The Saint James
30 Parking Plaza
Ardmore, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Saint James
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saintjamesphilly.com/
- Phone: (610) 649-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am-3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday, 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday & Monday, 5:00pm-8:00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday, 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Schulson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether for an impressive lunch meeting or an intimate dinner gathering, The Saint James, Suburban Square’s new dining destination, is a beautiful and accommodating restaurant. Our customized private event menus offer you and your guests unparalleled culinary excellence, while our stunning dining room sets a comfortable-yet-gracious tone, with white-washed bricks and plush leather banquettes. When you plan your event with us, you can be sure that your guests will be well fed, well cared for and will leave marveled.
Simply select one of our menus, created by Executive Chef Michael Schulson and we’ll do the rest – portioning the family-style spread, accommodating your needs and those of your guests and ensuring that when you arrive for your celebration, all you and your party need to do is relax and enjoy each others’ company. For more information, or to begin planning your event with us, please contact Ariel Bronstein at 215.255.5829 or Ariel@Sampanphilly.com
- Private Party Contact: Ariel Bronstein 2152555829x
- Cross Street: Coulter Ave. and St. James Place
- Public Transit: Suburban Square is conveniently located to Septa's Regional Rail at Ardmore Station. Accessible by multiple bus routes along Montgomery and Lancaster Avenues.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is an abundance of free parking in the multiple lots surrounding Suburban Square. The Saint James is conveniently located adjacent to the Times Building in the Courtyard.
A word from The Saint James
The Saint James is an American bistro that brings exceptional food, drinks and hospitality to Suburban Square. Featuring an affordable, contemporary menu of satisfying cuisine, The Saint James features three distinct dining areas: a bar and expansive 120-seat dining room separated by a sky-lit foyer, each outfitted with leather-trimmed seating and plush booths, fronted by floor-to-ceiling windows, plus a 50-seat landscaped outdoor patio open throughout the warm weather months. With a rustic-modern look and feel and a menu of perfectly executed American standards, The Saint James reflects the new benchmarks for excellence in restaurants: a refined neighborhood restaurant with approachable food that is simply and perfectly prepared in a stylish, welcoming setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Saint James reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)hot spot (9)fit for foodies (9)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Less than ExpectedChefgirlVIPDined on 11/7/2014On a return visit after quite some time, I was looking forward to enjoying a great meal with friends and a lovely evening. We found the food to be less than average, with the exception of the Flatbread which we did enjoy very much. The restaurant is very noisy and difficult to engage in a conversation between a party of three people. When asking to have our table changed due to a medical issue with loud noise... while there were many empty tables still open, we were told by a very uppity hostess "that all the tables have been reserved in advance" Really . ...OMG ....following our meal...we did have a Great Server, Jennifer , She felt sorry for the problem and brought us a lovely dessert!Special Features:
- We love the bar area!lolaVIPDined on 10/27/2014The wine pours were generous! The bar area is great. The food needs improving. The bread was stale and the special item on the menu was not very good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugely disappointingrgbergDined on 9/27/2014Over an hour wait for our food, then only 2 of the 3 diners received their meals and the burger order by one of us was entirely raw. Yes, it was a busy Saturday night, but one would think the restaurant would be staffed properly to handle that. Instead, everyone seemed overwhelmed and was running around frenetically. Needless to say, we won't be back.Special Features:
- Always good - why isn't it busier?Cm67Dined on 9/24/2014Have been to St. James 2x in the past two weeks, and probably 10 times overall. Each time the food is very good. It's not over the top great, but it never disappoints. I cannot figure out why it isn't more crowded. I have had the flat breads, the chicken, various salads - all good. Burgers also look good. The service is always pretty good as well. The only problem is the noise level, which can be high. Last time we went we were seated near the service bar in the front of the restaurant, and the staff decided to dump the silverware and put it away in drawers, very noisily and it took a while. I asked the young man who sat us to ask the staff to try to lower the level of the noise, and they were happy to oblige. Good response!Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/21/2014This was our second time at the St. James for brunch. Great breakfast and lunch options Love that they give you an individual coffee press for the coffee. Great outdoor seating ! Only disappointment was service. Food came before the coffee - had to ask for a few things twice. Maybe an off day for the server. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/19/2014This was the second time in a row we had scattered, slow service. It was a Thursday night, so not a peak night. I noticed the same problems the last time we were there, the restaurant seems to be short staffed. Our waiter had tables inside and outside, which just doesn't make sense. My husband ordered steak frites, well done. It came out medium rare, so he asked to have it cooked more. It was a very long time before it came back, and then he cut it open- medium rare. The food was good, but not great, and we won't be back.Special Features:
- Flowers13VIPDined on 9/3/2014I have eaten here before and really enjoyed it! This time we ordered mussels and they were horrible! Taste was bad & we sent them back!! Really a disappointment! The spaghetti and clams that we ordered was very good but only had 6 clams! I thought there should be more! The server was very accommodating!Special Features:
- Outdoors is niceJimfromtheburbsDined on 8/28/2014We (5 of us) chose to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. We liked the jazz combo, and our service was good too... on top of nice food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014not very good. had a problem with wine charge. the food should be better.Special Features:
- Great foodYellbyVIPDined on 8/18/2014Always a great meal. Easy to find healthy choices. I love to eat outside in the courtyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome outdoor sceneParisStephDined on 8/18/2014Awesome vibe- fun place! Food wasn't great but it's edible. Still recommend for the ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Like it for outside eating, food is just ok. Salmon was overdone, mussels were good. Too much noise for inside dining.Special Features:
- Overpriced for mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014It's a large restaurant, so they have tables available last minute. Outdoor seating seemed nice, but obviously it gets filled up fast on nice days. The inside was cute. The menu was far too pricey, which is fine if you're paying for quality, but the food wasn't very good. The meat was dry and the plating fell apart.Special Features:
- Flowers13VIPDined on 8/13/2014A nice surprise that the food was great!! A few months ago I was there for dinner & did not enjoy it but tonight was great! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice place.JCheeverDined on 8/8/2014We had lunch on Friday. Food was very good - avocado, cucumber soup and smoked salmon sandwich. Three of us spent 1.5 hours talking and eating and were not being rushed.Special Features:
- Great Food - Good AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014I love coming here for the roasted chicken entrée (I get it every time) and the white Bordeaux. My sister-in-law is a foodie and when she comes in for a visit - we always come to St. James 2/5 nights that she is here. Service workers are all nice and accommodating! They do a nice seating outside on those warm summer evenings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not vegetarian friendlySSSSDined on 8/5/2014Although there were a few seafood and fish choices there were no vegetarian entrees offered. I've been there for lunch and they offer a delicious veggie/bean burger which they do not offer for dinner. The chef would not prepare it for us for dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting boringHahndocVIPDined on 8/2/2014The menu is small and doesn't change. The food is good but by now, living in the neighborhood, is now redundant. It's well prepared but now doesn't invite a visceral response to the thought of going there. They used to have lobster rolls in the summer and now do not. all too much of the same. Service was ok. The place could use a kick in the rear to not be on autopilot so early in their life here on the Main Line which has a dearth of restaurants. The atmosphere is fine. It's comfortable. Just could take it up a notch.
- The following 365 reviews are from the The Saint James reviews archive.
- Four StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014Good food, good service, good ambiance. Great for lunch!Special Features:
- getting therehaverforddinerVIPDined on 7/14/2014St. James has improved the noise level. The food is great for a suburban spot. had the fish tacos and kale salad. Both quite good. I've also had great appetizers during happy hour at the Bar. I would recommend this place now.
- Business LuncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Had a great booth to conduct a business lunch. Waiter was great in working around our discussion and being patient. Food was great; highly recommend the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of a great locationPhillyEaterDined on 7/10/2014Awful food except for the Mac and cheese. Terrible service. Great location. It took over an hour for our food to arrive and the restaurant was not busy. Manager comped us dessert and drinks. I would not go back to eat but the location is nice to sit outside and have drinks.
- Terrible service and so so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/10/2014Our wait person was non- existent and had to go to bar ourselves to get drink order as well as check. If I could select no stars for service I would. Mussels were gritty and the only person that really took care of us was bus boy. Unfortunately this was my sister's birthday. Will not likely go back.
- Speed it up at lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014The food was fresh and good, and the service was friendly, when we got it. We waited 30 minutes for our food at lunch time on a not-so-busy Wednesday at noon. I'm guessing that they were understaffed, as we saw our waitress very few times, and the manager stepped in to help clear the dishes and get us our check.
- Terrible service...CarolynDined on 7/8/2014We were seated at 7:10, our waitress took our order at 7:15. Our 2 cheeseburgers & 1 Caesar salad arrived at 7:55. Our waitress NEVER visited our table again after she took our food order. She didn't refill our sodas, never checked on us once our food did arrive...NOTHING. The kind man bussing tables offered to refill our drinks and we even asked him to bring us our check...HE deserved the tip (which was not deserved by our waitress)....so incredibly disappointed. She apologized when she brought us the check, it was the first time she had spoken to us since she took our order. The food was good and atmosphere nice but the treatment from our waitress was terrible and will certainly deter my friends and I from returning anytime soon.Special Features:
- MONDAY NIGHT DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014FOUR OF US HAD DINNER THIS PAST MONDAY NIGHT. MOST OF THE PEOPLE WERE EATING OUTSIDE BUT WE CHOSE TO BE INSIDE. THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD, THE SERVICE WAS OK. THE SERVER DID NOT INFORM THE WAITERS THAT BROUGHT OUR DINNERS WHAT ENTRES BELONGED TO WHOM SO THERE WAS CONFUSION AT THAT TIME. THE DINING ROOM NOISE WAS QUIET BECAUSE THERE WAS ONLY ONE OTHER TABLE OCCUPIED.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014Food and service were great! The drinks were delicious and nicely sized for the price. Would have given better score for ambience if we weren't sitting next to a screaming child and if we hadn't heard someone yelling from the kitchenSpecial Features:
- Another wonderful evening at TSJLucyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Eating outside, warm summer night, great fresh food, excellent service, the saint James delivers each and very time! Always a pleasure, a menu that is reliable and doesn't take advantage..tasty..dependable..a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised that they are still openEasygoingDined on 6/27/2014A year ago I read the poor reviews this place was getting , but I decided to give it a try. This place is run by amateurs. Waited 20 min for appetizers, 1:30 hours for my food and when it came , it was the wrong order, but they wanted to charge me the higher price of my original order. On top of that the waitress seemed to be offended because I was annoyed by her poor service. She was lucky my wife gave her a tip, I wasn't going to give any. It's a shame this place could have been awesome. I noticed that Not Your Ordinary Joes is opening next door, so I guess and hope the Saint James will be a goner soon
- Off night?Poes27Dined on 6/27/2014The evening started with a mojito that tasted more like a gin and tonic due to the skimpy amount of mint. Our starter took a long time to come and when we inquired about it we were told it was coming and then suddenly the entrees were there. A bill was slapped on the table without the offer of dessert or coffee - which we wanted. Maybe we should have just left since that took a really long time to come as well. The management was responsive and did comp our dessert and the outdoor area is charming but I'm not sure I would rush back there. They need to find better servers if this is a recurrent theme.Special Features:
- DisappointingCK42222VIPDined on 6/24/2014Appetizer took an hour to come out. Every table around us complained that it was taking forever. Scallops were over cooked, penne wasn't hot, flatbread was tough to chew.Special Features:
- All around good experiencecitydyenrVIPDined on 6/22/2014Service was terrific with friendly and attentive waitstaff including the maître d', waiters, and bread/water guy. The food was also quite good and the ambience/room lovely. I'd definitely go again.Special Features:
- Service just OK.....DfreedVIPDined on 6/21/2014Made reservation based on recommendation of others . They did we must try the shrimp cocktail appetizer . Shrimp were large and quite good . Our waiter indicated they were out of the ribs( my first selection). Seemed odd on a Sat night at 7:15. Anyway my selection was Cobb salad with dressing on the side. It came smothered in vinegarette . My wife had salmon tartar which she enjoyed. We ordered a second round of cocktails which waiter forgot. Problem seemed to be that while we ate inside , staff had tables outside as well. This caused some of the issue. However, willing to give it another try at some point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just doesn't taste very goodGDMHEREDined on 6/16/2014Disappointed in the food, mine as well as my young son's. I had the kale salad, which was basically kale with a few pine nuts and a vinaigrette. So boring. I ate a few bites and asked to take the rest home; why? was I thinking it would taste better on day two? My son order linguine marinara from the kids' menu. He said it tasted funny and wouldn't eat it. Funny in this case means: it tasted salty. No other real taste to that dish, just the salt. I'd had brunch here a few weeks ago and noticed the salt then too, but I like salt, so it didn't bother my at the time. We all like the cheese plate. It was nice sitting outside. I wish the food had been better.Special Features:
- Father's Day FunAmericanDadDined on 6/15/2014A fun early dinner family outing! Prompt service to an outside table on a glorious afternoon. A few shade trees would help but otherwise nice space. Cold beer, hot food with well sized portions leading to fabulous desserts (and huge dessert portions). The negatives included slightly tough steak, very salty fries, and a limited beer list but the largest issue was the lack of shade outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marlieVIPDined on 6/14/2014The outdoor dining area is just lovely in good weather. It felt like we were on vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for Happy Hour or dinnerHarryandNancyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Parking is easy and free. There is a lovely outdoor seating area, and two options inside - a vibrant Bar and a relaxed dining area. You are warmly greeted by Karen - a fabulous Hostess! The bar vibe is energetic with a Happy Hour Menu. The Truffle Flat Bread is fabulous. The wings are done just right - but there are many other options including kale salad, humus, fish tacos etc. – some favorites remain consistently but the menu does change. The more traditional dining options are also great – including beef and turkey burgers, salmon, sea bass, chicken, braised short ribs, or steak frites. The wait staff is very attentive – but special kudos should be given to Jennifer who is an exceptionally friendly and efficient server.Special Features:
- saint james diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014The Saint James has improved both food and service over the past few months. This is a good thing because the space is lovely as is the location--we really need a good place to eat in Suburban Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/2/2014The outdoor area is great - but the service could be better outside - had to find someone to get a steak knife and salt and pepper - lack of attention after the meal was deliveredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLizanneDined on 5/31/2014We were here once before and it was great! Unfortunately this time we were literally sitting with the people next to us ( bar area) ....hate hearing others conversations. Also new menu is not as good as old . Need better (finger food/sharing )appetizers. Probably will not return :(