The Schoolhouse at Cannondale
34 Cannon Road
Wilton, CT 06897Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Schoolhouse at Cannondale
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theschoolhouseatcannondale.com/
- Phone: 2038349816
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday, Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim LaBant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From the first meeting to the day of the event our goal is to capture the essence of the clients desires and use our creativity and superb culinary training to deliver the perfect event. We are best known for high-end fare which embraces cuisines from many regions around the world. The focus of our dishes revolve around the best, in season, local produce. Everything is made with an artists touch from raw wholesome ingredients. The result of our skills and efforts is an elegant, fun, and whimsical event where the focus is clearly on the details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for private party details.
- Private Party Contact: Tim LaBant 2038349816
A word from The Schoolhouse at Cannondale
Tucked away in Wilton's quaint Cannondale Village overlooking the babbling Norwalk river, the restaurant is located inside a schoolhouse built just after the civil war in 1872. The completely renovated and stylish interior reflects the elegant and thoughtful cuisine of Chef Tim LaBant whose focus is on searching out the finest ingredients from both local CT farms and exceptionally passionate farmers from around the nation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Schoolhouse at Cannondale - Best Restaurants in Wilton ›
The Schoolhouse at Cannondale reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (54)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (26)scenic view (23)great for brunch (19)great for lunch (15)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fabulous SpotPallyDined on 9/12/2014Beautiful restaurant with delicious food using only the freshest ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in CTunusuallyfairDined on 9/12/2014The Schoolhouse is not to be missed. Unassuming, beautifully situated beside a picturesque stream, this place is an unexpected pleasure in every way. The menu, service and atmosphere deserve 5-stars all around. I look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in charming settingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Had lunch here with my wife for a 15th wedding anniversary lunch. The food was really excellent. The service was top notch and the setting was bucolic. It got a little loud as the restaurant filled up, but the noise level was not a complaint. In fact, we had no complaints at all. Great spot, excellent food and really great service. Will return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treasure in WiltonSchoolhouseRocksDined on 9/6/2014This is one of the few high-end restaurants in the area. Great attention to detail and wonderful wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and SophisticatedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Absolutely wonderful food, great service, friendly staff and lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingmattDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I just went there for our three year anniversary, the food was so great. We went on a Thursday for the four courses menu and got the wine pairing with it. Every course was so good and the service was also excellent. The little touches also made it to, I had made a reservation and on our menus it said the Taylor party, we thought it was so sweetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DomenicVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food was creative and outstanding. Charming ingle small. A real pleasure and the staff were wonderfully attentive.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSandyDined on 8/28/2014We have been frequenting this restaurant since soon after it opened and have never been disappointed. The food is fresh and inventive as well as delicious, the atmosphere is charming and the service is friendly and attentive. Since it is not inexpensive, I recommend it for a special occasion or whenever craves a meal that is thoughtfully and lovingly presented and prepared.Special Features:
- Clean and freshRidgefieldDined on 8/27/2014Clean and fresh taste. Nice setting and location. Servers were attentive. Fantastic meal except for over cooked dessert.Special Features:
- Love it!MorwineDined on 8/24/2014Good food, good atmosphere. Always loved their specialized menu. Never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingmomrDined on 8/24/2014Don't know what went wrong with this Sunday Brunch ... Maybe the regular chef was not present? Food was cold, ungarnished .... service slower than slow Have always loved this place so hope it was just a very bad day. If this had been my first visit I would never return.
- The Food is AmazingInForTheExperienceDined on 8/22/2014Every plate was fantastic. The chef was creative but not over the top. The custom menu was a great touch. We sat indoors and are looking forward to coming back to experience their outdoor seating area. The location is particularly charming, right behind the Cannondale train station. I would definitely recommend dinning here on special occasions or if you are just feeling like a really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastickbkbDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I ate at the Schoolhouse for our wedding anniversary. The restaurant has a great atmosphere - everything was just right in terms of size, noise level, etc. The service was attentive without hovering. The food was excellent - we had mussels in a fantastic broth, a very rich and declicious gnocchi to start, and for entrée a perfectly cook steak and a really great fettucine with fava beans. We're looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great foodpz1122Dined on 8/9/2014Some of the best food ive ever had, but extremely expensive. would only go for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Excellent eveningRogersParkerDined on 8/1/2014Very nice, cozy location for dinner, with a small but interesting selection of menu items. Our appetizers and entrees were extremely good and had creative combinations of flavors that really enhanced the dining experience. The staff was attentive but not hovering. We definitely plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting, excellent foodTdcctVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful small restaurant in a unique setting serving excellent new American food with a changing seasonal menu.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014I admit we are a little biased since the place has a special significance for us, but the food is really good and the presentation and service is well done. A nice wine paring menu as well. I highly recommend the place and my praise is not lightly given (see my nickname if you need an explanation).Special Features:
- Lovely Dining ExperienceFrannieDined on 7/25/2014We rarely go out to eat because we don't eat food with antibiotics, growth hormones etc and I have celiac disease. We enjoyed our meal at The Schoolhouse knowing that they source non antibiotic meats etc and were knowledgable as to what I could eat with the no gluten needs. The food was delicious and the outdoor dining was lovely. Great service and a relax pace to dine. We recommend this restaurant and will return.Special Features:
- FabulousRJBZRVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is our 5th time dining at the Schoolhouse and we really love it. The service is so personalized and the food combinations are interesting and delicious. A definite must try!Special Features:
- enjoyablepaulDined on 6/27/2014Lovely little restaurant. Excellent food and friendly service. Very limited entrée choices and tables too close together. Expensive but probably worth the 20% premium of all the items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlieDined on 6/26/2014thursday prix fixe menu was unbelievable -- the tastes and food selections were really unusual but VERY tasty! enjoyed our night there.Special Features:
- My favorite local restaurant!jadesanDined on 6/22/2014It is always a treat to dine at the schoolhouse. We sat outside on a beautiful afternoon, enjoying the sounds and view of the river. The service is outstanding, with the waiter remembering our choices from one time to the next. My drink is always served before I even have to ask. It is friendly, the food is delicious and wonderfully served. A treat in every way. We dine there regularly as it is such a delightful experience. Thank you Tim, and your superb staff.Special Features:
- GrandmaDined on 6/15/2014Always love the SchoolHouse...I thought the service was off a little and realized it was because the rear garden was open and many guests were seated out there. The menu include a great dessert- blueberry cobbler - which we shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ridiculously small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014While tasty. . The hanger steak portion was fit for a toddler. A happy meal quite literally comes with more food. Service was very slow worth no apologies and our waiter never once cracked a smile. The four 1.5 inch chunks of steak I ordered med rare came medium well. Doubt I'll be returning
- Always excellentArtguyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Delicious food with wonderful presentation. Always a treat and a great way to celebrate a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Did not live up to its reputation. A good country choice with fine dishes made with excellent ingredients. Friendly and attentive wait-staff. Don't expect miracles:.the two Italian dishes on the menu bore no resemblance to a classic preparation ( e.g.risotto where rice could not be identified as an ingredient.)Special Features:
- Great PEI mussels!SwampyankeeDined on 6/6/2014All the food was very good but the Prince Edward Island mussels were outstanding! Thoughtful wine list, attentive & friendly staff, and great little outside patio for dining al fresco. Thanks Schoolhouse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a unique gem...4comidaDined on 6/5/2014The menu is exciting, appealing and different - no menu fatigue here! Every dish is a delight.... And the welcome and service level provided by the Schoolhouse staff is exceptional - highly professional, competent, responsive, with a great sense of humor and respect for their guests. Best dining experience in Fairfield County!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014The food never disappoints and generally surpasses our expectations, with service that's as equally as good. This is such a quaint, special special place that has become our favorite restaurant in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, terrible,serviceCarolynAVIPDined on 5/24/2014I have eaten lunch here before and loved it. This time for lunch, service was awful. We waited 15 minutes before our order was taken and more than 1/2 hour after that before the entree was delivered. The French fries were warm but not hot. The menu is limited and portions small. We would have liked dessert and coffee but 10 minutes after our plates were cleared, no one asked us and we decided to leave and find a Starbucks. The table next to us was informed at 1:00 pm that they had run out of hamburgers. (But, unlike us, they were served bread after asking for it). At $80 for 2 entrees, one wine, 2 beers and tip, it wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- FabulouscawlmeDined on 5/23/2014Went to The Schoolhouse for lunch. I took a friend who is a small eater, therefore, splitting each item that was ordered. The restaurant was totally accommodating in that regard and split our items on separate plates for which we were very appreciative! The food was done to perfection and the service was par excellence. The experience more than met my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional "saveurs"OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2014There's no word in English for "saveur."It's not flavor, it's not taste. It's an experience in itself. We found that exceptional presence of "saveur" when we went to The Schoolhouse. Well done. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 833 reviews are from the The Schoolhouse at Cannondale reviews archive.
- REALLY good foodEG11VIPDined on 5/17/2014We're not from CT. I'd been there for a special family events several years back and wanted to take my girlfriend here when we were back in the area. Still a very nice little resto situated on a creek. Food is very well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceReddingDined on 5/15/2014This restaurant is expensive, but we went for the Thursday pre fixe for $48pp without wine selections. This is not something I would do everyday, but the food, service and overall experience was outstanding. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- The real dealmrp63VIPDined on 5/15/2014We went on Thursday, when they have a fixed price menu. As there are two choices for each or the 4 courses, and there were two of us, we had one of everything on the menu. The food was excellent - at times outstanding - and interesting enough to have a "foodie" discussion about. The portions were more than adequate. Nothing was a let-down. Wine pairings were good, but not great. The wine list is excellent, with lots of interesting and varied choices. We had two of the house drinks, and both were excellent with superb balance among the different flavors. The Schoolhouse is a top-notch restaurant, by any standard. We eat out mostly in Manhattan, and the food here is as good as many of the top-rated restaurants in the city, as is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingOCSCVIPDined on 5/11/2014It's always a pleasure to be back here. Fantastic dishes and such warm and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but slow serviceFoodsnobDined on 5/11/2014Breakfast at The Schoolhouse on Mother's Day is always a treat. The food is outstanding and we love that it's not a brunch buffet with more food than we can ever eat. This year was great but the only difference was that service was slower than in the past. Other tables came and went while we were still sitting there, so maybe it was a one-off occurrance not noticed by anyone else. It won't stop us from going again next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014We frequent resturants often in lower Fairfield County and New York City. The food at The Schoolhouse set a new standard. We loved the quaint setting and the attentive staff. Our entire meal was outstanding. The portions were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service and way over-pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014My last 2 visits to The Schoolhouse have had 2 things in common - very poor service and extremely over-priced for what you get - you almost have to "beg" for a piece of bread and you never get a second cup of coffee - the food is usually very good but the service should be impeccable for the prices charged. Very disappointing - don't know if I will return. Cost for lunch for 4 adults - a total of 3 glasses of wine, 2 salads, 4 main courses and 2 deserts with coffee cost $200 - not worth it!Special Features:
- Excellent All AroundMrscriticalDined on 5/8/2014We totally enjoyed our dinner at the Schoolhouse at Cannondale. The service was excellent, both unobtrusive and gracious. We were allowed to savor every moment. The food was outstanding in both flavor and presentation. The room is beautifully done. A must try and a must return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.