The Saucy Noodle
727 South University
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Saucy Noodle
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saucynoodle.com/
- Phone: (303) 733-6977
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9;30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Saucy Noodle
For over four decades the Saucy Noodle Restaurante has been a Denver landmark at the same location at 727 South University Boulevard. The little spot, known to locals throughout the Washington Park, Cherry Creek and Bonnie Brae districts was originally known as Jim Sano's when it was purchased by the Badis family in 1964. Sam Badis, a former Big Band Leader and Denver entrepreneur, held court with a gregarious smile and warm welcome and served up what is arguably the best pizza and pasta in town. Traveling the country in the '60's and 70's Sam would frequently buy unique antiques in small towns and haul them back to the Saucy Noodle to adorn the restaurant's, now famous, red velvet walls.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Saucy Noodle - Best Restaurants in Cherry Creek ›
The Saucy Noodle reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)kid-friendly (16)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great food, good price, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was fantastic with plenty of options for picky eaters. I especially recommend the calamari. The price point is really reasonable, especially for the east Washington Park area. The atmosphere is comfortable and relaxed, there were lots of families and kids. Noise level wasn't too bad considering how open the main dining room is. Only two downfalls, the menu is limited for dairy free diets and the parking is almost non-existent. However, I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/7/2014Traditional Italian pizza and pasta place. Good food, spicy arriabata, and prices are very reasonable. Ambience is fit for families.Special Features:
- GREAT foodJBoogieDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent! Huge portions, reasonable priced and delicious!! Best Italian food I've had in a long time, if not ever. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time8itallDined on 10/10/2014What a great find. The Saucy Noodle is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. I plan on many more visits.Special Features:
- sauce and noodles..silverduckDined on 9/27/2014Very flavorful sauce and an excellent menu of selections...what's not to like? ??Special Features:
- Family favoriteFreeporterDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful Italian food, generous portions, and a favorite place to take our granddaughters. There seem to be two informal "seatings": early for families and later for adults. A great place for everyone.Special Features:
- Everything was excellentHappyDinerDined on 9/13/2014The service was excellent and all of the foods were delicious and well presented. The desserts were exceptional with some unique choices. I will be backSpecial Features:
- Warning: objects on menu may be...CassieDined on 9/4/2014Less appealing than they appear. After reading lots of reviews in which people praise this food, I was pretty surprised to find it mayyybe mediocre. A bit of creativity in presentation could go a long way. Then again, if the waitress hadn't thrown our food in front of us and walked away faster than we could ask for more water... It might have been enjoybable. The waitress acted like we were more of an inconvenience than a paying table. I'm also a waitress and can recognize when someone is needlessly filling waters and pushing the bill on someone in the hopes that they will leave. But this seems pretty inappropriate at 730pm when you are obviously still open. Even if it's only "on the other side of the restaurant." No reason to go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014We haven't been to Saucy Noodle for a while, and after our most recent visit I doubt we'll be back. Service was extremely slow (it was busy, but not chaos). Calamari - overcooked and bland to the point of almost being tasteless. Salads - new dishes mean smaller salads means more profit and less happy cutomers. $5.95 for iceberg lettuce, two olives, one radish slice, one cherry tomato and 6 garbanzo beans. Really? Had to ask for breadsticks as the kitchen forgot them. When our pizzas finally came, they were fine, but the quality has definitely degraded. There's no need to go to a subpar restaurant in Denver. There are too many other great places to choose from. Note: We did not complain while there, leaving them no chance to remedy.
- The following 283 reviews are from the The Saucy Noodle reviews archive.
- blueberryblueberryVIPDined on 7/24/2014The food was great and Stu, our server was very knowledgable about the menu items and he was extremely helpful and efficient!Special Features:
- A must try!mcrowDined on 7/18/2014We had been meaning to try saucy noodle for months, but had been disappointed in other Italian restaurants near by. This was definitely a hit! Though the popcorn was weird and the garlic bread less than desirable our caprese was delicious and the pasta combination plate we ordered was amazing! Old school delicious dishes. This is no fancy presentation. Just down home, how your Italian grandma made it. I would definitely recommend trying it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014We love Saucy Noodle! It's our go to place for our teenager's birthdays and other family events. Fantastic, authentic food, great service, good prices.Special Features:
- MemoriesJackBrandoDined on 7/8/2014I have another great memory of dining at Saucy Noodle. They accomodated our party of eight and made my birthday celebration with friends special and memorable. Both the service and food were outstanding as usual. The owners and staff are like family to us. Every time we dine thete it's like going over to Aunt Gina's house in Brooklyn. La Familia! Chin don!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good PizzaStartedgoodDined on 6/25/2014My wife and I ate for the first time at the Saucy Noodle. We ordered the baked olives as an appetizer followed by a meat lovers pizza. The baked olives were good, but not outstanding. The black olives were stuffed with cheese and covered in breading- they could have used more herbs and flavor. The waitress stated they have the best pizza and it was actually very, very good. The pizza was not dripping in grease when it was served. Our server was excellent, she was always checking on our drinks and topping them off. I will go back again to try some of their other dishes.Special Features:
- joanVIPDined on 6/17/2014excellent food, excellent service, good value, moderately pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceVegHead70Dined on 6/14/2014Very nice and responsive staff. The food was great Italian comfort food. The spicy Arribiatta was just what I needed after a rainy afternoon. Also, the Left Hand Nitro Sawtooth Ale was nice to see on draught.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food and serviceJackBrandoDined on 6/11/2014This place never dissapoints. The owners are ever present and it shows in the quality of food as well as the attentive and friendly service. Always a good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at the Saucy NoodleiSoldierDined on 5/28/2014Outstanding food and great service! Aside from a couple of crying and screaming kids and overpriced wine it was a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarshaDined on 5/17/2014I've been going to Saucy Noodle since the 80s and still love the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!skellyDined on 5/11/2014The Saucy Noodle has always been a favorite of mine. The ambience is usually very good, although a bit noisy. We went for Mother's Day and felt lucky that we were able to make a reservation that morning using Open Table. The food was great but we had a seat facing the kitchen which made it particularly noisy. I would recommend The Saucy Noodle to anyone that loves a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingErokVIPDined on 5/9/2014I have dined here in the past but it's been a while. This time was disappointing. The food was ok but incredibly unhealthy, unnecessary cheese, butter and fat. The service was good but I don't think I would return.
- Just wonderfulSportDined on 5/8/2014Don't miss Morey Amsterdam's Fried Ravioli! Don't change a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian.thomDined on 5/3/2014Salad was especially delicious . Main course and wine were good plentiful and reasonable. Restaurant still has incandescent light bulbs which seems wasteful. A little noisy but things settled down after 7:30Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timexpressoyourself2Dined on 4/25/2014We had been here several times and had come again for 5280. Smartly they gave coupons if you couldn't eat a whole pizza for 5280 so we went back and the pizza was fantastic. We have a great waitress and a fun night/Special Features:
- Not as good as beforeRonnieDined on 4/19/2014Appetizer wasn't very good and popcorn instead of bread to begin with???? Texas Toast came later. Lost their Italian feel I fear!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with history.FunnNapaDined on 4/14/2014I grew up in Denver and have known about the Saucy Noodle for a while. The location is in a great neighbourhood. Make sure you try the Bonnie Brea ice cream shop up the street. The food at the Saucy Noodle was good. It's classic Italian food. The calamari was delicious and not too oily. The rigatoni with the ariabiatta sauce was delicious. My wife had the linguini and it was good too. Caesar, the server, was very attentive and friendly. I would highly recommend this restaurant. The food has a lot of flavor and the staff is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat visit. Great foodBretDined on 4/12/2014This is second visit to Saucy noodle. Was hoping for a good of food and time as my first visit. I was not disappointed. Reservation was easy on open table, we were seated promptly, service was great start to finish and everyone had a great meal ! You won't go home hungry ( cliche, but true! ) look forward to going back trying more from the menu !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the $8 after 8 o'clock menuReedVIPDined on 3/31/2014Great for a late night dinner. Love the half pasta with meatball bread and a salad for $8. Can't beat it!
- I love the homemade linguine!JoeNamouthDined on 3/28/2014The saucy noodles one of my favorite neighborhood gems. I absolutely Kraetzer homemade linguine, and spicy Italian sausage. The lasagnas wonderful as well. I always get the large portion because it's only a couple dollars more… And I take the rest home for lunches. Sometimes I think the linguines better the next day, it's just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- angry but exceptionalChetDined on 3/14/2014The garlic sause is advertised as angy, and though it had some bite to it, it wasn't quite as angry as I thought it was going to be. I loved every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in the neighborhoodShortbarbDined on 3/7/2014We live in the neighborhood and have witnessed the evolution of the current Saucy Noodle. I really appreciate the gluten-free items, which are much better quality than in other restaurants. The shrimp scampi is not saturated in oil or butter. The dinner salads are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedJackBrandoDined on 3/1/2014This place is intimate, like eating at grandma's if she was 40 something. Friendly service, excellent food and wine and affordable prices. The owners are present most nights and Nate's baked chocolate treats are a nice ending to any evening. The staff is loyal and accomodating. This place is a neighboirhood gem, not to missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Everything was perfect. The food was fabulous and our server made the meal exceptional. I loved the gorgonzola dressing and their pizza is the bomb! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY!ShannonDined on 2/23/2014This place was delicious! The portions are huge, so you will have left overs for later. The staff were all very friendly as well. It is a laid back scence, great for a date or to take the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014The food and service is always excellent. The portions are very generous. Very relaxed atmosphere in a comfortable setting.
- Incredible Italian!JimmyboyDined on 2/15/2014Great food, excellent service, fairly priced. My only caveat is with parking, plan ahead, always a problem with neighborhood venues that don't have their own parking lot, but the food is well worth any hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spotJackBrandoDined on 2/14/2014This has been a favorite of ours for years. It is our go to place for all occasions and our any time dining spot too. We love the staff, owners are on site most nights and the food is great with a wine list that is reasonable in price and never short on variety. The ambience is family friendly, but being an Italian restuarant it still has romantic charm. Go, eat and love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Established Neighborhood RestaurantCoolheatVIPDined on 1/31/2014Have driven by the Saucy Noodle for years and wanted to try it. We had an engagement in the area and thought it would be convenient to dine there. If the prices were about 2/3 of what they charge, it might be worth eating there, if you were looking for something for a family and weren't looking for real Italian cooking. Marinara tasted like it came from a jar. Portions were able, though.
- Excellent Italian red sauceCathyDined on 1/17/2014Red sauce thick, garlicky and yummy. Sticks to pasta. Half order is large Pass on the fired ravioliSpecial Features:
- outstandingswordguyDined on 1/10/2014Saucy's is always a great place to dine. Staff is very helpful and friendly, service is great, and typically you get more than enough food foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.