The Rowhouse Grille
1400 South Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Rowhouse Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://therowhousegrille.com/
- Phone: 4434387289
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tess Mosley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout
- Special Events: Please ask us about our chef's table
- Public Transit: Charm City Circulator stops one block north of the Rowhouse (Ostend Street Stop).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Non-permit parking available on select sections of Light Street. The West Street Parking Garage offers hourly parking options and is located two blocks north of The Rowhouse. Valet Friday and Saturdays Only!
A word from The Rowhouse Grille
The Rowhouse Grille is Federal Hill's neighborhood tavern with worldly offerings. Our two bars and dining rooms provide the perfect casual environment in which to enjoy Executive Chef Tess Mosley's creative execution of American cuisine. With 16 taps in the house, the draft beer selection is consistently varied and changing, featuring craft beers both local and otherwise. Our house specialty is mussels prepared in classic French Bistro fashion, but in a variety of ever-changing broths. If you enjoy mussels, you do not want to leave without having them here. A given week's specials draw inspiration from fresh seasonal ingredients and evolve as the seasons unfold. Daily specials include discounted mussels on Mondays (and the debut of at least one broth), Half price bottles of wine and a fresh seafood dish on Tuesday. Join us Monday through Sunday, and see what a great neighborhood tavern can really be. If inquiring about the tasting bar, please call the restaurant to confirm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Rowhouse Grille - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
The Rowhouse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (13)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (5)good for groups (5)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Outstanding foodSanateeDined on 9/13/2014All of our food was outstanding, especially the mussels which are available 5 different ways. Steak frites was perfectly cooked, tender and tasty. Service was great....primary server was assisted by other severs when needed. Good beer and wine selection. Only negative was a very loud college alumni group in adjacent room, but this is probably just an issue on football days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, butmarcVIPDined on 9/3/2014the parking is terrible. Being located in a residential neighborhood with on street parking, is just part of the experience.Special Features:
- Mussels were OKKathyVIPDined on 9/1/2014We went to the Rowhouse Grille the day after Labor Day. They were out of almost everything on the menu AND the wine list! The mussels were well cooked, but the wine sauce was nothing special.
- Always enjoyDiner2VIPDined on 8/20/2014The Rowhouse has become our favorite bar that serves fresh food in baltimore. I heard they are getting outside seating and live entertainment. Can't wait for thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FIndtrynewDined on 8/12/2014We went for Restaurant Week. The food was excellent. I had the Sweet Chili Salmon and my wife had the Roseda Farms Sirloin. The Chocolate Terrine was good but very small (the size of 2 postage stamps). Don't know if the size of desert was modified for Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Delicious!ChadDined on 8/8/2014Salmon was amazing! Great Happy hour as well. We will be back next time we are in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite BarRavensFan8511Dined on 8/8/2014My wife and I love this place -- intimate, but with outstanding service and delicious food. It's our #1 destination before Ravens games because of the great brunch items and wide beer selection. Put it this way, we're suburbanites. But, I an strongly considering moving to FedHill just so I can visit this place every day!Special Features:
- Fun Neighborhood PlacebellsterDined on 8/3/2014The neighborhood is fun and energetic. The food was excellent! Nice variety of foods, and every dish was perfection! The noise level is energetic, so not a place for a quiet dinner! Parking can be challenging, but the tasty food is wrth it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We could not make up our minds regarding what we wanted to eat. Our waiter was so patient with us. He was attentive but not pushy nor making us feel rushed. We were ordering our food one dish at a time but he really did not seem to mind. We have been there several times and always have excellent service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!wimpygirlsDined on 6/7/2014The food was delicious and they had several interesting drinks - the Dark & Stormy was especially good. We went for dinner, but it looks like a great place to watch the game. Nice bar with windows opening right out into the street.Special Features:
- The following 158 reviews are from the The Rowhouse Grille reviews archive.
- SpecialsDiner2VIPDined on 5/5/2014We love the row house , and now they are starting to put more specials that are appealing to the regular customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchhungrybmoreguyDined on 5/3/2014I enjoyed Saturday lunch there. I was hoping for brunch, but I didn't realize their brunch is only served on Sunday. Still, I enjoyed it and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rowhouse dinnerStephanieDined on 4/26/2014The service was excellent, very accommodating as we changed our group size and they were very flexible. Several menu items were not available this particular time we visited. The orioles game was on so that we could watch from our seats which was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and ReliablePhillyexpatsVIPDined on 3/21/2014We come here often and the food is always interesting and well prepared. Excellent salads. A cut above most of the other Federal Hill places. Noise level not bad on this visit, but it can be a problem with the wrong crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good happy hour drink prices.BonsoVIPDined on 3/14/2014Good happy hour drink prices. Happy hour food limited and tiny portions. Dinner was ok, service was good.
- Great food and serviceDiner2VIPDined on 3/12/2014We got the sweet chili salmon which was great and the steak special. Great chimmichurri sauce!!! Entrees were priced at $19/$20 which we thought was great for the quaility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One bad shrimp dish spoils dinnertpetchyDined on 3/11/2014We were traveling through Baltimore and decided to use my newly downloaded OpenTable cell phone app to find a place to eat because we were unfamiliar with the city. It is a nice friendly local bar and grill. The food was good tasting and the service was great but I have to down vote it because of one of my pet peeves. I dislike any food that has the shrimp half pealed especially, when it is covered with a sauce. It’s not bad when the shrimp is plain on the plate or hanging from a cocktail glass but when used in a recipe and covered in a sauce, it is just not right. How do you delicately take off the shell? Do you just cut it off and discard it? I ordered the Row Row Shrimp and every piece still had the shell firmly in place.Special Features:
- Just OKJ2014Dined on 3/4/2014Diner here while attending a conference. This is a nice neighborhood bar with dining room. Burgers were good but nothing special. Very small room to dine in as the upsatirs room was closed for painting.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceostrdmDined on 2/28/2014I always enjoy my dining experiences with The Rowhouse. The staff is very friendly and the other patrons always make it a comfortable atmosphere. This night was a little loud but we still had a nice time. I would recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and attentive staff.KinsgirlVIPDined on 2/25/2014Friendly and attentive staff. Really nice neighborhood bar with lots of charm. Two of each ordered a steak entree. The food was adequate at best. The happy hour was definitely worth it - great bargains and I would come back again to try some of the appetizers but I probably won't have dinner there.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week, 2014emc417Dined on 2/23/2014My boyfriend and I went for brunch expecting a Restaurant Week deal because $15 brunch was advertised online. Although this was apparently not the case and the waitstaff had not heard of the deal, the meal was still very good. I've never had crunchy french toast before, definitely worth the trek down southSpecial Features:
- restaurant week dinnerwillemDined on 2/22/2014We had never heard of the restaurant but decided to try it out during restaurant week. We liked the idea there was valet parkingeven if we had to wait some time to get hold of the valet; it seemed to be a lot of work for just one guy. The waitress was wonderful and part of the reason we enjoyed the experience as much as we did was because of her. While she was very busy, she was also always very nice. The restaurant has a beautiful bar where you enter and we decided to check that one out sometimes in the not to distant future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time thereanoninfedDined on 2/20/2014I was looking for a quiet little restaurant to have a dinner for 2. We were seated upstairs. The food was fantastic and the service was great too, but where we were seated wasn't what I was looking for. I had a clear view of the kitchen, which wouldn't be bad, but the overhead light was glaring back at me the whole time. And a group was seated near us that was really loud....especially for the seating area. I would absolutely go back though. Luck of the draw on the seats.Special Features:
- Went two nights in a rowFranVIPDined on 2/20/2014A friend invited me to dinner during restaurant week. It was so good I took my wife there the following night. It's Federal Hill, so parking can be a challenge. Orbit a few time then go to the parking garage on West Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deaf groupKeithVIPDined on 2/14/2014Great Valentines Day event. Everyone in our group enjoyed every minute of the dining experience. The wild boar tenderloin was very good! We def will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall good but not val daysusanmkVIPDined on 2/14/2014I love Rowhouse. Mostly for their fantastic mussels. The absolute BEST. If you at all like them-- you'll love all the different ways they do it here. If you are going on Valentine's Day or any day they are busy and have a pre-fixe-- there will be NO mussels. Wha???? My request to management--- order as many mussels as possible on big holidays. If you run out--- OK. But why NO mussels on valentine's day? Also, I think we went here on new year's eve, same thing. It's like-- if we can't give it to everyone we'll give it to no one. I recommend this place all the time to people. I will never go on any holiday going forward, though, unless they change their policy of not having their absolute best primo dish available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so foodCityslickerVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great. We dined there for valentines dinner. There was a prix fixe menu without any exceptions. My husband was late and I couldn't even order off the standard menu while I waited. Not even bread. My oysters were very good. But my lollipop lambchops were a little chewy and difficult to eat. My dessert unimpressive. With so few options you really expect the offerings to be exceptional.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLindsDined on 1/17/2014My friend and I had a lovely time catching up over good food and nice wine. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemWK1fanVIPDined on 1/4/2014This was a great spot. They have valet parking on Friday and Saturday and that was a plus. Food was great! Will definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- Pleasant and RelaxedcvdinerDined on 12/21/2013The casual warmth of the Rowhouse Grill makes it a great place for a relaxing dinner. We had great rye Manhattans and our meals were ok - not great. The service was also ok but not great. That said it was very pleasant to be invited to stay as long as we liked once we were done eating. I'd go back for the pleasant atmosphere and reasonable prices (and that Manhattan!).Special Features:
- We were a little disappointedWmgldgVIPDined on 12/7/2013We were a little disappointed to find a new menu. My husband had his heart set on the chili glazed salmon which is no longer offered. He got the salmon dish that was on the menu and said it was still good, but not as good as the chili glazed. The onion soup was excellent. I got the eggplant parmesan which was very good and very filling - even though it was described as an appetizer portion. My only real complaint was that it was very cold in the restaurant so as much as we enjoyed the food, I couldn't wait to finish and leave so I could finally get warm! This is still one of our favorite places, so we will definitely return. The wait staff as always were very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- great food, decent beer list.anonDined on 12/6/2013great food, decent beer list. quiet upstairs with bar scene downstairs. would definitely go here again. great for a date night, family outting, or just to grab a few drinksSpecial Features:
- Excellent FindTomLightVIPDined on 12/5/2013This was our first time to Rowhouse Grill and we loved it. The food was great and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood "pub"OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/2/2013Staff was very friendly and the food was worth coming back, especially the seafood mac-n-cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food, fun with friends, and valueProfessorKDined on 11/28/2013Just a wonderful, cozy and reasonable place to have a tasty meal, a good drink and to have the wait staff truly listen to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time!BethDined on 11/23/2013We had a party of 12 and the service, food and atmosphere was great!!Special Features:
- dinner for twoWyecrabberDined on 11/22/2013Sangria was very good. Two entries were Jambalaya and salad plate. Both were very good. We cut ourselves short by only having a 90 minute window before the show at the hippodrome. This is the type of place where you want to relax and sit back. We were seated downstairs. Make sure you have reservations -- this placed filled up by 6:30. Will definitey go back again. Tory was our waitress and did a very job job taking care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good pricesShelingassisDined on 11/16/2013We had a 6:30 Saturday night reservation and were seated on the upper level. The food was very good and well priced. When we arrived the bar downstairs was almost completely empty. When we left it was hopping. Our section in the front-upstairs was relatively quiet, so it was a nice place to have dinner. It can be louder in other sections. We would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leave room for dessert.visitorDined on 11/13/2013Delicious burgers and don't miss the wonderful desserts ! (traditional caramel and vanilla croissant) Good (on tap) beer selections. Good place to eat and hang with a few friends. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and serviceLocalGalDined on 11/8/2013Our meal was really excellent. We gave them a very good because the fish tacos had a bit too much rice but someone might like that. The eggplant appetizer was more than I expected for taste as well as amount, and the salad wedge was superb! Our seat was near the door though and it was a little chilly. If you go on a cold night ask for a table upstairs. Service was very friendly and accommodating. I noticed a couple people on dates as well as a few families with the youngest group member being over 21. Perhaps a college weekend break with mom and dad. We were gone by 7:30p so not sure what the bar scene is like. If you are looking for really good food in a cozy, affordable spot this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.