The Saddle River Inn
2 Barnstable Court
Saddle River, NJ 07458Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Saddle River Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saddleriverinn.com/
- Phone: 2018254016
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jamie Knott
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Loft - capacity 20
- Private Party Contact: David Madison 2018254016
A word from The Saddle River Inn
Classic French cuisine with a contemporary flair is featured in a romantic, rustic, barn along the banks of the Saddle River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The Saddle River Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (110)romantic (101)fit for foodies (100)neighborhood gem (60)scenic view (35)good for groups (18)hot spot (8)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014one of the best meal in years! excellent service! thank you Anthony! white truffle risotto was incredible and rib eye steak the best I ever had!Special Features:
- Rustic EleganceAndreaDined on 10/22/2014This was our first visit to the Saddle River Inn and it was a special experience. The SRI has charm from the outside on into the inside with the cozy feeling of the handsome beams, it has a true rustic elegance feel to it. The service was professional and attentive, highly gourmet menu varied with many specials, and everything was delicious with good-sized servings. It's pricey but not pretentious and BYOB. The owner, David Madison, greeted us upon entering, took our coats himself, and was genuinely caring about our dinner experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great experience all around.1ProfessionalFoodieDined on 10/21/2014It's a special place! The staff are professional and food is delicious. The veal chop Milanese was probably the best one I have ever had! BYO is always great...you can bring the wines you enjoy most and not pay 200% up charge. Look forward to going back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!!dinersDined on 10/18/2014Great atmosphere, very cozy and comfortable! Service was outstanding. We were greeted at the entrance and from beginning to end the experience was extremely enjoyable. Would love to go back!Special Features:
- First time, can't wait to go backGetThereDined on 10/18/2014We live in NJ, love eating out in NYC and have come to accept that the food in NJ is incredibly average at best. Boggles our minds that the culinary experiences being so close to NYC can be so vastly different. Until now that is. Booked a table for our anniversary. Were greeted right away as we walked through the door with a feeling of "welcome back old friend, where have you been all this time." Was an awesome night, food was ridiculous, service was spot-on, atmosphere wonderful. Don't take my word for it, grab some wine, head over, and let the staff at the Saddle River Inn do the rest. Unfortunately after having the cavatelli with pumpkin and sausage, my future pasta experiences will be disappointing. Wish I could have bathed in it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014everything was wonderful. food was perfect. My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and were deep in conversation. i was surprised that the maitre de came to our table and asked us to leave as we had been there too long. the surprising thing is that I did not see any customers waiting. a disappointing finish to an otherwise outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Absolutely delicious ... Expensive but worth every biteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014This is a very classy restaurant for Bergen County. It's a longtime staple. I thought the food was great, but my husband thought the portions were too small. Thet were the perfect size for me, however!Special Features:
- Fine RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014First time dining here. Unfortu nately, didn't realize BYOB. Maître d' kind enough to hold our table till we went to liquor store. Appetizers, dinner and desert all to die for!!What an amazing chef! Ambiance was very upscale and romantic although noise level could be better. Our waiter Anthony was exceptional! Our wine server, not so wonderful. Wine glasses remained empty for long clips at a time. Not able to self serve either as they kept both selections of our wine chilling in the back instead of at our table? At end of meal, no offer to return remaining wine to us either?? Overall, fine experience. Will return but will ask for wine to remain at our table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to get the act togetherBernadetteDined on 10/16/2014Half way through dinner we were making jokes about what the waiters were going to do wrong next. On the way out, we suggested to David Madison that service needed to be tightened. Our waiters were arguing about the patrons who had just left who complained about poor service, my water glass had lipstick on it, our wine was poured unequally, we asked for more bread and never got any, and we needed to ask twice to get knives and a new candle on our table - none of which is a major problem in itself, but when compounded means that the staff is not being trained properly. I also didn't appreciate Mr. Madison getting defensive and dismissive about our suggestion. Those who get defensive know that they are being presented with the truth.
- Special Anniversary DinnerLisaDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I recently spent our 20th wedding anniversary at the Saddle River Inn. We had a great view of the pond from the loft/second floor area of the restaurant. The staff was professional and friendly; and the food was wonderful. Great selection of seasonal entrees and appetizers. We shared the peanut butter mousse dessert which was a wonderfully light.Special Features:
- Sophisticated diningPDCLarryVIPDined on 10/16/2014The Saddle River Inn has been our favorite upscale restaurant for over 30 years. Every meal has been memorable (even the time our umbrella was stolen from the umbrella stand), for gracious dining, outstanding food, and attentive service. It's a BYO, but the staff take your wine as you enter, then serve it as if it were from their cellar; a very nice touch. The chef has delivered both traditional and creative dishes that just about always work. This is one of the top restaurants in New Jersey, and can hold its own against the finest Manhattan restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country charm with city panacheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Had a 15 minute wait for our 8:45 reservation but enjoyed a glass of wine outside by the open fire - adding to the ambiance of the evening. The food was excellent for 3 of 4 of us. The Halibut was sent back (very fishy tasting)- but replaced (promptly) with delicious scallops. Service is wonderful. Place is very noisy but has a great vibe. Highly recommended...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014Every time that we have the pleasure of dining at the Saddle River Inn, I remember what fine dining is supposed to feel like. The service aand the food are just superb and it makes the dinner so memorableSpecial Features:
- Love this placeHappy1Dined on 10/11/2014I still call it "the new" SRI as the past incarnation was bad I still feel obligated to make the distinction. That being said, it is not that new anymore, otherwise I wouldn't be writing a review as I wouldn't want to have that much trouble getting a reservation after my glowing report. Yes I think it is that good. Great food, charming atmosphere, attentive service, we will keep coming back.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Warm welcome upon arrival ! Excellent food, nice ambiance, good service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding and then someRichVIPDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I have been here several times with friends since the new owners took over. They have made an excellent restaurant even better! The food, the service and the decor are all splendid.Special Features:
- Best in Bergen CountyDkstar1Dined on 10/3/2014Presently, Saddle River Inn is without question, the best restaurant in Bergen County. By cleaning up the dining room since the Hans Egg-era (goodbye covered windows, goodbye cheesy fake grapes/vines and hello clean spacing of tables) it allows the beautiful Barn/Inn and its surrounds speak for itself. The food is excellent. Well thought out, executed and presented. Service is equally outstanding. Wine service was great as well and truly appreciated. The only thing I'd suggest is that the owner/maitre d' should work the room more though since this is a true community fixture and former regulars expect it and new guests (or newly returning guests) would become regulars if he did. That isn't to say he isn't great - because he is. A+Special Features:
- Great Ambiance DiningMikeyinBCDined on 10/1/2014The Saddle River Inn is a gem in Bergen County. It's the place to go for a special occasion. Great feel when you are in the old bar dimly lit for a romantic time with that special someone. The service was off the hook this trip. Jason was phenomenal and provided everything we needed without even being asked. His personality was energetic and entertaining. Another great feature is the BYOB. Greeted at the front door your wine is taken from you brought to your table later opened and ready to enjoy. Book your reservations early to get a nice time slot! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Change!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014What a difference from the old owners. Not snooty anymore! Very welcoming! Easy to make a reservation! Great service and fabulous food!!!! We loved it!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014New owners have spruced up venue, menu more interesting but very pricey for NJ ($49 lamb chops!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an Interesting MenueDiane14Dined on 9/27/2014Love the Chef's interesting menue ~ the service just right ~ the atmosphere is so beautiful ~ candels in the dim lit rooms ~ just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As A Restaurant GetsAllthatjazznjDined on 9/26/2014How does one even begin to comment on this absolutely spectacular dining experience? My recent visit was my second, and from first bite to last, I can only say that there are no other restaurants like it anywhere, period. My appetizer colossal crab salad was just that: large chunks of super fresh crab meat over Napa cabbage. My entree was lobster risoto. I looked around at neighboring diners and noticed that each was eating quite deliberately and slowly...savoring every bite. Because with each taste I was silently giving yummy messages to myself. The cinnamon bread pudding for dessert was just elegant. And it went so well with the cappuchino. Even the iced tea was special. This was an epicurean delight, a five-star cordon bleu experience.Special Features:
- Not the old Saddle River InnBillAVIPDined on 9/25/2014Definitely several steps down fr what it used to be. Service was good , but not outstanding as in the past. Menu is standard fare but good. Just not special anymore. Just another good restaraunt. No more dress code, lost all it's class!
- Rustic Charm & Sophisticated Menu!MaudeDined on 9/24/2014The Saddle River Inn has a charming, relaxed atmosphere that suits friends meeting for dinner or a couple celebrating their anniversary. The menu is amazing. It would have been even harder to make a decision if we didn't know we're coming back in two weeks. To start, we chose mushroom soup with pickled mushrooms and a lobster lettuce wrap - both were outstanding. Our second course was lobster and corn risotto and scallops. The risotto was perfect, the corn was sweet and crisp and there was a generous amount of delicious lobster. The bay scallops were sweet and perfectly prepared. We added a side of fantastic shoestring fries with black truffles and topped it off with cappuccinos and homemade apricot sorbet and pistachio ice cream.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Excellent, creative menu - changed dramatically from previous owner...appetizer and entree - excellent...service - very good, but server failed to respond to a question to which an answer was promised...Special Features:
- Excellent, as always (now)!!PhilipVIPDined on 9/23/2014Ever since the new ownership The Saddle River Inn has been consistently outstanding. Great menu, great specials, terrific service and very pleasant décor/atmosphere.Special Features:
- DecorSparkyDined on 9/18/2014I would like to see it more updated I think it is much to dark I would like it to be much brighter. The wall should be lighter & bright. The food was excellent it was a great night to celebrate my Birthday. I like that this is BYO we could bring a special bottle of wine.Special Features:
- A Must!HONEYDined on 9/16/2014Had a wonderful birthday dinner. My husband and I always look forward to celebrating special occasions at this charming restaurant.Special Features:
- HarrietDined on 9/12/2014The food and atmosphere were good, however, I think that the cost of the evening was too high. I have been to this restaurant many times in the past when the previous owners were still there. I liked the atmosphere better and the food was also better. I think that now it has become too expensive.Special Features:
- Delightfully PerfectThelmaDined on 9/11/2014Celebrated a special occasion with friends. The staff was friendly, accommodating and easily managed a full dining room. The menu was great and the specials were a bit above perfect. We enjoyed the lobster roll and stuffed zucchini appetizers. Main course was selected to accompany our wine and it was delicious. Recommend the filet mignon!! desert just delicious. Only wish the staff followed on our request to decant our wine...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceNinaDined on 9/9/2014Tremendous dining experience. Amazing food, excellent service. Romantic setting. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- 5 Star RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014The next time you want to celebrate an anniversary, propose to that special someone or have a very special business dinner, this is where you want to go. The food and atmosphere are spectacular! A classic, relaxing restaurant on the Saddle River with food that competes with 5 star restaurants in NYC! Waiters make you feel very special and give just the right amount of attention. And, don't forget to bring along that special champagne and/or wine! (BYOB) Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much improvedDionisVIPDined on 9/6/2014The frist time we went after the change in management we were very disappointed. We gave tehm a second chance. Not yet up to teh level of prior management but getting there.Special Features:
- The best!!GoldDDSDined on 9/6/2014I think this place is one of the greatest restaurants ever!! I simply love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014Went to the Saddle River Inn to celebrate the birthday day of my fiancé. Everything was perfect, the service, the view over the pond, and the food was great. Will be going back even though we are about to move into the city.Special Features:
- ExcellentJo74Dined on 9/6/2014Fantastic service and a unique interior at this old rustic and yet romantic barn. Saddle river inn offers an extensive and interesting menu. The lamb chops are so delicious you will find yourself nibbling on the bones because it's too good to waste. My lobster roll appetizer was light and refreshing and the Mint basil semifreddo, was a different and yet oh so tasty dessert. We gladly returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!bobbarbaraDined on 9/6/2014The Saddle River Inn is a special place and the service, food and atmosphere speak to that. Price is in line with the quality and portions are reasonable, so possible to enjoy a complete food experience. Warm greeting from David, great friendly service from Bryan and a perfect evening for our 40th anniversary. We go to the Saddle river Inn a few times a year and it is Always Great!Special Features:
- Delicious but pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Food and service were excellent but portion size very small and extremely over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, great night!fejaloDined on 8/30/2014Had a wonderful meal. Definitely a special night. Had a bit of a sticker shock as we didn't see the price of the steak special until the check arrived, but the food was transcendent so worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.