The Rusty Rudder
3563 N. Hwy 17
Mount Pleasant, SC 29466Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
The Rusty Rudder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mtpleasant.therustyrudder.net/
- Phone: 8433883177x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm-5:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Low Country, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Joshua Martin Arnold
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Entertainment Daily from 5-8PM. Please check out our Website or Facebook page for the artist line-ups.
A word from The Rusty Rudder
Located in beautiful Mt. Pleasant, the Rusty Rudder attracts locals and tourists alike. Come on down and try the great cuisine and great service at the Rusty Rudder. Live entertainment from the best local and regional artists, duos and bands everyday.Continued
Come spend some laid back time with us. After all, we are on Mt. Pleasant time here at the Rusty Rudder!
Come spend some laid back time with us. After all, we are on Mt. Pleasant time here at the Rusty Rudder!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Rusty Rudder - Best Restaurants in Mount Pleasant ›
The Rusty Rudder reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (37)neighborhood gem (22)kid-friendly (21)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (11)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Neighborhood FindDateniteDined on 8/16/2014Food fantastic, reasonably priced, and outdoor musical entertainment was great!!! Noise level for indoor dining loud. In general, air conditioning was inadequate, especially if you are seated by the door to the outdoor patio. Patio great for dining or drinks, appetizers, and enjoying live entertainment. Definitely a keeper on our date night list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good mealgooziemomVIPDined on 8/16/20142nd visit and will go back. Good seafood and now open for lunch.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Find!CharlestonDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I took our 2 young boys to sit outside Friday night for dinner. Fantastic atmosphere. Children can play corn hole while parents enjoy the live music and bar area. Great for families, groups or date night. Fish tacos were very good.Special Features:
- Foodie10Dined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed this restaurant,until this last experience.The pork barbeque was dry.The seafood platters were fried.The batter was thick and not cooked through.Special Features:
- eatingfineVIPDined on 8/9/2014Noise level way too loud. Food too salty. Server got orders confused. Four dropped trays in three hours. There were nine of us dining; none of us enjoyed it. Won't go back.
- Great experience.SnaganagaDined on 8/9/2014We heard from several friends that service was so bad. We didn't experience that at all. Had 7 people and food was great, so was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Great service and great food. There is something for everyone. I had the grilled mahi which was fantastic. The seafood baskets and burgers were great. Very reasonsbly priced for very good food. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014Wonderful local eatery. Great, knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- AwesomeGreatFoodDined on 8/2/2014This was our 3rd trip back to the Rudder and everything was perfect. Mahi Taco's are the best in town.Special Features:
- Nice Outdoor Dining Area But...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014So the menu is just very typical southern. I ordered the peel and eat shrimp, which came hot and in a sauce so pretty un-peelable. I struggled through butchering my shrimp with a fork and knife. I also ordered a cocktail made with raspberry vodka, triple sec & cranberry juice that was fabulous, so the bartender has her/his act together. The server was super friendly and attentive. We sat out on the lovely patio and I could have stayed and drank those raspberry martinis all night but both of us were eaten alive by mosquitos. They need to have the area sprayed or sprayed more frequently, it was so bad we got up and left.
- Great food & service - loudStephanieDined on 7/28/2014We had a fabulous meal and the server was very helpful and informative regarding our questions about the menu. We sat in the south west corner and our reservation was for 6pm. When the sun went down it was warm. We did bring down the window shades and that helped. As the restaurant became more crowded the noise level was very loud. There are no soft surfaces to alleviate the reverberation in the space. Need a few sound absorbing materials in the space; chair cushions, wall screens, something.... We will definitely be back due to the great food and back patio!Special Features:
- FliesGilJDined on 7/24/2014Prior to making the reservstion I called to ask if the problem still existed of swarming flies all over you and your food when eating outside. I was told the problem was fixed. It was not. Our food was covered with flies as we tried to eat dinner. Furthermore, our starters did not arrive before the entrees, three of the four entrees were either the wrong order or burnt, we asked for additional napkins three times but they never were brought and we returned our checks to the waitress be cause they were wrong. The music was good but I can listen to the same music on my IPOD without being covered by flies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed a delightful lunch on the outdoor patio. Good wait staff. Warm pleasant and quite familiar with the menu. This place is a find. Already planning a return visit.Special Features:
- Amazing mahi tacos!JenniferDined on 7/18/2014Atmosphere and food were fantastic! Tuna tartar for an app. Great outdoor bar, dining area, and games for the kids. Live music outside every night. We were pleasantly surprised, and will be back with the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014We love the close location to where we live. Tried it for dinner with my husband.Then went back the next day with a friend for lunch. Both meals were delightfulSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Our server was fantastic, even though he has only been there a short time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Dinner was good had fish taco's and Shrimp and grits. I would advise to pass on oyster Rock very dry.Special Features:
- Gotta get on top of service!eatandrunDined on 7/12/2014Good food, great location, nice eclectic menu, friendly bar staff. BUT the wait-staff has got to get it together for it to last...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potential to be betterjoanDined on 7/11/2014We had heard the food wasn't great but wanted to try RR for ourselves. I had two app's (a fried green tomato/crab stack & tuna tartare) as dinner, & both were very good. My husband had mahi tacos & rated them a C. I've had other friends say they were very disappointed by the seafood baskets & tacos, specifically. (*They say that the fried shrimp tastes cheap, like Long John Silver's, not local, and the fish doesn't seem fresh.) We were glad to be able to dine outside because indoors was way too loud & wouldn't have been a nice dining experience, having to yell across the table to be heard. I'm not writing this review to be mean, because us locals want this place to work, but the food needs much improvement! We will give it one more shot...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outside eatingGilJDined on 7/9/2014Food is fine but they need to do something about the flies when eating outside. Very annoying.Special Features:
- It was OK.LocalDined on 7/6/2014Food was good, but not spectacular. Our waitress was good, but bar service was slow.Special Features:
- Good but small portion sizeslinds83Dined on 7/6/2014Very good food but the you pick 3 seafood was very small in portion size esp for $20Special Features:
- Disappointing but Great PotentialcrvrmvDined on 7/5/2014Restaurant was crowded and loud but it was an energetic and lively, so I wasn't bothered by the noise level. The tables were very close together making it feel like we were sitting with the couple at table next to us. We ordered Nachos, but they were out of Nachos (huh? - out of Nachos at 7:00 on a Saturday). We ordered Sauteed Clams as a substitute - a little salty and not very hot. Toast points - two small slices of bread didn't meet the mark. My wife ordered she crab soup - tasty but barely lukewarm - and the Fried Green Tomato & Crab Cake - good, not great - for dinner. I had the Lobster Roll - not good at all - very little lobster and so wet that roll was soggy. Service was slow but server was very good and attentive.Special Features:
- Don't waste your time or moneyDisappointedDined on 7/5/2014Very noisy; limited menu, meal disappointing. Made our reservation on Open Table - they could not find it, off to a great start. Saved by our email confirmation. Was a very disappointing evening.
- Feeling pains of newly openedSusanDined on 7/5/2014Way to loud inside, no sound barriers. Nice on Patio. Food was average, took way too long.Special Features:
- Rusty Rudder needs oilingFoodluverDined on 7/5/2014We sat down & it took a long time to get our drink & appetizer order in.Our drinks were delivered but we waited a very long time for our appetizers. Whenwe inquired about them our server said the kitchen was backed up.We know she forgot to put the order in.The appetizers were not very good.The tuna tartare was palatable however the oysters Rockefeller were horrible &burnt. Our dinner arrived and we were all shocked at the small amount of food for the price.The oyster dinner only had 4 oysters! We are frequent downtown diners &used to paying a bit more to have a delicious meal. We were sadly mistaken here. We all left hungry and dissatisfied.The server was nice but not experienced.To make it in this town you are going to have to do better.
- Rusty RudderPatricksviewDined on 7/4/2014Very enjoyable. Friendly atmosphere. This site was the former 17 North. Maintains the outside venue with bar and entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingbobbiDined on 6/28/2014Noise level inside was uncomfortable. Server was slow and forgetful. Food was mediocre. Voodoo Shrimp were small and seemed frozen not fresh, without much flavor. Chopped salad was mediocre and the blue cheese dressing was tasteless. The 6 other diners at our table all said the food was "so so". The outdoor area looks fantastic, too bad the food is not.Special Features:
- Needs Work...BADluvcharlestonDined on 6/28/2014Our group was very excited about trying the new restaurant in our area, as we really need one. Unfortunately, it was bad from the start. I had made reservations for 8 outside. We were taken to our table and it was two tables of 4 not put together. This was a group with several new to the area and no one knew each other and it made it very awkward to not have everyone together. After getting settled, then the nightmare began. Our waiter could not do anything. Not even open a bottle of wine. There was a fly in a wine glass and did not even offer to get a new one. They messed up two orders of food and one in our party was told they had burned his steak so his food did not arrive until every one at the table had eaten. Never again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We ordered the Shrimp and Grits and the crabcake sandwich (sandwiched with 2 slices of fried green tomatoes). Both are classic entrees for southern cuisine. We were thrilled with the taste and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor Service, too LoudFoodSnobVIPDined on 6/27/2014Although I am giving this place a rating of 3, it is mainly because of the sloppy, poor service that we received. Attention to detail, picking up things on the table and floor, helping each other out, refilling drinks, asking how the food ws all is an experienced staff trait. The food selection and quality was geat! Bar was so-so. The noise level was not energetic, IT IS TOO LOUD!Special Features:
- Low Country RudderDunesWestLocal1Dined on 6/27/2014My first time at this eatery. Ceviche app was over priced, but delicious, and local craft beer pints are over priced too. Extremely noisy. Needs sound dampening efforts on the inside. Will go back to explore the rest of the food and beverage menu and the outdoor part. Love the use of the on site smoker!!!!! Also love the continuation of growing their own herbs and other garden items on site.Special Features:
- Good food and service but...BigGreekDined on 6/23/2014The noise level inside the restaurant was so loud that you could not carry on a conversation with the person across from you! I enjoyed the good and the service was excellent and I would highly suggest giving this a try but do yourself a favor and request outside seating. You will enjoy the evening much more !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the The Rusty Rudder reviews archive.