The Russian House
307 East 5th Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
The Russian House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://russianhouseofaustin.com/
- Phone: (512) 428-5442
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: Vladimir Gribkov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Russian House of Austin event catering delivers the Russian cuisine wherever you and your guests gather. Our signature dishes arrive at your location with an on-site Private Event Manager and a dedicated team of executive chefs, certified bartenders and Russian House of Austin trained servers. From choosing your menu to overseeing the smallest details, Russian House of Austin event catering staff looks forward to helping create your perfect occasion.
For more information please call (512) 4285442 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Unforgettable.
Experience the sensation of private dining at Russian House of Austin where we treat you and your special guests to unforgettable dining for your next business gathering, family celebration, dinner club or anything in between.
Please contact our Private Dining manager at email@example.com for details and availability for your special events.
- Private Party Contact: Varda Salkey 5124285442x
- Entertainment: Live music 2 times a week. For details, please call 512.428.5442 or view Upcoming Events on our website. Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4-7PM, Combo Lunches special Monday-Friday 11AM-4PM, Dinners-daily 4PM-12AM, Free Tango nights every Tuesday at 8:30pm. Discotheque every Friday saturday
A word from The Russian House
Welcome to The Russian House NaZdorovye! We are the only Russian restaurant in Austin, authentic in its cuisine and decor. We offer lunch combo specials Monday- Friday 11AM-4PM, Brunch on Saturdays and, and an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet every Sunday 11 AM to 4 PM, Dinner-daily 4PM-12AM. We entertain our guests with live music and discotheque every Friday Saturday and , free Tango nights every Tuesday starting at 8pm. If you're not familiar with Russian food, we will provide you with a picture menu. We have a variety of gluten-free and vegan options. The restaurant features a full serving bar with one-of-a-kind selection of organic house-infused vodkas (100+), private dining rooms, and a beautiful patio. For questions and dinner reservations please call 512.428.5442Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Russian House - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Russian House reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)special occasion (21)good for groups (19)romantic (15)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Amazing and uniqueJenniferVIPDined on 11/22/2014Our waitress, from Moscow, gently moved us through the menu. I've never been in Russia, but it felt like we were, even though we were in Texas! I'd love to go back but don't live in Austin. Really wonderful, charming experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lot of FunDanFDined on 11/15/2014I really enjoyed dinner at the Russian House. The atmosphere is great - from the decor to the authentic Eastern European service. The food was good, in a home-cooked kind of way. I wouldn't go here expecting a phenomenal gastronomic experience, but it's definitely worth a visit. I'll almost certainly be returning for more vodka, Ukranian salo and straightforward Russian hospitality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the vodka and morekarenaaDined on 11/15/2014a wall of infused vodkas, a full menu page of caviars, what's not to like? Food, ambiance, would definitely visit again if I'm back in AustinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, interesting, thrillingFabulousExperienceDined on 11/8/2014Delicious food presented in artistic and cultural ways. Not heavy like German food. Every dish was wonderful; is a great way for each person to order something different and everyone shares. Each party's table is separated by a curtain, so it's nicely secluded from others' views; feels very private. Only downer for us was that a person at the table on the other side of the curtain from us was so very loud that it was difficult for us to hear our own conversation at times. Overall, we were very happy with our first time at the Russian House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky and excellent, as usualRoccoRonzoniDined on 11/1/2014Very good food, and very good service, as usual. An owner who really knows how to use social media and to make dining fun. We keep coming back for the authentic and unusual nature of this place - our Russian-American grandma would be very proud. Our only concern - when the music is playing, it is very loud. We like a nice, quiet place to eat after a long day at work, and that ain't here.Special Features:
- Wonderful place2BlackberriesDined on 10/31/2014I loved each decoration details! Including the dinnerware with each plate different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Go!jtlc512Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I absolutely loved this place! It totally felt like we weren't in Austin, and yet was funky and eclectic like Austin used to be. A series of small group rooms plus a couple of big dining rooms filled with Russian knick knacks and antiques gave the place a nice ambiance. I wish we still drank (not really) as their homemade organic infused vodkas looked phenomenal. Loved the food and extensive menu and they had a live jazz (ish) band while we were there too. The service was probably the weakest area, but she was fairly attentive and polite and did check back in on us. She was just a tad on the impersonal side and didn't have a lot to say beyond taking our order; could be a cultural thing. Just go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- романтика diningyngwie35Dined on 10/14/2014The food was delicious. Though it was my first time to visit, I found the staff to be quite inviting, and was made to feel at ease -- free to browse all the interesting items sprinkled throughout the restaurant. I was invited to dine by an ethnic Russian native - through their guidance, I thoroughly enjoyed the items ordered, and will be visiting again soon.Special Features:
- Super simple foodsFoodieDined on 10/4/2014We love Nordic foods (beets, cabbage, herring, lamb, vodka) but had never tried Russian food. The food was delicious and simple and the price was fantastic! We will be back. (P.s. Great for gluten free and dairy free eaters)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night PlaceAMoczygembaDined on 9/26/2014This was a great place for a date night. Friendly staff, great food, and a romantic ambience. Will definitely be back to try another dish and more flavors of vodka!Special Features:
- AuthenticwidgetDined on 9/26/2014Most authentic russian food I've found in the states.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun experienceDrewTerminatorDined on 9/25/2014As its name suggests, the place is wonderfully authentic. Food is quite tasty, and having vodka with the meal throughout was quite enjoyable. Go check it out, comrade!Special Features:
- Not what you expectsusanDined on 9/18/2014when we walked into the restaurant it was like stepping back in time to a dark back alley speak easy in Russia. Just glad we didn't judge the book by the cover. After a round at the bar, we were lead into the main dining room which was bright and clean. The food was authentic. It was served nice and hot. The waitress was very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed The Russian HouseoenophileVIPDined on 9/16/2014There are not many Russian/East European restaurants in Austin, and The Russian House does a great job. The food was delicious, and there are some choices you just won't find elsewhere. The wine list has some interesting Georgian wines, for those willing to experiment a bit. And our server Vika was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceMeFoodTalkGoodDined on 9/13/2014Had never tried Russian cuisine before now. It was so good I'm now a Communist. Highly recommend the Pelmeni (veal). This was an incredible experience, comrades. If it's your first time, make sure to tell the wait staff-- very knowledgeable and will walk you through the menu.Special Features:
- Otlichno!okhotnikDined on 9/11/2014This was our first visit to Russian House but it won't be our last. The beef stroganoff and the lamb in special sauce were both great and the Ukranian borscht was equally tasty. I don't think I've ever seen quite the extensive array of Vodka offerings anywhere before. I tried the Oligarch - smooth as silk. Our waitress Natalia was helpful and attentive. (Spasibo vam bolshoya) And let me tell you about the Napoleon we ahd for dessert - a lovely treat. Yes - I'll be back!Special Features:
- Real Russian HospitalityJayegDined on 9/5/2014Where else can you sample dozens of infused vodkas, eat cabbage in various forms, and enjoy a jazz combo with jazz balalaika being strummed? The service was friendly and welcoming. Loved the salad of pickled carrots and beets. And the egg with red caviar? Yes! This isn't a place for light dining, this is food that sticks to your ribs. It was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great girlfriend date spotnotafoodienotawriterDined on 9/4/2014My girlfriend and I always celebrate our bdays together and she suggested we try Russian House this year for our bday dinner. The place feels like someone's house, which makes it very inviting. You're given a chilled vodka shot when you are seated. We ordered one speciality cocktail, Stalin's something or other and it was quite tasty. We also ordered a jasmine and honey vodka to taste which was also very good. For food we went with beef stroganoff and the stuffed cabbage. I was hesitant about the cabbage but it was delicious. I loved how everything tasted and felt like I was at someone's grandma's house being served homemade dinner. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretaustinjazzfanDined on 8/29/2014Unique and delicious appetizers and entrees and the MOST reasonable price you will find downtown. Fabulous music in the bar on weekends, and more varieties of unusual infused vodka shots than I could count. My fav: a citrus elderflower infusion....WOW! The bartenders and waitresses are very freindly and attentive. Overall, this is a great place to spend the evening - bar before, dinner, and back to the bar after diessert!Special Features:
- Great experience!AustinFoodieDined on 8/20/2014Incredibly authentic tasty food with a very Russian ambiance. I look forward to my next meal here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- possibilitiesDined on 8/16/2014Food good. Tables close together so dishes not "served" correctly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJimR616Dined on 8/15/2014The Russian House is one of my favorite places in Austin. The ambiance is straight from St. Petersburg, and the food and service are great. I will come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedTravelingtodineDined on 7/29/2014We were looking for something different and we found it. It was my husbands birthday and the succulent elk pelmeni and the decadent Napoleon made him very happy. Our friends split the hunters plate and said it was delishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- USSR Flashback... in a good wayMadisonDined on 7/26/2014what a fun & funky place-a mashup of Russian Ukrainian Czech Polish Lithuanian Uzbekistanian food & culture. literally dozens of freshly infused vodkas to choose from; very modest meals (peasant rolls) to very extravagant (champagne & Beluga caviar). Great live music after 8:30-private rooms for large parties and a large dining room for quaint cozy intimate seating. the food was quite good but the atmosphere was the best. there are "loaner" coats & hats for each customer to feel like they are back in old USSR... in a good, nostalgic way. service so good & everyone so nice & accommodating. staff very eager to explain each dish and very patiently answer all questions. parking an issue but Eddie Vs @ the corner allows valet until 12aSpecial Features:
- The following 183 reviews are from the The Russian House reviews archive.
- Very nice russian night!AcantalDined on 7/25/2014We happened to book the Russian House for dinner during a party night (Black & White Hollywood night), expecting it would be quite noisy, but didn't find it that bad (on the noise aspect), quite the opposite, nice piano music and attentive service. The food was overall very good (we had 4 different dishes and the blinis to start, excellent, must try!), the only little problem being that the waitress waited too long to let us know they were out of one of the orders...too late to choose another one (as the other orders were almost ready), so we we're "pushed" towards the chef special, which was our least favorite dish...and it came a little cold. Despite of that, the service compensates for the mishaps and we will most likely be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great real Russian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/22/2014Great authentic food from former Soviet Union at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- I don't always eat Russian food...FantasticVIPDined on 7/19/2014But when I do, I will go to this restaurant! Really neat building, cool bar up front with a ton of infused vodkas, live music. Free shot of vodka and appetizer was nice. The owner came by and gave some good recommendations for first-time guests. We had never eaten caviar so we had the egg with red caviar. It was different, fishy, but we like trying new foods. I recommend squeezing the lime over it with a little dill (included). The Pelmeni was described to us as a type of soup but came in a bowl with a lid and only had the meat dumplings in them. We chose the veal which was a little gamy but good. The Golubtsy was fantastic. Great sauce, fresh herbs, I highly recommend it! Kiev cake was delicious. Worth a visit, real homey atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different from anything aroundFrancescaVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was good, great service, nice ambiance. I would suggest it if you want to try something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerJulesDined on 7/11/2014Wait staff was very helpful, dinner was delicious, vodka selection which they are known for was very fun, and the place had a great decor. I don't know if this is 'authentic' Russian food but it is very good. A bit pricey but worth it. The restaurant portion was also quiet which I loved! It connects to a fun bar but there is a door that separates them so while eating I could actually talk quietly with my dinner companion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hа здоровье!GrandmaShirlVIPDined on 6/14/2014Vodka is wonderful and the food well prepared and interesting in flavour. Service needs a little polishing, but the overall experience was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014Cool experience but food was not great. Would try again.Special Features:
- Russian House AustinfoodforfunDined on 6/14/2014Russian House was a good find for a quirky place to try and expand horizons. The bar in the front, restaraunt in the back had a very Eastern European feel. The service was good. The food we had was pretty good, the appetizer came with vodka shots always a good choice. The main courses were tasty but not necessarily an oh my thats awesome plate. The menu in my opinion had too many choices versus here are a few great Russian dishes one must try. Same for the cavair and vodka selections. Russian house has potential and overall would recommend to others. Go try it, good prices for a lot of food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Unique Cousine For AustinOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014Very good ethnic food accompanied by good service. With 100 different vodkas, we had a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimesdinerDined on 5/24/2014If you want to try something different this is the place to go. My boyfriend & I had a blast from the huge list of infused vodkas to the main dishes. This is a great place to take visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!austineaterVIPDined on 5/23/2014This place is a gem! I don't know how it escaped my notice for so long. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Russian food..whodathought?justMHODined on 5/18/2014We went for a birthday celebration for something unique and all three were surprised that we loved each dish. Had the Julliene Classic mushroom dish, borscht soup, beef stroganoff, stuffed cabbage and of course the infused vodkas. Each one was perfect! The service was also excellent and it was quiet on a Sunday evening with no band. We had read in reviews that sometimes it's loud with the bar noise or band. All in all, I will not wait for another 'special occasion' so go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Gem in Austin!GourmetVeggieSleuthDined on 5/15/2014I was very pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed The Russian House during a Girls Night Out with a friend. It was different from the other fine restaurants in Austin. The evening starts out with a complimentary vodka shot on the house! I was initially skeptical as I was a vegetarian. I thought I might have very few food options. Our waitress pulled out a full vegetarian menu for me!! I plan to go back there with my entire family soon for a unique, delicious dining experience. The cocktails, wine and vodka selections were off the charts too! There was a Russian musician playing the piano and singing outside the dining area at the Bar. Oh and patient, polite service all night! It makes for a fantastic night out!Special Features:
- Tasty & Unique ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2014Russian House is a completely unique experience.... from the front it doesn't look like much until you walk through the large wooden door in the back and you are transported to cosy Russian "home" setting. The food is simple and delicious in a kitsch environment. The hand infused vodkas are a fun addition to any meal. They offer a wide variety of gluten free options as well. Wait staff was engaged and made the night even more memorable. Great experience! Eggplant rolls are a must!Special Features:
- MagicalfoodiegaloreDined on 5/12/2014A very neat social scene, worth the trip. Where else can you get your fill of vodka from what seemed to be 50+ jars of infussed drinks.Special Features:
- Delicious!thannerDined on 5/11/2014Our first time trying Russian food- will absolutely be back! Traditional and more modern Russian dishes, very wide variety. We had the borscht, vinaigrette salad, stroganoff, homemade dumplings, blinis and the classic julienne. We ended up sharing everything, because it was all delicious. The classic julienne was my favorite...wild mushrooms in a baked sour cream sauce. The food was rather heavy though, you definitely won't leave hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.