The Salty Sow
1917 Manor Rd
Austin, TX 78722Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Salty Sow
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://saltysow.com/
- Phone: 5123912337
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Harold Marmulstein & Richard Velazquez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Salty Sow
Love SWINE+Wine+BEER? From the creators of Eddie V's, Roaring Fork & Hopdoddy, Larry Foles & Guy Villavosa brings you Salty Sow. The culinary force of Chef Harold Marmulstein & Chef Nox Ybarra are together at Austin's premier head to tail restaurant. Salty Sow serves modern farmhouse cuisine, combining new cooking techniques with old-world methods like braising, poaching, and stewing. Our signature cocktail ingredients come fresh out of the garden, featuring local and organic spirits. Founded by long-time food lovers, we take special care to prepare everything we serve from scratch and by hand daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Salty Sow - Best Restaurants in East Austin ›
The Salty Sow reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (191)neighborhood gem (147)hot spot (124)special occasion (115)great for outdoor dining (101)good for groups (88)romantic (66)vibrant bar scene (43)notable wine list (26)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014An amazing experience from start to finish, my group and I had cocktail flights and a ton of food. Baoc gruyere bone marrow, roasted beets, oyster fritters, brussel sprouts, truffled deviled eggs... just to start. We finished up with rosemary honey fried chicken, crisp chicken thighs, green chile grits and duck fat fries - oh and a milk braised bbq taco. The service was excellent and we always had full drinks and great food in front of us. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Our Salty Austin StayBranDined on 9/25/2014We found the Salty Sow through Yelp and the reviews sold us right away. There are a few sections to the restaurant indoor and outdoor. The decor was great. The hostess and wait staff were great although we felt that our waitress was stretched a little too thin when we were there on a Thursday night at 9:00pm. Since we were new to the Salty Sow we asked her for recommendations and we could not have been happier with the food. Deviled eggs to start, Candied Pork Belly subbed the greens for a mashed potato, and the Chicken thighs for the entree and to finish off was a Personal peach pie with ice cream and a Butterscotch Budino. We were amazed at the quality of the food that was turned out. Locally sourced menus are to notch. We will be back.Special Features:
- Perfect romantic date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Jacob was a great waiter, all the food was amazing. Great wine and beer list. Nice quiet romantic night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourHaveGutWillTravelVIPDined on 9/22/2014The drinks are so tasty and appetizers are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Service was lacking...Juice4114Dined on 9/20/2014The food is always phenomenal but the service this last Saturday night was off. The waitress was nice and cordial but was easily distracted (perhaps overworked) and we ended up waiting 20 minutes for each drink after we ordered. This known spacing between visits kept us from ordering another round at the end of the meal and ordering dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummam512Dined on 9/19/2014Every bite was delicious! We enjoyed the charcuterie plate to start, which had so many great little savory flavors to experiment with. As a pescetarian I focused on the fish and cheese and let my husband indulge in the pages and meats. The redfish entree is lively, and always get the bananas foster beignets with nutmeg ice cream!!!! Pecan porter on tap makes it perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!SkilledshopperDined on 9/18/2014Super happy hour, fun drinks, tasty appetizers. An all around winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour options!StephVIPDined on 9/18/2014My two girlfriends and I chose Salty Sow for our monthly meal and we all agreed we would go back again. We chose mostly appetizers and, of course, decided to add dessert. The prices during Happy Hour were really outstanding. They had a great house wine and their spirits were perfectly balanced. The food was really impressive - beautifully but simply presented and very tasty. They definitely do great work with meat, so invite your carnivorous friends. I look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Good stuff!RoCoCoDined on 9/17/2014Glad we made reservations - very crowded, even on a week day. Had to park around the corner as the lot was full! We were seated right on time, got good recommendations on the menu and made our selections. We shared the charcuterie, I had great pomfret and my buddy had pork medallions. The food was all good, nicely presented and they brought extra bread for the appetizer without being asked. The main courses were pretty slow, and the server comped us with free dessert! no complaints, lots of fun. Will be back!Special Features:
- My new Fav Restaurant in Austin!HawaiianTravelerVIPDined on 9/15/2014Had a great dinner with my daughter and her friend on Monday night. We had the Duck Fat Fries and the Roasted Beets as starters and they were both excellent! Our main course included the Pot Roast and the Pork Belly and they were cooked to perfection. For dessert we had the Creme brulet and the Banana Foster Beignets which was the perfect ending to afabulous dinner. I recommend all of these dishes and look forward to trying more in the future.Special Features:
- Great food and drink/beer selectionJamesDined on 9/14/2014Great food. deviled eggs and chicken biscuit were great. I would say it was rustic elegance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!AnnMDDined on 9/13/2014We were in Austin for the weekend and two of my friends recommended the Salty Sow. Our table was ready when we arrived, we got excellent service, and all the food was delicious. One of our group didn't like her entree, but it wasn't because the dish wasn't prepared well, she had just never tried duck before and found that she did not like it. They did not charge us for the dish and allowed her to order something else. The restaurant seems to be very well run and has plenty of employees to handle everything even when they were packed. The only negative was that it is in quite a small building and the tables are packed in very close together, but they manage to make it work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just outstandingSpringsteenFanDined on 9/13/2014I can't wait to return. We celebrated my husbands birthday and every single thing we ordered was better than the next. I appreciated the fact that although it was crowded, our reservation was immediately honored and we were seated immediately. I can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:
- Great Foodwmc515Dined on 9/12/2014Thought the first time I went there was really good. The second time was even better. Great food and friendly service.Special Features:
- ServiceFoodCharmerDined on 9/12/2014The girl could have been quicker to take drink orders and clear plates. We sat right next to the bar, which was cool to look at. The manager was kind enough to charge my phone ... We were waiting for out of town people and I was afraid they could reach me. It's always great, but our server was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I was really excited to eat here because of the great reviews, but was a little bit let down. Nothing was bad, but I don't think it is somewhere I would go back to. It didn't taste like there was balance in the dishes, they were either too rich or too sweet and lacked acid and spice. The service was patient and friendly, which is always important and appreciated. All in all, I am happy I tried it.Special Features:
- Great drinks!HaveGutWillTravelVIPDined on 9/8/2014The mixed drinks were great - very fresh ingredients. Had the red fish...yummy. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great Food at Reasonable PricesErikVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great food, wine and service. The wine list isn't huge (not a criticism) but it has a great collection which is nicely put together all reasonably priced. Very easy to find something that you will like and go with your meal. We had a New Mexico sparkling wine and Lodi Zinfandel. They were great. The charcuterie and pastrami salmon appetizers was awesome. The 3 of us had a pork medallion dinner, duck and steak. They were all very nicely done. Very nice experience and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was all good.wayan55Dined on 9/7/2014The appetizers were great. The specialty drinks before dinner were unique and tasty! The service was great. We sat outside and the atmosphere was very good. Then came the main course and it was better than all that combined! The pork belly melted in your mouth and I'm not a big fan of collard greens but the sauce made them delightful! The scallops were also done to perfection! Topped it off with a wonderful dessert of Tres Leche cake with berries. All in all it was a great dining experience. I've already recommended the Salty Sow to several friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, the perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014I've been to Salty Sow a bunch of times and every time it's awesome. I order the same thing each time and it's consistently perfect. The butterscotch budino is reason enough to go, but it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and funCarolDined on 9/6/2014Great drink menu and the veggies were outstanding.Special Features:
- Always a winnerMikeDined on 9/5/2014Salty Sow has become my new go-to restaurant for special occasions, date night, or for when I just want to get fat and happy :-)Special Features:
- Love Salty SowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I have been here twice and have been blown away by the food each time. The drinks are also delicious and strong! The service is amazing, the restaurant is adorable and can be more romantic inside. Outside is a whole different vibe, more laid back and relaxed. I brought some friends from out of town and they fell in love too. We had reservations, were immediately seated, and we were right next to the kitchen. I enjoy getting a behind-the-scenes view, although it did get a little warm towards the end because of the heat from the stoves. I love love LOVE the Salty Sow.Special Features:
- Excellent once again.BarbinAustinDined on 9/1/2014I think this place just gets better with age. We had the redfish and the vegetable plate--- I mean it, it was all incredible. This is hands-down the best offering of vegetables, and the finest veggie plate, in the city. The redfish was served with a delicious butter-lemon-caper sauce that I'd love to be able to recreate at home. But we'll just let the SS treat us with their exquisite food and "not try this at home".Special Features:
- MomsDined on 8/29/2014We have had outstanding service, but we're disappointed on this past visit.Special Features:
- Food Service Beer - Salty Sow WinsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Great Food, friendly attentive service, and an excellent on-tap and bottle beer list make The Salty Sow a great gem of a spot. It's newly remodeled parking lot make parking a dream as well. Great spot - want to try everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely best pork I've ever hadLonghornEaterVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had several things and every single one of them was INCREDIBLE! The candied pork belly and brussel sprouts are literally unbelieveable!Special Features:
- Great!Soulfooder987Dined on 8/25/2014Great food, beef shoulder was AMAZING! Also very friendly staff and wonderful cocktail selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Birthday DinnerOchomamaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Our group had a great experience. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Food and special cocktails were delicious. I would highly recommend The Salty Sow. We even had a vegetarian in our group who was very happy with her choices.Special Features:
- Salty Sow is amazing!KasiaDined on 8/25/2014I took my husband here for his Birthday because I wanted to find a restaurant that was a bit unique. We were both very impressed with this place. The food was amazing. I got the beef and he got the chicken thighs and both were delicious. I would definitely recommend this place for happy hour, lunch with friends, or special occassions. It's a hidden gem in Austin!Special Features:
- An Austin Favorite!BLey10Dined on 8/22/2014I love The Salty Sow. It is an Austin favorite. I always try to take out of town visitors here. The brussels sprouts and green chili grits are the best starters. You can't go wrong with and entre choice. My favorite cocktail is the Mr. Shaw. Service and atmosphere are also wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!jencDined on 8/22/2014Great dinner at the salty sow. Loved the cocktail list and food was awesome. Somehow or waiter put in the wrong entree order for me. As soon as I pointed it out to the waiter, he immediately remedied the error and had the correct entree out for me super quick. They even comp'ed our desserts because of the error. Very professional. We'll be back on our next visit to Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll Have All The Sides Please!EatingOutAustinDined on 8/20/2014Yum! Bday dinner for two. Great lighting, in a cozy little side booth with view of kitchen. (A little bright in the dish pit but I get it...) We had Oyster Fritters & Deviled Eggs to start. Delish! Not a huge fan of the Fritter sauce (it's too mustardy or horse radishy for my taste) but who cares! They need no sauce! Egg filling was whipped into the lightest filling. I could have had a big scoop of just that! A little tangy but we devoured. Next a feast of Beef Shoulder, to freaking die for, w/ root veggies worth fighting over! Cauliflower Casserole, sauce was thin but you will want to drink it. All! Collard Greens & Smashed Potatoes. Check! Crispy Brussels Sprouts, clear winner! Server was a joy & clearly loves the food he serves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food HeavenLove2EatDined on 8/19/2014Had the most amazing food, nothing was bad. The deviled eggs, brussel sprout salad, the lamb, the slow cooked beef shoulder, and the bananas fosters beignets were all heavenly! Will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Great meal!GC921VIPDined on 8/18/2014My fiancé and I were visiting Austin for a week and I found the Salty Sow based on Yelp reviews. It did not disappoint!! We sat outside which was great. They have big cooling fans going so it wasn't too hot. We got the duck fat fries to start and they were really tasty. I got the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and my fiancé got the crispy fried chicken. The pork was cooked to perfection and very tender and the chicken was great too. We also tried the brussel sprouts and I wish I could replicate them at home. Definitely some of the best I have had. We will be coming back next time we're in Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall goodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2014Some of the dishes are really good, but there were a couple that were misses. But overall, the food and service were all good. Great wine recommendations by our waitress. The room seemed a bit warm despite the A/C being on and not too far from us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the Salty SowLarsDined on 8/18/2014Excellent experience with very creative menu, a chef is worth seeking out, great food. Also our waiter, Tiago, elevated the overal experience with expert knowledge of the menu and wine selection. Our interaction with Tiago added one star to my food and overall ratings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJoleenDined on 8/18/2014Second time there and it was wonderful. We had the brussel sprouts, truffled devil eggs, duck fried french fries, the charcuterie platter and one entree - the pork shoulder. Each had it's own personality and simply scrumptious. Great waiter as well - attentive, friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed itaggieatbamaDined on 8/11/2014Went with my girlfriend for happy hour. Great happy hour for wine or beer. Cocktails still fairly normal. Their HH tacos were outstanding. Wasn't blown away by the standard menu, but the HH food was great, so I'm sure the standard menu is great also.Special Features:
- Fantastic!luv2dineDined on 8/10/2014First, the food at Salty Sow is absolutely fantastic. Everything our party of 5 ordered was perfectly prepared and so flavorful. The menu is full of unique, scrumptious dishes. We had our 4yo son with us the night we dined. I was a bit nervous about how kid-friendly it would be, but it was great. They have booster seats that make the bar-stool-height chairs perfect for a little one. We ordered the honey fried chicken, brussels sprouts and French fries for my son from the Happy Hour menu. He loved them all. The staff was very friendly with him, and excellent overall. We will be returning! Foodie approved!Special Features: