The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse
4269 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theseausa.com/
- Phone: 6502131111x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday & Monday: 5:30pm to 9:00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm to 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm to 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Yu Min Lin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: Welcome to The Sea by Alexander"s Steakhouse! We are pleased to provide multiple space and menu options to best suit the needs of your group. Be it an intimate tasting dinner, product launch or your dream wedding, The Sea will exceed even the most discerning expectations with memories that last a lifetime.
Flawless fine dining and stylish receptions are perfectly choreographed in any of our exquiste rooms within the restaurant. Meetings and corporate events held in our state of the art Confernece Center are enhanced with complimentary fiber optic,high-speed Wif
A word from The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse
The Sea By Alexander's Steakhouse is the bay area's premier seafood dining destination. The restaurant distinguishes itself by focusing on rich sumptuous morsels from the sea, prepared with modern technique and flair. Chef Yu Min Lin blends contemporary cuisine with Japanese sensibility and ingredients to transform The Sea's menu into the extraordinary. Experience The Sea at its best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (113)fit for foodies (95)romantic (79)notable wine list (58)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- roseranchVIPDined on 8/26/2014We came here for our anniversary, and were given a lovely glass of champagne, and a nice dessert (as well as the usual amuse-bouche and the cotton candy surprise at the end). Service was truly lovely. Food was yummy - esp the hamachi shots!Special Features:
- Delicious at expense account pricesCAgigabyteVIPDined on 8/26/2014This is a wonderful special occasion or business dinner affair. Seating and lighting comfortable, with one of room having great views of the kitchen (although bathroom is a trek). Specialty cocktails, good broad wine list. Appetizers of lobster rocks, lobster risotto (enough for an entree) or tuna tartare all delicious but $35 for doz oysters--No. Salmon and other fish dishes expertly prepared, perfectly cooked and seasoned and sauced. Order sides as there is little else on the plate. Truffle fries A+. Meat entrees satisfying but pricey. Entrees run $38-$155 (Waygu trio). If you opt out of dessert, they'll bring you a trio anyway: Cotton Candy, brittle and a jelly candy, all house made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceJLPLDined on 8/16/2014Date night with my wife. Bowled over by the service from our waiter Thomas - best in recent memory. Informed/knowledgable about the menu, great suggestions, attentive, personable. Really made the evening for us. Great cocktails. Food was excellent. Hope to be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional. PERIOD.rizone1975Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our 10 years here and the staff, food, drinks were all exceptional. We appreciated the special comps they surprised us with as if they were giving us a nod for our special day. Our waitress was very kind, knowledgeable and easy to deal with. We are definitely coming back. If it is your first time here we totally recommend the tasting menu w/ a side order of Hamachi shots!Special Features:
- nicefoodlover1Dined on 8/9/2014nice seafood venue with the option of steak. will come back again. great service!Special Features:
- equisite.gdeeDined on 8/7/2014There are very few restaurants that maintain a consistent level of satisfaction... this is one. For a really special experience, ask for Thomas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Over-priced although very good, creative food with excellent service...Special Features:
- This Chefi is amazing!VickiDined on 8/2/2014I was a fan of Michael Mina until I eat at The Sea. Food is creative, an incredible use of flavors. This was one of the best dinners I have had in a long time.Many if the chefs in the Bay Area are living off of hype or name. But this chef cares about his presentation and cuisine. Kudos!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningDaruchanVIPDined on 8/2/2014No special occasion, just decided to give ourselves a nice evening of dining. After being disappointed several times by Alexander's Cupertino for the last few years we were not sure what to expect at The Sea. Great to see Tim (GM?) from Cupertino running The Sea. His service standards for staff surely show in this venue. Our waiter was excellent, indulging me by figuring out a special drink I love from Cupertino and then making excellent recommendations on food. Only missing piece of puzzle: it would have been nice if he had sent the sommelier to the table. We thoroughly enjoyed the tasting menu and sincerely had a wonderful evening of excellent service, food & wine.Special Features:
- Five StarCarolDined on 7/30/2014Visiting from Philadelphia-a true town for foodies. This restaurant was equal to any of the beware eatting places in the City of Brotherly Love. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Excellent Fooddruidgl1Dined on 7/27/2014The Sea by Alexanders is a well run, well planned restaurant with great food and ambiance. The food is a bit pricey, however fine for special occasions.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.Masticator1Dined on 7/26/2014Went for my wife's birthday and they were very accommodating. Made every effort at providing a special night for her. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodieDined on 7/26/2014Everything was EXCELLENT...... I was already looking forward to my next visit before i even ordered my meal. Just a great experience along with the food presentation.Special Features:
- Great nightiluv2eatDined on 7/23/2014BF and I have tried the Cupertino location in Nov. last year for my birthday. So I wanted to surprise him to dinner at this location instead. Great service and ambiance. Loved that we were seated next to the kitchen. Definitely fine dining at its best.Special Features:
- Best in South BayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Simply said, this restaurant is my favourite in Silicon Valley, the only restaurant I have been to that consistently seasons there dishes properly, and all of the sauces went perfectly with each dish, great foodSpecial Features:
- superlative seafooddweeklyVIPDined on 7/15/2014I went here with an old friend after seeing it was well recommended on OpenTable. I see why now! The cocktails were quite good, as was the steak, but the FISH was just astonishingly good. That's why you go to a seafood restaurant, right? And this won't disappointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TotallySatisfiedFineDinerholicDined on 7/10/20143rd time here. Impeccable service and the food rivals the best in Chicago !Special Features:
- AmazingUngryDined on 7/7/2014I've been here 3 times, and it has been consistently beyond my expectations. The service is perhaps the best of any restaurant I have *ever* tried. I hope to return many times.Special Features:
- Our family favoriteStanfordFanVIPDined on 7/5/2014The Sea is our favorite place for birthday and anniversary celebrations. Thomas is our favorite waiter - his attention to detail is always appreciated. We love the Hamachi shots, the mini crab cakes, the truffled fries and every fish entree we have had there. There is always a beautiful dessert creation for the birthday person.Special Features:
- Fantasticchairman888Dined on 7/4/2014I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday here along with my family. It was fantastic and the staff did everything to make it a memorable occasion. Looking forward to my next meal there.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMK123Dined on 6/28/2014On June 28, we celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary. We opted for the 4 course tasting dinner and it was excellent. All the servers were so very attentive and the food was fabulous. The waiter (Hwan) was very knowledgeable and made our event very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaing (and tasting) good foodraredatenightDined on 6/28/2014Service was great. Staff was very attentive and professional. Entrees were very tasty and presented well. Desserts were interesting as they can only be called unique combinations of flavors.Special Features:
- Food was very good - service okletsgosomewhereVIPDined on 6/21/2014Servers were enthusiastic but a bit too quick to rush us along or collect something that had not been finished...multiple times. Bar alcohol types could be expanded to a broader range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful & DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014We wanted a wonderful and delicious meal to take our 5 and 8 year old sons to (who we take out to nice restaurants all the time and are very well behaved). The Sea did not give us any grief and treated our little foodies as they would any other guest. We had the cuddle fish risotto, lobster rocks, hamachi shots,beef tataki and some yummy seasoned perfectly cooked white fish. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a unique, tasteful dining experience and they ate kid friendly for those with friendly kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for special occasionsleebabesDined on 6/18/2014Great food with freebies of mini appetizers and cotton candy. I enjoyed the grilled lobster all shelled and cooked perfectly serves with mushrooms and onions. My husband had the jon dory fillets and enjoyed it. Service is superb and the ambiance very romantic. The croissants were the best and served warm. I liked the fact that they has a tasting menu with wine pairings. I will definitely definitely be back for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alexander-qualitykyCAVIPDined on 6/17/2014Well prepared food with impeccable presentation - Alexander's Steak House quality! I always enjoy dining here. The bar is modern and feels trendy, though empty most of the time. The restaurant side was busy. What makes the dining experience good is truly defined by the waiter/waitress. The food is always good, but somehow, it was much better this time - and I have to attribute that to the pleasant experience with our waiter. We had an excellent waiter who was personable and anticipated our needs.Special Features:
- over ratedbistroVIPDined on 6/14/2014I think I was expecting to much,so was totally disappointed with the quality of the food. Nice place, great service and really average food. Risotto was not good at all. Stake was done medium to well done(we asked for rare) and really tasted nothing special and lobster portion was huge (4 tales) but unfortunately did not taste any different then going to any other restaurant that serves lobster. Good cocktails, great wine list. I usually go few times to the same place before leaving the review, but I won`t be giving them second chance or recommending it to a friends.Special Features:
- Exceptional SeafoodSWTravelerDined on 6/13/2014The dinner was exceptional and service matched. The portions served were large and unique in their preparation. I have been a regular visitor to Palo Alto and this is one of the top restaurants. If you are looking for an exceptional meal or have a special occasion, The Sea is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 6/12/2014Very corporate feel and vibe. We had the full tasting menu. Ingredients are top quality and portions large. Still, the price was expensive. The food was sometimes over-salted and/ or slightly too sweet. Unfortunately, the beautiful fish or meat were drowned in heavy sauces. The plates are artful renditions with many flower garnishes. None of the flowers added any special taste to dishes. We had stale wine by the glass. These wine bottles sit out on a table at room temperature or in bucket of ice.
- CAMOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/11/2014Service was average to poor. Too many people waiting on each table - no consistent attention to detail. Seemed very robotic. Asked for bread twice and never received it...Special Features:
- MSH1108Dined on 6/7/2014The food was amazing with great attention paid to presentation and interesting combinations. The service was also excellent. Both the food and the service helped create a memorable evening. We have been to The Sea many times and are always anxious to return.Special Features:
- Love this place!MayafezVIPDined on 6/4/2014Been to this restaurant twice. Absolutely delicious food! Especially the Mero Fish full of flavors. Very courteous service. I definitly will keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticChefrjVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great cocktails, I recommend the Manhattan made with a special blend of bourbon. The Crab Chowder is amazing and delightfully different not heavy like most chowders. All of their oyster and lobster dishes are fantastic. Go before they get their Michelin Star and you can get in for months ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingpf90Dined on 5/30/2014Everything was perfect for a dinner of two and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food w unsurprisingly high $$CialtiVIPDined on 5/30/2014The prices are off putting when you first see the menu. But the food is terrific and it's great to have a high end restaurant option in Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Living the Good Life at the Sea!KTinSJVIPDined on 5/29/2014This was the perfect spot to hold a 60th birthday party for a small group of family and friends. Most of them had not been to The Sea before and were delighted with the food presentation and outstanding quality of food. Many thanks to the staff for making this a memorable birthday! The amuse bouche and cotton candy/cookie tray on the house were a big hit with out guests as was the birthday plate with the chocolate writing and treat!Special Features:
- Amazing mealfoodieDined on 5/29/2014Incredible meal! The fish is amazing. The food is prepared as if it was an art piece. Amazing wine list. Expensive but worth every penny. This restaurant has moved its way up to being one of the best on the Peninsula.Special Features:
- Fantastic Fish at a price.SFWoodVIPDined on 5/27/2014Truly great fish dishes, starters, etc. Some unusual types and preparations. All delicious. Desserts, on the other hand, were all dreadful - we had 3 of them - truly terrible. Service was efficient and pleasant if not warm but with a few glitches - i.e.: you don't instruct your bus person to clear a table in earshot of the table. Wines lovely. Expensive but lots of extras - delicious bread and crackers, cotton candy, etc. For a special occasion - especially if you really enjoy fresh fish - this is a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGwaderDined on 5/24/2014We love eating at the Sea. The food is wonderful and the service is phenomenal.Special Features:
- What else could one ask for?RivvidiaDined on 5/24/2014Having been to Alexander's in Cupertino, and tasted their scallop appetizer, my expectations were high for this location. Everything was met. This was for my graduation, but I was surprised at how much the staff helped celebrate. It didn't feel forced or awkward, they made me feel special. The hamachi shots are a sterling example of when creativity and quality collide. Every flavor in the small glass is calculated. Entrees for the table and dessert followed this trend. Only one issue- the way the restaurant is laid out. The kitchen is open and well-lit, so you can get a great look at the chefs in action. That is, unless you had a large mostly-opaque wall between you. It was unfortunate that much of the restaurant was hidden.