The Saddle River Inn
2 Barnstable Court
Saddle River, NJ 07458Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Saddle River Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saddleriverinn.com/
- Phone: 2018254016
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jamie Knott
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Loft - capacity 20
- Private Party Contact: David Madison 2018254016
A word from The Saddle River Inn
Classic French cuisine with a contemporary flair is featured in a romantic, rustic, barn along the banks of the Saddle River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Saddle River Inn - Best Restaurants in Allendale ›
The Saddle River Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (105)romantic (95)fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (52)scenic view (32)good for groups (12)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fantastic Food, great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Had a wonderful meal. Definitely a special night. Had a bit of a sticker shock as we didn't see the price of the steak special until the check arrived, but the food was transcendent so worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate food and serviceBigKahunaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Always a staple for fine dining but new ownership has done a fantastic job of revamping the menu and creating a more professional wait staff while keeping the rustic charm. Bravo. Will be coming back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saddle River InnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Second time at the restaurant and it was just as good as the first. Excellent service and delicious food. Nice BYOB and we have very romantic dinner celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful timeSherrickDined on 8/28/2014Our third visit since the new ownership team took over and their imprint and vision are everywhere. Particularly in the apparent reduction in formality and increase in user friendliness. We will return.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/23/2014First time we had been to SRI since the new ownership took over and we they have not missed a beat. Tremendous service, wonderful ambience and the food was spectacular. The blacks sea bass was probably the best piece of fish I have ever eaten. My wife's black truffle and mushroom risotto was perfectly prepared. We can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- RemarkableJillCVIPDined on 8/20/2014We absolutely love this restaurant! The food is consistently outstanding and the menu choices are outstanding.Special Features:
- tasting menuDinnerDined on 8/20/2014I have been a customer of this restaurant for over 25 years and it has always been a favorite. However, this is only the 2nd time I have been there since it was sold 2 years ago. As a special treat, we decided to try the 4 course tasting menu, which we were told had to be ordered by the entire table. When asked what was on the tasting menu, the server was a little vague and said it was the chef's choice. At $75/person, we were curious what was to be served and did have a few special requests (beef? fish? gluten? chocolate? nuts?) They agreed to accommodate our entrée requests but the rest was potluck! Overall, everything was delicious with lots of small plates and small servings. We were not rushed in any way and enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep coming backBensReviewsVIPDined on 8/16/2014The team at the Saddle River Inn have really nailed it. They have excellent delicious seasonal dishes that are amazing. We hope to return in a few months.Special Features:
- Chris YegenchrisiVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food at the old inn was good; now it's great. Every dish is a treat. The chef has created a large enough menu to have something for everyone but not so large that he loses control on any dish. It's now among the best in n.j.Special Features:
- spongebobDined on 8/15/2014it was our first time there and it was fabulous - the food, service, ambience truly loved it!Special Features:
- Great romatic BYORidgewoodDadDined on 8/14/2014The lobster corn risotto was fantastic and my wife really liked her halibut with fennel and fava beans. Went a few years ago and it was as good as I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food outstanding, service very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The food was outstanding!!! We have been to all the top restaurants in jersey and this may have been the best food thus far. The atmosphere was charming, however, the service was extremely slow. When our waiter finally got to the table he was polite, well presented and knowledgeable of all menu and special items. Unfortunately, it took forever in between service stops. Once our order was taken the food came out timely so I know it wasn't the kitchen. Our table of 4 was well engaged so the time spent was enjoyable but 3 hours for dinner is a bit much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, cold foodClsoe2homeDined on 8/14/2014Thursday evening 7:15, dinner entre did not arrive til 8:50 and was cold. Waiter overworked. 30 minutes to receive sorbet for dessert. Not up to $$$$ competition.Special Features:
- Keeps getting betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014The "new" Saddle River Inn is one of the best in North Jersey. Innovative dishes with special attention to world class presentation. Excellent service. If, like me, you felt the old restaurant was overrated, then by all means go back NOW! You will be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Food was outrageous service great totally enjoyable meal. Have been there before and will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!KathyDined on 8/7/2014We've avoided the Saddle River Inn for years because it used to be so pretentious and snooty. And frankly, the food didn 't warrant the attitude. The new owners have created such an innovative menu and the service is so professional, yet friendly. We love it and will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food . . . but Expensive!!2ofUsDined on 8/7/2014The food and service are simply outstanding!! The cost astronomical!!Special Features:
- Always Wonderful!pittypieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Saddle River Inn never disappoints. Outside of their running out of the special I wanted to order an amazing evening. And my substitute entrée was delicious. Already looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightArtYDined on 8/2/2014We have dined here several times this year. As in years past, the food is original and delicious . The service is efficient and courteous. The atmosphere is comfortable . We just keep coming back. OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysAlisonwDined on 8/1/2014This is our fourth or fifth time at Saddle River Inn and we have never been disappointed! The food is delicious, the service is wonderful, and it made our anniversary that much more special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014they informed us when we arrived that they need our table in 1hr 45 min so we have less then 2 hrs for dinner; I thought it is absolutely not acceptable for a pricy restaurant and it is ruined our mood; we were 20 min late because of the storm and we called them to let them know, but they booked our table for 8 and we had reservation at 6;
- getting very expensiveGERRYDined on 7/31/2014the food here, under the former and current owners has always been top shelf. BUT, the prices are getting really expensive. time to ry somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great restaurantMalibuahVIPDined on 7/30/2014The new owners have livened up the place to be a little bit more casual than before. The food is very good but needs some refinement to take it to the old levelSpecial Features:
- Was good before, but better now!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I am never disappointed when I dine at the Saddle River Inn. The food, service and ambience are always exceptional. It was always a nice restaurant, but now under the new ownership it is superior! Better food, atmosphere and energy.Special Features:
- JUST WONDERFULLilola21Dined on 7/25/2014Another Great Dinner in this Wonderful Restaurant, the mushrooms with Truffles were delicious so was the aged Ribeye, thank you David for always taking care of us, sincerely, P.AndresSpecial Features:
- Nice spotGrazDined on 7/24/2014This restaurant provided a nice dining experience. I was used to the old Saddle River Inn which I thought was a bit more cozy. I think they should add some fresh flowers or something that would make the place look less stark. Service was very good. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Culinary HeavenIme45Dined on 7/24/2014This is hands down the finest restaurant in New Jersey. Dinner last Thursday was simply outstanding. Menu selections are mouthwatering, add to that the nightly specials, and we had a difficult time deciding...we wanted it all. Our final choices: fried zucchini blossoms filled lemon scented ricotta, crispy Asian beef wonton, cocoa dusted scallops over cauliflower puree and oven roasted cauliflower florets, tempura battered soft shell crabs with baby arugula. We ended with the sweet offering of Heather, the new pastry chef, flourless chocolate cake, coconut cream creme brûlée, kettle corn and pink peppercorn ice creams. This was culinary Heaven, Jamie and David have brought the New York experience to NJ.Special Features:
- ByobMomo2Dined on 7/22/2014Amazing food - NYC quality. But the best part is that it is byob so your bill doesn't skyrocket. Restaurant still has cozy feel but is less stuffy than in past. A great place to go if you want a great meal but don't feel like traveling into the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of the best restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014We have visited this restaurant many times and each visit is better than the last...the owners David and the Chef are on top of their game and provide a setting and food dishes that make this restaurant the very best. A must visit for an special day. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Delicious & RomanticbridgetnoelDined on 7/19/2014My husband & I celebrated our anniversary at the Saddle River Inn & we were so happy with our choice. It was our first time there & we immediately loved the ambience & decor. The food was delicious & the setting was so romantic, we sat right by the window overlooking the river. For appetizers we shared the shrimp satay & yellowtail, both were good, I preferred the yellowtail. For our entrees, I had the diver scallop special and it was "melt in your mouth" divine. My husband had the steak special & devoured every bite. We would definitely go back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSchanetteDined on 7/19/2014I have never had a bad experience at The Saddle River Inn. Their food, service and ambience is outstanding. I would recommend it especially for special occasions because it is a romantic restaurant and there are not enough of them around.Special Features:
- livetodineDined on 7/18/2014Food and service was excellent. We had steak and pork chops and everyone loved their dish. We had a wonderful time. We sat upstairs and had a nice view of the restaurant and the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent But Expensive DiningaemachVIPDined on 7/12/2014Visited the Saddle River in for the first time under new ownership. Got a little nervous as they never called to confirm, nor did Open Table send the auto-generated reminder. But all was in order. While the food was exquisitely prepared, the portions were extremely small. I have dined in New York's finest Michelin rated establishments, so I don't mind spending $$$$ on a great meal. The 4 ounce rib eye was $57! While it was expertly seasoned and seared, it was like an app with about two tablespoons of truffled mashed potatoes and one stalk of broccolini. This is a BYOB and I am wondering if the new ownership is making up the loss of alcohol sales by overcharging for the entrees. The desserts were amazing though. Kudos to the pastry chef.Special Features:
- Mediocore service and selectionJDfromNCDined on 7/10/2014Had dinner at SRI on july 10 2014. WE do not live in NJ anymore so this was first dinner there since restaurant changed ownership. WE were quite disappointed. From the stiff greeting at the door, to the wine service to the food service, nothing worked well. The food quality was still quite good but we felt the menu was very ordinary for restaurant that was the best in northern New Jersey. Forget the service - started out asking if we wanted white wine and we only brought red - when pouring he spilled wine on table cloth never cleaned it. Waiter described special incorrectly and my wife ended up with appetizer as entrée. Obviously and unfortunately, we were very disappointed with the whole experience.
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner with friends at the Saddle River Inn. This long time establishment has retained its luster. The food was well prepared and the service was excellent. Nice, too , that it is BYOB. Truly a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best in Bergen CountyDennisVIPDined on 7/5/2014First time back after change in owners. It is NYC 5star quality at 1/2 the price.Special Features:
- JUST KEEP ON GETTING BETTERLilola21Dined on 7/5/2014Another great Dinner in this wonderful Gem, loved the Rib Eye & the U10 Shrimps, it just keeps on getting better, PepiSpecial Features:
- I like it better than the originalkrmmahrVIPDined on 7/5/2014I was hesitant to try this restaurant with the new owners - the original was so wonderful and special. But we received a gift certificate as a gift and went this past weekend. The food was outstanding - and I think better than before. The choices are more modern and innovative and delicious. The service is excellent as always. It's a very special place.Special Features:
- WowgladwewentDined on 7/5/2014One of the best meals we have had in years. We had not been back to the Saddle River Inn since they changed hands and were totally blown away by the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Look at Saddle River InnWCLdinerDined on 6/28/2014We had not been here for several years as we always found it too stuffy. Well, the new owners have improved the atmosphere considerably. The restaurant no longer has a dress code and it is much more modern and relaxed. And the menu is entirely new. The food was great and the service was good as well. Being able to bring your own wine is another added benefit. We will definitely go back.Special Features: