The Saddle River Inn
2 Barnstable Court
Saddle River, NJ 07458Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Saddle River Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saddleriverinn.com/
- Phone: 2018254016
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jamie Knott
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Loft - capacity 20
- Private Party Contact: David Madison 2018254016
A word from The Saddle River Inn
Classic French cuisine with a contemporary flair is featured in a romantic, rustic, barn along the banks of the Saddle River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Saddle River Inn - Best Restaurants in Allendale ›
The Saddle River Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (110)romantic (99)fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (57)scenic view (36)good for groups (14)hot spot (7)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- DecorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014I would like to see it more updated I think it is much to dark I would like it to be much brighter. The wall should be lighter & bright. The food was excellent it was a great night to celebrate my Birthday. I like that this is BYO we could bring a special bottle of wine.Special Features:
- A Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Had a wonderful birthday dinner. My husband and I always look forward to celebrating special occasions at this charming restaurant.Special Features:
- HarrietDined on 9/12/2014The food and atmosphere were good, however, I think that the cost of the evening was too high. I have been to this restaurant many times in the past when the previous owners were still there. I liked the atmosphere better and the food was also better. I think that now it has become too expensive.Special Features:
- Delightfully PerfectThelmaDined on 9/11/2014Celebrated a special occasion with friends. The staff was friendly, accommodating and easily managed a full dining room. The menu was great and the specials were a bit above perfect. We enjoyed the lobster roll and stuffed zucchini appetizers. Main course was selected to accompany our wine and it was delicious. Recommend the filet mignon!! desert just delicious. Only wish the staff followed on our request to decant our wine...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceNinaDined on 9/9/2014Tremendous dining experience. Amazing food, excellent service. Romantic setting. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- 5 Star RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014The next time you want to celebrate an anniversary, propose to that special someone or have a very special business dinner, this is where you want to go. The food and atmosphere are spectacular! A classic, relaxing restaurant on the Saddle River with food that competes with 5 star restaurants in NYC! Waiters make you feel very special and give just the right amount of attention. And, don't forget to bring along that special champagne and/or wine! (BYOB) Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much improvedDionisVIPDined on 9/6/2014The frist time we went after the change in management we were very disappointed. We gave tehm a second chance. Not yet up to teh level of prior management but getting there.Special Features:
- The best!!GoldDDSDined on 9/6/2014I think this place is one of the greatest restaurants ever!! I simply love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014Went to the Saddle River Inn to celebrate the birthday day of my fiancé. Everything was perfect, the service, the view over the pond, and the food was great. Will be going back even though we are about to move into the city.Special Features:
- ExcellentJo74Dined on 9/6/2014Fantastic service and a unique interior at this old rustic and yet romantic barn. Saddle river inn offers an extensive and interesting menu. The lamb chops are so delicious you will find yourself nibbling on the bones because it's too good to waste. My lobster roll appetizer was light and refreshing and the Mint basil semifreddo, was a different and yet oh so tasty dessert. We gladly returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!bobbarbaraDined on 9/6/2014The Saddle River Inn is a special place and the service, food and atmosphere speak to that. Price is in line with the quality and portions are reasonable, so possible to enjoy a complete food experience. Warm greeting from David, great friendly service from Bryan and a perfect evening for our 40th anniversary. We go to the Saddle river Inn a few times a year and it is Always Great!Special Features:
- Delicious but pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Food and service were excellent but portion size very small and extremely over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, great night!fejaloDined on 8/30/2014Had a wonderful meal. Definitely a special night. Had a bit of a sticker shock as we didn't see the price of the steak special until the check arrived, but the food was transcendent so worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful.....!RRrrDined on 8/30/2014The summer menu was terrific, and I would have happily ordered almost anything on it. We were 4 and all tried everything, so we got a good sampling. Every appetizer, every entrée was amazing. All around, a wonderful dining experience and we look forward to coming back and trying a different seasonal menu. 2 small notes....my sister ordered lamb chops which, while delicious, tasted a bit oversalted. Also, when I made the reservation I noted that we were celebrating an anniversary. My sister also told our server that we were celebrating our 25th and 35th wedding anniversaries and he took a photo for us. The restaurant did nothing to acknowledge our special event, which was a bit of a miss. Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate food and serviceBigKahunaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Always a staple for fine dining but new ownership has done a fantastic job of revamping the menu and creating a more professional wait staff while keeping the rustic charm. Bravo. Will be coming back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saddle River InnSaddleRiverInnDined on 8/29/2014Second time at the restaurant and it was just as good as the first. Excellent service and delicious food. Nice BYOB and we have very romantic dinner celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful timeSherrickDined on 8/28/2014Our third visit since the new ownership team took over and their imprint and vision are everywhere. Particularly in the apparent reduction in formality and increase in user friendliness. We will return.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/23/2014First time we had been to SRI since the new ownership took over and we they have not missed a beat. Tremendous service, wonderful ambience and the food was spectacular. The blacks sea bass was probably the best piece of fish I have ever eaten. My wife's black truffle and mushroom risotto was perfectly prepared. We can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- RemarkableJillCVIPDined on 8/20/2014We absolutely love this restaurant! The food is consistently outstanding and the menu choices are outstanding.Special Features:
- tasting menuDinnerDined on 8/20/2014I have been a customer of this restaurant for over 25 years and it has always been a favorite. However, this is only the 2nd time I have been there since it was sold 2 years ago. As a special treat, we decided to try the 4 course tasting menu, which we were told had to be ordered by the entire table. When asked what was on the tasting menu, the server was a little vague and said it was the chef's choice. At $75/person, we were curious what was to be served and did have a few special requests (beef? fish? gluten? chocolate? nuts?) They agreed to accommodate our entrée requests but the rest was potluck! Overall, everything was delicious with lots of small plates and small servings. We were not rushed in any way and enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep coming backBensReviewsVIPDined on 8/16/2014The team at the Saddle River Inn have really nailed it. They have excellent delicious seasonal dishes that are amazing. We hope to return in a few months.Special Features:
- Chris YegenchrisiVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food at the old inn was good; now it's great. Every dish is a treat. The chef has created a large enough menu to have something for everyone but not so large that he loses control on any dish. It's now among the best in n.j.Special Features:
- spongebobDined on 8/15/2014it was our first time there and it was fabulous - the food, service, ambience truly loved it!Special Features:
- Great romatic BYORidgewoodDadDined on 8/14/2014The lobster corn risotto was fantastic and my wife really liked her halibut with fennel and fava beans. Went a few years ago and it was as good as I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food outstanding, service very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The food was outstanding!!! We have been to all the top restaurants in jersey and this may have been the best food thus far. The atmosphere was charming, however, the service was extremely slow. When our waiter finally got to the table he was polite, well presented and knowledgeable of all menu and special items. Unfortunately, it took forever in between service stops. Once our order was taken the food came out timely so I know it wasn't the kitchen. Our table of 4 was well engaged so the time spent was enjoyable but 3 hours for dinner is a bit much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, cold foodClsoe2homeDined on 8/14/2014Thursday evening 7:15, dinner entre did not arrive til 8:50 and was cold. Waiter overworked. 30 minutes to receive sorbet for dessert. Not up to $$$$ competition.Special Features:
- Keeps getting betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014The "new" Saddle River Inn is one of the best in North Jersey. Innovative dishes with special attention to world class presentation. Excellent service. If, like me, you felt the old restaurant was overrated, then by all means go back NOW! You will be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Food was outrageous service great totally enjoyable meal. Have been there before and will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!KathyDined on 8/7/2014We've avoided the Saddle River Inn for years because it used to be so pretentious and snooty. And frankly, the food didn 't warrant the attitude. The new owners have created such an innovative menu and the service is so professional, yet friendly. We love it and will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food . . . but Expensive!!2ofUsDined on 8/7/2014The food and service are simply outstanding!! The cost astronomical!!Special Features:
- Always Wonderful!pittypieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Saddle River Inn never disappoints. Outside of their running out of the special I wanted to order an amazing evening. And my substitute entrée was delicious. Already looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightArtYDined on 8/2/2014We have dined here several times this year. As in years past, the food is original and delicious . The service is efficient and courteous. The atmosphere is comfortable . We just keep coming back. OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysAlisonwDined on 8/1/2014This is our fourth or fifth time at Saddle River Inn and we have never been disappointed! The food is delicious, the service is wonderful, and it made our anniversary that much more special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014they informed us when we arrived that they need our table in 1hr 45 min so we have less then 2 hrs for dinner; I thought it is absolutely not acceptable for a pricy restaurant and it is ruined our mood; we were 20 min late because of the storm and we called them to let them know, but they booked our table for 8 and we had reservation at 6;
- getting very expensiveGERRYDined on 7/31/2014the food here, under the former and current owners has always been top shelf. BUT, the prices are getting really expensive. time to ry somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great restaurantMalibuahVIPDined on 7/30/2014The new owners have livened up the place to be a little bit more casual than before. The food is very good but needs some refinement to take it to the old levelSpecial Features:
- Was good before, but better now!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I am never disappointed when I dine at the Saddle River Inn. The food, service and ambience are always exceptional. It was always a nice restaurant, but now under the new ownership it is superior! Better food, atmosphere and energy.Special Features:
- JUST WONDERFULLilola21Dined on 7/25/2014Another Great Dinner in this Wonderful Restaurant, the mushrooms with Truffles were delicious so was the aged Ribeye, thank you David for always taking care of us, sincerely, P.AndresSpecial Features:
- Nice spotGrazDined on 7/24/2014This restaurant provided a nice dining experience. I was used to the old Saddle River Inn which I thought was a bit more cozy. I think they should add some fresh flowers or something that would make the place look less stark. Service was very good. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Culinary HeavenIme45Dined on 7/24/2014This is hands down the finest restaurant in New Jersey. Dinner last Thursday was simply outstanding. Menu selections are mouthwatering, add to that the nightly specials, and we had a difficult time deciding...we wanted it all. Our final choices: fried zucchini blossoms filled lemon scented ricotta, crispy Asian beef wonton, cocoa dusted scallops over cauliflower puree and oven roasted cauliflower florets, tempura battered soft shell crabs with baby arugula. We ended with the sweet offering of Heather, the new pastry chef, flourless chocolate cake, coconut cream creme brûlée, kettle corn and pink peppercorn ice creams. This was culinary Heaven, Jamie and David have brought the New York experience to NJ.Special Features: