The Saddle River Inn
2 Barnstable Court
Saddle River, NJ 07458Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Saddle River Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saddleriverinn.com/
- Phone: (201) 825-4016
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jamie Knott
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Loft - capacity 20
- Private Party Contact: David Madison 2018254016
A word from The Saddle River Inn
Classic French cuisine with a contemporary flair is featured in a romantic, rustic, barn along the banks of the Saddle River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The Saddle River Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (114)fit for foodies (106)romantic (103)neighborhood gem (65)scenic view (28)good for groups (16)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fantastic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014As always we enjoyed a great dinner at the Saddle River InnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saddle River Innmaria927Dined on 11/15/2014This was our 4th visit to the Inn since it reopened and it only gets better with every visit. Our wait staff was very attentive. Although it's a BYOB we never had to reach for our wine to pour another glass. On this visit I had the tuna tartar and my dinner could have ended there. Delish! The veal chop was cooked to perfection. We didn't have room for dessert. We look forward to our next visit. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing choice every timeSteakLuversDined on 11/14/2014The Saddle River Inn never disappoints. The food is esquisit... Both taste and presentation. It's a smaller space so it's difficult to get,in,without a reservation... So these are a mist on Friday and Saturday. I love that you can also byob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningate2muchDined on 11/14/2014Service was great, food was interesting, a little loud, but overall a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely MealWhirlwindLRVIPDined on 11/12/2014We were glad to see that the Saddle River Inn has lost its pretentiousness but not its charm. We had a lovely meal and overall dining experience mid week at the restaurant which was surprisingly very busy. We enjoyed the chef's selection who was kind enough to offer a different yet delectable course for each of us in our party. The server was a real gem - - pleasant, helpful and informative throughout. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent recommendationexcellentDined on 11/12/2014Was recommended by a friend and a great recommendation it was. the menu has numerous items that sounded great. Ended up going with specials on both the appetizer and main course. They were both scrumptious and my steak was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Service was superb and food preparation was outstanding. Appetizers were prepared perfectly and chicken and steak entrees were cooked to perfection. The desserts being chocolate cake and tart were extremely tasteful. We couldn't ask for a better food experience for anniversary dinner. Congratulations to the new ownership and excellent chef for their hospitality and great food. Will return and recommend to friends that expect the excellence that was presented to us..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJamie1974VIPDined on 11/8/2014One of the best restaurants! Not a morsel of food left on anyone's plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience!RatherBeSailingDined on 11/8/2014We went to The Saddle River Inn for our anniversary. Every course was excellent! The portion size was just right. We selected The Saddle River Inn for the well prepared and excellent selection of food, the presentation, the staff, the whole dining experience and everything lived up to our expectations Thank you for a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend based on byo/ambienceRamseyResidentsDined on 11/7/2014Wine taken by maître D as we were seated. 15 min later, we asked to please have our wine! Already past 8:00, wanted to sit and AT LEAST have a glass of wine since there was nothing on the table (no water, no bread, crackers) Thought we were on Candid Camera watching wait people go by,person with a water pitcher who looked at us and did not even think to fill our empty glasses esp with an empty table. Flagged down a waiter, asked for our wine. He said, and I quote, "Oh, you want to have a drink of it now?" Very strange. Eventually got a waiter for evening, Brian who was totally solicitous. Portions=small but good. Very strange broth billed as onion soup served in shot glasses on the house served after our appetizer. Good= byoI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodguestfrommichiganDined on 11/5/2014Yummy food. On a pricey side. Good service, but can be a bit slow.Special Features:
- Just superbGreggVIPDined on 11/4/2014I have been coming to this restaurant for years and it remains one of the best in NJ. The care that is shown towards the food, service and ambiance is just spectacular. I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant. Remember it's BYOB so bring your favorite bottle to pair with the extraordinary food. Definitely go for the tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!WyckoffWillyDined on 11/4/2014Four diners and all were very pleased with their meals. The choices on the menu were varied, and we would assume all good. The chef must have a great understanding of "food-fusion" since the sauce paired with the venison was excellent.Special Features:
- Fine food. Poor service.FoodieDined on 11/1/2014This is the second time we've been since under the new management. While the food itself has been simply incredible, we have been very disappointed both visits with the service. Wait staff is not attentive - they did not check in during each course nor bring out requests such as butter for the table or offer a second piece of bread. The service is also very slow with too much time taken to not only take our orders but in serving each course. This is the Saddle River Inn, and I would expect the service to be as impeccable as it's food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local restauranteatfreshDined on 10/31/2014We ordered the five course tasting menu which allowed us to try several of the restaurants menu items. Some of the items were Colassal crabmeat, cabbage salad with sesame dressing, a baby beet, endive, feta salad with pistachios - both were ok. The dry aged beef was salty and tough. We were also served a shrimp taco-good along with some sort of dumpling that was deep fried in wonton skin. This was very over cooked. The Halibut, with cauliflower puree was the best item on the list. The desserts were not so good. The ice cream had little to no taste and the tart was quite hard.Special Features:
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2014I took my wife here for our 21st Anniversary. We've been here before both for special occasions and with our kids (who loved it there as well). Rustic, but cozy and great food. BYOB as well which we love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jms456Dined on 10/29/2014one of the best meal in years! excellent service! thank you Anthony! white truffle risotto was incredible and rib eye steak the best I ever had!Special Features:
- Rustic EleganceAndreaDined on 10/22/2014This was our first visit to the Saddle River Inn and it was a special experience. The SRI has charm from the outside on into the inside with the cozy feeling of the handsome beams, it has a true rustic elegance feel to it. The service was professional and attentive, highly gourmet menu varied with many specials, and everything was delicious with good-sized servings. It's pricey but not pretentious and BYOB. The owner, David Madison, greeted us upon entering, took our coats himself, and was genuinely caring about our dinner experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great experience all around.1ProfessionalFoodieDined on 10/21/2014It's a special place! The staff are professional and food is delicious. The veal chop Milanese was probably the best one I have ever had! BYO is always great...you can bring the wines you enjoy most and not pay 200% up charge. Look forward to going back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!!dinersDined on 10/18/2014Great atmosphere, very cozy and comfortable! Service was outstanding. We were greeted at the entrance and from beginning to end the experience was extremely enjoyable. Would love to go back!Special Features:
- First time, can't wait to go backGetThereDined on 10/18/2014We live in NJ, love eating out in NYC and have come to accept that the food in NJ is incredibly average at best. Boggles our minds that the culinary experiences being so close to NYC can be so vastly different. Until now that is. Booked a table for our anniversary. Were greeted right away as we walked through the door with a feeling of "welcome back old friend, where have you been all this time." Was an awesome night, food was ridiculous, service was spot-on, atmosphere wonderful. Don't take my word for it, grab some wine, head over, and let the staff at the Saddle River Inn do the rest. Unfortunately after having the cavatelli with pumpkin and sausage, my future pasta experiences will be disappointing. Wish I could have bathed in it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014everything was wonderful. food was perfect. My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and were deep in conversation. i was surprised that the maitre de came to our table and asked us to leave as we had been there too long. the surprising thing is that I did not see any customers waiting. a disappointing finish to an otherwise outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Absolutely delicious ... Expensive but worth every biteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014This is a very classy restaurant for Bergen County. It's a longtime staple. I thought the food was great, but my husband thought the portions were too small. Thet were the perfect size for me, however!Special Features:
- Fine RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014First time dining here. Unfortu nately, didn't realize BYOB. Maître d' kind enough to hold our table till we went to liquor store. Appetizers, dinner and desert all to die for!!What an amazing chef! Ambiance was very upscale and romantic although noise level could be better. Our waiter Anthony was exceptional! Our wine server, not so wonderful. Wine glasses remained empty for long clips at a time. Not able to self serve either as they kept both selections of our wine chilling in the back instead of at our table? At end of meal, no offer to return remaining wine to us either?? Overall, fine experience. Will return but will ask for wine to remain at our table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to get the act togetherBernadetteVIPDined on 10/16/2014Half way through dinner we were making jokes about what the waiters were going to do wrong next. On the way out, we suggested to David Madison that service needed to be tightened. Our waiters were arguing about the patrons who had just left who complained about poor service, my water glass had lipstick on it, our wine was poured unequally, we asked for more bread and never got any, and we needed to ask twice to get knives and a new candle on our table - none of which is a major problem in itself, but when compounded means that the staff is not being trained properly. I also didn't appreciate Mr. Madison getting defensive and dismissive about our suggestion. Those who get defensive know that they are being presented with the truth.
- Special Anniversary DinnerLisaDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I recently spent our 20th wedding anniversary at the Saddle River Inn. We had a great view of the pond from the loft/second floor area of the restaurant. The staff was professional and friendly; and the food was wonderful. Great selection of seasonal entrees and appetizers. We shared the peanut butter mousse dessert which was a wonderfully light.Special Features:
- Sophisticated diningPDCLarryVIPDined on 10/16/2014The Saddle River Inn has been our favorite upscale restaurant for over 30 years. Every meal has been memorable (even the time our umbrella was stolen from the umbrella stand), for gracious dining, outstanding food, and attentive service. It's a BYO, but the staff take your wine as you enter, then serve it as if it were from their cellar; a very nice touch. The chef has delivered both traditional and creative dishes that just about always work. This is one of the top restaurants in New Jersey, and can hold its own against the finest Manhattan restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country charm with city panacheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Had a 15 minute wait for our 8:45 reservation but enjoyed a glass of wine outside by the open fire - adding to the ambiance of the evening. The food was excellent for 3 of 4 of us. The Halibut was sent back (very fishy tasting)- but replaced (promptly) with delicious scallops. Service is wonderful. Place is very noisy but has a great vibe. Highly recommended...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014Every time that we have the pleasure of dining at the Saddle River Inn, I remember what fine dining is supposed to feel like. The service aand the food are just superb and it makes the dinner so memorableSpecial Features:
- Love this placeHappy1Dined on 10/11/2014I still call it "the new" SRI as the past incarnation was bad I still feel obligated to make the distinction. That being said, it is not that new anymore, otherwise I wouldn't be writing a review as I wouldn't want to have that much trouble getting a reservation after my glowing report. Yes I think it is that good. Great food, charming atmosphere, attentive service, we will keep coming back.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Warm welcome upon arrival ! Excellent food, nice ambiance, good service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding and then someRichVIPDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I have been here several times with friends since the new owners took over. They have made an excellent restaurant even better! The food, the service and the decor are all splendid.Special Features:
- Best in Bergen CountyDkstar1Dined on 10/3/2014Presently, Saddle River Inn is without question, the best restaurant in Bergen County. By cleaning up the dining room since the Hans Egg-era (goodbye covered windows, goodbye cheesy fake grapes/vines and hello clean spacing of tables) it allows the beautiful Barn/Inn and its surrounds speak for itself. The food is excellent. Well thought out, executed and presented. Service is equally outstanding. Wine service was great as well and truly appreciated. The only thing I'd suggest is that the owner/maitre d' should work the room more though since this is a true community fixture and former regulars expect it and new guests (or newly returning guests) would become regulars if he did. That isn't to say he isn't great - because he is. A+Special Features:
- Great Ambiance DiningMikeyinBCDined on 10/1/2014The Saddle River Inn is a gem in Bergen County. It's the place to go for a special occasion. Great feel when you are in the old bar dimly lit for a romantic time with that special someone. The service was off the hook this trip. Jason was phenomenal and provided everything we needed without even being asked. His personality was energetic and entertaining. Another great feature is the BYOB. Greeted at the front door your wine is taken from you brought to your table later opened and ready to enjoy. Book your reservations early to get a nice time slot! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Change!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014What a difference from the old owners. Not snooty anymore! Very welcoming! Easy to make a reservation! Great service and fabulous food!!!! We loved it!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014New owners have spruced up venue, menu more interesting but very pricey for NJ ($49 lamb chops!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an Interesting MenueDiane14Dined on 9/27/2014Love the Chef's interesting menue ~ the service just right ~ the atmosphere is so beautiful ~ candels in the dim lit rooms ~ just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As A Restaurant GetsAllthatjazznjDined on 9/26/2014How does one even begin to comment on this absolutely spectacular dining experience? My recent visit was my second, and from first bite to last, I can only say that there are no other restaurants like it anywhere, period. My appetizer colossal crab salad was just that: large chunks of super fresh crab meat over Napa cabbage. My entree was lobster risoto. I looked around at neighboring diners and noticed that each was eating quite deliberately and slowly...savoring every bite. Because with each taste I was silently giving yummy messages to myself. The cinnamon bread pudding for dessert was just elegant. And it went so well with the cappuchino. Even the iced tea was special. This was an epicurean delight, a five-star cordon bleu experience.Special Features:
- Not the old Saddle River InnBillAVIPDined on 9/25/2014Definitely several steps down fr what it used to be. Service was good , but not outstanding as in the past. Menu is standard fare but good. Just not special anymore. Just another good restaraunt. No more dress code, lost all it's class!