The Saloon - Newtown
205 N Sycamore Street
Newtown, PA 18940Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
The Saloon - Newtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesaloon.us/
- Phone: (215) 579-8310
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The Saloon can accommodate private events during the week but not on Friday & Saturday night.
- Private Party Contact: Tony 2155798310
A word from The Saloon - Newtown
The Saloon - Newtown offers an upscale atmosphere with great Italian food, chops, steaks, pasta, veal, chicken, fresh seafood, full bar, specialty martinis & a great wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Saloon - Newtown - Best Restaurants in Newtown ›
The Saloon - Newtown reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (13)special occasion (10)romantic (6)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not great, not badFoodMattersDined on 11/22/2014The Saloon has good food. My salmon with wild rice was tasty, although there was too much glaze/sauce for my liking. I scraped most of it off. The other three diners in our party were happy with their meals as well. My ambivalence about this restaurant is that the food is good, the service ok but not great, and the prices are sky high. When I pay sky high prices for food, I want the service, ambiance, and food to be outstanding. The meal for four people, which included two bottles of their least expensive wine, appetizers and entrees (no dessert) was over $300, plus tip. For that price, I want to be loving everything about the place, and I just didn't.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLynn1740Dined on 11/9/2014We've been to the Saloon many times and the food is always outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysCeyewasteDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I go to The Saloon often for special occasions and we have never been disappointed. The food is exceptional, always fresh, hot and delicious; the service is terrific as well. Our waiter Eric was very attentive without being overbearing and was always very pleasant. If you sign up for their mailing list, they will send you $15 coupons for your birthday and anniversary. Another great deal! I would highly recommend The Saloon. Be sure to make reservations for Friday and Saturday night as it gets very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful neighborhood findCasbelmaDined on 11/1/2014Service is top-notch, food is outstanding and the specials are always exciting. Drinks are NOT watered-down. Plus we could come in just for the bread and dipping oil before the meal...awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is averageFalconerVIPDined on 9/21/2014I once had a great meal here over a year ago. I've come back 3-4 times since and the food has been fair/average.
- great placePmc1117Dined on 9/15/2014The food is consistently good; service is great and ambience is nice.Special Features:
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014We went here for the first time in a long time. It looks great on the inside and the cocktails are good but the food is not good. Our appetizer, the calamari, was almost too salty to even eat. Not one person in our party was happy with their dinner. Considering it was a slow Sunday night, there's really no excuse for poor quality. I wouldn't recommend. There are so many other nice restaurants in the area, don't waste your time here.
- Delicious EntreesSteakLoversVIPDined on 8/23/2014I ordered the Cedar plank salmon, which was a special that evening. It was absolutely delicious! I hope they decide to put it on the regular menu and serve it all the time. My husband had the filet mignon with crabmeat on top. He said it was moist, tender and delicious. We were very happy with our entrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food and serviceFalconerVIPDined on 8/18/2014Disappointed. I was looking forward to a great meal and great service (which has been my experience in the past). Our waitress was borderline unfriendly ( all business, no smiles) and the quality of my steak was subpar. The capered salad only had 3 small pieces of mozzarella cheese - unbalanced vs the# and size of the tomatoes.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodsquirrelVIPDined on 8/14/2014The Saloon is always a sure thing...delicious food, hearty portions (big enough to share) and very reasonably priced. I especially enjoy going here for lunch as the menu selections are so varied and I don't have to always eat a salad...although the salads are yummy! The service is attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 251 reviews are from the The Saloon - Newtown reviews archive.
- disappointedSheriSVIPDined on 7/21/2014Met a friend for lunch and we were one of 3 tables occupied in the restaurant. I ordered a Chinese chicken salad which was unappetizing. The chicken was dry and tasteless with a few oranges, a clump of noodles and a lot of lettuce. The dressing was awful. My friend had a chicken park sandwich which was just ok. Did not bother with dessert or coffee. Not going back. Service was ok but nothing specialSpecial Features:
- Best in NewtownKennyDined on 7/19/2014To the point.....nicest place for dinner in Newtown. Food quality, recipe differentiation, and quantity for the price. Drinks also well made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsMike75vetteDined on 7/13/2014This was probably my ninth or tenth visit to the Saloon and I keep coming back because it's great food & great service.Special Features:
- seeussoonseeusoonVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was our 3rd time at this restaurant and the food is always good. We went this time to celebrate our 20th Anniversary and I have to say I felt rushed. It wasn't crowded and it was early (6:30 p.m.) so do not know what the hurry was all about. It kinda made me want to leave after the appetizer. Wish we experienced a better time. At any rate, can't complain about the food. It is always a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary feel in a Rustic Spaceeat4bizDined on 6/20/2014We dined for business and were pleasantly surprised when we walked in. The outside suggested a small town country type atmosphere but it was quite contemporary and warm. To start I will say our waitress was not the best. The adult beverage menu had a small amount of specialty selections. Stick with the on menu items though, the house special martini was less than desirable. Dinner was wonderful. The ravioli was perfect. And our muscle appetizer was perfectly steamed. Overall, the food for everyone was great. If the service was just a little less condescending we would have enjoyed a desert or after dinner cocktail. But it wasn't.Special Features:
- AmyPaulDined on 6/14/2014Some of what we had was really good, some was just good. It was good enough that I would go back if others wanted to go, but I wouldn't make a special trip.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014The cheesecakes were delicious! The sorbet trio was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good service with decent foodMoney4miceDined on 5/30/2014We enjoy the saloon but we do not go often as it is expensive for what you get. I found sticking to their salads and appetizers are the best bets as entrees are over sauced. None of is order entrees this time but from what I saw this was still true. Salads are fresh and delicious. The mussels were large and meaty. Service was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Saloon Newtown PAltz123Dined on 5/7/2014Do not eat here. The place has so much potential and so little character. The staff is stuffy and unfriendly, boarder-line scary.
- Excellent lunchsquirrelVIPDined on 4/30/2014I had eaten at The Saloon several times for dinner, and always had a delicious meal. My recent visit was for lunch with a friend. The menu choices were all so inviting...much more than soup, salad or sandwiches. My meatball sub Parmesan was outstanding...fresh, flavorful and filling. My friend's chicken Parmesan was equally delicious. The price was very reasonable and the service was lovely. I will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Good menuSharkDined on 4/19/2014Restaurant had a very varied menu including appetizers and entrees, including pasta, seafood and meats. Very good cocktail and tasty dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newtown saloonRosranne914Dined on 4/18/2014Great place for an easy sodisticated Friday night dinner either at table or at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodeatoutalotVIPDined on 4/18/2014we come here at least twice a month. We've never had a bad meal or bad service. It's always a solid choice.
- Great food improve servicelovetoeatoutVIPDined on 4/18/2014I received a gift card for my birthday so, this was my first time at the Saloon. The seating was perfect. It was secluded and away from the main dinning area. We ordered Calamari which was excellent. We both ordered the Walnut/Blue Cheese salad. That was to die for. My date ordered Chicken with a white wine sauce but, the sauce overwhelmed the chicken. There was to much sauce on the plate. I ordered the Tuscano Salmon that was wonderful. It came out piping hot. Our server was"OK". Just, "OK". We felt like we were rushed. The place restaurant was not crowded only the bar area. Our plates were removed one at a time not all at a time as it should be. We will try it again but, ask for a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like the lite fare menuchrisinpaDined on 4/11/2014Lots of menu options. We like the lite fare menu for a nice dinner of a reasonable portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatFalconerVIPDined on 4/7/2014My pork dish was dry. Service was OK. Waitress was not familiar with any of the wines/dishes. Service felt rush...Special Features:
- Saloon - great as always!DL123Dined on 4/6/2014We love the Saloon and just like our prior visits, it did not disappoint. We do tend to go a little earlier in the evenings for dinner, so its pretty quiet and the staff is always very prompt and courteous. The food is always great and if you like calamari, theirs is really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion made special!JillVIPDined on 3/27/2014The Saloon in Newtown is a neighborhood gem. Their staff was very accommodating for our special occasion. Everyone enjoyed a tasty dinner and the ambiance was perfect for our group of 15. The service was impeccable too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After previous visits, weOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/20/2014After previous visits, we considered the Saloon one of the outstanding restaurants in the area. Our most recent visit was disappointing. Has the Saloon changed, or was it just an "off" night?I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/16/2014The saloon is my favorite restaurant in Bucks County!Special Features:
- Always a Good Evening at The Saloonfvrad102VIPDined on 3/15/2014My wife and I have visited this restaurant many times. We have never had a bad meal. From the way you are greeted at the door, greeted by your server and followed by the entire meal the whole evening is a good time. We especially like the drinks. We usually find if the drinks are good the meal that follows will also be good. Our compliments to the bartender. Warm atmosphere, good service, good food, we are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitadresserDined on 3/14/2014On a whim we decided to try The Saloon. Such a great decision. The food was reasonably priced, plentiful and delicious. Many choices for fish lovers. My salmon piccata was outstanding.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedClaireDined on 3/12/2014Our dinner at The Saloon was excellent! We very much enjoyed the Clams Casino appetizer. Then we both moved on to Jambalaya as our entree, indulging in the various meats and spices which make it so delicious. For dessert, we again chose the same: Vanilla ice cream with a pecan sauce. Yummy! Not to be overlooked, our cocktails were well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-Casual OutingSargeDined on 3/8/2014The Saloon is a confortable place ti dine, offers several great dinners, and allows you to dine at your pace. We have been there as a party of two and a group of 22, either way we receive great service and great meal. The Crabmeat Angelhair entree is delicious and you receive enough to take home for the next day.Special Features:
- Exceptional food and service.DonaldDined on 2/15/2014Exceptional food and service. Only problem I had was the reservation. I made it 1.5 hrs before our 5:30 reservation. There was no reservation under my name. After I was seated I checked my email. I had a conformation so I showed the owner and rechecked res list I was listed at that point. Not sure what happened. Owner said he's had that occur before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good but hadterriDined on 2/14/2014Food was very good but had to send back my husband's meal as it was cold. Waiter was responsive and handled situation efficiently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014We thought we would change it up and try something different. Should have kept looking. The food was just OK. For the money, it should be better than OK. The server was indifferent. We know it was Valentines Day, but I think he would have rather been anywhere else than serving. Overall, just OK. Better places for similar money.
- Not your average SaloonEdwardDined on 2/14/2014The Saloon in Newtown, Pa. is a deceiving gem. While the outside of this establishment might make it easy to miss, the inside has a simple beauty which makes it perfect for a date night. With a fine bar list and an excellent food selection, the Saloon will send everyone home happy. The management is very accommodating, and the staff is also very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish we had come here soonermusclegirlDined on 2/8/2014We were seated quickly and our server was there in 2 minutes to take our beverage order and tell us about specials. The fresh warm bread with olive oil for dipping was excellent. Muscles fra Diavlo appetizer was huge. We were surprised to see almost 2 dozen muscles in a wonderful tomato broth with garlic. My husband had Crab Cakes, potatoes and asparagus. A large portion with 2 big lump crab meat cakes lightly coated with breadcrumbs. Asparagus was perfectly grilled and tender with a mountain of mashed potatoes. I had Tilapia Francaise with crab meat, artichokes and sundried tomatoes. Delicious! Our server was fantastic! There when we needed him yet left us alone long enough for us to talk and enjoy our meal. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentlocalguyDined on 2/7/2014Been here many times. Service and the food is consistently good. A great place close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.