460 Myrtle Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://therunnerbk.com/
- Phone: 7186436500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Runner
An American heritage restaurant + bar celebrating the history and diversity of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. Open wood fire oven in the restaurant and craft cocktails at the bar. Come enjoy life with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Runner - Best Restaurants in Clinton Hill ›
The Runner reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (16)romantic (13)good for groups (10)great for brunch (7)special occasion (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great dinnerTexasJules01VIPDined on 10/18/2014Very nice general manager and waiter, solidly prepared food with seasonal ingredients - everything we ate was just great! One of my favorites was the roasted corn side (with Parmesan cheese, herbs and buttermilk) although my date really enjoyed their squash salad (it's served warm and has the perfect fall touch). He got the oxtail tagliatelle which was surprisingly super light for a pasta dish & was delicious while I got the striped bass with tomatillo and mache which was cooked just right. Overall would definitely recommend this place - delish!Special Features:
- Fresh ingredientsShaprpestclawscatDined on 10/3/2014The runner excels with simplicity- fresh ingredients full of flavor. Portions are perfect and served with great display. Food is allowed to taste like food without heavy fats or sauces that mask the real flavor. Great place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Birthday! LOVE!FreetheFoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014We were pleasantly surprised. Lot's of great surprises in way of food and drinks on the menu. The corn for instance was amazing...Street corn meets high end deliciousness. Our waiter though was the star of the show. So patient with us...It was my mother's 71st birthday and since she was visiting I grabbed some of my girlfriends and we headed out...Beautiful outdoor space and the inside is nicely updated as well. We were always super fans of the old location and sad to see it go but am glad it was replaced by something worth changing our weekly ritual for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Tables led us to this GemtgindcVIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I were in Brooklyn for the afternoon and overnight, and knew nothing about restaurants here. My Open Tables app pulled through once again, and we had a fantastic dinner at The Runner. Open only seven months, they are doing everything right. Are only qualm was the very cold temperature, but they turned the temperature up on the thermostat and we were then very comfortable. The salted trout was just unbelievably good, and the short ribs were very good as well. Kale salad with pistachios is one I will try to make it home, fantastic. Wonderful selection of whiskeys. Go have a meal here, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itGrillguy55VIPDined on 8/12/2014Have now been to the Runner four times and each time the food has been outstanding. Not fussy at all but very well prepared and presented. We will typically order a number of starters, sides and meats and there eat family style. In particular the short ribs and lamb ribs were outstanding this past visit with the meat falling off the bone. The popovers are always a terrific starter and the selection of salads is always interesting. For sides we also had a great ratatouille which was new for us. Wine list is varied and reasonably priced. A very good neighborhood experience and also worth travelling for in my view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for any occasionFooDs4EVADined on 8/8/2014Went to The Runner with friends for dinner and had a pleasant dining experience. Easy street parking and the place was packed. We were given the option to sit on the outdoor patio. The menu wasn't overwhelming and the wait staff made some good recommendations. The chopped salad and tongue bread are a must order, the raw oysters were fresh, the chicken liver pate to die for, the ratatouille delicious, and the salmon and braised short rib left us wanting more. A steak option would have been a good addition to the menu, but they had fish, pork, and chicken entrée options to choose from. We had the crème brulee for dessert which was on-point. Good drink/wine selection too. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationDOEworkersDined on 8/7/2014Great place to celebrate my birthday. It Was just what I wanted quite, relaxing and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaniPDined on 7/19/2014Our food was delicious - still thinking about the kale salad and the roast chicken for 2!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Overall an excellent experience. Food was great and the atmosphere lovely. The staff was outstanding. The hostess re-seated us in deference to my hearing issues. The noise level was not too high, I just needed a more isolated seating to comfortably hear my partner. Highly recommend this great neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I shouldn't have...DvhungerVIPDined on 7/4/2014Have you ever heard about someone going back to a restaurant for the salad because it's so good? Trust me, the chopped salad of brussel sprouts and kale with pistachios is delicious. Much of the rest is swell including the melt in your mouth short ribs. I've also enjoyed the flavorful chicken for two. Though chicken isn't usually my go to meal in a restaurant. Oh, then there are the smashed potatoes - I had this for the first time in Florence. Glad that it's moved state side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the The Runner reviews archive.
- doesn't deliverBabblinBabsDined on 6/15/2014we thought we'd give the runner a try. the decor is cute, has outdoor seating and the menu only had a handful of dishes which i find a good sign: i ordered "sweet potato hash browns with sausage, chipotle and cilantro". what i got:mushy sweet potato, nothing hashbrown about it with a boatload of spring onions.if you wanna mention the cilantro, you should mention the onion considering there is 3 x as much. and i hate onions. problem#2, they cant soft fry or poach an egg. if you serve breakfast, make sure you have a chef that can poach an egg. lastly, twice they brought something that wasnt ours and once they brought our drinks and said they werent ours. number your tables, make sure the food matches the description and hire a proper chefSpecial Features:
- Myrtle Ave stylesatiableDined on 6/7/2014Charming, ambitious, and smart, The Runner's menu is unlikely to challenge you, and that's a compliment. This is place where you can have a sophisticated but causal meal presented with some panache, without worrying that anything on the menu will jump the track. Enjoy.Special Features:
- great find in BrooklynBabetteChaserDined on 5/31/2014Classy and comfortable at the same time, I found The Runner close to ideal for a fabulous dining experience minus the pretension that sometimes seems to be the inevitable price to pay for an excellent meal. The service was friendly, attentive, and always on the mark. The tables were just close enough to feel like you were sharing the experience with others similarly joined by the experience, but spaced well enough to allow each group to enjoy one another's company. The food was spectacular. If you've eaten out as much as most, you know that many restaurant experiences can leave you knowing what a few hundred dollars won't get you rather than what wonderful food tastes like. Bone marrow and escargot? Salt baked trout? Fabulous. Really.Special Features:
- Great foodkikuyuDined on 5/31/2014The service was a little bit slow, but great ambience. A good neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Runner!iriedesignDined on 5/15/2014Very accomodating, food is excellent .. as they say, neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchJennybeanDined on 5/11/2014This restaurant was nice, the staff was great. It can get a little noisy with the children. The food was just ok, I had better at other restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Luvs2eatDined on 5/2/2014Learned about this sweet little place on a Tasting Table. Didn't disappoint! Great atmosphere. Excellent service. Didn't feel rushed. Good wine list. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- A delight!Fish5VIPDined on 4/27/2014Great food, from the mushroom goat cheese tart, chopped salad, cauliflower and the chicken, which is to die for! Fennel ice cream was a winner as well. Will be back!!!!Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/24/2014Great neighborhood find. A bit pricey but good for a splurge night out. The renovation is great, warm, trendy ambience. Everything was good, very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2014Delicious inventive menu. Comfortable setting. We were a large group an.d everything we ordered was a success. Not one bad dish. !Special Features:
- fantastic new placedab3Dined on 4/5/2014Great food, affordable, awesome new addition to neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Reason To Dine in BrooklynBrooklyniteVIPDined on 4/4/2014The Runner is exactly what a Brooklyn place is supposed to be. Historic feel/informal/friendly/understated/lively BUT very serious about the food/drink/wine without making a big fuss about it. Wood burning oven, open kitchen, interesting & varied wine list. Excellent veggie dishes, as well as meat/fish/fowl. There's something for everyone on the menu, it seems. Attentive but pleasant, low-key service. Attractive layout, good bar(s). Location on Myrtle avenue that feels like early Smith St. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden neighborhood gem, couldn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2014Hidden neighborhood gem, couldn't believe it wasn't more crowded. Food and staff were wonderful. Planning to get back soon.Special Features:
- Great all aroundbrookjooDined on 3/24/2014The Runner. reminds of Vinegar Hill House (in a good way) before it got slammed and prices went bananas. Food was excellent and so reasonable. We sat in the main room which has a semi-open kitchen that you can also eat in front of at a nice marble bar. Our server was attentive and friendly, but not hovering. Wine list was nice and sommelier very knowledgable. The food was fantastic and I highly recommend the pork tenderloin, short ribs, and cheesecake. Only niggle was that the brussel sprouts were a little soupy, but tasted nice and no cheating by using bacon. Really great addition to Brooklyn and not overly precious or twee. Simple but tasteful room and food follows suit. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Brooklyn Winner!!KTANYCVIPDined on 3/24/2014Had heard good things about The Runner from friends and wasn't disappointed last night. My son had the Hangar Steak and Frites and was very happy---I stole some fries and was glad to see they were properly done---twice cooked! I ordered the Braised Short Rib and found it delicious and perfectly cooked. i was surprised by the preperation of the Brussel Sprouts I ordered on the side--but pleasantly. They were a bit 'asian' inspired and were among the best I've tasted. The bar looked great too with a wide selection of Bourbons and other spirits. A great new restaurant for locals and foodies alike. We dined before an event at the Barclays Center and will certainly visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique approach and all deliciousWorldTravelerVIPDined on 3/8/2014We really enjoyed our meal at The Runner. Using the wood burning oven for just about every hot dish made for a bit different experience than the same old American bistro/locavore food which has gotten ubiquitous in Brooklyn. The roasted oysters, short ribs, and lamb shoulder were all fabulous and perfectly cooked. Even dessert, which is often an afterthought, was simple, but yummy--we had a house-made chocolate cake which was not too sweet and we ate every crumb. The wine list alone would keep us coming back, as its become very annoying to go out for a reasonably-priced meal and not find a wine on the list under $50. This list had many high-quality selections at a good price-point in the $35-45 range, some unusual ones too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed The Runner.RadoVIPDined on 3/8/2014Really enjoyed The Runner. It was a good combination of a nice cosy friendly atmosphere and simple, without being plain. The food was quite different but not fussy. The bone marrow, together with the snails was a perfect combination. The roasted shoulder of lamb was delicious and something that one can never find. And the wine excellent for the price. Wil definitely return.Special Features:
- Decent food but overpricedEllenMVIPDined on 3/8/2014The restaurant has a limited menu that is overpriced for the neighborhood. I ordered the short ribs, and really can't recommend the dish. The meat was not very tender, there was no sauce or braising liquid, and for the price, the portion was tiny. You have to order sides separately or else all you have is a small piece of meat on a plate...
- Valuable addition to Myrtle AvenuedavungerDined on 3/5/2014We have waited a long time for a restaurant like The Runner. The dishes are well-prepared and delicious. The service is friendly, without being unctious.Special Features:
- Not only was the food fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014Not only was the food fantastic and the decor and service lovely, but there was such a friendly and relaxed vibe that made us feel so welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers delightBoboDined on 2/28/2014Great starters especiallypopovers & tarts which is a thin crust pizza and can be a main. Main courses are tasty but very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just open a few weeks, butBrooklyniteVIPDined on 2/24/2014Just open a few weeks, but well-organized. Very friendly, attentive staff. Charming, attractive spaces (2 store fronts, one a bar, the other a dining room with wood-fired oven). Excellent, focused New American menu, very well-prepared and served. Thoughtful wine list, cocktails at the bar. Bottom line: a terrific new addition to the Clinton Hill scene. It's easy to anticipate becoming a regular visitor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was delicious! broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2014it was delicious! brought my girl here for V-day, it was a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014Last night we decided to try The Runner a new restaurant in Brooklyn. Too many new restaurants need time to get the service and food right. NOT The Runner, from the time we walked we were greeted as though we were frequent diners. The staff could not have been more congenial. Service at the bar and during dinner was outstanding but nothing compared to the variety of appetizers and entrees. Being of Cuban decent I immediately knew what I was going to order--Roast Pork. I may have to have it again before I try some of the other offerings. My wife couldn't finish the Salt Baked Trout with a side dish of white beans with duck confit. I'm a desert person and the Carrot pudding with fennel ice cream was over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.