The Rowhouse Grille
1400 South Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Rowhouse Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://therowhousegrille.com/
- Phone: (443) 438-7289
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tess Mosley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout
- Special Events: Please ask us about our chef's table
- Public Transit: Charm City Circulator stops one block north of the Rowhouse (Ostend Street Stop).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Non-permit parking available on select sections of Light Street. The West Street Parking Garage offers hourly parking options and is located two blocks north of The Rowhouse. Valet Friday and Saturdays Only!
A word from The Rowhouse Grille
The Rowhouse Grille is Federal Hill's neighborhood tavern with worldly offerings. Our two bars and dining rooms provide the perfect casual environment in which to enjoy Executive Chef Tess Mosley's creative execution of American cuisine. With 16 taps in the house, the draft beer selection is consistently varied and changing, featuring craft beers both local and otherwise. Our house specialty is mussels prepared in classic French Bistro fashion, but in a variety of ever-changing broths. If you enjoy mussels, you do not want to leave without having them here. A given week's specials draw inspiration from fresh seasonal ingredients and evolve as the seasons unfold. Daily specials include discounted mussels on Mondays (and the debut of at least one broth), Half price bottles of wine and a fresh seafood dish on Tuesday. Join us Monday through Sunday, and see what a great neighborhood tavern can really be. If inquiring about the tasting bar, please call the restaurant to confirm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Rowhouse Grille - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
The Rowhouse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (27)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)romantic (7)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DLWrDined on 11/10/2014A group of 4 of us went out on a Monday evening for dinner. Our server was excellent and everyone enjoyed their food. Didn't hear one complaint from anyone. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- My regular spotPDR2VIPDined on 10/27/2014This spot is probably less than 100 ft away from my place, so I frequent it because it brings the high quality and the best grapefruit crushes in town. I had the chicken and waffles and they were incredibly delicious. The only negative of the night was that they ran out of bread for Mussels Monday, and one of my dining mates was very disappointed in that. The server handled it beautifully with politeness and class.Special Features:
- Livery consistentDiner2VIPDined on 10/20/2014Kangaroo special was great, and our service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect start to a Ravens gameday!EricVIPDined on 10/19/2014Brunch at the Rowhouse Grille was a great way to kick-off a day of food and football downtown. I had a crab, cheddar, and asparagus omelete that was sensational, and enjoyed the single spiciest bloody mary I've ever tried - a Habanero Bloody Mary. Walking distance to M&T Bank Stadium. A spectacular experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeesawSummerBreezeDined on 10/18/2014When they accept reservations for a party of 7, being crowded to a table for 6 was unacceptable. Only of 4 of 7 had good meals. The Salmon with brussel sprouts was its normal excellent meal and was the Crab Mac & Cheese. Samon fish tacos were soggie, turkey burger was bland and the mussels were verging on tasteless. Consistency is a key to success. They lost the keys. The music was not what most people thought compatible for dining. The constant strong base line was monotonous and annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMHB13VIPDined on 10/18/2014The people working there were very nice and the service was great. I just wish that the food had been better. I ordered something simple: mussels. The broth it came in was alright, but the mussels were TINY. I mean, I've never seen mussels so small in my life. They were barely as big as my pinky nail. My husband ordered fish tacos and couldn't even finish them, they were so flavorless. It's a good space and I like that they offer free valet parking for patrons, but they really need to step up their game in the kitchen. We didn't have high expectations going in- just basic pub fare- but they came up really short of our not-so-high bar.
- Highest PraisebaltobabeVIPDined on 10/15/2014Came to scope this place out as a possible stand-by to send guests from any one of 3 Marriott properties in the area. Both myself and an associate were blown away at the friendly, attentive service we were given throughout the entire dining experience. Multiple employees assisted with taking our order, serving food, and checking in on us. The bartender, Amanda, even made lemonade from scratch after the tap has run out. Talk about above and beyond!! KUDOS to you girl!! Food was spectacular - definitely reccommend the fsh tacos or PEI mussels. I've already started sending parties over and cant wait to go back there myself! Wonderful experience, fantastic food, and service that is a rare gem. Thank you so much!!Special Features:
- Neighborhood FindResmDined on 10/10/2014The Rowhouse Grille is a good addition to the neighborhood. It had decent food, in fact the mac and cheese was great, but the cheese plate itself was either too small or way overly priced. Good as ling as you are there early and the servers seemed to work well together. It was an average bar for the area.Special Features:
- Good solid place to eatChrisVIPDined on 10/7/2014Good little place to eat. The food is well prepared and very tasty. recommend making reservations and or get in there early. The only downside was the lack of chicken in the Buffalo chicken wing dip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot after Orioles GameJnaylorjrVIPDined on 10/3/2014Perfect place to celebrate Orioles game. Fun food, good beer and great crowd, perfect service.Special Features:
- Where have you been all my life!MareMagsVIPDined on 9/27/2014Made plans to attend after Book Festival-highlight of the day! DO NOT MISS the mussels with sundried tom sauce, mac n cheese or the turkey burger. Phenomenal. Housemade chips are both salty and sweet. A special sandwich of pulled pork was served on an outstanding torpedo roll that encased the fries, sauces, garnish and pulled pork. Rownuts are a stuffed doughnut dessert. The nutella almond joy is pure heaven. Great selection of icy beers too. Server was a delight as was the owner who stopped by our table. Already made another reservation. GO PEOPLE GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodSanateeDined on 9/13/2014All of our food was outstanding, especially the mussels which are available 5 different ways. Steak frites was perfectly cooked, tender and tasty. Service was great....primary server was assisted by other severs when needed. Good beer and wine selection. Only negative was a very loud college alumni group in adjacent room, but this is probably just an issue on football days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, butmarcVIPDined on 9/3/2014the parking is terrible. Being located in a residential neighborhood with on street parking, is just part of the experience.Special Features:
- Mussels were OKKathyVIPDined on 9/1/2014We went to the Rowhouse Grille the day after Labor Day. They were out of almost everything on the menu AND the wine list! The mussels were well cooked, but the wine sauce was nothing special.
- Always enjoyDiner2VIPDined on 8/20/2014The Rowhouse has become our favorite bar that serves fresh food in baltimore. I heard they are getting outside seating and live entertainment. Can't wait for thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FIndtrynewDined on 8/12/2014We went for Restaurant Week. The food was excellent. I had the Sweet Chili Salmon and my wife had the Roseda Farms Sirloin. The Chocolate Terrine was good but very small (the size of 2 postage stamps). Don't know if the size of desert was modified for Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Delicious!ChadDined on 8/8/2014Salmon was amazing! Great Happy hour as well. We will be back next time we are in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite BarRavensFan8511Dined on 8/8/2014My wife and I love this place -- intimate, but with outstanding service and delicious food. It's our #1 destination before Ravens games because of the great brunch items and wide beer selection. Put it this way, we're suburbanites. But, I an strongly considering moving to FedHill just so I can visit this place every day!Special Features:
- Fun Neighborhood PlacebellsterDined on 8/3/2014The neighborhood is fun and energetic. The food was excellent! Nice variety of foods, and every dish was perfection! The noise level is energetic, so not a place for a quiet dinner! Parking can be challenging, but the tasty food is wrth it!Special Features:
- The following 160 reviews are from the The Rowhouse Grille reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We could not make up our minds regarding what we wanted to eat. Our waiter was so patient with us. He was attentive but not pushy nor making us feel rushed. We were ordering our food one dish at a time but he really did not seem to mind. We have been there several times and always have excellent service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!wimpygirlsDined on 6/7/2014The food was delicious and they had several interesting drinks - the Dark & Stormy was especially good. We went for dinner, but it looks like a great place to watch the game. Nice bar with windows opening right out into the street.Special Features:
- SpecialsDiner2VIPDined on 5/5/2014We love the row house , and now they are starting to put more specials that are appealing to the regular customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchhungrybmoreguyDined on 5/3/2014I enjoyed Saturday lunch there. I was hoping for brunch, but I didn't realize their brunch is only served on Sunday. Still, I enjoyed it and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rowhouse dinnerStephanieDined on 4/26/2014The service was excellent, very accommodating as we changed our group size and they were very flexible. Several menu items were not available this particular time we visited. The orioles game was on so that we could watch from our seats which was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and ReliablePhillyexpatsVIPDined on 3/21/2014We come here often and the food is always interesting and well prepared. Excellent salads. A cut above most of the other Federal Hill places. Noise level not bad on this visit, but it can be a problem with the wrong crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good happy hour drink prices.BonsoVIPDined on 3/14/2014Good happy hour drink prices. Happy hour food limited and tiny portions. Dinner was ok, service was good.
- Great food and serviceDiner2VIPDined on 3/12/2014We got the sweet chili salmon which was great and the steak special. Great chimmichurri sauce!!! Entrees were priced at $19/$20 which we thought was great for the quaility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One bad shrimp dish spoils dinnertpetchyDined on 3/11/2014We were traveling through Baltimore and decided to use my newly downloaded OpenTable cell phone app to find a place to eat because we were unfamiliar with the city. It is a nice friendly local bar and grill. The food was good tasting and the service was great but I have to down vote it because of one of my pet peeves. I dislike any food that has the shrimp half pealed especially, when it is covered with a sauce. It’s not bad when the shrimp is plain on the plate or hanging from a cocktail glass but when used in a recipe and covered in a sauce, it is just not right. How do you delicately take off the shell? Do you just cut it off and discard it? I ordered the Row Row Shrimp and every piece still had the shell firmly in place.Special Features:
- Just OKJ2014Dined on 3/4/2014Diner here while attending a conference. This is a nice neighborhood bar with dining room. Burgers were good but nothing special. Very small room to dine in as the upsatirs room was closed for painting.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceostrdmDined on 2/28/2014I always enjoy my dining experiences with The Rowhouse. The staff is very friendly and the other patrons always make it a comfortable atmosphere. This night was a little loud but we still had a nice time. I would recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and attentive staff.KinsgirlVIPDined on 2/25/2014Friendly and attentive staff. Really nice neighborhood bar with lots of charm. Two of each ordered a steak entree. The food was adequate at best. The happy hour was definitely worth it - great bargains and I would come back again to try some of the appetizers but I probably won't have dinner there.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week, 2014emc417Dined on 2/23/2014My boyfriend and I went for brunch expecting a Restaurant Week deal because $15 brunch was advertised online. Although this was apparently not the case and the waitstaff had not heard of the deal, the meal was still very good. I've never had crunchy french toast before, definitely worth the trek down southSpecial Features:
- restaurant week dinnerwillemDined on 2/22/2014We had never heard of the restaurant but decided to try it out during restaurant week. We liked the idea there was valet parkingeven if we had to wait some time to get hold of the valet; it seemed to be a lot of work for just one guy. The waitress was wonderful and part of the reason we enjoyed the experience as much as we did was because of her. While she was very busy, she was also always very nice. The restaurant has a beautiful bar where you enter and we decided to check that one out sometimes in the not to distant future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time thereanoninfedDined on 2/20/2014I was looking for a quiet little restaurant to have a dinner for 2. We were seated upstairs. The food was fantastic and the service was great too, but where we were seated wasn't what I was looking for. I had a clear view of the kitchen, which wouldn't be bad, but the overhead light was glaring back at me the whole time. And a group was seated near us that was really loud....especially for the seating area. I would absolutely go back though. Luck of the draw on the seats.Special Features:
- Went two nights in a rowFranVIPDined on 2/20/2014A friend invited me to dinner during restaurant week. It was so good I took my wife there the following night. It's Federal Hill, so parking can be a challenge. Orbit a few time then go to the parking garage on West Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deaf groupKeithVIPDined on 2/14/2014Great Valentines Day event. Everyone in our group enjoyed every minute of the dining experience. The wild boar tenderloin was very good! We def will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall good but not val daysusanmkVIPDined on 2/14/2014I love Rowhouse. Mostly for their fantastic mussels. The absolute BEST. If you at all like them-- you'll love all the different ways they do it here. If you are going on Valentine's Day or any day they are busy and have a pre-fixe-- there will be NO mussels. Wha???? My request to management--- order as many mussels as possible on big holidays. If you run out--- OK. But why NO mussels on valentine's day? Also, I think we went here on new year's eve, same thing. It's like-- if we can't give it to everyone we'll give it to no one. I recommend this place all the time to people. I will never go on any holiday going forward, though, unless they change their policy of not having their absolute best primo dish available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so foodCityslickerVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great. We dined there for valentines dinner. There was a prix fixe menu without any exceptions. My husband was late and I couldn't even order off the standard menu while I waited. Not even bread. My oysters were very good. But my lollipop lambchops were a little chewy and difficult to eat. My dessert unimpressive. With so few options you really expect the offerings to be exceptional.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLindsDined on 1/17/2014My friend and I had a lovely time catching up over good food and nice wine. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemWK1fanVIPDined on 1/4/2014This was a great spot. They have valet parking on Friday and Saturday and that was a plus. Food was great! Will definitely eat there again.Special Features: