The Salty Sow
1917 Manor Rd
Austin, TX 78722Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Salty Sow
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://saltysow.com/
- Phone: 5123912337
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Harold Marmulstein & Richard Velazquez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Salty Sow
Love SWINE+Wine+BEER? From the creators of Eddie V's, Roaring Fork & Hopdoddy, Larry Foles & Guy Villavosa brings you Salty Sow. The culinary force of Chef Harold Marmulstein & Chef Nox Ybarra are together at Austin's premier head to tail restaurant. Salty Sow serves modern farmhouse cuisine, combining new cooking techniques with old-world methods like braising, poaching, and stewing. Our signature cocktail ingredients come fresh out of the garden, featuring local and organic spirits. Founded by long-time food lovers, we take special care to prepare everything we serve from scratch and by hand daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Salty Sow - Best Restaurants in East Austin ›
The Salty Sow reviews from OpenTable diners
252 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (208)neighborhood gem (148)hot spot (123)special occasion (122)great for outdoor dining (112)good for groups (98)romantic (71)vibrant bar scene (45)notable wine list (30)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I've been to the Salty Sow four times now, and I have always enjoyed myself thoroughly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Overall, I had a great experience. This was my birthday dinner. We had some tasty appetizers, drinks, dessert, but unfortunately my plate was too salty. I know that sounds funny, but I didn't take the name of the restaurant so literally. Everyone else liked their dishes. I ate my pork belly plate like a champ. The outside host that was getting drink orders was pretty slow to tend my party as they arrived but we were easy going so it didn't matter too much. I loved our server. She was sweet and attentive. We got free champaign to toast with. I thought that was incredible admirable. I'd go again, but I'd choose a different entree. Oyster boudin appetizer is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAtaEDined on 10/18/2014We're always looking for new restaurants, I read a bunch of great reviews and they were accurate. The Salty Sow was delicious, great out door seating, fun mini-cocktails to share with apps, then a great bottle of wine with our meal. Service was excellent, we will definitely add this to our mix and will recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable ServiceTinaDined on 10/18/2014Our server was outstanding. He recommended his favorite dishes, let me taste two expensive wines to help me choose, just did a great job! Food was delicious! Had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightannabanana4Dined on 10/18/2014My fiance and I went here for Happy hour, ordering their crispy chicken and brussel sprouts. The brussel sprouts were amazing! We also really enjoyed their cocktail selection. They have some fun twists on every day drinks and have great happy hour price options. Overall, our experience was a great date night and we had a good time, enjoying the ambiance and overall selection of food and drink.Special Features:
- 512foodtourDined on 10/17/2014Duck fat fries are a must and both the crisp chicken thighs and the duck breast were delicious. For dessert, the bananas foster beignets were the perfect end to a delightful meal. Large portions, very high quality and great service for an affordable price.Special Features:
- margieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and service, as always. Caesar salad seemed to have less brussels sprouts than before. Pork, chicken, beef dishes all amazing!Special Features:
- Great place, bad servicecah7Dined on 10/14/2014I've been to Salty Sow a number of times and always enjoyed it. This night was fun with friends and great food and drinks. Unfortunately our server was exceptionally bad. I've never had this issue at Salty Sow before, so I'm going to chalk it up to an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty Sow birthday dinner for DebcherrykayDined on 10/14/2014I am an original austinite and I heard that this restaurant was very good so I wanted to give it a try for a friends birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- Great food and atmospheresissy13Dined on 10/13/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Salty Sow recently on a visit to Austin. The food was tasty and innovative. Loved the Fried Green tomato salad and also the Chicken thighs. My only complaint was the service was slow but to be understood as even on a Monday night the place was packed and busy. It just seemed a long time like 20 minutes for our dessert to come. Otherwise it is a great place and trendy food.Special Features:
- Fun foodie neighborhood eatshollyDined on 10/13/2014We ordered items folks had reviewed previously and we were not disappointed! Duck fries with bernaise sauce, beef roast, pork roast, greens, and mashed potatoes. and oh yes the truffled deviled eggs were a wonderful treat! Very friendly waitstaff and nice drinks- overall terrific, lively place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSuzYDined on 10/12/2014Four of us loved our dinners. The ambiance is really unique as is the menu! The side dishes are not to be missed!Special Features:
- Not what I expected...mrskiss315Dined on 10/11/2014...but in a good way! We do not eat pork, but they had other offerings so we decided to give it a try. I was not sure how they would do on the non-pork dishes, as pork seems to be their specialty, but the meal was amazing! My husband said it was so good he didn't offer me a bite! His budino was amazing too. The waiter misheard my drink order and brought me the wrong thing, but he fixed it with minimal arguing. I felt bad that he misunderstood, but he brought more alcohol than I could drink so I couldn't just accept it. My chicken was tender and flavorful...not even needing the gravy that was included. When I was not sure about dessert, the waiter did offer some hints to how I could take what I wanted to go and have it still be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harold knows FOODbadgerDined on 10/10/2014We met some of ou DC friends here for early dinner--wow! We were so pleased and felt proud that the Salty Sow is such a great place in Austin. Appetizers were great (duck fried..Lenovo hoo!); Blanche margaritas, fried chicken were tasty ( and great pricing for Happy Hour through 630!). Steak was delicious, as were the four desserts we ordered ( vanilla bean cream brûlée, chocolate cake, Apple pear crumble and ice cream. Waitstaff was superb, and the partner/chef. Harold visited with us, too. Kitchen folks were wearing pink bandanas to honor breast cancer victims and the fight ( we asked and a manager told us). Sooo Austin friendly ! Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedNicholasKCDined on 10/6/2014In town on business, had no idea where to go for dinner. Tried the Sow based on a few reviews. Was thoroughly impressed. Food, drinks, service and atmosphere were all top notch. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty Sow is Sweet!foodRusDined on 10/5/2014Salty Sow is a favorite whenever we travel to Austin. The crispy brussels sprouts with golden raisins, the duck breast with turnip and olives, the butterscotch boudin, the crispy pork belly with grits and pecorino, I could go on but I think it's clear that creative menu and stellar execution are what brings people back.Special Features:
- Great little findCool2checkoutDined on 10/4/2014This was one of the few places open in the late evening. Excellent food, appropriate portions, tasty and what I deemd a healthier selection that what I'm accustom to. Definitely a place to checkout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise...AustinGMDined on 10/3/2014Took foodie friends from Houston. Enjoyed the drinks, wine list was familiar/reasonable, the Charcuterie platter was excellent. All good with Oyster Boudin fritters, Collard Greens (never liked them before!), and Bananas Foster beignets (killer!). Service was very good, vibe/activity just right. Next time will eat on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectionJoshDined on 9/27/2014An amazing experience from start to finish, my group and I had cocktail flights and a ton of food. Baoc gruyere bone marrow, roasted beets, oyster fritters, brussel sprouts, truffled deviled eggs... just to start. We finished up with rosemary honey fried chicken, crisp chicken thighs, green chile grits and duck fat fries - oh and a milk braised bbq taco. The service was excellent and we always had full drinks and great food in front of us. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Our Salty Austin StayBranDined on 9/25/2014We found the Salty Sow through Yelp and the reviews sold us right away. There are a few sections to the restaurant indoor and outdoor. The decor was great. The hostess and wait staff were great although we felt that our waitress was stretched a little too thin when we were there on a Thursday night at 9:00pm. Since we were new to the Salty Sow we asked her for recommendations and we could not have been happier with the food. Deviled eggs to start, Candied Pork Belly subbed the greens for a mashed potato, and the Chicken thighs for the entree and to finish off was a Personal peach pie with ice cream and a Butterscotch Budino. We were amazed at the quality of the food that was turned out. Locally sourced menus are to notch. We will be back.Special Features:
- Perfect romantic date nightJBrink75Dined on 9/25/2014Jacob was a great waiter, all the food was amazing. Great wine and beer list. Nice quiet romantic night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourHaveGutWillTravelVIPDined on 9/22/2014The drinks are so tasty and appetizers are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Service was lacking...Juice4114Dined on 9/20/2014The food is always phenomenal but the service this last Saturday night was off. The waitress was nice and cordial but was easily distracted (perhaps overworked) and we ended up waiting 20 minutes for each drink after we ordered. This known spacing between visits kept us from ordering another round at the end of the meal and ordering dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummam512Dined on 9/19/2014Every bite was delicious! We enjoyed the charcuterie plate to start, which had so many great little savory flavors to experiment with. As a pescetarian I focused on the fish and cheese and let my husband indulge in the pages and meats. The redfish entree is lively, and always get the bananas foster beignets with nutmeg ice cream!!!! Pecan porter on tap makes it perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!SkilledshopperDined on 9/18/2014Super happy hour, fun drinks, tasty appetizers. An all around winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour options!StephVIPDined on 9/18/2014My two girlfriends and I chose Salty Sow for our monthly meal and we all agreed we would go back again. We chose mostly appetizers and, of course, decided to add dessert. The prices during Happy Hour were really outstanding. They had a great house wine and their spirits were perfectly balanced. The food was really impressive - beautifully but simply presented and very tasty. They definitely do great work with meat, so invite your carnivorous friends. I look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Good stuff!RoCoCoDined on 9/17/2014Glad we made reservations - very crowded, even on a week day. Had to park around the corner as the lot was full! We were seated right on time, got good recommendations on the menu and made our selections. We shared the charcuterie, I had great pomfret and my buddy had pork medallions. The food was all good, nicely presented and they brought extra bread for the appetizer without being asked. The main courses were pretty slow, and the server comped us with free dessert! no complaints, lots of fun. Will be back!Special Features:
- My new Fav Restaurant in Austin!HawaiianTravelerVIPDined on 9/15/2014Had a great dinner with my daughter and her friend on Monday night. We had the Duck Fat Fries and the Roasted Beets as starters and they were both excellent! Our main course included the Pot Roast and the Pork Belly and they were cooked to perfection. For dessert we had the Creme brulet and the Banana Foster Beignets which was the perfect ending to afabulous dinner. I recommend all of these dishes and look forward to trying more in the future.Special Features:
- Great food and drink/beer selectionJamesDined on 9/14/2014Great food. deviled eggs and chicken biscuit were great. I would say it was rustic elegance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!AnnMDDined on 9/13/2014We were in Austin for the weekend and two of my friends recommended the Salty Sow. Our table was ready when we arrived, we got excellent service, and all the food was delicious. One of our group didn't like her entree, but it wasn't because the dish wasn't prepared well, she had just never tried duck before and found that she did not like it. They did not charge us for the dish and allowed her to order something else. The restaurant seems to be very well run and has plenty of employees to handle everything even when they were packed. The only negative was that it is in quite a small building and the tables are packed in very close together, but they manage to make it work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just outstandingSpringsteenFanDined on 9/13/2014I can't wait to return. We celebrated my husbands birthday and every single thing we ordered was better than the next. I appreciated the fact that although it was crowded, our reservation was immediately honored and we were seated immediately. I can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:
- Great Foodwmc515Dined on 9/12/2014Thought the first time I went there was really good. The second time was even better. Great food and friendly service.Special Features:
- ServiceFoodCharmerDined on 9/12/2014The girl could have been quicker to take drink orders and clear plates. We sat right next to the bar, which was cool to look at. The manager was kind enough to charge my phone ... We were waiting for out of town people and I was afraid they could reach me. It's always great, but our server was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I was really excited to eat here because of the great reviews, but was a little bit let down. Nothing was bad, but I don't think it is somewhere I would go back to. It didn't taste like there was balance in the dishes, they were either too rich or too sweet and lacked acid and spice. The service was patient and friendly, which is always important and appreciated. All in all, I am happy I tried it.Special Features:
- Great drinks!HaveGutWillTravelVIPDined on 9/8/2014The mixed drinks were great - very fresh ingredients. Had the red fish...yummy. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great Food at Reasonable PricesErikVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great food, wine and service. The wine list isn't huge (not a criticism) but it has a great collection which is nicely put together all reasonably priced. Very easy to find something that you will like and go with your meal. We had a New Mexico sparkling wine and Lodi Zinfandel. They were great. The charcuterie and pastrami salmon appetizers was awesome. The 3 of us had a pork medallion dinner, duck and steak. They were all very nicely done. Very nice experience and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was all good.wayan55Dined on 9/7/2014The appetizers were great. The specialty drinks before dinner were unique and tasty! The service was great. We sat outside and the atmosphere was very good. Then came the main course and it was better than all that combined! The pork belly melted in your mouth and I'm not a big fan of collard greens but the sauce made them delightful! The scallops were also done to perfection! Topped it off with a wonderful dessert of Tres Leche cake with berries. All in all it was a great dining experience. I've already recommended the Salty Sow to several friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, the perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014I've been to Salty Sow a bunch of times and every time it's awesome. I order the same thing each time and it's consistently perfect. The butterscotch budino is reason enough to go, but it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and funCarolDined on 9/6/2014Great drink menu and the veggies were outstanding.Special Features:
- Always a winnerMikeDined on 9/5/2014Salty Sow has become my new go-to restaurant for special occasions, date night, or for when I just want to get fat and happy :-)Special Features: