The Salty Sow
1917 Manor Rd
Austin, TX 78722Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Salty Sow
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://saltysow.com/
- Phone: (512) 391-2337
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Harold Marmulstein & Richard Velazquez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Salty Sow
Love SWINE+Wine+BEER? From the creators of Eddie V's, Roaring Fork & Hopdoddy, Larry Foles & Guy Villavosa brings you Salty Sow. The culinary force of Chef Harold Marmulstein & Chef Nox Ybarra are together at Austin's premier head to tail restaurant. Salty Sow serves modern farmhouse cuisine, combining new cooking techniques with old-world methods like braising, poaching, and stewing. Our signature cocktail ingredients come fresh out of the garden, featuring local and organic spirits. Founded by long-time food lovers, we take special care to prepare everything we serve from scratch and by hand daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Salty Sow - Best Restaurants in East Austin ›
The Salty Sow reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (181)neighborhood gem (126)hot spot (100)special occasion (95)great for outdoor dining (92)good for groups (89)romantic (56)vibrant bar scene (38)notable wine list (27)late-night find (21)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Birthday dinner at Salty SowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014I live in the neighborhood and decided to try this place out for the first time on my birthday. I came in with pretty high expectations as far as the food goes, and I was not disappointed. The restaurant had a great ambiance, good music playing, not too quiet, very comfortable to dine in, and to my surprise, there was a TV in the dining area with a basketball game on. Score! My date and I shared the duck fat fries and the charcuterie board. The fries were very good, paired well with the bearnaise and poached egg. The charcuterie was awesome, especially the salmon and the country style pate. For my entree, I had the candied pork belly, which was tender, flavorful, and delicious. The braised greens were an awesome compliment to it as well. My date had the duck breast, which she said she enjoyed very much. We shared the bananas foster beignets for dessert. The actual beignet dough wasn't as light and fluffy as I would have expected, and there was no powdered sugar (no powdered sugar with beignets???) although still flavorful. The ice cream served with it though was amazing. Our server was a slightly unattentive upon our seating, didn't explain much as far as the daily specials went, didn't offer any wine or drink pairings with our meal, which kind of struck me as strange, as I expected the quality of service to be on par with the quality of the food... although she did give us complimentary champagne for the occasion. All in all, I will definitely be back, and looking forward to trying the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty Sow thumbs up!wino4everVIPDined on 11/14/2014This place still has a creative menu that is great to explore. Solid craft cocktails, and wine options that won't break the bank. Very diverse clientele provides for great people watching. If you don't get the duck fat fries you will be missing out on a delicacy - sure everyone does them these days, but few achieve the perfection of the Salty Sow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunSmitheatsDined on 11/11/2014Glad we had reservations! This was a fun crowd. Food was great.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014we love this restaurant! The charcuterie board is the best in Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat lovers meccaveggiegirlDined on 11/9/2014The carnivores in our group enjoyed the charcuterie appetizer, the bone marrow and the pork belly entree. The choices for non-meat eaters are mundane. The Brussels sprouts Caesar was tasty but not too imaginative and the vegetable entree was roasted veggies. This is a restaurant that focuses on meat BUT if you offer a veggie option, at least make it something worth eating when dining out. . Service was a little slow and we did not receive an appetizer that we ordered.Special Features:
- First Timers!RichDVIPDined on 11/3/2014The menu here is fantastic. A totally new way of looking at pork! Very inventive. Our waiter, Jacob, was very good. He had thorough knowledge of the menu and was very good with suggestions as he inquired as to our tastes. Craft beers notably the pecan porter and ugly pug, were also outstanding. A very good value for a great meal. Crispy brussel sprout leaves and organic beets kicked off a great meal of milk braised pork shoulder and pork tenderloins with green chile grits. Very unique meal. Must try!!Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodMarkDined on 11/2/2014Salty Sow was recommended to us by a friend in Austin who always steers us in the right direction for dining when we come to the Formula One race. LOVED everything we ordered: Special Octopus appetizer, Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad, Milk-braised pork shoulder, and Redfish. Wish we were hungry enough to order more. We will be back to the Salty Sow next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You WOWED us!poohVIPDined on 11/1/2014We were in town for the F1 race via San Francisco and DC. The food was EXCELLENT! Had the truffle eggs and crispy brussel sprouts as starters. The veggie platter was FABULOUS! Loved the different textures, tastes, and presentation of them. Best veggies I've had in a long time. The chicken thighs with gravy were very delicious too.Special Features:
- Great place in AustinUT80Dined on 10/31/2014We drove to Austin from Dallas for an event, got to town late so used Opentable to reserve. We picked Salty Sow based on a family member recommendation. Great choice! It's an odd little place in an older neighborhood, but the food was fantastic. The place was packed and I can understand why. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised - pleasantlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Went tot he restaurant after a couple of recommendations. Took good Friends there and it is not somewhere you would stumble across as a little out of town, not far but a tax ride. Well it did not disappoint and the food was amazing complimented with good waiting staff and some great wines - a really good find! Even had a rendition of the famous "when Harry met Sally" theme of the charcuterie board and the mash potato from one of the girls on the table!Special Features:
- Consistently greatTTanVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is one of our 'GO TO' places. Always great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the fuss about?HFlashmanDined on 10/23/2014Was visiting Austin and went to try it out because of good reviews and different menu. Was generally a disappointment. Good was ok but nothing special. Came out like warm with cold vegetables. "Duck fat fries" we're no different from regular fries except for poached egg on top. Food came way too fast and we were served 3 courses and drinks in less than an hour. Seems like rapid turnover is a main goal. With so many dining choices in Austin we could have done better.
- Delicious foodmick1023Dined on 10/23/2014My husband and I recently celebrated my birthday at The Salty Sow. I am ready to go back! Absolutely delicious food; helpful, friendly, competent server; great ambience. Loved it.Special Features:
- Date NightwonderfulDined on 10/23/2014My husband and I went there because it looked like a fun place to go near Bass Performance Hall. We went during HH which was awesome. We had two beers 3 tacos, fries and some mashed potatoes and spent under $50. The pork belly taco was both of our favorite. The flavor was awesome. We would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedjohnDined on 10/22/2014I've been to the Salty Sow four times now, and I have always enjoyed myself thoroughly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAtxEaterDined on 10/19/2014Overall, I had a great experience. This was my birthday dinner. We had some tasty appetizers, drinks, dessert, but unfortunately my plate was too salty. I know that sounds funny, but I didn't take the name of the restaurant so literally. Everyone else liked their dishes. I ate my pork belly plate like a champ. The outside host that was getting drink orders was pretty slow to tend my party as they arrived but we were easy going so it didn't matter too much. I loved our server. She was sweet and attentive. We got free champaign to toast with. I thought that was incredible admirable. I'd go again, but I'd choose a different entree. Oyster boudin appetizer is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAtaEDined on 10/18/2014We're always looking for new restaurants, I read a bunch of great reviews and they were accurate. The Salty Sow was delicious, great out door seating, fun mini-cocktails to share with apps, then a great bottle of wine with our meal. Service was excellent, we will definitely add this to our mix and will recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable ServiceTinaDined on 10/18/2014Our server was outstanding. He recommended his favorite dishes, let me taste two expensive wines to help me choose, just did a great job! Food was delicious! Had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightannabanana4Dined on 10/18/2014My fiance and I went here for Happy hour, ordering their crispy chicken and brussel sprouts. The brussel sprouts were amazing! We also really enjoyed their cocktail selection. They have some fun twists on every day drinks and have great happy hour price options. Overall, our experience was a great date night and we had a good time, enjoying the ambiance and overall selection of food and drink.Special Features:
- 512foodtourDined on 10/17/2014Duck fat fries are a must and both the crisp chicken thighs and the duck breast were delicious. For dessert, the bananas foster beignets were the perfect end to a delightful meal. Large portions, very high quality and great service for an affordable price.Special Features:
- margieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and service, as always. Caesar salad seemed to have less brussels sprouts than before. Pork, chicken, beef dishes all amazing!Special Features:
- Great place, bad servicecah7Dined on 10/14/2014I've been to Salty Sow a number of times and always enjoyed it. This night was fun with friends and great food and drinks. Unfortunately our server was exceptionally bad. I've never had this issue at Salty Sow before, so I'm going to chalk it up to an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty Sow birthday dinner for DebcherrykayDined on 10/14/2014I am an original austinite and I heard that this restaurant was very good so I wanted to give it a try for a friends birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- Great food and atmospheresissy13Dined on 10/13/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Salty Sow recently on a visit to Austin. The food was tasty and innovative. Loved the Fried Green tomato salad and also the Chicken thighs. My only complaint was the service was slow but to be understood as even on a Monday night the place was packed and busy. It just seemed a long time like 20 minutes for our dessert to come. Otherwise it is a great place and trendy food.Special Features:
- Fun foodie neighborhood eatshollyDined on 10/13/2014We ordered items folks had reviewed previously and we were not disappointed! Duck fries with bernaise sauce, beef roast, pork roast, greens, and mashed potatoes. and oh yes the truffled deviled eggs were a wonderful treat! Very friendly waitstaff and nice drinks- overall terrific, lively place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSuzYDined on 10/12/2014Four of us loved our dinners. The ambiance is really unique as is the menu! The side dishes are not to be missed!Special Features:
- Not what I expected...mrskiss315Dined on 10/11/2014...but in a good way! We do not eat pork, but they had other offerings so we decided to give it a try. I was not sure how they would do on the non-pork dishes, as pork seems to be their specialty, but the meal was amazing! My husband said it was so good he didn't offer me a bite! His budino was amazing too. The waiter misheard my drink order and brought me the wrong thing, but he fixed it with minimal arguing. I felt bad that he misunderstood, but he brought more alcohol than I could drink so I couldn't just accept it. My chicken was tender and flavorful...not even needing the gravy that was included. When I was not sure about dessert, the waiter did offer some hints to how I could take what I wanted to go and have it still be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harold knows FOODbadgerDined on 10/10/2014We met some of ou DC friends here for early dinner--wow! We were so pleased and felt proud that the Salty Sow is such a great place in Austin. Appetizers were great (duck fried..Lenovo hoo!); Blanche margaritas, fried chicken were tasty ( and great pricing for Happy Hour through 630!). Steak was delicious, as were the four desserts we ordered ( vanilla bean cream brûlée, chocolate cake, Apple pear crumble and ice cream. Waitstaff was superb, and the partner/chef. Harold visited with us, too. Kitchen folks were wearing pink bandanas to honor breast cancer victims and the fight ( we asked and a manager told us). Sooo Austin friendly ! Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedNicholasKCDined on 10/6/2014In town on business, had no idea where to go for dinner. Tried the Sow based on a few reviews. Was thoroughly impressed. Food, drinks, service and atmosphere were all top notch. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty Sow is Sweet!foodRusDined on 10/5/2014Salty Sow is a favorite whenever we travel to Austin. The crispy brussels sprouts with golden raisins, the duck breast with turnip and olives, the butterscotch boudin, the crispy pork belly with grits and pecorino, I could go on but I think it's clear that creative menu and stellar execution are what brings people back.Special Features:
- Great little findCool2checkoutDined on 10/4/2014This was one of the few places open in the late evening. Excellent food, appropriate portions, tasty and what I deemd a healthier selection that what I'm accustom to. Definitely a place to checkout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise...AustinGMDined on 10/3/2014Took foodie friends from Houston. Enjoyed the drinks, wine list was familiar/reasonable, the Charcuterie platter was excellent. All good with Oyster Boudin fritters, Collard Greens (never liked them before!), and Bananas Foster beignets (killer!). Service was very good, vibe/activity just right. Next time will eat on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectionJoshDined on 9/27/2014An amazing experience from start to finish, my group and I had cocktail flights and a ton of food. Baoc gruyere bone marrow, roasted beets, oyster fritters, brussel sprouts, truffled deviled eggs... just to start. We finished up with rosemary honey fried chicken, crisp chicken thighs, green chile grits and duck fat fries - oh and a milk braised bbq taco. The service was excellent and we always had full drinks and great food in front of us. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Our Salty Austin StayBranDined on 9/25/2014We found the Salty Sow through Yelp and the reviews sold us right away. There are a few sections to the restaurant indoor and outdoor. The decor was great. The hostess and wait staff were great although we felt that our waitress was stretched a little too thin when we were there on a Thursday night at 9:00pm. Since we were new to the Salty Sow we asked her for recommendations and we could not have been happier with the food. Deviled eggs to start, Candied Pork Belly subbed the greens for a mashed potato, and the Chicken thighs for the entree and to finish off was a Personal peach pie with ice cream and a Butterscotch Budino. We were amazed at the quality of the food that was turned out. Locally sourced menus are to notch. We will be back.Special Features:
- Perfect romantic date nightJBrink75Dined on 9/25/2014Jacob was a great waiter, all the food was amazing. Great wine and beer list. Nice quiet romantic night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourHaveGutWillTravelVIPDined on 9/22/2014The drinks are so tasty and appetizers are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Service was lacking...Juice4114Dined on 9/20/2014The food is always phenomenal but the service this last Saturday night was off. The waitress was nice and cordial but was easily distracted (perhaps overworked) and we ended up waiting 20 minutes for each drink after we ordered. This known spacing between visits kept us from ordering another round at the end of the meal and ordering dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummam512Dined on 9/19/2014Every bite was delicious! We enjoyed the charcuterie plate to start, which had so many great little savory flavors to experiment with. As a pescetarian I focused on the fish and cheese and let my husband indulge in the pages and meats. The redfish entree is lively, and always get the bananas foster beignets with nutmeg ice cream!!!! Pecan porter on tap makes it perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!SkilledshopperDined on 9/18/2014Super happy hour, fun drinks, tasty appetizers. An all around winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour options!StephVIPDined on 9/18/2014My two girlfriends and I chose Salty Sow for our monthly meal and we all agreed we would go back again. We chose mostly appetizers and, of course, decided to add dessert. The prices during Happy Hour were really outstanding. They had a great house wine and their spirits were perfectly balanced. The food was really impressive - beautifully but simply presented and very tasty. They definitely do great work with meat, so invite your carnivorous friends. I look forward to returning!Special Features: