features:
- We had a very nice time. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/2/2013We had a very nice time. We enjoyed the music and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food came prepared as ordered.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2013Food came prepared as ordered. Server very accommodating even when I forgot to request no pepper!! Can't wait to bring my brother here, the sous chefs were awesome hopefully the food and service will be just as great on a weekend night!! Can't wait for Jazz night!!Special Features:
- A Special Occasion "Go-To"EngineerBillDined on 1/27/2013A real railroad car, circa 1908, that's been in that Main Street location since about 1930. We loved the comfortable, nostalgic atmosphere. The idea of a menu where much of the food is locally-grown (and Oxnard is definitely a farming area) is very appealing, too. The food is just incredible ... as are the cocktails. Now that I've discovered it, it's my "go to" for special occasions!Special Features:
- Needs To Be Updatedbosanova99VIPDined on 1/27/2013I had brunch here to celebrate a friends birthday. I mentioned this when I made my reservation on Opentable, but they never acknowledged the birthday. They opened at 11am and by noon they were out of chicken and waffles and they they were not busy. I would say the whole time we were there at most they had 4 tables with customers. The food is very good, but they are in dire need of an interior make over. The inside reminded of a restaurant from the 80's. Our server wasn't very informative and it took a long time for him to take our order. Everybody was really nice who worked there and the desserts were excellent, but some new carpet and new coat of paint would really make a difference.