The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse
4269 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theseausa.com/
- Phone: 6502131111x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday & Monday: 5:30pm to 9:00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm to 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm to 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Yu Min Lin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: Welcome to The Sea by Alexander"s Steakhouse! We are pleased to provide multiple space and menu options to best suit the needs of your group. Be it an intimate tasting dinner, product launch or your dream wedding, The Sea will exceed even the most discerning expectations with memories that last a lifetime.
Flawless fine dining and stylish receptions are perfectly choreographed in any of our exquiste rooms within the restaurant. Meetings and corporate events held in our state of the art Confernece Center are enhanced with complimentary fiber optic,high-speed Wif
A word from The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse
The Sea By Alexander's Steakhouse is the bay area's premier seafood dining destination. The restaurant distinguishes itself by focusing on rich sumptuous morsels from the sea, prepared with modern technique and flair. Chef Yu Min Lin blends contemporary cuisine with Japanese sensibility and ingredients to transform The Sea's menu into the extraordinary. Experience The Sea at its best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (95)fit for foodies (90)romantic (71)notable wine list (45)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (22)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Amazing for a special eventcdreamDined on 10/10/2014We went to The Sea for our anniversary. We went for the chef's tasting menu, and it was outstanding. The mero was one of the best dishes I've had anywhere. (Unfortunately, it was not the same as the mero dish on the a la cart menu, so we can't get it alone). The peanut butter/chocolate dessert was also excellent. But what impressed me the most was the care they took to make our special occasion feel special. I mentioned our anniversary when booking, and every crew member we encountered made sure to congratulate us. The special touches and attention to detail really stood out, even to spoiled foodies like ourselves!Special Features:
- Wonderful place for a dateFoodforLifeDined on 10/9/2014The restaurant staff was good, attentive, and timely. The dining area was appropriate but not too crowded. The food selections were quite fun and enjoyable. Overall it was excellent. The only difficult part was the parking, it really is easier to use the valet.Special Features:
- Attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014Attentive service and surprisingly busy for a Thursday night at an expensive place! The only reason I didn't rate the food as 5 stars was because I had to send my duck back to have it cooked to my liking. Other than that, however, the visit was terrific!Special Features:
- Awesome foodMistyVIPDined on 10/5/2014We've been to the Cupertino Alexander's and had some disappointments, but The Sea was nearly flawless. Every dish we ordered - tune tartar, beef tataki, Hamachi shots, lobster risotto - was fantastic. The salmon and lobster entrees were also beautiful and excellent. The only food disappointment was the fried clam chowder - too greasy and salty. The drinks were amazing - the Green Machine was my favorite. Dessert was great and the cotton candy and nice touch to end the evening. The food is very expensive, but for a special occasion (we came for an anniversary dinner) this is a great place. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKjchoiDined on 10/4/2014Compared to the steakhouse, the appetizers were definitely more appealing and diverse, and very delicious. The beef tataki is definitely a must, the flavors were excellent. The lobster rocks as my girlfriend said, the best lobster I've ever had. For the entrees, the tuna and halibut, excellent. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Great for a Special OccasionPanebVIPDined on 10/4/2014The restaurant is very pricey, but the dishes that are available here make the trip worthwhile. Imported seafood with special preparations like we have never seen on any menu. Crab cake and hamachi appetizers were delicious. The cuttlefish risotto, halibut and octopus and rockfish were all prepared with special sauces that complimented the fish, not overwhelming them. My wife had a steak you could cut with a fork; great flavor and cooked as ordered. Amazing wine selections are available, also at a cost. Staff was great. They try not keep you happy without being intrusive. Dessert and cheese platters were innovative and tasty. If you want to impress or celebrate an occasion with something special, this is THE place on the Pennsula.Special Features:
- Exceptional, as alwaysTheatergoerVIPDined on 9/29/2014This was our fourth visit to the Sea & we were just as pleased as we have been in the past. The croissants never disappoint! We had the Mero, John Dory & Salmon dishes all of which were excellent. The texture of the Mero was perfect. We were commenting on the fact that even the vegetables are amazing at the Sea. The only slightly disappointing note for us was that the pumpkin souffle is no longer on the menu. The service was impeccable, as always. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- One of the best meals in the areagogirl1213VIPDined on 9/23/2014We splurged on the tasting menu here for a birthday and were delighted with the inventiveness of nearly all the dishes, flawless execution, great service, and wonderful portioning. On par with Michelin-starred food we've had in San Francisco, yet tucked away close to home in Mountain View. We'll certainly be coming back.Special Features:
- Excellent on all dimensionsJudderDined on 9/12/2014Our special occasion dinner was very special. The food--selection, presentation, and quality--was the best we've found anywhere on the SF Peninsula, and our server was attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. Again, the best we've found on the Peninsula. The Wagyu trio of three 3-oz steaks was pricy ($155), but just as everything else we ordered, it was worth the price.Special Features:
- 8-course tasting menu = yum!laneyluvschihuahuasDined on 9/9/2014We had the 8-course tasting menu celebrating our wedding anniversary, and we felt it was very much worth it! My husband doesn't usually eat raw food and for him to enjoy the tuna tartare really says a lot! My favorite course was the Mero while my husband preferred the Halibut and the beef. The description of the Chocolate PB & J didn't excite me but it was amazing once it was in my mouth! We had great service the whole time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!TROMEDined on 9/8/2014Very good place to Impress Wife, Girl friend, clients etc;. Great food, very clean. knowledgeable & attentive staffs. If you don't mind spending a little bit more, this is the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid fareOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Every time I have eaten here I have been impressed with the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014Incredible food, incredible service, beautiful surroundings. My wife told me that she wants to return here for every birthday until she has no more. It was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- roseranchVIPDined on 8/26/2014We came here for our anniversary, and were given a lovely glass of champagne, and a nice dessert (as well as the usual amuse-bouche and the cotton candy surprise at the end). Service was truly lovely. Food was yummy - esp the hamachi shots!Special Features:
- Delicious at expense account pricesCAgigabyteVIPDined on 8/26/2014This is a wonderful special occasion or business dinner affair. Seating and lighting comfortable, with one of room having great views of the kitchen (although bathroom is a trek). Specialty cocktails, good broad wine list. Appetizers of lobster rocks, lobster risotto (enough for an entree) or tuna tartare all delicious but $35 for doz oysters--No. Salmon and other fish dishes expertly prepared, perfectly cooked and seasoned and sauced. Order sides as there is little else on the plate. Truffle fries A+. Meat entrees satisfying but pricey. Entrees run $38-$155 (Waygu trio). If you opt out of dessert, they'll bring you a trio anyway: Cotton Candy, brittle and a jelly candy, all house made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceJLPLDined on 8/16/2014Date night with my wife. Bowled over by the service from our waiter Thomas - best in recent memory. Informed/knowledgable about the menu, great suggestions, attentive, personable. Really made the evening for us. Great cocktails. Food was excellent. Hope to be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional. PERIOD.rizone1975Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our 10 years here and the staff, food, drinks were all exceptional. We appreciated the special comps they surprised us with as if they were giving us a nod for our special day. Our waitress was very kind, knowledgeable and easy to deal with. We are definitely coming back. If it is your first time here we totally recommend the tasting menu w/ a side order of Hamachi shots!Special Features:
- nicefoodlover1VIPDined on 8/9/2014nice seafood venue with the option of steak. will come back again. great service!Special Features:
- equisite.gdeeDined on 8/7/2014There are very few restaurants that maintain a consistent level of satisfaction... this is one. For a really special experience, ask for Thomas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Over-priced although very good, creative food with excellent service...Special Features:
- This Chefi is amazing!VickiDined on 8/2/2014I was a fan of Michael Mina until I eat at The Sea. Food is creative, an incredible use of flavors. This was one of the best dinners I have had in a long time.Many if the chefs in the Bay Area are living off of hype or name. But this chef cares about his presentation and cuisine. Kudos!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningDaruchanVIPDined on 8/2/2014No special occasion, just decided to give ourselves a nice evening of dining. After being disappointed several times by Alexander's Cupertino for the last few years we were not sure what to expect at The Sea. Great to see Tim (GM?) from Cupertino running The Sea. His service standards for staff surely show in this venue. Our waiter was excellent, indulging me by figuring out a special drink I love from Cupertino and then making excellent recommendations on food. Only missing piece of puzzle: it would have been nice if he had sent the sommelier to the table. We thoroughly enjoyed the tasting menu and sincerely had a wonderful evening of excellent service, food & wine.Special Features:
- Five StarCarolDined on 7/30/2014Visiting from Philadelphia-a true town for foodies. This restaurant was equal to any of the beware eatting places in the City of Brotherly Love. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Excellent Fooddruidgl1Dined on 7/27/2014The Sea by Alexanders is a well run, well planned restaurant with great food and ambiance. The food is a bit pricey, however fine for special occasions.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.Masticator1Dined on 7/26/2014Went for my wife's birthday and they were very accommodating. Made every effort at providing a special night for her. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodieDined on 7/26/2014Everything was EXCELLENT...... I was already looking forward to my next visit before i even ordered my meal. Just a great experience along with the food presentation.Special Features:
- Great nightiluv2eatDined on 7/23/2014BF and I have tried the Cupertino location in Nov. last year for my birthday. So I wanted to surprise him to dinner at this location instead. Great service and ambiance. Loved that we were seated next to the kitchen. Definitely fine dining at its best.Special Features:
- Best in South BayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Simply said, this restaurant is my favourite in Silicon Valley, the only restaurant I have been to that consistently seasons there dishes properly, and all of the sauces went perfectly with each dish, great foodSpecial Features:
- superlative seafooddweeklyVIPDined on 7/15/2014I went here with an old friend after seeing it was well recommended on OpenTable. I see why now! The cocktails were quite good, as was the steak, but the FISH was just astonishingly good. That's why you go to a seafood restaurant, right? And this won't disappointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TotallySatisfiedFineDinerholicDined on 7/10/20143rd time here. Impeccable service and the food rivals the best in Chicago !Special Features:
- AmazingUngryDined on 7/7/2014I've been here 3 times, and it has been consistently beyond my expectations. The service is perhaps the best of any restaurant I have *ever* tried. I hope to return many times.Special Features:
- Our family favoriteStanfordFanVIPDined on 7/5/2014The Sea is our favorite place for birthday and anniversary celebrations. Thomas is our favorite waiter - his attention to detail is always appreciated. We love the Hamachi shots, the mini crab cakes, the truffled fries and every fish entree we have had there. There is always a beautiful dessert creation for the birthday person.Special Features:
- Fantasticchairman888Dined on 7/4/2014I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday here along with my family. It was fantastic and the staff did everything to make it a memorable occasion. Looking forward to my next meal there.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMK123Dined on 6/28/2014On June 28, we celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary. We opted for the 4 course tasting dinner and it was excellent. All the servers were so very attentive and the food was fabulous. The waiter (Hwan) was very knowledgeable and made our event very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaing (and tasting) good foodraredatenightDined on 6/28/2014Service was great. Staff was very attentive and professional. Entrees were very tasty and presented well. Desserts were interesting as they can only be called unique combinations of flavors.Special Features:
- The following 347 reviews are from the The Sea by Alexander's Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Food was very good - service okletsgosomewhereVIPDined on 6/21/2014Servers were enthusiastic but a bit too quick to rush us along or collect something that had not been finished...multiple times. Bar alcohol types could be expanded to a broader range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful & DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014We wanted a wonderful and delicious meal to take our 5 and 8 year old sons to (who we take out to nice restaurants all the time and are very well behaved). The Sea did not give us any grief and treated our little foodies as they would any other guest. We had the cuddle fish risotto, lobster rocks, hamachi shots,beef tataki and some yummy seasoned perfectly cooked white fish. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a unique, tasteful dining experience and they ate kid friendly for those with friendly kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for special occasionsleebabesDined on 6/18/2014Great food with freebies of mini appetizers and cotton candy. I enjoyed the grilled lobster all shelled and cooked perfectly serves with mushrooms and onions. My husband had the jon dory fillets and enjoyed it. Service is superb and the ambiance very romantic. The croissants were the best and served warm. I liked the fact that they has a tasting menu with wine pairings. I will definitely definitely be back for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alexander-qualitykyCAVIPDined on 6/17/2014Well prepared food with impeccable presentation - Alexander's Steak House quality! I always enjoy dining here. The bar is modern and feels trendy, though empty most of the time. The restaurant side was busy. What makes the dining experience good is truly defined by the waiter/waitress. The food is always good, but somehow, it was much better this time - and I have to attribute that to the pleasant experience with our waiter. We had an excellent waiter who was personable and anticipated our needs.Special Features:
- over ratedbistroVIPDined on 6/14/2014I think I was expecting to much,so was totally disappointed with the quality of the food. Nice place, great service and really average food. Risotto was not good at all. Stake was done medium to well done(we asked for rare) and really tasted nothing special and lobster portion was huge (4 tales) but unfortunately did not taste any different then going to any other restaurant that serves lobster. Good cocktails, great wine list. I usually go few times to the same place before leaving the review, but I won`t be giving them second chance or recommending it to a friends.Special Features: