The Scotch and Vine
22341 Marine View Dr. S.
Des Moines, WA 98198Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Scotch and Vine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scotchandvine.com/
- Phone: (206) 592-2139
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch service 9:00am-1:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sa 4:00pm-12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam G. Spear
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We have rotating live blues and other world sounds from local Northwest bands. Check our website to see the most recent schedule of artists. We have live music occasionally on Saturdays, as well as some special events. Please inquire within for availability.
A word from The Scotch and Vine
"The Scotch and Vine of Des Moines, WA takes the best of Northwest products and produce and presents them to our guests at the height of flavor with exciting combinations that bring comfort food to a higher level. The Scotch and Vine, true to its namesake, is best known for its selection of over 175 single malt scotches, over 250 whiskeys from around the world, including local favorites, and a regularly updated wine selection available by the glass, bottle, or case. The Scotch and Vine staff and owners pride ourselves in offering uncompromising quality food and beverage in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Scotch and Vine - Best Restaurants in Des Moines ›
The Scotch and Vine reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (31)special occasion (31)romantic (22)vibrant bar scene (15)good for groups (15)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great little restaurantBrownsPtdinerDined on 11/24/2014This restaurant is a gem. The food is always scrumptious. For my most recent visit I had the osso bucco. The portion was huge and the flavor matched the size. My diining partner's shrimp dish looked small in comparison, and it could have benefited from more shrimp. Because it's a small place, when it's full the noise level can be more than I like, but typically the restaurant hasn't been full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy and generousfoodiecbDined on 11/18/2014Generously portioned calamari appetizer was one of the best we've had...calamari were tender, seasoned perfectly, cooked just right. Delicious, thick split pea soup--lots of ham meat Terrific green salad with apple balsamic dressing and great blue cheese crumbles. Pork Osso buco was tender, tasty and HUGE Braised chicken breast not special, but tasty. Eggnog cream and pumpkin cream pies excellent. Room was cold, booth seats a bit sat-out or worn in spots, but still comfy-cozy. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearty portions, great live music.vknuxDined on 11/8/2014This was a terrific last-minute find on Yelp. We stayed in Des Moines for a Seattle vacation, not knowing much about the towns surrounding the city other than their relative proximity and affordability. Craving something slightly more exotic than fast food, we were enticed by the substantial whiskey menu and the prospect of elk burgers. We started with the mac and cheese, which was velvety and delicious (made perfect with some cracked pepper). The burgers that lured us in didn't disappoint, either; maybe a little underdone, but the meat was juicy and well-seasoned. The portions were huge, and we ended up taking most of our fingerling fries home, which continued to be tasty the next day. Live blues rounded out a wonderful dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good from Far but Far from GoodcomputercwVIPDined on 10/26/2014They did not have the steak i ordered from the menu and it was an early Sunday dinner time. The filet i had to settle for was bad and smothered in some kind of sauce to mask the taste. The pasta my wife ordered was overcooked and drowned in flavorless red tomato sauce. The Pappy Van Winkle 20 year was great but the 23 was not. It actually tasted more like the 12 year. Hmmmm.
- Why Brunch?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Quiet but out of half of what we ordered. Caught server on "last" day and the service reflected it. Won't go back.
- Ok little spot.JayEatsBruggeDined on 10/15/2014Perhaps the nicest dining place within 6 miles, the food was superb. The only set back were the staff who, although outwardly friendly (e.g. like car salesmen), the lack of sincerity was proven by their obvious lack of detail and memory. They messed up our order twice, the wine was slightly off and they accidentally overcharged us $10.00. Overall, I'd come back, but wouldn't expect to be wowed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerCewood13Dined on 10/13/2014Birthday dinner. Enjoyed the food and presentation. Service was slow, but we didn't even notice that. They brought it to our attention! Great music list. Half the tables are high, so if older people are coming, ask for a low table. I look forward to returning again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!MaggiesDined on 10/13/2014I have loved Scotch & Vine since they opened. But I have to say, this past week was the absolute best food and service I've had. The New York steak was awesome and the service was just as good. The only downer was I ordered a salad to go, to eat for lunch at work for the next two days, and I asked for dressing on the side, but the dressing was already on the salad which made for a quite mushy salad the next day. Next time I'll know to look! But even with that, I love S&V and will definitely return.Special Features:
- cozy relaxed4galsDined on 10/12/2014Great place to go for dinner. We enjoyed the cozy booth and relaxed atmosphere. Our food was excellent. We started with fries and gnocchi which were yummy. The steaks were prepared perfectly. My Cobb salad was interesting and very tasty. The brunch menu looks good also so we will try to go there some Sunday. All in all a very nice experience with good service, good food and comfortable location. I will definitely return because there were many options on the menu that looked worth trying.Special Features:
- We loved Scotch & Vine!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2014The food was delicious! 3 of us dined...we were from out of the area. Each entree was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome!charmit253Dined on 10/8/2014food, service and scotch selection was excellent. Will go again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Jewel!MortangelDined on 9/30/2014You walk in to a great decorated room with a large bar and some booths and tables. The ceilings are high and the noise level also high. The food is AMAZING.....beautifully presented and each item uniquely tasty. Also they give big portions, something my 6'4" father appreciated. I think this is destined to be my husband's and my hide-away on those SEATAC business trip nights as well as our little romantic spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinner made perfect by S&V!HungryGirlDined on 9/28/2014Family was visiting from out of state. Our last dinner was held at S&V. Excellent service. Bartender/waiter taught us about scotch and gave a history lesson on the copper mug that held my dad's fav cocktail! Food...oh yeah....amazing!!! Yes, I will continue to come back. Great job guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd try again...TryingNewPlacesDined on 9/26/2014Would try the brunch, or sitting at the bar with appetizers and a wine flight. Dinner service was meh, food quality was good - be prepared to spend a bit of money as well.Special Features:
- A favoriteMaryMcDined on 9/23/2014The menu has enough variety without overkill. I focused on the steaks but there are plenty of other options on the menu as well. I had the NY steak and it was done to perfection. My wife had a filet which was delicious but a slightly overdone medium. The pork belly appetizer was delicious, gumbo was smoky and dense and some of the best I've ever had. Cheesecake for dessert was another perfectly done treat. The scotch selection is amazing! Service was pleasant and well paced. The only two things I would do differently would be to not cucumber in the drinking water and get away from stacking the food. I've never understood stacked food, it has outlived its welcome. This is one of my favorite restaurants in the region.Special Features:
- nice decorslowhand98Dined on 9/20/2014I liked the looks of the place, the music (blues) that was playing was great, and the food was great! the service for drinks was a little slow, at first, but got better.Special Features:
- ProfoodieDined on 9/18/2014I was surprised to find this "gem" in Des Moines. The food and service were exceptional. We asked for a grilled cheese sandwich to go with the tomato soup and they made it special for us. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveIlovehawaiiDined on 9/14/2014Love this place. Great fun menu. We love to take visitors here due to the fun menu. It's always a hit I want to scream though ... Please someone in management sit and look at round and DUST. Wow. So much dust around the booths sides and curtain areas. We love it there so this is a plea. We never had great service - so fun helpful and friendly - but wow what does it take to get a refill of coffee. We love it but the bad list is starting to out weigh the good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food is a bit on the heavy side - American fare. Staff friendly and attentive.
- nice work dinnerCUGRZDined on 9/9/2014hosted a client for dinner and had excellent service, really good variety of food and we all enjoyed our meal / experience @ Scotch&Vine, will come back and would highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieauntiemDined on 8/31/2014This was our second time here and both times exceptional!! It was our friends 25th Anniversary and we got together to celebrate this special event. The other 2 couples, their first time at S&V. They were pleasantly surprised how lovely it was.Special Features:
- One of my favsranedropDined on 8/30/2014Scotch and Vine is fantastic. I have never had a bad meal there and have worked my way through all of the sandwiches and burgers, and most of the meat and pasta entrees. The servers are extremely friendly and willing to make recommendations to scotch aficionados and beginners. Good cocktails, impressive scotch and wine list. I recommend the N'awlins burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ambience matches foodSiezethedayDined on 8/26/2014On a Tuesday night, had a great time there during Happy Hour. The calamari was light and perfectly cooked. My out of town guest was impressed. Generous portion of Happy Hour Fry Bites was excellent, and the Basil Lemondrop was superb. Don't miss the Gumbo!Special Features:
- YumCathiDined on 8/25/2014The food was delicious and menu had many choices. Decided on a steak which was tender and seasoned to perfection. The cheesecake was to die for. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing specialnancyDined on 8/24/2014food excellent as always, but today service really lacking...and the sad part was they weren't seated to capacity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Scotch ListorangefrappeDined on 8/22/2014They have an excellent Scotch list for having flights to try new and different Scotch's. The food was great as well. The asparagus appetizer was awesome and the pork chop were great. The chocolate mousse silk was to die for.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014So it was date night and we went to S & V, the wait staff was attentive at first and then seemed to forget about us, the executive did check on us, but, we had to ask for our water to be refilled, our food was delivered bydifferent person, we where informed that they were short staffed, after we asked. The food was good , no complate there. So I would go back but I am hopeful that they improve there service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNCOMFORTABLE BUT PROMISINGDODGEDined on 8/12/2014AT FIRST GLANCE THIS NARROW RESTAURANT/BAR WAS APPEALING. WE HAD RESERVATIONS EARLY ON A MIDWEEK EVENING. WE WERE SEATED AT A VERY HIGH TABLE NEAR THE BAR. THE HARDWOOD SEATS WERE BACKED BAR STOOLS. IMMEDIATELY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR US (SHORT OLDER WOMEN). THE RESTAURANT SOON FILLED TO CAPACITY AND SEEMED TO OVERWHELM THE SERVERS. OUR MEALS WERE UNEVEN UNFORTUNATELY. THE SEAFOOD PUTTENESCA WAS VERY SPICY; WE DIDN'T FINISH EATING THE MEAL. THERE WAS NOTHING IN THE MENU THAT WARNED US TO HAVE AN ASBESTOS PALATE. THE LAMB BURGER WAS DELICIOUS, BUT REALLY NEEDED TO BE SERVED WITH CONDIMENTS, INSTEAD OF A DRY BUN. THE SALAD THAT ACCOMPANIED THE BURGER WAS FABULOUS. WE FINISHED OUR MEAL WITH A CREAMY SATISFYING NY CHEESECAKE AND RICH COFFEE.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesZanaLuvsFoodDined on 7/30/2014The Scotch and Vine is a wonderful place to enjoy. The atmosphere is warm and the staff are friendly. They work hard to meet your expectations. As far as food goes, there is no where quite like it. Over time and with the different groups of friends I'very dined with, I think I've tasted just about everything on the food menu. My favorites include the Moscow muleto drink, fry bites w/aoli dipping sauce, mini f.o.g. salad, pork osso bucco, and vanilla ice cream w/homemade almond Roca (which was only available once so far). Their Mac and Cheese is quite good as well. Their Happy Hour has many of my favorite choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 196 reviews are from the The Scotch and Vine reviews archive.
- Great hidden gem!!StephatcakeDined on 7/24/2014Absolutely delicious and a fun place to take out of townersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find not far from Sea-TacwillrunforfoodDined on 7/21/2014Great whiskey list! A couple hundred scotches and bourbons with over a hundred single malts. Food was fresh and fantastic! Cab ride was about $10 (plus tip) from the Sleep Inn at Sea-Tac so would be a little more from the airport area. A great place where you can spend as little or as much as you want. Great appetizer menu. Prime steaks. Knowledgeable staff! We were there on a Monday so it might be louder during the week but it was not loud on a Monday.Special Features:
- Not a good nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014This was our favorite place, raved about it to friends and finally took two couples and it was slow service good not up to par just not what we were used to . May not go back for a while
- nice placeearlyowlDined on 7/11/2014Found this on Groupon and with the discount it was worth it. Definitely order the pork (Osco busco) as my mom really enjoyed that. I ordered the new York steak, as their Rib eye (my favorite cut) can only be cooked to just medium/medium rare at the most because it is so big. Wish they sold a smaller size! The New York was okay... a little salty. If I go again.. I will try the pork chop. I could see this as a pretty cool place to go early on a Friday evening (5ish) for whiskey and appetizers for sure!!! Great feel in the pub style bar. It does fill up quick and it is not a large space ..... just be aware that as it does.... the wait service will take a bit. No biggie -just common sense and be patient.Special Features:
- Diamond in Des MoinesdwestDined on 7/7/2014What a find. A friend and fellow Scotch whisky fan referred me here, and I have never been disappointed. The atmosphere is low key and "pubby," with a sidewalk front wall that opens on warm days. They have a respectable wine list and the scotch selection is crazy (250 labels). The food is excellent and the presentation very well done. The staff is knowledgeable about the food, wine and scotch and the service is excellent. Wine and scotch flights are generous and let you sample lots of great drinks. Live jazz on some nights is a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Vine is Fine!Blackirish1Dined on 7/1/2014Spent beautiful early evening at outside table where our Golden was spoiled rotten by the staff and we received the usual top notch food for which they are well noted! From Osso Bucco to Mac&Prawns to an Andouille burger...we always leave satisfied. And that does not even mention the breadth of liquor choices served by a bartender who is a pro...who really listensSpecial Features:
- MarshaDined on 6/30/2014We were there for an early dinner so it was very quiet. The bartender was also the waiter, but he did an amazing job. He recommended wines and beers and gave a taste before we decided. The food was fantastic....not your run of the mill food. The fingerling potatos are wonderful and nothing you would get elsewhere. The meat was cooked to perfection and the flavor was great. We had tiramisu for dessert and that finished the meal off perfectly. I would highly recommend it for an early evening dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabsBabsDined on 6/26/2014Enjoyed wine tasting. Specials were excellent. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diverse menupicklecartDined on 6/25/2014Dinner was nice, however they needed a bit more wait staff, and they forgot to wish a happy birthday, which was whole reason we were there. Overall good.Special Features:
- Puts the yum in diningTCandSGDined on 6/22/2014This was probably my fifth time there,again great food.Had the gnocchi and the great strawberry salad.Was wonderful.My friend had the smoked chicken on chocolate pasta with sage and butter..also was very unique and tasty.The only complaint..a stingy pour of wine.I doubt it was even 4 ounces for $11.00 of the Malbec .Maybe this will enspire them to hold that bottle over the glass a little longer😳😳Special Features:
- Special placelparentDined on 6/21/2014The service and food was excellent. The cost is a bit high for food and drink, but it has a extensive selection of drinks and really good food. Our group will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.