The Rumor Mill
8069 Tiber Alley
Ellicott City, MD 21043Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $31 to $50
The Rumor Mill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.therumormillrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4104610041
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: open at 5 p.m.; Saturday - Sunday: open at 12 p.m. Closed Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: The Rumor Mill has an accessible private room for parties of up to 25, and a larger, semi-private upstairs mezzanine that can accommodate up to 65. The restaurant is also available for buyouts depending on booked business.
- Cross Street: Main St
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Looking for parking in Ellicott City? There's an app for that! Download Streetline's free Parker app for Droid or iPhone and see real-time parking availability throughout town. For details or to download the app, visit Streetline's website: http://www.streetline.com/find-parking/
A word from The Rumor Mill
The building may be historic, but the food and drink at the Rumor Mill Fusion Bar & Restaurant is all modern. Join us in the heart of Ellicott City's quaint historic district and enjoy globally-inspired small plates, house-made desserts, a smart beer and wine list and Maryland's only fusion vodka bar. Open for dinner daily and for lunch and dinner on Saturdays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Rumor Mill - Best Restaurants in Ellicott City ›
The Rumor Mill reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (14)romantic (13)good for groups (10)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Rumor MillChrisDined on 10/23/2014Wait staff mostly attentive throughout the meal and took the time and interest to describe the food selections. Food was interesting and well prepared. The restaurant is tapas style with a limited variety of small plates. As a "fusion" restaurant it is somewhat eclectic with regard to the various tastes assembled and it did not disappoint. Especially notable was the calamari with bacon and the fried brussel sprouts. The chef took the time to visit our table and chat and even offered up a free dessert concoction at the end of our meal. I would recommend this restaurant for those wanting something a little different but nicely done. The meal was a tad on the expensive side, but not to the point that you felt it wasn't worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- libations and fun dishesAFinkDined on 10/17/2014Honey-miso scallops, seared perfectly. Fried oysters were very tasty, and had an interesting flavor profile, prepared in an Asian style. Sliders were very tasty but could have used some heat on the bun before being served. The pork belly was a large portion and was prepared well. However, our two favorite dishes were the brie sampler and the Brussels sprouts. Both were really fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply incredible!JaimGannDined on 10/9/2014We ate at the Rumor Mill for our anniversary, and agreed that it was the best food we've eaten (out) in our entire married life. I mentioned in our reservation that it was our 10th anniversary, and when we arrived the staff greeted us with obvious excitement. A hand-written card at our table, from the owners, offered us congratulations. Every small plate was a masterpiece, in some cases bordering on "molecular gastronomy" in creativity. Toward the end of the meal, the chef/owner came out with a dish on the house that truly blew our minds, a concoction with feta cheese, leek ash, and infused oil, among other things, on French bread. The staff were friendly, attentive without hovering, and kind. We were also very impressed with the drinks!Special Features:
- Great Find for Foodies!frequentdinerDined on 10/9/2014From the minute you walk through the door service is welcoming, efficient and honest. They told us they couldn't bring all our food out at once for our group of 9, but that was fine. When they found out we had a birthday celebrant, he received a free dessert. Beginning with the rosemary infused gin and tonic everything was uniquely and appropriate seasoned/flavored. And everything was housemade - even the four varieties of ketchup served with the fries, the toppings for the brie sampler, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waite staffDining4JoyDined on 10/8/2014Introduced my son and partner to this restaurant this visit. Food was great. Holly who waited on us was a total delight. Made for another memorable evening at this special restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Although the food is good, the menu is very limited, thus not an ideal place to return to more than twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceJRTravelerDined on 9/7/2014The Texas Mystery Box event was a smash with exciting recipes and twists on southern dishes, all supported by innovative cocktails. The service was exceptional and the chef's attention to detail was remarkable.Special Features:
- Perfect for Friendsfoodie4liiiifeDined on 8/30/2014Always want to order everything and take a taste from everyone's plate? Now you can!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014We had not been to Ellicott City in 15 years but stayed in a nearby bed and breakfast for our 45th anniversary. We had picked the Rumor Mill for our anniversary dinner from the Open Table comments. The food was divine. Every dish was as good as it gets in the Baltimore Washington area. One dish, the Brussel Sprouts, was simply the best ever. Service was impeccable and warm. We loved it and will return often. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas in Historic Ellicott CitySBB55VIPDined on 8/20/2014The Rumor Mill is a nice find - pleasant, tapas restaurant in Historic Ellicott City, perfect for a "catch up with friends" sort of dining experience that was our purpose this past week. My dining companion and I shared 4 "tapas" and enjoyed each: seared scallops, brussels sprouts, watermelon salad and Kobe beef sliders. The buns on the sliders were on the gummy side but the burgers were very nice and the 4 sliders are enough to feed one for dinner, by themselves. The sprouts were good, as was the watermelon salad, though a little difficult to eat with the melon arriving, with accompaniments, in one rectangular slab - nice to look at but a little challenging to eat with the other flavors once cut into manageable side. We will return.Special Features:
- YummyLHelenDined on 8/16/2014Food was excellent, service courteous and prompt... Looking forward to the next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in loveJessUDined on 8/15/2014As always it was an amazing experience! The food was awesome!! You can always find something you will like on the menu. Chef Matt changes the menu seasonally. He always has a new fun and very tasty thing to add to the line up. We left so full we thought we would explode! The staff is so kind and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great service great chefDarcy75Dined on 8/14/2014We had a wonderful evening and a wonderful dinner. When one our our dishes wasn't prepared to the chef's standards, he personally came out and made it up to us with wonderful alternatives. We were very well taken care of and our request for a quiet table was accommodated. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Quiet Sunday DinnerJtrooVIPDined on 8/10/2014Had a nice dinner. We've had the scallops before which were again great. We tried the ag cashew salad, pork belly, and tuna tartare which were pretty good. Service was wonderful. This was our third time and we'll be back.
- Always amazing!!!RumorMillRocksDined on 8/9/2014We have been to The Rumor Mill several times and have never been disappointed! From excellent service, great drinks, and the yummiest food, this restaurants got it all! Also great for vegetarian friendly options. We went for a birthday this time and they did so many things to make it a special evening. Definitely a wonderful experience and will continue to enjoy and recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Nice hideaway,romantic.VeenrayDined on 7/29/2014Last minute decision,glad we stopped in. Small plates were all excellent, highly recommend the brussel sprouts, tasted like candy. Vodkas are interesting but nothing special. Wines were all top notch. Pulled pork plate and scallops were also very good. Its tucked away in an alley, but well worth finding. We would happily return for another dinner.Special Features:
- Terrific foodbiteitDined on 7/25/2014The Rumor Mill is one of those places you go to for dishes you can't find anywhere else. Calamari with bacon. Oysters dragged in wasabi flour and flash fried. Bison meat sliders. In other words, plenty of delicious surprises, and the menu changes all the time. Pleasant, calming atmosphere. Great service. A blissful oasis at the end of a hectic day.Special Features:
- Diamond in the RoughOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/18/2014We dined at the Rumor Mill on a Friday evening and were surprised by the light crowd. The food was delicious and creative. The service was outstanding. And it was an excellent touch that Chef Matthew came to talk to us at the end our dining experience to present us with an amuse bouche. Tucked away in Tiber Alley, I'm afraid too few people realize what a charming little spot the Rumor Mill and that it is more than a trendy vodka infusion bar (which is a cool idea, but not its greatest feature.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CloverDined on 7/5/2014The food and service were excellent! We enjoted meeting the chef as he visited tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something differentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014interesting location, inventive chef, small plates, server attentive & pleasant, extensive specials listSpecial Features:
- The following 384 reviews are from the The Rumor Mill reviews archive.
- New Favorite RestaurantLizard301Dined on 6/13/2014I first heard about this place because it was the last stop on a Ghosts of Ellicott City tour I took 3 years ago. Finally, I was able to go for dinner last Friday. I absolutely fell in love with the ambiance, the "small plate" theme, and the fabulous dishes all around. My boyfriend and I ate half the menu, and it was totally not a problem that I was gluten free. The chef, apparently, also has a food allergy so it was no big deal. There's an enormous selection of gf and vegan offerings, and there were suggestions made by our server (Hi, Holly!) of offerings that could be modified at request. There is also a million infused vodkas, 2 infused bourbons, and several other house-made liquors. I will be definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!Greattapas1Dined on 6/13/2014A little off Main Street this Hidden Gem has great food, wonderful infused vodka drinks and romantic ambience. Food is Tapas style with Seasonal changes. Always a delightful experience as service is paced well....no one rushes you !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!GalaGalDined on 6/12/2014We so enjoyed our meal , the eclectic menu including wonder and fanciful cocktails. Would certainly go again!Special Features:
- visitor favoriteDining4JoyDined on 6/6/2014Invited my adult niece from out of town to my favorite restaurant and nothing disappointed - from the cozy environment, to the knowledgeable friendly wait staff, to the extraordinary food.Special Features:
- Extraordinary RestaurantmonthlygatherersDined on 6/6/2014Once a month me and three high school friends connect to catch up on our lives. We search for venues that are unique so that our gathering will be interesting and memorable. We found the Rumor Mill on the web and it definitely looked like a perfect fit for our June gathering. It was everything we expected. The tapas style gave us the opportunity to share many dishes, all of which were amazing. Our server, Holly, was friendly and professional and knowledgeable about the menu. The prices were very reasonable. The only thing we would have changed was the music selection as it didn't seem to fit the atmosphere of the restaurant. We suggest the singer/songwriter type music genre. Other than that, our evening was absolutely perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique fusion of flavorsMeilsb6Dined on 6/6/2014When you read their menu you will instantly notice the imaginative and thoughtful pairing of flavors within each dish. Their selection of dishes is pretty wide in comparison to many fine dining/artisan restaurants. To top it off, the staff was all very friendly and hospitable, chef is very health conscious as evident by the number of gluten-free and vegan dishes. The food quality and flavors were excellent! We are so happy to have celebrated our 13th anniversary with them and are looking forward to bringing other loved ones to share the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll give it another try.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014Nice place, food was good. The server started flustered, placed the wrong order, missed an order addition and missed an entree for the table. I will give the restaurant another try later this year to make certain this was a one time "bad night" for one server.Special Features:
- Disappointingdrj1VIPDined on 5/30/2014The reviews for The Rumor Mill were pretty good so we were looking forward to the evening. First off, the cherry "infused"bourbon was not infused at all, it was bourbon & cherry coke. Ditto the pomegranate infused vodka, vodka & pomegranate juice! The food itself was pretty good. The small plates were fun for experimenting but there was not a great deal of variety. Small plates are meant to be shared but there were no serving pieces so we had to use the same forks we were eating with to take food from the small plates. Mussels were served with no seafood forks available. It is hard to believe the restaurant has been open for 7 years- it needs lots of work./
- Superb Small Plates & CocktailsLarryVIPDined on 5/24/2014Our 2nd visit to the Rumor Mill. All the small plates were wonderful, with a beautiful presentation. Service was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalDining4JoyDined on 5/23/2014I continue to dine here, and bring out of town guests at every opportunity. The atmosphere is intimate. The food is exceptional and the ability to have the small plate portions offers the added pleasure of tasting more and sharing more which is just fun. The service is impeccable with all of the waite staff knowledgeable about the food and behaving in a manner that says they are genuinely glad you've come to their restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's DayDJUrbanCowboyDined on 5/11/2014We wanted to take our mother somewhere different and the Rumor Mill was quite nice. I am not personally of fan of Tapas style restaurants, as I am a larger man and small plates do not appeal to me, but the quality and flavors of the dishes were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers' Day TreatUpfromcolumbiaDined on 5/11/2014A wonderful find while trying to get reservations. Food was great as was service.Special Features:
- AuntieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Went for an early Mother's Day dinner. Enjoyed the tapas style selections. Favorites include the cashew, green bean and asparagus salad; arugula and beef with parmesan; crab fritters. Something for everyone. Server Holly was nice, informative and enthusiastic. Will definitely return. Would have given 5 stars but they have no decaf coffee and will not prepare dishes to-go.Special Features:
- Delicious, lots of different flavorbatemancerDined on 5/9/2014I went to the Rumor Mill with some coworkers after a conference in Baltimore. There were lots of options for small plates, and everyone got to try lots of different foods. I love fresh local eateries especially when traveling, and this is one I've been to twice in a few months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!HungryFriendDined on 5/3/2014Every dish we tried was delicious but the scallops were outstanding! And the list of fusion vodkas is crazy! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem.StephDined on 5/2/2014Good cocktail list. Wide variety of infused spirits available. I would recommend the Brie platter. Desert was excellent. Off the beaten path but definitely worth the visit.Special Features:
- Great small plates and cocktailsLarryVIPDined on 4/20/2014We were very pleased with every aspect of our dinner- all the small plates were very tasty and the presentations were excellent. Great cocktails, i.e Sidecar.
- What a surprise!PattayDined on 4/20/2014I live in Virginia and was looking for a nice place to take my mother for Easter in the Catonsville area. The Rumor Mill received wonderful reviews on several sites. My husband, mother and I all were delighted to find such a special place hidden in Ellicot City! The food was original and delicious! Kelly, our waitress was delightful. To top it all off, Chef Matthew came out to speak to us. His enthusiasm was contagious. We will be back even though it is an hour and a half drive for us!Special Features:
- Another great eveningEvelynDined on 4/18/2014As always The Rumor Mill exceeds expectations. We brought a "newbie" with us and she was so delighted with the experience she decided to join us for the 7th Anniversary "Mystery Box Dinner" on the 27th. Our waitress noticed that we had gifts for her and asked if it was for a birthday celebration. The Rumor Mill is fabulous because they don't sing at your table and create a scene, (although, I am sure if someone wanted that, they would accommodate) instead, they brought her dessert out with a lovely little edible piece of candy that said "Happy Birthday". Our guest was very pleased.Special Features:
- Great Dinner at the Rumor MillDinnerOutDined on 4/16/2014Six of us, from 25 years to 63 years, dined at the Rumor Mill in Ellicott City on Wednesday night. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their dining experience which is not always easy when you have a vegetarian, someone on a clean eating diet, and a meat-lover. The night was a home run.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.