The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk
290 Old Montauk Highway
Montauk, NY 11954Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gurneysinn.com/dining
- Phone: (631) 668-2660
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast (Ocean Cafe): 7:30am - 11:00am Monday - Friday, Breakfast Buffet (Ocean Café) 7:30am - 11:00am Saturday & Sunday. Lunch (Ocean Café): 12:00pm - 4:00pm Monday-Friday; 11:00am-4:00pm Saturday-Sunday. Dinner (Seawater Grill): 5:00pm - 9:00pm Sunday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday
**Please note that location of the food service can be changed due to private events. Call ahead to confirm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private party rooms can be arranged for groups of up to 220 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Virginia Davis, Ana Avelisio 6316681717x
- Entertainment: We offer a Karaoke Thursday, DJ and Dancing on Fridays and Saturdays beginning at 9:30 PM.
A word from The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk
The Seawater Grill offers ocean-fresh fare, bistro classics, seasonal renditions, and signature drinks. All set in our elegant, newly redesigned dining room with sweeping panoramic views of the ocean from every table. Outdoor dining is also available on The Seawater Grill’s ocean overlooking deck with fire pit for cooler months. And, our adjoining bar with classic club chairs and cocktail tables provides the perfect setting for impromptu get-togethers, late-day drinks, and romantic nightcaps.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (40)great for outdoor dining (34)special occasion (21)romantic (18)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (11)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Service Doesn't Get Much Slower Than ThisSjpvacVIPDined on 11/17/2014It was a cold rainy day with only two tables occupied when we stopped in for lunch and for the life of me I couldn't understand why it took forever to get a hamburger out of the kitchen. Maybe no one was paying attention which could explain why the bun came out burnt but I was too hungry to send it back. I would have ordered desert but I had to be back in NYC the next day and wasn't sure there was enough time.Special Features:
- Very disappointed- very unorganized- NEVER AGAIN!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/16/2014Will never go back- there were 3 in my party, and we were handed only 2 menus (?), and my menu was missing one page! We were told 15 minutes AFTER. ordering that 2 of 3 appetizers were not available.. And after the average food quality of the meal we ordered a desert to share and again was told the desert wasn't available... The only good thing about the Seawater Grill is the ocean view, which does not belong to them... i hope they don't ruin that tooSpecial Features:
- Breakfast ReviewAnnArborDined on 11/16/2014Breakfast food was good. Lots of servers standing around, but never even got a water refill. Asked for room number but never how our meal was or greeted. One half is decorated nice post renovation, other half looks like it's from the 80s. A bit frustrating as it's obvious someone is spending a lot of money to renovate the hotel. It looks beautiful around, but the staff is less than ideal to match the experience they are trying to provide. $50 for breakfast was more than double the value with the service :(.
- breakfast buffet is great but skip dinnerJudiVIPDined on 11/15/2014We always have a great time at Gurneys and expected the same from the restaurant. Their buffet breakfast is amazing, Unfortunately we were very disappointed at dinner. The service was very slow, and when the server finally came around for our drink order, she forgot to put it in. This was followed by the kitchen "forgetting" to fire our order ( in the server's own words) The 2 lb lobster was probably 1.5 lbs, and arrived overcooked. The side order of roasted potatoes were cold. With so many other great dining choices in the area, I would skip this.
- Fine Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I spent the weekend at Gurneys to celebrate our 50th birthdays. Our entire stay was lovely and relaxing. The highlight was an amazing dinner at the Seawater Grill. The food and service were outstanding. We are looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good for what it isOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I did enjoy my experience at Seawater grill. The food was pretty good and so was the service. A pleasant place to be and most likely, the best experience in Montauk. Just a bit on the pricey side. Pretty much getting B+ food for A prices which I guess is expected for a restaurant on the water on Montauk. I would recommend and go back. The atmosphere was very good and quiet since we were there during the off season. The service was very good until the very end.Special Features:
- Good foodShelVIPDined on 10/13/2014We ordered a chard salad and rack of lamb. Both were fresh and prepared well. The dessert was very bad. We ordered rainbow ice cream sandwich. It tasted like a Twinkie that was old. The icecream was good but we left the rest. The staff wasn't interested in what we had to say. They were. Rey understaffed, so service was was VERY slow.Special Features:
- Hit and missrichera1VIPDined on 9/26/2014This was my 4th visit as I have a second home in the area. Tonight was the best so far. Of my four dinners here this was the only one with good service. I've enjoyed the food every time. Lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grt Food & Service Horrible SeatingSarasotaGemDined on 9/24/2014We had not been to this restaurant in a number of years but know that the view is fantastic, the food good and the service was excellent. However, they have "modernized" the décor and made it all steel furnishings. Sitting for several hours (we like to slowly dine and enjoy the meal) on hard metal chairs is not comfortable or conducive to a relaxed dining experience. I guess they want to sacrifice customer satisfaction for quick turnover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Gurney'sMadameLulu1Dined on 9/23/2014Gurney's is world famous as a resort and also for it's fabulous ocean front location. My husband and I went for a romantic anniversary dinner. The food was excellent but as expected the prices are a little high. Service was a little slow and the noise level was a bit too loud but nothing can replace the location and oceanfront view. Our waitress was very accommodating and she even comped us our dessert when we explained it was our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedMAC1VIPDined on 9/20/2014thought I made a reservation in the main dining room. When we arrived were told there was a private party and we were seated in a sub standard and no table cloth room Menu is marginal, service non existent food very poor. $240 for three people is a disgrace. I complained to the so called manager but it was useless. Do not waste your time or money. Where is the famous Seth Levine. Restaurant is an embarrassment.Special Features:
- MarsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Well, we had a reservation for 3:30p & to my dismay, they only serve you breakfast or fish & chips or cold sandwich because they serve dinner at 5pm. Then I suggest that they should not have those times available if you cannot even choose from a lunch entree or dinner entree. & we cannot even sit outside or let me take it back, you can dine outside but we have to be out by 4:30pm because there was a reservation for a group party. I found it very disappointing.Special Features:
- Not worth itluncheswithfriendsVIPDined on 9/20/2014We arrived for Sunday brunch for 5 at 11 am, just as the restaurant opened. Service was terribly slow, food portions were shamefully small, price were extremely high. The buffet breakfast is better, although still expensive; unfortunately that ends at 11 on the dot, plus they are slow to refill empty platters, like sliced fruit, juice, pastries. The only good part was the oceanfront seating.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGweluvmontaukDined on 9/19/2014We totally enjoyed our dining experience at The Seawater Grill @ Gurney's Montauk. The quality of food from appetizer thru the dessert (which was amazing) and the piano music just added to the ambiance. Our time there was one of the best while on vacation....very relaxing ambiance and low noise level was a plus. For once my husband and I could actually hear our conversation to one another! Had it not been so chilly last week, a cocktail out on the deck overlooking the ocean would have been great! Defintely recommend even if your not staying as a guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just eh!RobertDined on 9/9/2014Poor seating, forgetful waitress, long wait for drinks on a dead night, never lit the candle, even when I reminded her. Pommes frites with parmesan were too salty, greasy and covered in sharp cheese. Not much potato taste. "Heirloom" tomatoes- I asked what kind and no one seemed aware that there are dozens of locally available heirlooms with many different tastes and consistencies. The waitress told me "the chef said they were heirlooms- that's it." WTF?! Elsewhere on the menu it says "heirloom beefsteak tomatoes"- hey guys! DINERS!! Beefsteaks aren't heirlooms, no matter how long your Dad's been growing them! Ask your local farm stand for suggestions. (Start with a Brandywine, then try the Cherokee or Mortgage Lifter....there you go!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe and MarieSpecialDined on 9/6/2014If you want a special place for a special occasion, this is the place. The view and food were outstanding. Joe had a stuff lobster and I had the scallops. The service couldn't be more accommodating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We were celebrating my 70th birthday. There 5 in our party and we all agreed it was a wonderful dinner and evening. We would definitely return. Hopefully soon it will be soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nyr7VIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food and service. Sit outside weather permitting. After reading poor reviews we were troubled. But we were pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteHard2pleaseDined on 9/5/2014We love the food, gorgeous place and amazing service. You must visit The Seawater Grill when in the Hamptons. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- where's my coffee?Derek228Dined on 8/24/2014The view and food is terrific but the service was SLOW and not attentive. Orders were missed and came out late. Also.. ask for the desserts to be place on a glass plate not the wooden pallets they think is inventive. It's not.. it's sloppy and dirty looking.Special Features:
- Not too good!Frank1307Dined on 8/23/2014I have eaten here many times. New Owner and new restaurant now. Not nearly as good. Will NOT go back!
- Great food terrible servicenb2014Dined on 8/23/2014The excellent food is dwarfed by the terrible,don't care,very slow, lacksidasial service Beautiful views are killed by the worst Montauk service ever encounterted
- Get It TogetherMynewfavorite1Dined on 8/22/2014Beautiful restaurant. Great Ambience. Waiters were good but the kitchen couldn't get it together. Appetizers and main courses coming out at the same time. In one instance the kitchen sent out the main courses BEFORE the appetizers for one table. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Day!LaurrichVIPDined on 8/22/2014Sometimes a Beach resort can be all about the views, however, the awesome views were just the beginning. It was a cool day in August so we figured lets try lunch. Wow! The food was amazing. We started with the Tuna Tacos. If you are a lover of Sushi then these were fabulous. The Tuna was sushi grade fresh with a tangy zest. The entrees were even more spectacular. All in all it was a wonderful surprise and made for a very enjoyable afternoon. A definite must in Montauk.Special Features:
- Great Food and ViewJustinThyme2013Dined on 8/20/2014I had low expectations for the food quality based on an experience from many years ago, but gave this one another shot. I am so glad that I did. The food was one of the better meals in the region, almost comparable to Harvest. Too pricey, but what do you expect on the ocean in Montauk in August.Special Features:
- poor service and mediocre food.minouDined on 8/20/2014This is our second time giving the restaurant a try. The food and service are both mediocre. We keep going back for the view! Next time, we might just try the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/20141)waiter forgot a drink, no big deal, but we were charged $2 more than the menu and asked him to remove it because we never got it, he was defensive, unapologetic, and "it was our fault" because we did not remind him, he never came around to remind him 2)during the lobster buffet, we ate "dry" ask and ask over and over again for soda, never got from the waiter, the hostess served us the soda, bill, ask and ask, the hostess finally gave us the bill, that is totally unacceptable 3) 3 people $90 breakfast, cold coffee 4) no more, they need trainingSpecial Features:
- Chilled lobster clawlessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I generally don't write reviews, but had to.... I would expect that a $24 chilled lobster appetizer at a premier (or trying to be) restaurant in Montauk would have a substantial piece of lobster. There was a seemingly nice half of a lobster...nice half of a tail, that is. They did give me half of the body if you are one of those who likes to search out every little crevice for meat. There was a knuckle which looked like it would have had a promising claw attached to it..... But no, it was clawless. I was so disappointed and was going to complain, much the the chagrin of my partner....I just thought they should know, so I vent it now. The chicken parm was chewy...The truffle fries were a handful of smushed fries with parm cheese no truffleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate on the deck over the beach and the view was really fantastic. Service was great. Food was good if not great and of course very expensive (but this should come as no surprise). All in all, a very nice addition to the Montauk offerings.Special Features:
- Very disappointing!beachgal24Dined on 8/5/2014Gorgeous place with a beautiful view & it's especially nice if you sit outside, but that's basically it. The food is way over priced for the quality. The tuna tartare tacos were terrible. For $19.00 we got 3 very small tacos & they were soggy & had no flavor except for the jalapeño pepper they placed on top. Then the entree comes out & it was so tiny that it looked like an appetizer. My husband got the rack of lamb which is advertised as a full rack of lamb, there were 4 tiny pieces of lamb on a small portion of mashed potatoes which cost $50. If your going to serve tappas size plates then you should advertise that so it's not so misleading. We both left there still hungry after a $150 bill for 1 appetizer, 2 entrees & 1 glass of wine!Special Features:
- Really?GoodchoiceVIPDined on 8/2/2014With all the hype thought it was worth a try....... But really you felt like you were in the big dining room in the Catskills backin the day! The dining room is huge and the noise level is unbearable! They should have made it floor to ceiling windows and broken down the space so it didn't feel so huge. Didn't get a cool hip feeling at all. The tuna tacos and tomato watermelon salad were good. Entrees were ok. The striped bass was prepared well branzino a bit over cookedSpecial Features:
- di44Dined on 8/1/2014Food was great. Beautiful view even on a cloudy night.Special Features:
- AwfuldinneroutDined on 7/29/2014Desired time was not available via Open Table, so we were expecting to find a crowded dining room, not so. The complimentary rolls were stale, glasses dirty, the wait staff friendly and well intended but not coordinated. The food was not bad enough to send back. In all, the view and pricies were exquisite. If you must see what the new Gurney's is all about, have a drink on the deck and find a better place to dine.Special Features:
- Feels a bit like a dining hallDisappointedDined on 7/27/2014The restaurant boasts of a spectacular view of the ocean, but all you see through its enormous windows is a jumble of decks, stairs, and utility structures with the ocean far in the distance. The restaurant caters to the hotel's guests, who treat it a bit like their dining hall. You can't blame them for that, but it's not worth coming from the outside to eat here. That said, the food was inventive and good. The management of the restaurant is loose: the hostess did not seem to care that we had a reservation, and we got a follow up from Open Table asking why we were no-shows. I noted when I made the reservation that the lunch was to celebrate our anniversary, but the restaurant didn't do anything to acknowledge it.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014the food and service were both on point, but this place was so stuffy and overpriced, i was honestly surprised.Special Features:
- We were not impressedFirstTimeinMontaukDined on 7/25/2014This place was recommended by a colleague at work. The view is spectacular. The food and service not soo much. The waiter was attentive, but it took ages for our food to come out. When the food finally did come, my friend's steak was completely over cooked and the mushroom pasta was luke warm and soggy. I would definitely not recommend this place other than to go for a drink.Special Features:
- The following 142 reviews are from the The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk reviews archive.
- Good butJstarxDined on 7/12/2014Everything was phenomenal except for the main course. The porterhouse for two simply was just a tasteless piece of meat. Everything else we tried was great though. Skip the porterhouse for 2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gurney'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014I have been coming to this restaurant for years. The resort is under new management . The dinner I had very excellent and the service and atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- Gave it a try...would not returnDumboFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We avoided Gurney's for years bc of dated reputation, but tried it last weekend because it's under new management and supposedly renovated, and it's one of only oceanfront spaces. Mistake. Sat outside because the draw is the view, and inside looks/sounds like a giant catering hall. It was chilly, and they did not have enough heatlamps. One poor waitress was doing everything -seating the tables, taking the orders, and clearing the dishes - and though she made best efforts, service clearly suffered as a result. Raw bar apps were fine. The entrees took 45 min to arrive, and were not very good. We ordered tea at the end and the water was brown because they were using coffee pots. Only Pinot Noir by the glass was $20. Silly. Would not return.Special Features:
- No one running the shipMarionVIPDined on 7/5/2014We were supposed to eat outside, but due to the weather we had to go inside. The room is large, bright and LOUD. It felt like a really bad cruise ship. Our server was good, but there was no food coming out of the kitchen or bar. Once it came, the food was pretty good. I loved the ahi tuna tacos, the oysters were fresh and tasty. The rack of lamb had a unique flavor which I enjoyed, but the entree was cold. The server was very apologetic and when the manager came out, she removed one of the bottles of wine and the cold lamb off of the bill which was nice but we would not return as the atmosphere was everything we don't enjoy. Lowering the lights and lowering the sound by 2/3 and improving service...maybe.Special Features: