The Seahorse Tavern
303 E 85th St.
New York, NY 10028-4501Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Seahorse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://theseahorsetavern.com/
- Phone: 2127447774
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Laura Sorensen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Seahorse Tavern
THE SEAHORSE TAVERN is bourne out of the life-long passions of neighborhood locals, who wanted to bring the cuisine they love—"comfort seafood"—to the people they love—family, friends, and, of course, neighbors. Their personal touches can be tasted on the menu; dishes using the freshest locally sourced seafood, create wonderfully inspired takes and many New England classics, such as fried oysters, Peeky-toe crab dip, and lobster rolls. The personal touches flourish as well with the decor; the bar and wainscoting are built from planks from the original Coney Island boardwalk, the lights and sconces were salvaged from big ships, the mirrors and artwork are antiques, and their signature seahorse is by Hamptons artist Drew Madden. The Seahorse Tavern hopes that its history with, knowledge of, and commitment to both comfort seafood and comforting patrons will draw in neighbors, old and new, and curious and hungry visitors for a long time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Seahorse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- Mixed experience. Crab cakesJoanVIPDined on 3/19/2013Mixed experience. Crab cakes were extraordinary. Main course, "shrimp risotto" was unsatisfactory--unpeelled prawns on a bed of plain risotto was very poor. Poor value.
- Excellent food. Fairly pricedhoffmichDined on 3/10/2013Excellent food. Fairly priced wine list Friendly service.Special Features:
- Nice little spot, but we allLydiaMVIPDined on 3/9/2013Nice little spot, but we all got sick from the oysters. I would probably go back, the service was excellent and lively on a Saturday. But I will definitely avoid the raw bar!Special Features:
- Food was great! Lobster bisqueJudysDined on 3/3/2013Food was great! Lobster bisque was declared a winner (too rich for me). I had the chicken&polenta which was outstanding. My dinner mates had: burger, prawns and fish special which were thoroughly enjoyed. The four of us ate every bite! Bread was delicious but not enough for 4; we had to ask for more. We were there on a Sunday night around 6:30 and the place wasn't too crowded. Got a lot noisier as it started to fill up later on.Special Features:
- Excellent lobster roll...noSaz9823VIPDined on 3/3/2013Excellent lobster roll...no mayo or celery at all...great deal on the brunch as you get a drink along with it. Great skinny fries. Oysters are fresh and delicious. Service is friendly and at brunch around 1:30 or 2 the noise level is not bad. Have not been here at other times of the say so can't comment on noise at other times.Special Features:
- We have passed this spot numerousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/7/2013We have passed this spot numerous times and finally gave it a try. Well, we were extremely satisfied. Warm, welcoming owners, helpful bartender and great wait staff who were knowledgable about the foods, and their preparations. The portions were big without compromising the quality. I ordered the fish of the day at felt like I was in a fancy, 5* restaurant. This is a restaurant your parents can't complain about and your friends will love.Special Features:
- This was out first time. WhatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/2/2013This was out first time. What a pleasant surprise! The food was excellent and they were very accomodating to all of our food needs. A definite local find.Special Features:
- We went for the brunch andSaz9823VIPDined on 2/2/2013We went for the brunch and were pleased. My friend ordered some oysters on the half shell and they were excellent. We both tried the lobster roll which came with a generous order of homemade skinny french fries. The lobster roll was New England style with a toasted brioche hot dog bun, just lobster meat...no mayo or celery and melted butter on the side. Drinks were included with the brunch entrees. Other items looked good too...the table next to us ordered Shrimp Po Boys and the hamburger. Will go back again.Special Features:
- Has become a place where weOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/1/2013Has become a place where we very frequently go to eat and drink- such a welcoming atmosphere. Everything I have tried has been amazing. Big fan!Special Features:
- Loved my grilled shrimp saladOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/29/2013Loved my grilled shrimp salad & my husband' told me that the fish in his ish and chips was very good, but the chips (French fries), seemed to have been sitting around for awhile.Special Features:
- It was noisy, (not energetic)BocuseVIPDined on 1/12/2013It was noisy, (not energetic) very limited menu and food was just okay
- Unique moderate seafood; limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/12/2013Unique moderate seafood; limited menu but food was good, ambience was friendly and the price was reasonableSpecial Features:
- AMAZING SEAFOODOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013Best seafood I've ever had in NYC. I repeat, the BEST seafood I've ever tasted in the many restaurants I've been to in NYC. My salmon, which I thought would just be another regular salmon, was mouth-watering deliciousness! It literally melted in my mouth. My gf's Sole fish was equally as good. Definitely recommend trying at least once! I will be back.
- Decent neighborhood seafoodMikeVIPDined on 1/5/2013Decent neighborhood seafood place but they drown food in sauces and butter. Most things we have had here are mediocre but service is sincere and location is convenient.
- Great place to get oysters,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/28/2012Great place to get oysters, but a bit packed when we went.Special Features:
- Limited menu, food is "meh"OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/24/2012Limited menu, food is "meh" and room is VERY NOISY.
- Cozy and ConsistentFoodForThoughtVIPDined on 11/30/2012Energetic on weekend nights, however quiet and intimate during weekdays. Consistently good seafood specials and killer lentils and mussels! Everything about this neighborhood gem keeps me coming back for more!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Find!BrianmsrDined on 11/24/2012Very pleased with the ambiance. Wait staff is very attentive. Food excellent. Will definately return!Special Features:
- It is not often you find adinerdelVIPDined on 10/16/2012It is not often you find a perfect experience when dining out, but all four visits to this restaurant have been excellent. The owners, staff, and chef are all genuinely nice people serving fabulous food and tasty drinks. The Seahorse Martini and seafood here are recommendations.Special Features:
- The excellent service, fooddinerdelVIPDined on 10/15/2012The excellent service, food and drinks makes this place a must visit restaurant while in NYC.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Great atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/3/2012Excellent food. Great atmosphere. Very unique for this area.Special Features:
- We have been here before andEaterVIPDined on 9/30/2012We have been here before and the food was better and hotter before. Service was, however, terrific.
- The atmosphere is nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2012The atmosphere is nice and the service is not rushed, but the food was horrible this time around. Eggs were runny, potatoes were oily. I hardly ate. Maybe the other food is good, and the atmosphere is nice, but I probably won't go again for brunch.
- A great experience as always!FromawayVIPDined on 9/22/2012A great experience as always! It was a very busy night but the host was gracious, the service was right on time and the food as good as always. We always return to Seahorse because it never fails to be enjoyable. It is a small space so prime time reservations are important. But, eating at the bar is just as good.Special Features:
- From the moment we walkedJillAnnYVIPDined on 9/14/2012From the moment we walked in to the moment we left, we were treated extremely well. What a lovely dinner spot. The food was excellent. We started with a dozen oysters...three types...two from Long Island, one from the West Coast. All were fresh and delicious. Then, we had the crab cakes with an arugula salad and the skate special with broccoli rabe, plus a side of delicious fries. My husband, who is not a fan of arugula, couldn't get enough of the side salad. The onlly thing I'd say approaching a criticism was that the broccoli rabe was a bit too salty. Otherwise...a really lovely experience. I'd definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood additionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2012This place is surprising: looks like a comfy, neighborhood tavern-ish joint, but the food is far superior to that. Wonderful staff, owners very present and accommodating. Have read some reviews that claim choices and portions are too few and too small. I beg to differ. This is excellent cooking, using the freshest ingredients, for a discerning palate that does not require a diner-sized menu and a mountain of food on the plate. Price is fair for this kind of quality experience in Manhattan, relaxed decor notwithstanding. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/4/2012Wonderful restaurant! Brought a bunch of out of towners here for dinner and the food was amazing. Had raw oysters to start and the sole with brown butter as my main course, delish! Very nice find for the UES.
- Lots of seafoodTINEGUNNERDined on 7/27/2012Great seafood, atmosphere was a little dead, we were there 7-8 on a friday night. Service was also really nice and friendly.Special Features:
- My data and I each orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2012My data and I each ordered off their special's menu. Both dishes were amazing, I had the artic char, hope it gets added to their regular menu because it was delicious. Haven't ordered off their regular menu yet.Special Features:
- I had been meaning to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/13/2012I had been meaning to try The Seahorse Tavern and took my friend who was visiting from Rome. We absolutely loved it! Not only was the food excellent but the service was outstanding. I have every intention of returning very soon.Special Features:
- Nice Local Restatuant--Worth A TripRolstoDined on 7/7/2012Very solid neighborhood restaurant. Portions a bit small, and service was spotty (but always with a smile), however, experience overall was positive. Nice meal--fish cooked well, and sides fantastic.Special Features:
- good neighborhood findUWSpescetarianDined on 7/7/2012Came here for an early dinner, open house pricing at the bar only which was fine. Smallish restaurant, very cozy vibe, and since it was early only the bar was filled up. Fresh blue points, grilled octopus appetizer was flavorful but tenderness was inconsistent, some octopus pieces were tender, some rubbery. The salad that went with it was divine. Crab cakes were very disappointing. The codfish entree was the best part of our meal. Overall a good dining experience and we will come back! PS. the sangria at the bar needs to be a little stronger!Special Features:
- It's hard to find a good,nylilliVIPDined on 6/30/2012It's hard to find a good, reasonably priced seafood restaurant, but Seahorse Tavern is one of them.Special Features:
- Appetizers were great, weOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/29/2012Appetizers were great, we had the cod and halibut both were way too salty
- Service was poor. Water glassesbusinesslunchDined on 6/17/2012Service was poor. Water glasses were never refilled. Part of order was forgotten. Until we walked up to the bar to ask for a server to come over to let us know about desserts and coffee, no one had been to the table for over 15 minutes. Then we were asked to place our coffee order at the bar instead of someone coming tableside! Eventually, after another 8 minutes, someone came over to ask if we wanted coffee/dessert. We understand these things happen when restaurants were crowded, but it was not crowded at this time. The restaurant was only half full.
- Decent Fish Restaurant - UESSammyGirlVIPDined on 6/16/2012First time trying this restaurant for dinner and although my lobster roll was not great - I would go back to try other dishes. Our waitress couldn't be more accomodating. And the "bob's daughter" cocktail was the best part of my meal. I was looking forward to dessert, but they only had two choices - non of which we were interested in. They need to add a better dessert selection.Special Features:
- A Delightful Neighborhood Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/12/2012Fabulous! We ate here a week ago and decided to return a few days later. The salads and appetizer specials were great. The scallops were especially good. We had Monk fish, Lemon Sole and Chicken, along with a cauliflower side. All had such winderful flavor and they were perfectly prepared. The Seahorse Tavern is a great little place on the Upper East Side and we will be back!Special Features:
- Fabulous late night spotforOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2012Fabulous late night spotfor that late supper. Menu and specials were really good: 3 point oysters and Mayan Prawns were excellent. Good wine and great house Manhattan. Friendly staff attentive but not groveling.Special Features:
- Great service, good food,BazeDined on 5/12/2012Great service, good food, fun bar, what more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Great addition to the upperOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/12/2012Great addition to the upper east side. It's a "neighborhood gem" at its best.Special Features: