The Schoolhouse at Cannondale
34 Cannon Road
Wilton, CT 06897Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Schoolhouse at Cannondale
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theschoolhouseatcannondale.com/
- Phone: 2038349816
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday, Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim LaBant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From the first meeting to the day of the event our goal is to capture the essence of the clients desires and use our creativity and superb culinary training to deliver the perfect event. We are best known for high-end fare which embraces cuisines from many regions around the world. The focus of our dishes revolve around the best, in season, local produce. Everything is made with an artists touch from raw wholesome ingredients. The result of our skills and efforts is an elegant, fun, and whimsical event where the focus is clearly on the details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for private party details.
- Private Party Contact: Tim LaBant 2038349816
A word from The Schoolhouse at Cannondale
Tucked away in Wilton's quaint Cannondale Village overlooking the babbling Norwalk river, the restaurant is located inside a schoolhouse built just after the civil war in 1872. The completely renovated and stylish interior reflects the elegant and thoughtful cuisine of Chef Tim LaBant whose focus is on searching out the finest ingredients from both local CT farms and exceptionally passionate farmers from around the nation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Schoolhouse at Cannondale - Best Restaurants in Wilton ›
The Schoolhouse at Cannondale reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (49)romantic (40)great for outdoor dining (26)great for brunch (24)scenic view (19)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (15)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Once again...MargaretDined on 10/18/2014We had a late lunch here last Saturday and it was delicious, especially the dessert! This restaurant never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite placeHeatherDined on 10/17/2014I *think* I've been coming to the Schoolhouse for 8 years or at least since the doors have been opened and every experience has been exceptional. I've been away a few years. I walked back in the door Friday night and noticed the staff hadn't turned over. Still. There's an awful lot going right right in that room. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday lunchCTQuilterDined on 10/17/2014This is definitely a "special occasion" restaurant, but it is worth it! All four of us experienced delicious meals, just the right amount of food, ambiance and attention from staff. The menu was inventive and fit the Fall Season, topping it off with a surprise lit candle on the birthday celebrant's dessert plate! Nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tasting menuMEMPDined on 10/16/2014We've been to the schoolhouse multiple times. This was the first time we arranged to be there on Thursday night and it was marvelous! Two choices on each course and each course excellent. A great experience and fabulous value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch at the School HouseJKC19999Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent service, food and ambiance. Delightful experience.Special Features:
- great foodmtlhddjDined on 10/11/2014service was excellent. food was great. we started with the fois gras and mussels which were beyond delicious, especially the sauce the mussels were in. for entrees we had the scallops with forged mushrooms and brussel sprouts with bacon, my wife had a lamb sausage and mint linguine that had a little kick to it which was perfect. For dessert we had the apple tart that was delicious. we had originally opted for the chocolate souffle that must be ordered ahead of time, but were rather disappointed with it when we tried it. besides that everything else was fantastic. we would definitely come back. place was very busy so make sure to have reservations.Special Features:
- Great Lunch on a Saturday AfternooneastcoastgirlDined on 10/11/2014Delicious food, wonderful ambiance and wait staff. I will come back again and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in all respectsDMF1902VIPDined on 10/10/2014Good food, atmosphere and service. But beware of the map on Opentable, which is wrong. The location is NOT on New Canaan Rd.Special Features:
- FabulousArtguyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Always a treat. Loved the four course prix fixed dinner on Thursday. Wine pairing excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Treat yourselves and have dinner at The Schoolhouse. Outstanding, delicious food in a very welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful placeddavidVIPDined on 10/4/2014This is a former one-room schoolhouse, hence the name. The food is made with love, and the service with care. Dish after dish, from the simple to the complex, are special and unique. The pasta with lamb sausage was outstanding. The Schoolhouse burger was fabulous. The wine list is filled with reasonably priced alternatives, although my favorite is the staff picks section. There is little point in describing particular dishes, as the dishes change virtually every night. One thing to note, depending on your appetite you may find the portions on the small side, but for me they were perfect.Special Features:
- Our favorite in the areaDebbieOVIPDined on 10/3/2014The staff is always so pleasant and Tim is a genius at interesting and delicious food combinations. Charming, tiny old schoolhouse in Cannondale - with farm to table fare that is some of the best in Fairfield County. Great for special occasions (if you let them know ahead of time, your event is almost always printed on your menu), beautiful attention to detail, but still retains a homey, casual feel. Also a great value for weekend and special occasion brunch.Special Features:
- KFFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014A delightful dinner, perfectly cooked duck breast, great scallops. We went for a birthday dinner and didn't want the usual loud, crowded suburban restaurant on a saturday nite. It was much more relaxed, maybe 10 talbes in the school house - a really nice small atmosphere. Even printed out Happy Birthday and our name on the menu ! A lovely chocolate souffle.. very nice wine list. Looks like a nice outdoor setting for lunches!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the best!CTdinerDined on 9/27/2014Impeccable restaurant in every way. Friendly staff, delicious drinks, great food and decadent desserts make this place a perfect choice every time! Delicious and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Schoolhouse Restaurant - Wilton, CTlive2eatDined on 9/27/2014We were there on a Saturday night and the restaurant was full. It's small and charming - in an actual former one room schoolhouse. The service was friendly if a bit frantic but food was served in a timely fashion and we didn't feel rushed. It is described as a farm to table restaurant using local produce so I imagine the menu changes quite often. The duck confit appetizer and the fettucine with lamb main course were wonderful. They offer a sinful sounding chocolate soufflé that none of us ordered but the apple crisp with ice cream was luscious. The one drawback was the noise level which made it difficult to hear conversations at our table. However I would not let that deter me from returning which we plan to do.Special Features:
- A Lovely, Special PlaceStephenDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I came for an anniversary. At first we were uneasy: looked austere, noisy people. But then the magic set in. The service was friendly and polite. The wines were reasonably priced gems. The food was lovely. I had an appetizer of duck-filled ravioli. The pasta wrappers alone would have made a first-class appetizer, perfect blend between resistance and tenderness, lovely wheaty flavor. The filling was dense and earthy, essence of duck. Our entrees were a fettucine with lamb sausage, olives, etc for my wife and duck breast for me. Both were great. We had a great Barbaresco reasonably priced. Dessert was elegant vanilla custard with sorbet any honey comb. A nice Calvados ended the meal. Not cheap but not expensive for what we got.Special Features:
- Lived up to positive reviewscherieeeDined on 9/26/2014We really enjoyed the Schoolhouse at Cannondale and will return. For us, it is more of a special occasion restaurant but will try to get back a little more than that since the food was exceptional.Special Features:
- Amazing brunchFoodloverDined on 9/21/2014Food was really good, staff were friendly, the atmosphere was also really good. Nothing negative to say we loved it. Specific mention to the best hot chocolate I have ever had and homemade marshmallows. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SpotPallyDined on 9/12/2014Beautiful restaurant with delicious food using only the freshest ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in CTunusuallyfairDined on 9/12/2014The Schoolhouse is not to be missed. Unassuming, beautifully situated beside a picturesque stream, this place is an unexpected pleasure in every way. The menu, service and atmosphere deserve 5-stars all around. I look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in charming settingEgp06611Dined on 9/12/2014Had lunch here with my wife for a 15th wedding anniversary lunch. The food was really excellent. The service was top notch and the setting was bucolic. It got a little loud as the restaurant filled up, but the noise level was not a complaint. In fact, we had no complaints at all. Great spot, excellent food and really great service. Will return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treasure in WiltonSchoolhouseRocksDined on 9/6/2014This is one of the few high-end restaurants in the area. Great attention to detail and wonderful wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and SophisticatedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Absolutely wonderful food, great service, friendly staff and lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingmattDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I just went there for our three year anniversary, the food was so great. We went on a Thursday for the four courses menu and got the wine pairing with it. Every course was so good and the service was also excellent. The little touches also made it to, I had made a reservation and on our menus it said the Taylor party, we thought it was so sweetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DomenicVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food was creative and outstanding. Charming ingle small. A real pleasure and the staff were wonderfully attentive.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSandyVIPDined on 8/28/2014We have been frequenting this restaurant since soon after it opened and have never been disappointed. The food is fresh and inventive as well as delicious, the atmosphere is charming and the service is friendly and attentive. Since it is not inexpensive, I recommend it for a special occasion or whenever craves a meal that is thoughtfully and lovingly presented and prepared.Special Features:
- Clean and freshRidgefieldDined on 8/27/2014Clean and fresh taste. Nice setting and location. Servers were attentive. Fantastic meal except for over cooked dessert.Special Features:
- Love it!MorwineDined on 8/24/2014Good food, good atmosphere. Always loved their specialized menu. Never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingmomrDined on 8/24/2014Don't know what went wrong with this Sunday Brunch ... Maybe the regular chef was not present? Food was cold, ungarnished .... service slower than slow Have always loved this place so hope it was just a very bad day. If this had been my first visit I would never return.
- The Food is AmazingInForTheExperienceDined on 8/22/2014Every plate was fantastic. The chef was creative but not over the top. The custom menu was a great touch. We sat indoors and are looking forward to coming back to experience their outdoor seating area. The location is particularly charming, right behind the Cannondale train station. I would definitely recommend dinning here on special occasions or if you are just feeling like a really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastickbkbDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I ate at the Schoolhouse for our wedding anniversary. The restaurant has a great atmosphere - everything was just right in terms of size, noise level, etc. The service was attentive without hovering. The food was excellent - we had mussels in a fantastic broth, a very rich and declicious gnocchi to start, and for entrée a perfectly cook steak and a really great fettucine with fava beans. We're looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great foodpz1122Dined on 8/9/2014Some of the best food ive ever had, but extremely expensive. would only go for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Excellent eveningRogersParkerDined on 8/1/2014Very nice, cozy location for dinner, with a small but interesting selection of menu items. Our appetizers and entrees were extremely good and had creative combinations of flavors that really enhanced the dining experience. The staff was attentive but not hovering. We definitely plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting, excellent foodTdcctVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful small restaurant in a unique setting serving excellent new American food with a changing seasonal menu.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014I admit we are a little biased since the place has a special significance for us, but the food is really good and the presentation and service is well done. A nice wine paring menu as well. I highly recommend the place and my praise is not lightly given (see my nickname if you need an explanation).Special Features:
- Lovely Dining ExperienceFrannieDined on 7/25/2014We rarely go out to eat because we don't eat food with antibiotics, growth hormones etc and I have celiac disease. We enjoyed our meal at The Schoolhouse knowing that they source non antibiotic meats etc and were knowledgable as to what I could eat with the no gluten needs. The food was delicious and the outdoor dining was lovely. Great service and a relax pace to dine. We recommend this restaurant and will return.Special Features:
- FabulousRJBZRVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is our 5th time dining at the Schoolhouse and we really love it. The service is so personalized and the food combinations are interesting and delicious. A definite must try!Special Features:
- enjoyablepaulDined on 6/27/2014Lovely little restaurant. Excellent food and friendly service. Very limited entrée choices and tables too close together. Expensive but probably worth the 20% premium of all the items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 845 reviews are from the The Schoolhouse at Cannondale reviews archive.
- charlieDined on 6/26/2014thursday prix fixe menu was unbelievable -- the tastes and food selections were really unusual but VERY tasty! enjoyed our night there.Special Features:
- My favorite local restaurant!jadesanDined on 6/22/2014It is always a treat to dine at the schoolhouse. We sat outside on a beautiful afternoon, enjoying the sounds and view of the river. The service is outstanding, with the waiter remembering our choices from one time to the next. My drink is always served before I even have to ask. It is friendly, the food is delicious and wonderfully served. A treat in every way. We dine there regularly as it is such a delightful experience. Thank you Tim, and your superb staff.Special Features: