The Russian House
307 East 5th Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
The Russian House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://russianhouseofaustin.com/
- Phone: 512 4285442x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 2:00am
Dinner: Friday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: Vladimir Gribkov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Russian House of Austin event catering delivers the Russian cuisine wherever you and your guests gather. Our signature dishes and infused vodka arrives at your location with an on-site Private Event Manager and a dedicated team of executive chefs, certified bartenders and Russian House of Austin trained servers. From choosing your menu to overseeing the smallest details, Russian House of Austin event catering staff looks forward to helping create your perfect occasion.
For more information please call (347) 840-0093 or email us at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Unforgettable.
Experience the sensation of private dining at Russian House of Austin where we treat you and your special guests to unforgettable dining for your next business gathering, family celebration, dinner club or anything in between.
Please contact our Private Dining manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for details and availability for your special events.
- Private Party Contact: Varda Salkey 5124285442x
- Entertainment: Live music 3 times a week. For details, please call 512.428.5442 or view Upcoming Events on our website. Free Russian classes every Wednesday at 630pm, free Tango nights every Tuesday at 8pm.
A word from The Russian House
Welcome to The Russian House NaZdorovye! We are the only Russian restaurant in Austin, authentic in its cuisine and decor. We offer lunch Friday, Brunch on Saturdays, and an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet every Sunday 11 AM to 4 PM. We entertain our guests with live music 3 times a week, free Tango nights every Tuesday starting at 8pm, and a free Russian class every Wednesday at 6:30pm. If you're not familiar with Russian food, we will provide you with a picture menu. We have a variety of gluten-free and vegan options. The restaurant features a full serving bar with one-of-a-kind selection of organic house-infused vodkas (almost 100), private dining rooms, and a beautiful patio. For questions and dinner reservations please call 512.428.5442Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Russian House - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Russian House reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)good for groups (17)special occasion (16)vibrant bar scene (13)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Not what you expectsusanDined on 9/18/2014when we walked into the restaurant it was like stepping back in time to a dark back alley speak easy in Russia. Just glad we didn't judge the book by the cover. After a round at the bar, we were lead into the main dining room which was bright and clean. The food was authentic. It was served nice and hot. The waitress was very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed The Russian HouseoenophileVIPDined on 9/16/2014There are not many Russian/East European restaurants in Austin, and The Russian House does a great job. The food was delicious, and there are some choices you just won't find elsewhere. The wine list has some interesting Georgian wines, for those willing to experiment a bit. And our server Vika was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceMeFoodTalkGoodDined on 9/13/2014Had never tried Russian cuisine before now. It was so good I'm now a Communist. Highly recommend the Pelmeni (veal). This was an incredible experience, comrades. If it's your first time, make sure to tell the wait staff-- very knowledgeable and will walk you through the menu.Special Features:
- Otlichno!okhotnikDined on 9/11/2014This was our first visit to Russian House but it won't be our last. The beef stroganoff and the lamb in special sauce were both great and the Ukranian borscht was equally tasty. I don't think I've ever seen quite the extensive array of Vodka offerings anywhere before. I tried the Oligarch - smooth as silk. Our waitress Natalia was helpful and attentive. (Spasibo vam bolshoya) And let me tell you about the Napoleon we ahd for dessert - a lovely treat. Yes - I'll be back!Special Features:
- Real Russian HospitalityJayegDined on 9/5/2014Where else can you sample dozens of infused vodkas, eat cabbage in various forms, and enjoy a jazz combo with jazz balalaika being strummed? The service was friendly and welcoming. Loved the salad of pickled carrots and beets. And the egg with red caviar? Yes! This isn't a place for light dining, this is food that sticks to your ribs. It was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great girlfriend date spotnotafoodienotawriterDined on 9/4/2014My girlfriend and I always celebrate our bdays together and she suggested we try Russian House this year for our bday dinner. The place feels like someone's house, which makes it very inviting. You're given a chilled vodka shot when you are seated. We ordered one speciality cocktail, Stalin's something or other and it was quite tasty. We also ordered a jasmine and honey vodka to taste which was also very good. For food we went with beef stroganoff and the stuffed cabbage. I was hesitant about the cabbage but it was delicious. I loved how everything tasted and felt like I was at someone's grandma's house being served homemade dinner. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretaustinjazzfanDined on 8/29/2014Unique and delicious appetizers and entrees and the MOST reasonable price you will find downtown. Fabulous music in the bar on weekends, and more varieties of unusual infused vodka shots than I could count. My fav: a citrus elderflower infusion....WOW! The bartenders and waitresses are very freindly and attentive. Overall, this is a great place to spend the evening - bar before, dinner, and back to the bar after diessert!Special Features:
- Great experience!AustinFoodieDined on 8/20/2014Incredibly authentic tasty food with a very Russian ambiance. I look forward to my next meal here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- possibilitiesDined on 8/16/2014Food good. Tables close together so dishes not "served" correctly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJimR616Dined on 8/15/2014The Russian House is one of my favorite places in Austin. The ambiance is straight from St. Petersburg, and the food and service are great. I will come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedTravelingtodineDined on 7/29/2014We were looking for something different and we found it. It was my husbands birthday and the succulent elk pelmeni and the decadent Napoleon made him very happy. Our friends split the hunters plate and said it was delishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- USSR Flashback... in a good wayMadisonDined on 7/26/2014what a fun & funky place-a mashup of Russian Ukrainian Czech Polish Lithuanian Uzbekistanian food & culture. literally dozens of freshly infused vodkas to choose from; very modest meals (peasant rolls) to very extravagant (champagne & Beluga caviar). Great live music after 8:30-private rooms for large parties and a large dining room for quaint cozy intimate seating. the food was quite good but the atmosphere was the best. there are "loaner" coats & hats for each customer to feel like they are back in old USSR... in a good, nostalgic way. service so good & everyone so nice & accommodating. staff very eager to explain each dish and very patiently answer all questions. parking an issue but Eddie Vs @ the corner allows valet until 12aSpecial Features:
- Very nice russian night!AcantalDined on 7/25/2014We happened to book the Russian House for dinner during a party night (Black & White Hollywood night), expecting it would be quite noisy, but didn't find it that bad (on the noise aspect), quite the opposite, nice piano music and attentive service. The food was overall very good (we had 4 different dishes and the blinis to start, excellent, must try!), the only little problem being that the waitress waited too long to let us know they were out of one of the orders...too late to choose another one (as the other orders were almost ready), so we we're "pushed" towards the chef special, which was our least favorite dish...and it came a little cold. Despite of that, the service compensates for the mishaps and we will most likely be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great real Russian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/22/2014Great authentic food from former Soviet Union at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- I don't always eat Russian food...FantasticVIPDined on 7/19/2014But when I do, I will go to this restaurant! Really neat building, cool bar up front with a ton of infused vodkas, live music. Free shot of vodka and appetizer was nice. The owner came by and gave some good recommendations for first-time guests. We had never eaten caviar so we had the egg with red caviar. It was different, fishy, but we like trying new foods. I recommend squeezing the lime over it with a little dill (included). The Pelmeni was described to us as a type of soup but came in a bowl with a lid and only had the meat dumplings in them. We chose the veal which was a little gamy but good. The Golubtsy was fantastic. Great sauce, fresh herbs, I highly recommend it! Kiev cake was delicious. Worth a visit, real homey atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different from anything aroundFrancescaDined on 7/19/2014The food was good, great service, nice ambiance. I would suggest it if you want to try something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerJulesDined on 7/11/2014Wait staff was very helpful, dinner was delicious, vodka selection which they are known for was very fun, and the place had a great decor. I don't know if this is 'authentic' Russian food but it is very good. A bit pricey but worth it. The restaurant portion was also quiet which I loved! It connects to a fun bar but there is a door that separates them so while eating I could actually talk quietly with my dinner companion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hа здоровье!GrandmaShirlVIPDined on 6/14/2014Vodka is wonderful and the food well prepared and interesting in flavour. Service needs a little polishing, but the overall experience was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014Cool experience but food was not great. Would try again.Special Features:
- Russian House AustinfoodforfunDined on 6/14/2014Russian House was a good find for a quirky place to try and expand horizons. The bar in the front, restaraunt in the back had a very Eastern European feel. The service was good. The food we had was pretty good, the appetizer came with vodka shots always a good choice. The main courses were tasty but not necessarily an oh my thats awesome plate. The menu in my opinion had too many choices versus here are a few great Russian dishes one must try. Same for the cavair and vodka selections. Russian house has potential and overall would recommend to others. Go try it, good prices for a lot of food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Unique Cousine For AustinOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014Very good ethnic food accompanied by good service. With 100 different vodkas, we had a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 174 reviews are from the The Russian House reviews archive.
- Good TimesdinerDined on 5/24/2014If you want to try something different this is the place to go. My boyfriend & I had a blast from the huge list of infused vodkas to the main dishes. This is a great place to take visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!austineaterVIPDined on 5/23/2014This place is a gem! I don't know how it escaped my notice for so long. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Russian food..whodathought?justMHODined on 5/18/2014We went for a birthday celebration for something unique and all three were surprised that we loved each dish. Had the Julliene Classic mushroom dish, borscht soup, beef stroganoff, stuffed cabbage and of course the infused vodkas. Each one was perfect! The service was also excellent and it was quiet on a Sunday evening with no band. We had read in reviews that sometimes it's loud with the bar noise or band. All in all, I will not wait for another 'special occasion' so go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Gem in Austin!GourmetVeggieSleuthDined on 5/15/2014I was very pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed The Russian House during a Girls Night Out with a friend. It was different from the other fine restaurants in Austin. The evening starts out with a complimentary vodka shot on the house! I was initially skeptical as I was a vegetarian. I thought I might have very few food options. Our waitress pulled out a full vegetarian menu for me!! I plan to go back there with my entire family soon for a unique, delicious dining experience. The cocktails, wine and vodka selections were off the charts too! There was a Russian musician playing the piano and singing outside the dining area at the Bar. Oh and patient, polite service all night! It makes for a fantastic night out!Special Features:
- Tasty & Unique ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2014Russian House is a completely unique experience.... from the front it doesn't look like much until you walk through the large wooden door in the back and you are transported to cosy Russian "home" setting. The food is simple and delicious in a kitsch environment. The hand infused vodkas are a fun addition to any meal. They offer a wide variety of gluten free options as well. Wait staff was engaged and made the night even more memorable. Great experience! Eggplant rolls are a must!Special Features:
- MagicalfoodiegaloreDined on 5/12/2014A very neat social scene, worth the trip. Where else can you get your fill of vodka from what seemed to be 50+ jars of infussed drinks.Special Features:
- Delicious!thannerDined on 5/11/2014Our first time trying Russian food- will absolutely be back! Traditional and more modern Russian dishes, very wide variety. We had the borscht, vinaigrette salad, stroganoff, homemade dumplings, blinis and the classic julienne. We ended up sharing everything, because it was all delicious. The classic julienne was my favorite...wild mushrooms in a baked sour cream sauce. The food was rather heavy though, you definitely won't leave hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off-night in the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Our meal on Sunday was truly awful. Something was seriously wrong in the kitchen that night. My chicken tabaka with marinated vegetables was so shot through with salt that it was inedible and had to be sent back. Another's sturgeon shaslik, the same thing and the fish itself had such a strong, unpleasant fishy taste and was so undercooked as to be worrisome. He should have sent it back but felt bad doing that as we'd just had to send back my chicken dish. The cold borscht which I've had before and loved was not good that night, the predominant taste being that of horseradish, which really did not work in a beet borscht. The only thing that was good of all the things we tried was the eggplant caviar.
- Da!SuperdomeDined on 5/11/2014Brought my Ukraine born wife for Mother's Day. What better compliment can a Russian restaurant have than her feeling that she had been transported back in time at least 30 years to her small town of Lenin with her late mother and all of her friends cooking for a holiday meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- za tva-jó zda-ró-vyeAmbianceDined on 5/11/2014'To Your Health': The service, food and ambiance at this Russian Jewel on 6t street in Austin was amazing. Definitely a change of pace from your routine restaurant. Well worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome & Vegan FriendlyRyanDined on 5/8/2014In town for a conference I was looking for something a bit different, yet delicious. My hotel room looked down into the roof of this place, which is painted with the name if the restaurant, so I checked it out. I'm glad that I did! Ambiance made me feel I was in an 80's spy movie. Meal started with a complimentary vodka shot with some fresh veggies. I had the beet & tomato salad, the potatoes and onions, and the halva for dessert. My waitress helped me to decide on all an said that they would all go well together. It was all delicious. Being vegan there were plenty of options for me to choose from, which was pretty great and a welcome change to so many other joints in Austin. The honey ginger infused vodka was awesome as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you to The Russian House!erinbrooks6Dined on 4/20/2014My husband and I had a blast trying out new foods at the Easter brunch. We're obviously not Russian, and we've never experienced a cultural experience quite like it since we've never been to Russia either. The Russian decor and atmosphere was welcoming and comfortable. Everyone was very friendly and answered any questions we had. The food was fantastic and I enjoyed hearing the other patrons speaking Russian. I would love to visit again someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Already planning on return trip.AmyEatsDined on 4/19/2014An original. You don't have to be familiar with Russian to love this place and recognize great food when you've been served it. There are so many infused vodkas and signature cocktails you could easily come back 50 times and try something different. I love that diversity. We also had the borsch and the beef roll - both fantastic. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Russian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014We have Russian heritage and went to Russia house for a birthday celebration. Great food and very nice hostess, waitress. They do not rush you and it's fun to kick off the meal with traditional vodka and russian appetizers. the only complaint is that they need to have the door to the bar swing shut automatically. People kept leaving the door open and the noise from the band made it difficult to talk and enjoy our meal. Our poor waitress kept running back to shut the door so she did the best she could but simply putting a spring on the door to keep it shut would be the best answer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vodka!RussianFoodDined on 4/19/2014My family and I are always on the lookout for new types of cuisines to try, and the Russian House was right up our alley. The employees were all very friendly. The Russian House was kind enough to swap our table to accomodate an extra person that came with us to dinner. I really love that as soon as you enter they have sets of typical Russian outfits that individuals can put on and take pictures with. That just extends the whole Russian dining experience. They also introduced us to the typical tradition of starting a meal with a shot of vodka. The food was excellent and we did not wait extremely long to receive our meals. I definetely recommend this restaurant for anyone who is looking for something different.Special Features:
- Taste of the Family Dinner of YoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014We went for Sunday brunch, which offers a sampling of many of my childhood favorites. The peirogis and crock pickles were stellar. Will return to experience the regular menu. Thinking we would enjoy that even more. Looking forward to sampling one of the many many infused vodkas. Lace table cloths, samovars and pictures of what could have been anyone's grandparents made the experience authentic. Was a birthday meal and I was suprised by a song and piece of cake. Lovely, but even as a youth, Eastern European desserts were never a stong suit. (Perhaps I was always too full from the meal). Our servers, even during the buffet, were attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very authentic Russian - notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014very authentic Russian - not Americanized at all - so be prepared!Special Features:
- authentic and vegetarian-friendlyharveyDined on 4/5/2014This was my first experience at a Russian restaurant and everything about it was great - from the art in the bar area to the tchockes in the dining area, to the infused vodkas, to the food. It didn't feel like a 'theme' restaurant either - something a corporation pulled together to give diners a Russian 'experience.' No, this felt like a family-run restaurant with decorations from someone's grandparents. Food servers were knowledgeable and seemed to be from Russia or Eastern Europe themselves. I was a little worried about limited food selection as someone who doesn't eat meat - fortunately there were several veggie and fish options that were quite good. The complementary vodka at the start of the meal got things off to a great start!Special Features:
- Authentic if priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014We went to the Sunday lunch buffet, $25 a head. Selections included four hot dishes several salads and appetizers, 2 soups, and a variety of breads. All were very good and authentic as far as we remember from our time in various former Soviet Republics and Russia. (Though the borscht was unlike any we had ever had anywhere Ukraine included. Had chicken and no cabbage.) The dining room is quite nice and Russian knick knacks are all over the place. Service was excellent even though it was a buffet. It's pricey especially considering the selection, but buffet price is in line with their regular menu prices, and it's the only place to get authentic Russian food in the city. For a family 5 we'll only be able to go on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.